Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#889381 10/09/00 04:40 PM
E
eliza52 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I've seen this phrase alot, referring to a <BR>"protection" mode. Is this healthy? I think<BR>I may have started my own emotional detatchment. I don't feel as much hurt, jealousy, etc this week.<BR>Jessica

#889382 10/09/00 04:52 PM
D
D
Eliza,<P>I went through the same thing while back. Though I still have ups and downs, they are more focused on my progress as I change and the progrees I am making with my W than on the A. I believe it is a protective mode, but it also shows that you are growing beyond the horror and insecurities of the A. <P>I was warned by Steve Harley to keep the mode in perspective and to not let it run away with you. He feels that you can get addicted to the feeling of independence that comes with detachment and you can actually feel that you don't need your spouse anymore for happiness. I suppose that is fine if your marriage is really over, but in my case I want to repair my marriage, so I have become a litte more careful or at least aware of how I handle my detachment. <P>I remind myself frequently that my detachment is really from the grip the affair itself and not from my W.<P>Anyway, it sounds like you are making good progress getting through a tough stage and putting the A where it belongs....the past. The present and future are the only things you have a say in.<P>Good luck.<P>Bob

#889383 10/09/00 09:44 PM
A
A
Hi Eliza,<P>I guess it's not a healthy thing, but it feels a little better than hurting dont you think?<P>It seems like a basic human need, protection of ourselves. I think it's biological in a way, very natural at least. It's going to be hard for me to follow Dynamo's advice. I am exhausted from worrying and thinking about this...dreaming about this, it invades way too much of my time. <P>My H is dating...not the woman he had the two year affair with, but someone he went to high school with (30 years ago). What am I supposed to do with that? Their reunion is this weekend...am I supposed to hurt all the way through it, or should I let myself feel the pain, knowing that they are together?<P>I don't know...I'm reading a book that tells you to step into your pain, to embrace it, but it's just too much to expect of myself. A human can only take so much.<P>Tell me more about your situation Eliza...I don't know your story...<P>allison

#889384 10/09/00 09:48 PM
A
A
OMG Eliza,<P>I just looked at your profile. I live in Peoria, Az too. Near Arrowhead mall. Too weird huh?

#889385 10/12/00 07:42 AM
E
eliza52 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the replies. It is much better than hurting all the time. I feel a little<BR>bit of freedom and relief, in the way that<BR>I don't have to deal with all the hurt, anger, sadness, etc that I have been dealing with for 10 months. I know that these feelings are still there, but I feel like I'm<BR>getting a "break". It makes me feel stronger. And yes, I believe the marriage is over. I have put 10 months into saving the relationship, but 1 person can't fix a marriage. By the way, azallison, I am at Grnwy & I17. Really close huh? I will update my story later today, I don't feel like going through all the details right now.<BR>Thanks<BR>Jessica

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 260 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation