Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
Hi again,<p>Hey, you DON'T need a lawyer, and having one only adds about $10,000 to the costs, [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] , which is why we don't have one! We only checked with one because we heard we should. But my H's ex sponsored her H without one, so we know it can be done. <p>That packet you have should tell you all you need to know, and they have website too, and are very helpful if you can call and get ahold of a real live person.<p>I was just in Toronto over the holidays, and it IS super-neato if you like city life (I do!)... there's so much here... in the Fall we went to a spirit walk through a forest/park - and there's always beauty here. I really do love it, just don't love the immigration process. [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Let us know how it goes... I'm very interested...

T
T
I'm in Canada too... London, Ontario to be precise. And I was born and raised in Toronto.<p>As much as the 'big T.O' has to offer, you can get most of that in some of the smaller towns and cities. London is a perfect example. We still have our own airport, all of the government offices are available here in town too (just like T.O.), and most importantly, the cost of living (for housing) is 1/2!!! <p>To rent a 3 bdrm townhouse here is on average, $775 a month (our first 3 bdrm townhouse 3 yrs ago was only $660). Then of course, there's the hydro and gas (water is most often supplied). I'm in a small 2 bdrm house now, and our monthly winter utility bills come to about $50 for hydro, and $80 for gas (gas heat). And keep in mind, with 3 boys under 3 yrs of age, I do 2 loads of laundry a night! LOL<p>Other costs all around Ontario are as follows:<p>4L bag of milk : $3.29 to $4.49
loaf of bread : $0.99
dozen eggs : $1.79
2L bottle of pop:$0.87 to $1.99
McD's value meal:$3.99 to $5.79<p>When you take into account the exchange rate, it must be a LOT cheaper here.<p>If you go back to upper MI, have you considered working there and living in the Windsor area? I hear a LOT of people do that down that way (my H was raised in that area). Just another thought to consider if the immigration ends up being a huge hassle.<p>Just another quick note... a few years ago when H and I were thinking of moving out of Toronto (and ended up here in London), we did some housing research in different provinces. Alberta was really cheap in comparison to most others. Take a look at some of the newspapers for the larger cities and get an idea for yourself. I'll give you a hint: the majority of papers are either "sun"'s or "star"'s. LOL. London is a "free press" though.<p>Good luck with your searching! [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Karen

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
You know, I moved out of Michigan and to Cali when opportunity came my way... I'm just gonna explore the possibilities... and if it happens it is meant to be... just like when I came out here...<p>I am not gonna push or do it all myself... H must put some effort into it...<p>We may look into dipping into our retirement... once we leave Cali we can liquidate our state retirement (yeah, I know at a price....) We also have $$$ in a tax-shelter...<p>My next step is to check into job opportunities for school teachers... I've heard from several people now that the Toronto area may have a need...<p>Alberta... my H would LOVE to get into the film industry and theatre... he has a stage resume that is very extensive... mostly local theatre... but some in LA.<p>Topie... thanks for the specifics on cost... doesn't sound much more expensive than here...

H
H

<small>[ February 07, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>

S
S
Dear Cali,<p>I`m up here in nothern Quebec. I am a tranplanted US citizen but I`ve lived up here for 30 years. Montreal is without a doubt my favorite city on the planet. Very cosmopolitan/ european, interesting and it`s a WHOLE LOT cheaper living in Montreal than Toronto.<p>The downside, Quebec favours french speaking immigrants. All of the exterior signs are in french. We go through regular referendums on separation. If you did not attend an english high school in Canada your children will be FORCED by law to attend a french school. The language police (people snooping around looking for english on exterior signs) <p>The upside, $5 a day quality daycare guaranteed. The learning of a second language. The shortage of anglophone teachers. Fairly decent free medical care. Some good but sometimes strange social programs such as paying people to have kids, $500 for the first, $2000, for the second, $8000 for the third and each kid after. They stopped that program a couple of years ago though. They also had a program to give free internet to families with kids and gave you $500 towards the purchase of a new computer. The terrain is beautiful, Quebec is the least polluted area in all of North America, our water and air is very clean. <p>Sheryl is right, in order to immigrate you must prove that there are no Canadians who can fill the job you want. Here is Quebec they are looking for nurses, doctors, anglophone teachers, prison guards (they start at $47,000 a year) and there is a big demand for them.

S
S
I have been to Montreal- don't know about much but the beauty, well she is right- it is very pretty territory and alot homier- alot more of a normal proportioned city- AND that they are complete and total SNOBS to English speaking tourists- don't know how they don't drown from their noses so high in the air because you DARE to ask directions in ENGLISH w / NY plates [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Sorry- didn't immpress me to like your area at all.

S
S
Dear ScaredinNY,<p>Yes some francophones can be colossal snots but the majority are not. You just have to know where to go. In the tourist areas such as where I live the effort to speak english is made, money talks dontcha know. Most francophones are warm charming open people. They have just elected morons to top government posts.<p>Montreal has a large anglophone community as well as pockets of various ethnic cultures. Even in the mainly french speaking areas you will find communities of english speaking people. The anglophones are a very tightly knit group too. We have to be.

R
R
Cali,<p>Why not California ? ... we have a better cheese : D lol !!!.

R
R
Cali,<p>Lora and I vote Washington State. I'll come up with a list of "Whys" in a min. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Jo<p>[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>

*Cali* Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a catch22 dilemma...<p>wherever we go has to be a good place to raise biracial children and must be very welcoming to biracial couples... my H is African-American and I am Heinz57 Caucasian...<p>so how are parts of Canada w/ this issue?

H
H

<small>[ February 07, 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>

S
S
Dear Cali,<p>Hanora is right, large Canadian cities are melting pots so I doubt that you would run into too much bad attitude in Toronto or Montreal or even Vancouver. I don`t know how it is out in the mid west. Never been there.

R
R
Cali,
Bay Area we have mix like a mud, our tolerance is very high.<p>jo,
We are waiting ... it is more than a minute [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img]

O
O
I am also Canadain. My favorite cities in Montreal to live are:<p>1. Montreal;
2. Ottawa (the capital);
3. Calgary;
4. Toronto;
5. Vancouver;
6. Halifax.<p>I have lived for years in each of Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, and I have stayed and worked in the other cities for extended periods.<p>Cali, as for biracial children, any of the cities listed above would be comfortable for your family in terms of diversity. Calgary is probably the most conservative of the them but has some great advantages like the Rockies and the easy availability of activities. Halifax has a rich African-American background; I believe many are decendants of relocated americans from 200-300 years ago.<p>Canadians, even in big cities, are warm and inviting. My parents immigrated to Canada 30+ years ago, as did most of their friends. All of them have adapted well, really like Canada (although still complaing about the weather, as they came from a near-tropical location), and have all established very strong roots in Canada for themselves and their children.<p>I'll check back on this thread for other questions.<p>[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: OneDay ]</p>

S
S
Cali,<p>I am a transplanted American - living in Southern Alberta - about an hour south of Calgary. I'm 50 now and have lived here since I was 18!<p>My family are ALL still in the states, brother in Wyoming (where I was raised for the most part) and Mother and Sister in South Texas (where I was born).<p>I love it here - absolutely love it. Southern Alberta is much like Wyoming and Montana - people wise, rural, agricultural and wide open spaces. <p>It really isn't that "different" but in some ways it is. Yes, the comments about polite and politcally correct to fit the Canadian way of life. <p>The racial issue - and this from one whose familiy of origin is Oklahoma and Texas and saw a lot of the garbage first-hand - is much different and more accepting. In most places, I think it generally is a non-issue. Unfortunately, as with anything - there are always bad apples.<p>Each to their own - and depending on your way of life. For me, I could live in Wyoming or Montana and enjoy - but I could never live in the heat and population of south Texas again (not to mention snakes and spiders!).<p>I think it is good to make changes. Look at your options and enjoy the exploring.<p>Best wishes.
Sudz

S
S
ACK!! No one is pumping the Arm pit of Canada LOL<p>I live in Saskatchewan. Born and raised. I have been east and I have been west. Where I live is the best LOL Except our taxes really really suck. [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] <p>How come our eggs are only a buck?? 4l of milk 2.89? <p>J.R. can I have a hint?? I live in Southern Saskatchewan. We have a WHL hockey team LOL

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation