Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
My wife is the WS.<P>Her.<P>1. No ( I think)<BR>2. Yes - recently<BR>3. Yes <P>Me<BR>1. No<BR>2. Only in Junior High and last year<BR>3. Yes - Mother WS when I was 4 but I didn’t know until I was 26 when Father did the same claiming he never recovered from mother's infidelity. They're still together and seem happy.<BR>

P
P
Not abused<BR>Some body image issues, but generally good self esteem<BR>Parents have great marriage -- no betrayals

T
T
I am the WS..and to answer these questions..<P>How many WS out there have been sexually abused as children? YES!!<P>Does the WS have self-esteem issues? I did..have been in counseling for over a year..and it has helped..<P>Does the WS have parents or parental figures who betrayed a partner? and yes..<P>And Khyra...I know it has alot to do with why <BR>I had the affair..<P>and Rax..yes Healing can occur..and as far as having a healthy relationship after the healing occurs..I believe it can happen..I haven't found it yet..but I believe that one day..I'll have that...<P>for those who have been abused..and those<BR>who have spouses who have been abused..check out this site..http://www.nhhi.net<P>and rax..if you'd like to know how to help her there are support groups for SO's in these relationships..if you'd like more<BR>info I'd be happy to discuss it with you...<P><BR>

T
T
so whats the count

S
S
My wife is the WS:<P>1. yes, by one of her step fathers.<BR>2. yes<BR>3. yes, mother carried on a 10 year affair with a married man. Bio-father had several affairs. <P>SHA

S
S
Husband was WS<P>1. No sexual abuse for him.<BR>2. Yes he had self esteme issues and was depressed, but who isn't when they are in a bad marriage? Also midlife crisis.<BR>3. Yes, his father did and left his Mom once, came back when OW wouldn't leave her husband and marry him (she was pregnant at the time.) Five years later he left for good, none of us know if infidelity was an active part of that or the residual effect. (an interesting turn on this is that his sister had an affair at the same time my hubby did, but she left her husband and ended up marrying her affair partner. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Our daughter and his sister's son were nearly exactly the same age that they each were when their father had the affair. Spooky huh? )<P>------------------<BR><B>God bless you and all of us. We are all going to make it, all of us! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] With God on our side we can't lose! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] What God has joined together let no man put asunder. <P>Samantha</B><p>[This message has been edited by A blessed Samantha (edited December 19, 2000).]

M
M
I was a WS--<P>How many WS out there have been sexually abused as children? <B>I have never been abused at all, sexually or otherwise.</B><P>Does the WS have self-esteem issues? <B>Yes, very much so.</B><P>Does the WS have parents or parental figures who betrayed a partner? <B>No, neither one of my parents had an affair.</B><P><BR>

G
G
Yes <BR>Yes <BR>Yes<P>My WS was raised by his granparents, who had an on again off again relationship for many years. When he was 12 his mother popped back into his life. She was an alcoholic, very verbally and physically abusive. He was sexually abused by his uncle. He has never met his real father.<P>I beleived he always has low self asteem it showed with me, however he his it from everyone else by acting like the clown of the party.<P>I have always felt my WS had some sort of depression weather manic or regular. Could never confirm it. He would not go to counseling.<P>I was the longest relationship he ever had. Throughout our marriage friends came and went with him. Once the novelty wears off he is done. He seemed to never be happy with anything. He wanted and wanted once he got it the high was gone and on to the next.<P>Good survey.<P>

B
B
H is the WS<P>no<BR>no<BR>yes, his mother was a WS with someone in a neighboring state (her home state, but not home city). The kicker? she took her son (my H) with her (this was about 5 years ago) to throw her S off the trail. She invited me to go along with them (this was thanksgiving in a resort town in AR) to distract her son (my then boyfriend, now H).<P>We didn't learn of the A until after we got back, when the OM's girlfriend had called to tell her husband of the A.<P>What a glowing example of parental role modeling.<P>My H's father went kinda psycho. He was taping his WS's phone calls, and playing them back to my H (then boyfriend). And laying in bed and trying to die. <P>I have to say I am not surprised things have turned out this way.<P>My H's parents are still married, and still very wierd. His mother still doesn't know that my H knows.<P>In addition, you would think that after all my H's father has been through, he would kick my H's butt and try and get him to work on his marriage, you know haveing been the BS and all....<P>BD

W
wld Offline
W
No<BR>Yes<BR>Yes-ish<P>My w have low self-esteem. Never been sexually abused as a child to my knowledge (clearly we have trust issues). Her mother was treated poorly by her father (he talked of having her committed at one point), but I don't believe either one of them ever had an affair.

R
rax Offline
R
thornedrose- <BR>i'd like to know more- i am the one who was sexaully abused and my H does know about it but i believe that it does effect our relationship- so i would luv to know anything i can-thks<P>rax<P>

T
T
Rax,<P>what would you like to know? you can e-mail<BR>me at cornerp@theglobe.com <P>It effects how you view yourself, because<BR>if like myself it was something that happened over a period of years..all the things you<BR>believe about yourself are wrong..and you have to relearn how you view yourself..<BR>which takes time..I know for me I've been in counseling for this the past year..and as I grow stronger emotionally it's caused more<BR>problems in the marriage..like..I used to tolerate my stbx's drinking..I hated it..because it caused LOTS of triggers..(memories of the abuse) <P>if you check out the <A HREF="http://www.nhhi.net" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nhhi.net</A> <BR>forum also..has some helps there..and you can<BR>post questions, or just vent..<p>[This message has been edited by ThornedRose (edited December 22, 2000).]

T
T
How many WS out there have been sexually abused as children?<P>Not that I am aware of, although there are a few "family secrets" that I have never learned any details of.<P>Does the WS have self-esteem issues?<P>He would say no, but I believe yes. He thinks he is not smart - but he is very smart. Unfortunately, that was one of the things I feel very badly about not helping him with - in fact I feel like I contributed to that during my own depression.<P>Does the WS have parents or parental figures who betrayed a partner?<P>Not in the sense of cheating... but my husband's father was killed in a truck accident when he was 17 (he is going to be 36 next year), and his mother never recovered ... I think my husband never did, either, and he and his father were very close. I know he feels betrayed by God, even to this day.<BR><P>------------------<BR>terri<BR><B>Courage</B><P>Whatever course you decide upon,<BR>there is always someone to tell you<BR>that you are wrong.<P>There are always difficulties arising<BR>which tempt you to believe that your <BR>critics are right.<P>To map out a course of action <BR>and follow it to an end <BR>requires courage.<P><I>Ralph Waldo Emerson</I>

A
A
My H is the WS<P>1. No<BR>2. Yes, big time. He has a number of issues, two the most important I guess are he doesn't trust himself and he has permanent fear of rejection. Needs constant undivided attention, admiration ... I can't figure out where the root is, but, after knowing him for 17 years (married 14) I can honestly tell he is openminded, intelligent, educated, caring, gentle person, capable and highly successful on his job and sport. I always thought he was great father and husband. he is also fairly good looking ... so, when it comes to reasons for self-esteem issues I'm confused. <P>3. No, not to my knowledge, but father treated mother pretty badly, never appreciated her as a person, nor her contribution to the family. Never showed her affection, nor calling her by name when talking about her (just "she" or "mother").

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation