Marriage Builders
Posted By: *Cali* Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 04:25 AM
Well...<p>Brought up moving out of state ...even out of country by the next school year...<p>H asked why... I said to give us a fresh start... he said that he figured that was what I was thinking...<p>funny thing though, I mentioned Toronto as a possible place and he really got interested... started doing searches on the internet of job prospects... housing... immigration stuff... and now is talking about 'when' we move to Canada...<p>I know this is a common thing and even the Harley's sanction a move to a new place... <p>So, new_beginning, or others of you in Canada, got any info for me? LOL... maybe the 10 top things to know if you're moving to Canada? <shaking my head><p>Cali<p>[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Cali ]</p>
What do you need to know?....
What kind of work are you looking for?
There are alot of great cities/towns near Toronto that are alot more affordable......ask anything you want and i'll do my best to answer....
Here's a starter for your top 10
1) You can bring shorts...doesn't snow for 12 months
2) Learn to say EH after a sentence
3) Read a book about Hockey..it's our passion
4) The police don't ride horses (most don't)
5) You may never see a bear or moose
6) Buy pants with thick pockets...We have $1 and $2 dollar coins (no more bills) and talking about a $5 dollar coin
7) The beer and wine are great
8) They don't turn Niagara Falls off at night
9) Ottawa is the capital
10) UNFORTUNATELY affairs are just as common here as in the U.S.
Good Luck..It's a beautiful
Country
I was just about to sign off... glad I saw this before I did...<p>Okay, here's the scoop:<p>I live in the east, but have been to the West and the middle, and it's all lovely... the changing seasons are awesome! In the east, the lakes make it so neato, and almost look like an ocean they're so HUGE! It gets very humid in the summer though, which can be kinda sticky. The winters here are freezing-a$$ cold and although last year there was 3 ft. of snow by this time, this year there has only been two snowfalls, leaving about an inch of snow on the ground. I like it a lot here.<p>You won't find the following here - good Mexican food, iced tea that isn't flavored and sugered up BIG TIME, StarKist Tuna... but there are some really interesting things I've never seen, like "Olive Bars" with 20 different kinds of olives!<p>The people are wonderfully welcoming, and I have had no problems with being discriminated against or feeling anything less than completely accepted (by doctors or banks, that kind of thing)...<p>...except for one thing: IMMIGRATION!! Egads!!! It's the worst!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Here's a quick lesson in immigration:<p>Get $2000 if you have someone to sponsor you, $15,000 if you will sponsor yourself<p>Plan to take six months to get all paperwork together - medical exams, criminal checks, etc.<p>Get all financials together and be prepared to discuss everything at length<p>We have done all paperwork but no longer have the money to file. Being married to a citizen doesn't matter. <p>Aside from the immigration, I have found this experience to be very positive... but of course, I came here and married my H, so what would you expect, right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Ask any specific questions and I will be happy to answer them!!
Thanks for your reply, just finished your top 10 and saw you replied to my post....thanks, i'm trying but it gets hard at times
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 04:42 AM
Thanks Bruin4...<p>Well most people don't know it...but Michigan has an Upper Peninsula... even the Trolls (Lower Michigan people) think it's part of Canada...so I have the eh part down... I went to high school in a small yooper town (Norway)... so I'm even aware of the climate [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] ...<p>How's the job market for teachers? Is it hard for an out-of-country person to get employment?<p>Yeeks! new_beginning... maybe we will have to look into a 'teacher exchange program'...<p>Guess I will have my H do the 'research.' No way do I want to be the one to educate him on how costly it is... I think he thinks it is just like relocating to another state...
Did I mention that you CAN'T WORK until you have landed immigrant status? <p>That's what I'm trying to get...
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 04:45 AM
I've already been looking at teacher recruitment sites... so I had the 'landed immigration' status noted... just wasn't quite sure what it meant...<p>Thanks new_beginning
Right now there is a slight demand for teachers, you will have an advantage because you can go to where there are openings. The pay is excellent, its based on your experience/education...there are courses available in the summer to move up the pay scale...didn't realize you were from Michigan, it's probably colder there.
Don't limit your self to Toronto...depending on what youlike the Niagara Area is good...close to Toronto but not the big city hassels, if you like the North (small towns) the possiblitiies are endless. You can get beautiful properties on the water about 1 1/2 hrs North of Toronto for a good price...The further North the cheaper the cost of living..I'm sure you could find work..what do you teach (subject/age)
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 04:54 AM
Middle school/junior high (11-14 yr olds)<p>Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, Drama and Yearbook in the past... now I am teaching computing skills.<p>I also do staff development in teacher leadership, am a beginning teacher support provider (provide help and guidance to two beginning teachers) and am an Intel Master teacher (teach teachers to integrate technology into their curriculum).
Cali,<p>How about Hawaii? I know when I was working in VA, there was a couple teachers that were taking a leave of absence to go teacher a year in Hawaii. Would be warmer and no immigration to worry about!!!<p>How you doing tonight?<p>Have looked for you the last couple of nights about this time.<p>Dawn
I can't see you having a problem finding work, if not in the public schools to start there are all kinds of private schools that are always looking for qualified teachers...I'm sure you enjoy life here...I wish my wife would agree to such a big move, I'd love to get here away from all the negative influences here and maybe she could see what is right infront of her...waiting for her to accept.
You're probably hating me about now...<p>Please don't though, I'm just speaking the truth I've learned the hard way:<p>I worked at a college as a adaptive technology trainer for students with disabilities, and I know it **seems** like it shouldn't be hard to find a job within the school districts. However, without the landed immigrant status, you CANNOT work. I know!<p>If the school can prove that a Canadian cannot fill the position and they are willing to pay a $25,000 fee (we saw an immigration lawyer Cali, so I know what I'm talking about) you won't be working, no matter what that site says.<p>I'm sorry -- it is a lovely, lovely place and there is so much to be found here, but you have to go through the process to work.<p>Don't hate me [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:05 AM
Doing okay daybreak... it's been a tough couple of days... but for some reason I think we hit a turning point last night...<p>I'm about to get off... H is due home from kickboxing and I'm gonna watch Brothers . Gonna drool over Shemar Moore and Morris Chestnutt [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] <p>How are you?
New
Where did you get those $$$ amounts. What Province. In my line of work a do alot with immigration, never specifically talked about this bit i"ve never heard them talk about those kinds of dollar amounts.
Posted By: Lora Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:10 AM
Hey Cali, your a uper, youper? How do you spell it?<p>I'm from Marinette, Wi, my sis now living in menominee. Ive been to Norway [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Lora
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:11 AM
NO HATE!!! new_beginning... I teach social studies... I KNEW relocating to another country is NOT like changing one's pants... it's my H who will have the RUDE awakening...<p>(Hey... that sounds like an MB name... Rude_Awakening... LOL...)<p>Like I said, I will check into Exchange Programs... I know they are out there... that maybe one way to go for now...
It's been rough, took son half way to meet his dad, Saturday. Drove 600 miles in one day 300 of it by myself, so had lots of time to think and wonder.<p>Listened to a lot of Country music, that is always hard as I see my story in so many of the lyrics. Did hear one song had words something about mom and Jesus loving me this I know, couldn't write them down and drive, didn't catch the artist or title, would like to find it for my son, It was really hard letting go, I know he is 20 but he had done some really stupid things recently, His IQ is at the genuis level but he is an idiot, but we love him. I hope him and his dad can figure out were he needs to go from here!! Will be good for them to be together!! (besides OW can't visit or move there while son is there)<p>H looked awful when I seen him reaal dark circles around his eyes, asked what was up said he hasn'tr been sleeping well, said this while he was here too, Gee I wonder why?<p>I still wait for him to blast me with the D talk.<p>What made the turning point last night? Is princess ok? We don't need to call anybody to look for her do we?<p>Dawn
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruins4:
<strong>New
Where did you get those $$$ amounts. What Province. In my line of work a do alot with immigration, never specifically talked about this bit i"ve never heard them talk about those kinds of dollar amounts.</strong><hr></blockquote><p>The $2000 is $1500 to send in with paperwork, $500 for work visa - I have those amounts right here on the forms.<p>The $15,000 is what the immigration lawyer told us we'd need if I tried to sponsor myself - $2000 same as above, and approx. $12,000 in the bank to prove I can support myself (approx 3 months salary) until immigration is approved<p>The $25,000 is what the immigration lawyer told us is needed if a company sponsors you, after it is proven that no Canadian can do the job<p>We're in Ontario...
Hey, Cali, although I'm from Alberta (where ALL our teachers are threatening to walk out of the public school system this month-yikes! what to do with 15 and 12???), I recommend beautiful British Columbia where tulips, crocus, iris, and daffodils will soon be in bloom. Do buy an umbrella if you go to the Lower Mainland. And hey, if you chose Vancouver area, you are close to Washington State and Oregon.<p>I grew up in Windsor, Ontario and found it hilarious how Canadians would compliment the people from Michigan on their accent and vice versa!<p>Since you're familiar with Michigan, you do know we DON'T live in igloos, right? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] lol<p>But we are warmhearted-most of the time-when we are not so complacent we hardly respond...and you haven't lived till you've experienced "Tim Horton's" coffee and doughnuts. Blueberry is my favorite but you can't get them all the time and I am supposed to hit the gym this week. Sometime...when I get aROUND to it...ha ha<p>I think Niagara Falls would be more pleasant than Toronto unless you enjoy the big city life..excellent shopping and entertainment in T.O.<p>Whatever happens, I wish you and H all the best [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img]
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:15 AM
Lora,
I'm not a yooper by birth... (nor a Troll...)<p>say yah to the UP too, eh? but my mom married a guy from Norway...so I lived there 9th through 12th grade... 1977-1981.<p>My dad was in Air Force... so I have a wide range of places where I lived ... mostly Michigan and Texas
Hey I didn't know that you were a BRAT too!!
Do you have a sister named Lisa that lived in MO for awhile?
Dawn
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:21 AM
gee daybreak... that sounds tiring...<p>yeah, I know about those genius level kids (taught GATE for awhile) they are exasperating!!! but ya gotta love them [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] .<p>Princess is alive and kicking... I can't tell you exactly what happened... it was a series of things... part of it was an LB session (see I know it was a no-no post)... but my H is talking differently and my GUT feels better...<p>Not exactly science... but...
Will read!! Good luck to you!!! I think that a move could be the best thing for both of you and your family!!<p>Dawn
Well Cali, sorry to bum ya out tonight... I did just want to end with a heartfelt wish that it all works out for you and your H, and that if there's a way you can avoid the process LET ME KNOW!!<p>Best wishes sweetie, and freshstart is right - Niagara is GORGEOUS and Toronto is SUPER COOL!!<p>And if you make it my way, let's get together!!!
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:25 AM
freshstart...<p>Alberta sounds great... yeah, I know there are no igloos... I do suppose the roads are paved??? (We used to tell some good jokes about paving roads and getting electricity to the Lower Michigan people [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] )<p>I think my H would prefer a larger city... he is really into acting... drama... theatre and would like to write and be involved in film-making... He believes that Toronto has this available...<p>daybreak... no sisters named Lisa... yep I was a BRAT... still remember schools on the base [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] .
Posted By: J.R. Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:26 AM
Hi Cali,<p>Well, maybe I'm giving away too much information here (... nah!), but I'm originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, now living and working in California!<p>So I can tell you a whole bunch about what it takes to be a Canadian working in the US, but not a whole lot about a US citizen working in Canada, other than stuff about Canada itself...<p>My favourite (yes, with the "u") cities? Montreal and Vancouver. Toronto is nice too. Of course, I have a special fondness for my home-town, but it's rather nice to be here in California in the winter! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>If you do it, it'll be for the "life experience", not to get rich, that's for sure, especially if you want to return to the US - the exchange rate really sucks!!
Good night Cali!!!<p>Dawn
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:27 AM
no worries new_beginning...<p>better forewarned so you can be forearmed [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] ...<p>I'd love to hook up with you... maybe I could bring you some CALIFORNIA goodies...<p>Cali
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 05:29 AM
night daybreak ... and all...<p>The 'brothers' are playing ball w/out shirts... I must go to drool...<p>Cali
Okay - so I know nothing about immigration laws. It's obvious from my name where I live. BC is beautiful,I grew up on Vancouver Island, but can be expensive.<p>Calgary is a pretty great city I have to say...
Posted By: Elad Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 12:26 PM
Cali---<p>About a year ago Molson (Great Beer) had a commercial called I am Canadian.<p>If you could get CBC (I can) you could watch the commercial during Hockey Night In Canada, eh? Of course the commercial was on at other times, but what's more Canadian than Hockey Night in Canada?<p>Anyway, here's the commercial...of course just like any other item made for TV, it was better seen & heard rather than just read, but you get the idea. <p>"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not American. And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!"

[img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Take care...<p>E<p>[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Elad ]</p>
Hey glad to hear someone else listens to CBC - I'm an addict.
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/09/02 04:41 PM
[img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] ...<p>Thanks for the humor Elad...<p>I was wondering if I'd hear from you Alberta...<p>Believe me...living in the UP... so close to Canada, even some Canadians thought we were Canadian... I've heard most of the jokes... but in the UP...it was aboot not about [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] ...<p>Cali
Toronto- ----- -and he is considering this- ---- - THIS is the first really good thing I've heard today! Not only for you either- Toronoto is within a few hours of me- I'm closer to Canada than NYC, WE COULD ACTUALLY MEET!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>I went there to see the Phantom of The Opera a couple years back and I can tell you Toronto is the largest city I think I have ever seen (and I've been to NYC).<p>It was an hour of driving through real skyscraper type city before we got to the exit for the Opera House, and we weren't on or near the edge of downtown (and we were going 95mph on the Queen's Highway to avoid getting trampled over- No kidding!)<p>While there I saw a very well planned, modern city with lots of everything you mentioned and more- it is a very bustling place.<p>The other good news is that your American dollar is worth almost double what it is here in Canada, literally, so save up as many American dollars as you can before the move- just by transferring it to Canadian currency your nest egg will double! (Of course things cost more there too- but I don't think to that proportion).<p>He is really considering this ---- WOW- maybe there is hope after all off seeing him through the fog sometime soon! (Gosh I am trying not to get my hopes up too high- and I recommend the same for you!)
Welp, as a neighbor of the Canadians, I can share that you always have to say "Eh" after a sentence, eh. <p>Jo<p>[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 06:38 AM
NY...he's always wanted to move... especially out of the country... I'm sending off for info... but I have to think that he has to do most of the work to actually figure out how to move... <p>I wouldn't want to move and then have him pull the "this was your idea" thing...<p>and what a bonus if we could actually meet [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] .<p>Cali
Also, my first experience in meeting Canadians was my XH was playing at a Pub in BC, there was a hockey team staying in the same Hotel but on the 2nd floor above us .... they came out of their rooms one evening and were completely .. ummmm, naked. They were walking around like no big deal, getting ice from the ice machine and going back and forth to their cars, jumping into the pool from the 2nd floor. They invited myself and my GF (another band member's wife) to join their party. We, of course, declined, eh.<p>It was quite entertaining to say the least. [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Love,
Jo<p>[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>
Posted By: hanora Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 03:50 AM

<small>[ February 07, 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 04:06 AM
Thanks hanora...<p>I have downloaded some stuff from the immigration department and am checking to see what my point status would be...<p>Have a nice fat packet for H to go through... he asked me if I had been checking out anything today... so I have been to some websites and have had info sent to us as well...<p>Canada or Bust?<p>Cali (or...soon to be JustPlainCanada?)
Hey hanora - the theatre and film business is our business. Are you in the biz yourself?
My H was in TO for three months last year on a major feature film shoot.<p>Cali - there's nothing "Plain" about Canada, um, er, oh, except for Saskatchewan. (I'm allowed to joke about that province because I was born there!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]
Hi again,<p>Hey, you DON'T need a lawyer, and having one only adds about $10,000 to the costs, [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] , which is why we don't have one! We only checked with one because we heard we should. But my H's ex sponsored her H without one, so we know it can be done. <p>That packet you have should tell you all you need to know, and they have website too, and are very helpful if you can call and get ahold of a real live person.<p>I was just in Toronto over the holidays, and it IS super-neato if you like city life (I do!)... there's so much here... in the Fall we went to a spirit walk through a forest/park - and there's always beauty here. I really do love it, just don't love the immigration process. [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Let us know how it goes... I'm very interested...
I'm in Canada too... London, Ontario to be precise. And I was born and raised in Toronto.<p>As much as the 'big T.O' has to offer, you can get most of that in some of the smaller towns and cities. London is a perfect example. We still have our own airport, all of the government offices are available here in town too (just like T.O.), and most importantly, the cost of living (for housing) is 1/2!!! <p>To rent a 3 bdrm townhouse here is on average, $775 a month (our first 3 bdrm townhouse 3 yrs ago was only $660). Then of course, there's the hydro and gas (water is most often supplied). I'm in a small 2 bdrm house now, and our monthly winter utility bills come to about $50 for hydro, and $80 for gas (gas heat). And keep in mind, with 3 boys under 3 yrs of age, I do 2 loads of laundry a night! LOL<p>Other costs all around Ontario are as follows:<p>4L bag of milk : $3.29 to $4.49
loaf of bread : $0.99
dozen eggs : $1.79
2L bottle of pop:$0.87 to $1.99
McD's value meal:$3.99 to $5.79<p>When you take into account the exchange rate, it must be a LOT cheaper here.<p>If you go back to upper MI, have you considered working there and living in the Windsor area? I hear a LOT of people do that down that way (my H was raised in that area). Just another thought to consider if the immigration ends up being a huge hassle.<p>Just another quick note... a few years ago when H and I were thinking of moving out of Toronto (and ended up here in London), we did some housing research in different provinces. Alberta was really cheap in comparison to most others. Take a look at some of the newspapers for the larger cities and get an idea for yourself. I'll give you a hint: the majority of papers are either "sun"'s or "star"'s. LOL. London is a "free press" though.<p>Good luck with your searching! [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Karen
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 04:57 AM
You know, I moved out of Michigan and to Cali when opportunity came my way... I'm just gonna explore the possibilities... and if it happens it is meant to be... just like when I came out here...<p>I am not gonna push or do it all myself... H must put some effort into it...<p>We may look into dipping into our retirement... once we leave Cali we can liquidate our state retirement (yeah, I know at a price....) We also have $$$ in a tax-shelter...<p>My next step is to check into job opportunities for school teachers... I've heard from several people now that the Toronto area may have a need...<p>Alberta... my H would LOVE to get into the film industry and theatre... he has a stage resume that is very extensive... mostly local theatre... but some in LA.<p>Topie... thanks for the specifics on cost... doesn't sound much more expensive than here...
Posted By: hanora Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 03:38 PM

<small>[ February 07, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>
Dear Cali,<p>I`m up here in nothern Quebec. I am a tranplanted US citizen but I`ve lived up here for 30 years. Montreal is without a doubt my favorite city on the planet. Very cosmopolitan/ european, interesting and it`s a WHOLE LOT cheaper living in Montreal than Toronto.<p>The downside, Quebec favours french speaking immigrants. All of the exterior signs are in french. We go through regular referendums on separation. If you did not attend an english high school in Canada your children will be FORCED by law to attend a french school. The language police (people snooping around looking for english on exterior signs) <p>The upside, $5 a day quality daycare guaranteed. The learning of a second language. The shortage of anglophone teachers. Fairly decent free medical care. Some good but sometimes strange social programs such as paying people to have kids, $500 for the first, $2000, for the second, $8000 for the third and each kid after. They stopped that program a couple of years ago though. They also had a program to give free internet to families with kids and gave you $500 towards the purchase of a new computer. The terrain is beautiful, Quebec is the least polluted area in all of North America, our water and air is very clean. <p>Sheryl is right, in order to immigrate you must prove that there are no Canadians who can fill the job you want. Here is Quebec they are looking for nurses, doctors, anglophone teachers, prison guards (they start at $47,000 a year) and there is a big demand for them.
I have been to Montreal- don't know about much but the beauty, well she is right- it is very pretty territory and alot homier- alot more of a normal proportioned city- AND that they are complete and total SNOBS to English speaking tourists- don't know how they don't drown from their noses so high in the air because you DARE to ask directions in ENGLISH w / NY plates [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Sorry- didn't immpress me to like your area at all.
Dear ScaredinNY,<p>Yes some francophones can be colossal snots but the majority are not. You just have to know where to go. In the tourist areas such as where I live the effort to speak english is made, money talks dontcha know. Most francophones are warm charming open people. They have just elected morons to top government posts.<p>Montreal has a large anglophone community as well as pockets of various ethnic cultures. Even in the mainly french speaking areas you will find communities of english speaking people. The anglophones are a very tightly knit group too. We have to be.
Posted By: redhat Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/11/02 06:03 AM
Cali,<p>Why not California ? ... we have a better cheese : D lol !!!.
Cali,<p>Lora and I vote Washington State. I'll come up with a list of "Whys" in a min. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Jo<p>[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>
Posted By: *Cali* Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/11/02 06:19 AM
Here's a catch22 dilemma...<p>wherever we go has to be a good place to raise biracial children and must be very welcoming to biracial couples... my H is African-American and I am Heinz57 Caucasian...<p>so how are parts of Canada w/ this issue?
Posted By: hanora Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 07:36 PM

<small>[ February 07, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>
Dear Cali,<p>Hanora is right, large Canadian cities are melting pots so I doubt that you would run into too much bad attitude in Toronto or Montreal or even Vancouver. I don`t know how it is out in the mid west. Never been there.
Posted By: redhat Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/10/02 08:08 PM
Cali,
Bay Area we have mix like a mud, our tolerance is very high.<p>jo,
We are waiting ... it is more than a minute [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img]
Posted By: OneDay Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/11/02 02:39 AM
I am also Canadain. My favorite cities in Montreal to live are:<p>1. Montreal;
2. Ottawa (the capital);
3. Calgary;
4. Toronto;
5. Vancouver;
6. Halifax.<p>I have lived for years in each of Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, and I have stayed and worked in the other cities for extended periods.<p>Cali, as for biracial children, any of the cities listed above would be comfortable for your family in terms of diversity. Calgary is probably the most conservative of the them but has some great advantages like the Rockies and the easy availability of activities. Halifax has a rich African-American background; I believe many are decendants of relocated americans from 200-300 years ago.<p>Canadians, even in big cities, are warm and inviting. My parents immigrated to Canada 30+ years ago, as did most of their friends. All of them have adapted well, really like Canada (although still complaing about the weather, as they came from a near-tropical location), and have all established very strong roots in Canada for themselves and their children.<p>I'll check back on this thread for other questions.<p>[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: OneDay ]</p>
Posted By: Sudz Re: Moving on? Calling all Canadians...LOL... - 01/12/02 06:53 AM
Cali,<p>I am a transplanted American - living in Southern Alberta - about an hour south of Calgary. I'm 50 now and have lived here since I was 18!<p>My family are ALL still in the states, brother in Wyoming (where I was raised for the most part) and Mother and Sister in South Texas (where I was born).<p>I love it here - absolutely love it. Southern Alberta is much like Wyoming and Montana - people wise, rural, agricultural and wide open spaces. <p>It really isn't that "different" but in some ways it is. Yes, the comments about polite and politcally correct to fit the Canadian way of life. <p>The racial issue - and this from one whose familiy of origin is Oklahoma and Texas and saw a lot of the garbage first-hand - is much different and more accepting. In most places, I think it generally is a non-issue. Unfortunately, as with anything - there are always bad apples.<p>Each to their own - and depending on your way of life. For me, I could live in Wyoming or Montana and enjoy - but I could never live in the heat and population of south Texas again (not to mention snakes and spiders!).<p>I think it is good to make changes. Look at your options and enjoy the exploring.<p>Best wishes.
Sudz
ACK!! No one is pumping the Arm pit of Canada LOL<p>I live in Saskatchewan. Born and raised. I have been east and I have been west. Where I live is the best LOL Except our taxes really really suck. [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>How come our eggs are only a buck?? 4l of milk 2.89? <p>J.R. can I have a hint?? I live in Southern Saskatchewan. We have a WHL hockey team LOL
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums