Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Well...<p>Brought up moving out of state ...even out of country by the next school year...<p>H asked why... I said to give us a fresh start... he said that he figured that was what I was thinking...<p>funny thing though, I mentioned Toronto as a possible place and he really got interested... started doing searches on the internet of job prospects... housing... immigration stuff... and now is talking about 'when' we move to Canada...<p>I know this is a common thing and even the Harley's sanction a move to a new place... <p>So, new_beginning, or others of you in Canada, got any info for me? LOL... maybe the 10 top things to know if you're moving to Canada? <shaking my head><p>Cali<p>[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Cali ]</p>

B
B
What do you need to know?....
What kind of work are you looking for?
There are alot of great cities/towns near Toronto that are alot more affordable......ask anything you want and i'll do my best to answer....
Here's a starter for your top 10
1) You can bring shorts...doesn't snow for 12 months
2) Learn to say EH after a sentence
3) Read a book about Hockey..it's our passion
4) The police don't ride horses (most don't)
5) You may never see a bear or moose
6) Buy pants with thick pockets...We have $1 and $2 dollar coins (no more bills) and talking about a $5 dollar coin
7) The beer and wine are great
8) They don't turn Niagara Falls off at night
9) Ottawa is the capital
10) UNFORTUNATELY affairs are just as common here as in the U.S.
Good Luck..It's a beautiful
Country

N
N
I was just about to sign off... glad I saw this before I did...<p>Okay, here's the scoop:<p>I live in the east, but have been to the West and the middle, and it's all lovely... the changing seasons are awesome! In the east, the lakes make it so neato, and almost look like an ocean they're so HUGE! It gets very humid in the summer though, which can be kinda sticky. The winters here are freezing-a$$ cold and although last year there was 3 ft. of snow by this time, this year there has only been two snowfalls, leaving about an inch of snow on the ground. I like it a lot here.<p>You won't find the following here - good Mexican food, iced tea that isn't flavored and sugered up BIG TIME, StarKist Tuna... but there are some really interesting things I've never seen, like "Olive Bars" with 20 different kinds of olives!<p>The people are wonderfully welcoming, and I have had no problems with being discriminated against or feeling anything less than completely accepted (by doctors or banks, that kind of thing)...<p>...except for one thing: IMMIGRATION!! Egads!!! It's the worst!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Here's a quick lesson in immigration:<p>Get $2000 if you have someone to sponsor you, $15,000 if you will sponsor yourself<p>Plan to take six months to get all paperwork together - medical exams, criminal checks, etc.<p>Get all financials together and be prepared to discuss everything at length<p>We have done all paperwork but no longer have the money to file. Being married to a citizen doesn't matter. <p>Aside from the immigration, I have found this experience to be very positive... but of course, I came here and married my H, so what would you expect, right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Ask any specific questions and I will be happy to answer them!!

B
B
Thanks for your reply, just finished your top 10 and saw you replied to my post....thanks, i'm trying but it gets hard at times

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Bruin4...<p>Well most people don't know it...but Michigan has an Upper Peninsula... even the Trolls (Lower Michigan people) think it's part of Canada...so I have the eh part down... I went to high school in a small yooper town (Norway)... so I'm even aware of the climate [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] ...<p>How's the job market for teachers? Is it hard for an out-of-country person to get employment?<p>Yeeks! new_beginning... maybe we will have to look into a 'teacher exchange program'...<p>Guess I will have my H do the 'research.' No way do I want to be the one to educate him on how costly it is... I think he thinks it is just like relocating to another state...

N
N
Did I mention that you CAN'T WORK until you have landed immigrant status? <p>That's what I'm trying to get...

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
I've already been looking at teacher recruitment sites... so I had the 'landed immigration' status noted... just wasn't quite sure what it meant...<p>Thanks new_beginning

B
B
Right now there is a slight demand for teachers, you will have an advantage because you can go to where there are openings. The pay is excellent, its based on your experience/education...there are courses available in the summer to move up the pay scale...didn't realize you were from Michigan, it's probably colder there.
Don't limit your self to Toronto...depending on what youlike the Niagara Area is good...close to Toronto but not the big city hassels, if you like the North (small towns) the possiblitiies are endless. You can get beautiful properties on the water about 1 1/2 hrs North of Toronto for a good price...The further North the cheaper the cost of living..I'm sure you could find work..what do you teach (subject/age)

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Middle school/junior high (11-14 yr olds)<p>Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, Drama and Yearbook in the past... now I am teaching computing skills.<p>I also do staff development in teacher leadership, am a beginning teacher support provider (provide help and guidance to two beginning teachers) and am an Intel Master teacher (teach teachers to integrate technology into their curriculum).

D
D
Cali,<p>How about Hawaii? I know when I was working in VA, there was a couple teachers that were taking a leave of absence to go teacher a year in Hawaii. Would be warmer and no immigration to worry about!!!<p>How you doing tonight?<p>Have looked for you the last couple of nights about this time.<p>Dawn

B
B
I can't see you having a problem finding work, if not in the public schools to start there are all kinds of private schools that are always looking for qualified teachers...I'm sure you enjoy life here...I wish my wife would agree to such a big move, I'd love to get here away from all the negative influences here and maybe she could see what is right infront of her...waiting for her to accept.

N
N
You're probably hating me about now...<p>Please don't though, I'm just speaking the truth I've learned the hard way:<p>I worked at a college as a adaptive technology trainer for students with disabilities, and I know it **seems** like it shouldn't be hard to find a job within the school districts. However, without the landed immigrant status, you CANNOT work. I know!<p>If the school can prove that a Canadian cannot fill the position and they are willing to pay a $25,000 fee (we saw an immigration lawyer Cali, so I know what I'm talking about) you won't be working, no matter what that site says.<p>I'm sorry -- it is a lovely, lovely place and there is so much to be found here, but you have to go through the process to work.<p>Don't hate me [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Doing okay daybreak... it's been a tough couple of days... but for some reason I think we hit a turning point last night...<p>I'm about to get off... H is due home from kickboxing and I'm gonna watch Brothers . Gonna drool over Shemar Moore and Morris Chestnutt [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] <p>How are you?

B
B
New
Where did you get those $$$ amounts. What Province. In my line of work a do alot with immigration, never specifically talked about this bit i"ve never heard them talk about those kinds of dollar amounts.

L
L
Hey Cali, your a uper, youper? How do you spell it?<p>I'm from Marinette, Wi, my sis now living in menominee. Ive been to Norway [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Lora

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
NO HATE!!! new_beginning... I teach social studies... I KNEW relocating to another country is NOT like changing one's pants... it's my H who will have the RUDE awakening...<p>(Hey... that sounds like an MB name... Rude_Awakening... LOL...)<p>Like I said, I will check into Exchange Programs... I know they are out there... that maybe one way to go for now...

D
D
It's been rough, took son half way to meet his dad, Saturday. Drove 600 miles in one day 300 of it by myself, so had lots of time to think and wonder.<p>Listened to a lot of Country music, that is always hard as I see my story in so many of the lyrics. Did hear one song had words something about mom and Jesus loving me this I know, couldn't write them down and drive, didn't catch the artist or title, would like to find it for my son, It was really hard letting go, I know he is 20 but he had done some really stupid things recently, His IQ is at the genuis level but he is an idiot, but we love him. I hope him and his dad can figure out were he needs to go from here!! Will be good for them to be together!! (besides OW can't visit or move there while son is there)<p>H looked awful when I seen him reaal dark circles around his eyes, asked what was up said he hasn'tr been sleeping well, said this while he was here too, Gee I wonder why?<p>I still wait for him to blast me with the D talk.<p>What made the turning point last night? Is princess ok? We don't need to call anybody to look for her do we?<p>Dawn

N
N
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruins4:
<strong>New
Where did you get those $$$ amounts. What Province. In my line of work a do alot with immigration, never specifically talked about this bit i"ve never heard them talk about those kinds of dollar amounts.</strong><hr></blockquote><p>The $2000 is $1500 to send in with paperwork, $500 for work visa - I have those amounts right here on the forms.<p>The $15,000 is what the immigration lawyer told us we'd need if I tried to sponsor myself - $2000 same as above, and approx. $12,000 in the bank to prove I can support myself (approx 3 months salary) until immigration is approved<p>The $25,000 is what the immigration lawyer told us is needed if a company sponsors you, after it is proven that no Canadian can do the job<p>We're in Ontario...

F
F
Hey, Cali, although I'm from Alberta (where ALL our teachers are threatening to walk out of the public school system this month-yikes! what to do with 15 and 12???), I recommend beautiful British Columbia where tulips, crocus, iris, and daffodils will soon be in bloom. Do buy an umbrella if you go to the Lower Mainland. And hey, if you chose Vancouver area, you are close to Washington State and Oregon.<p>I grew up in Windsor, Ontario and found it hilarious how Canadians would compliment the people from Michigan on their accent and vice versa!<p>Since you're familiar with Michigan, you do know we DON'T live in igloos, right? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] lol<p>But we are warmhearted-most of the time-when we are not so complacent we hardly respond...and you haven't lived till you've experienced "Tim Horton's" coffee and doughnuts. Blueberry is my favorite but you can't get them all the time and I am supposed to hit the gym this week. Sometime...when I get aROUND to it...ha ha<p>I think Niagara Falls would be more pleasant than Toronto unless you enjoy the big city life..excellent shopping and entertainment in T.O.<p>Whatever happens, I wish you and H all the best [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img]

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Lora,
I'm not a yooper by birth... (nor a Troll...)<p>say yah to the UP too, eh? but my mom married a guy from Norway...so I lived there 9th through 12th grade... 1977-1981.<p>My dad was in Air Force... so I have a wide range of places where I lived ... mostly Michigan and Texas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 371 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation