Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
We live together and are practically a married couple
What is practically a married couple?

I wouldn�t call two people who have been together for 15 years and haven�t had sex in the last three years practically married.

makes a good 6 figure salary,

Well, that just makes everything ok, right?

Don�t understand some things in your posts. You say you just recently discovered this stuff, but you had threatened to expose him in the past. You only have emails for proof, but you now of several relationships of 6 months or more, this while living with this guy. He takes trips overseas, but you never went and never asked why?

Why are you here? This is a site for building marriages, not for saving roommates from themselves. If you want to help this guy, get him a good psychiatrist. I wouldn't get married, not many men will sit still for a celibate marriage.

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by schoolbus
Onefineday,

I have been ill and on hiatus. I'm posting only because I've been online for a bit.

You ask, "Should I expose?". Then, you go on to describe your life with a man who supposedly treats you well. You talk of the money he makes - six figures. Wonderful. Big deal, because that money cannot buy much when you sit alone and he is out with one of his HUNDREDS OF OTHER WOMEN.

Knowing that he threatens suicide in order to control your behavior? Nope. He does that to control YOU - and you cave because......he offers the money to keep you there as cover for his deeds.

You enable him.

Now you know that. Each and every day, when you wake up, and he goes online to find his girls, you have to know that your silence enables his predatory behavior.

Your answer is before you.

The question you then pose is, "If I expose him, he might commit suicide, and then I will be responsible, right?"

Let's say his threats are serious, as all threats should be taken seriously in this arena.

Instead of the usual manner of exposure, you have some preparation to do.

1. Seek professional guidance. Go today to a professional psyciatrist or psychologist and explain your situation. That person will know how to handle this. We people - out here in the Internet world - are not pros. We are regular people like you. Not pros. Go get someone to help you.

2. Do not attempt to confront him yourself without some professional guidance, if you believe he is suicidal.

3. You absolutely must involve his family, whether he likes them or not, and whether you like them or not. Why? Because unfortunately YOU ARE NOT HIS WIFE, AND YOU HAVE NO LEGAL STANDING IN HIS LIFE. His family does. They have to do something.

4. After you have involved the professionals - do what they say. Don't sit around and let him continue his behavior. I say this because your current belief is that he travels to Thailand to see "women". Someone correctly pointed out that many pedophiles go there to see girls. There is a distinct possibility that your boyfriend has issues in your own country, and he has not revealed this truth to you. You must understand that he sees this as his "way of life". You are someone who is in his way - and nothing more. You two don't have sex because

you
are
not
his
type.

You are already too old.

Think about this. Get professional help. And we are not it.

SB

Thank you for this school bus. I think this has been the most helpful post yet! I do believe that he may actually be suicidal and will probably need to seek the help of some other professional who can handle this. Everyone else on here thinks he is merely saying he is suicidal without really knowing him, and I think this is very harmful advice. I've known him for 15 years and he is an easily depressed individual. I know that this fact does not get conveyed that easily through my messages on this board. As we all know, whenever someone threatens suicide it should not be taken lightly, as school bus has mentioned.

However, with the people talking about him not having sex with me because I'm too old.. I should clarify that this isn't the reason although the explanation is not any better. He has mentioned to me that he cannot have sex with more than one person for more than several times without becoming bored with them and needing to move onto the next girl. And yes, this appears to be the case, and this is why he's has never been with a girl for more than a short time and does not get emotionally attached. I am the person he has been with the longest (all others were maybe 6 months top before he left them), even as far as an emotional attachment.

Last edited by onefineday; 01/10/11 07:40 PM.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by americajin
We live together and are practically a married couple
What is practically a married couple?

I wouldn�t call two people who have been together for 15 years and haven�t had sex in the last three years practically married.

makes a good 6 figure salary,

Well, that just makes everything ok, right?

Don�t understand some things in your posts. You say you just recently discovered this stuff, but you had threatened to expose him in the past. You only have emails for proof, but you now of several relationships of 6 months or more, this while living with this guy. He takes trips overseas, but you never went and never asked why?

Why are you here? This is a site for building marriages, not for saving roommates from themselves. If you want to help this guy, get him a good psychiatrist. I wouldn't get married, not many men will sit still for a celibate marriage.

No, I'm not saying that his salary makes everything ok. I was merely trying to present some redeeming qualities in him.. that he is responsible enough to hold a steady and good job, that he helps out around the house, etc, although I know I will fail no matter how I do so in light of his other obvious flaws. Sorry if I made it seem like I was trying to make it seem like that somehow made it all seem okay, although it should be fairly obvious that I was not.

C
C
"I've known him for 10 years"

I thought it was 15.

C
C
oh i see you edited it to 15...

G
G
OFD,

Not a gung-ho christian...but anyway..

The reason I said what I said is because I have seen so many guys who fit the profile you created with your words. And yes your words are not a 3D model of the man.

One of the other issues I see here is that guys like this will often try to re-enter your life if you manage to break free from him and establish anther relationship, so you cannot be there for him if you ever want a husband or children.

Their catch and release cycle can go on for years, one guy I know has done this with an accomplished and beautiful girl for 15 years. At this point she is getting to the age where having children is risky.

God Bless
Gamma

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Gamma
OFD,

Not a gung-ho christian...but anyway..

The reason I said what I said is because I have seen so many guys who fit the profile you created with your words. And yes your words are not a 3D model of the man.

One of the other issues I see here is that guys like this will often try to re-enter your life if you manage to break free from him and establish anther relationship, so you cannot be there for him if you ever want a husband or children.

Their catch and release cycle can go on for years, one guy I know has done this with an accomplished and beautiful girl for 15 years. At this point she is getting to the age where having children is risky.

God Bless
Gamma

So I apologize for forgetting to mention this fact way earlier but I don't think he is completely selfish either. Although he fears losing me because he feels like he has no one that he can even talk to, he has told me countless times that he feels like he is doing me a lot of harm and disrespect and that I should leave. Yes, I intend to leave (as in no longer be romantically involved with him, but not as a friend). He has told me plenty of times to just go and find someone who will treat me right and that I should live a better life than what he can ever possibly provide.

He has cried and told me how he cannot get over his addiction and that he has harmed everyone around him including his family, me, other people, and of course himself. He knows that he puts himself at risk as well, just as a smoker knows that they have to stop smoking but can't manage to do so. So I guess what I am trying to say is that no, I don't believe he is really trying to manipulate me (at least that would not entirely intentionally.. though we are all human from time to time). Anyway, I do not think he is going to be someone who is going to be constantly trying to re-enter my life.

Last edited by onefineday; 01/10/11 08:10 PM.
B
B
OFD,
I wanted to just say that I am sorry you are going through this difficult time.

I think schoolbus is right on -- your BF needs a significant amount of help. Help that would be innapropriate for you to give.

One of the most powerful things you can do at this point is clarify for yourself and for him your boundaries -- what are you willing to do and NOT DO for him as a friend.

His positive qualities need not be described or defended at this point. I am sure they are there. All you need to do is decide what next steps you wish to take to care for your friend, without going down with him (if he is to go down).
For example, you may decide that you will research local therapists and give him the information. You may decide that you will drive him to appointments or meet him for tea once a week. You may decide to contact his family or the university mental health services and walk away.

You may likewise decide that you will not live with him, talk to him about any of his 'exploits,' and that you will not engage in any conversations about suicide (just let him know if he threatens, you will call safety forces for his own good).

The point is regardless of your history with him; regardless of any of his positive qualities; he has some huge issues to deal with and you can only support him if you have clear and firm boundaries in place.

On another note: Together 15 years and no SF for 3? Really?! Really, OFD?!
And I know PLENTY of people who not only have gotten married during their PhD experience, but also had children. I'm not buying the PhD as any kind of reason for not marrying. I think its clear what was stopping him from marrying.

But, that is a blessing in disguise, huh? Not someone you would want to be legally attached to at this point anyway.
The Universe knows...Trust the process!

Me:BS40
WXH:42
DD15; DS13; DD6
D-day:6/30/08 & 10/25/08
WH moved out 9/15/08
D: 1/15/10

"So take that look out of here, it doesn't fit you, because it's happened, doesn't mean you've been discarded." -- Big Country from "In a Big Country."
"Keep calm and carry on." -- Winston Churchill
P
P
Originally Posted by onefineday
I am not married, but I have been going out with my boyfriend for about 15 years now. We live together and are practically a married couple, he has expressed wanting to marry me as soon as he has completed his PhD studies.

However, I have discovered many things over the past couple months. For instance, he often travels overseas. He tells me that he is visiting his friends in one country, but I looked at his passport and he was actually going to other countries, such as Thailand.. probably to meet women. From there I became suspicious and decided to spy on his computer activity. Sure enough, in his email I found that he had been going to this country and that and messing around. I saw all his emails from all of the women he was with as well. In addition, he had been meeting many women online. His secret email account probably had over 1000 messages in it to at least a hundred different women. He is also currently involved in a semi-serious relationship with another married woman.

When I confronted him about this, he said he was very sorry I had to find out about this. Although it doesn't excuse his behavior, he came from a household where his father would do similar (i.e. have many affairs). He said he did love me but that he had some obvious problems. He said that to him, sex was not part of the equation for love. Sex is purely for pleasure. He does treat me very well, and does everything for me. Besides this sex thing (although of course this is a major thing), he is the sweetest guy you could imagine and he is always there for me no matter what. I tried to convince him to seek counseling but he said that it is something that he has already done in the past. He started crying and saying that he was so messed up and his problems basically precludes himself from having any forms of meaningful relationships because who would want someone like him? He said that he has always been this way even before we met. I suspect that he has sex addiction. We both took a sex addict test, and I scored a 4, which is within normal range. He scored a 15/20 which was in the sex addict range. As I mentioned, he goes online alot, but whenver he looks for people online, he will post in the looking for relationship section of craigslist or some other site, and say that he's 20 even though he's over 30, so that he can attract younger girls (believe me he can easily pass for a college student due to his young and good looks).

He is very secretive about his problems to everyone, and I think I am the first person who has learned the truth about him. I thought about exposing him, but I don't really know if it will do any good (and to whom should I expose: his family, friends, work??). I had threatened to expose him n the past, at least to his family (and this is before I came across this site), and he was very very angry. In fact he went into a bit of a frenzy and destroyed a wall (he has never laid a finger on me before though). He told me that if I did that I would ruin his life. He even threatened suicide. He said either he would commit suicide or he would just leave his town or family and never come back. If he did either of those things, I don't think it would help me very much.. I don't think he would go through with a suicide, but honestly I don't know that 100 percent.. he often times says extreme things and I won't believe him but he goes through with it anyway just to prove his point.

I know he is a big mess but I don't want to walk away. I love him very much and I know he loves me back as well (like I said before, all his other actions show that he loves me other than his sex addiction problems). Also, other than his problems, he is a fairly responsible adult. He helps out around the house, makes a good 6 figure salary, is very hard working, etc. Also I have been with him for 15 years, and I know that if he doesn't have me, then he doesn't have anyone else. He constantly tells me that I'm the only good thing in his life and that if he didn't have me he might as well not live. He does not really have many good friendships and although his family loves him, he does not feel a part of his family.

You've been getting good advice. How did you find us by the way?

How old are you? Any children?

Not saying you should stay with this man, but you might want to purchase Dr. Harley's book about Renters, Buyers and Freeloaders to understand what kind of relationship you have with this man. I'd say your BF is a renter of the highest order. What about you?

Truly, his behavior is not your battle-- only your own.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
L
L
OFD:

I sorry you find yourself in this sitch.

You are not married, and are not having SF with this man, and he travels the world in pursuit of his sexual pleasures.

Otherwise, everything is just peachy in your world.

There is NOTHING for you to do. You can continue to live with his travels and just have a nice place to live. And you say that he is kind to you.

He needs to get help to address his sex addiction. You can go to a SA/Anon group for those that have to live with Sex addicts.

But one day, he is going to come home. The PhD will have been gotten, and whatever he needs you for will have come to an end. And you will be asked to leave.

He says that all his relationships are "Just sex" and not about relationships. And your relationship with him doesn't include the sex. So, its another relationship that is completely disposable.

And he holds all the power in this respect. Becasue HE will come home one day and you will be gone. That is why I second the recommendations that you leave and make your own way in life.

I do not know how old you are. I assume that he is in his early 30's, and you have known him for 15, so I assume you two met when you were in your early-mid teens. You note that you might be older.

You are at an extreme disadvantage to this guy, and he knows its.

Take control of YOUR life. Princess recommended purchasing Dr. Harley's book "Renters, Buyers and Freeloaders" It might be very eye-opening for you.

HE will get his PhD, and then there will be something else preventing him from making the relationship more permenant. Be it another job, another promotion, another SOMETHING will always put that into the future.

He has made his choice, and now he knows that it isn't a problem for you.

And that is an extremly disadvantaged place to be.

Make your own choices....

Control your future. He is controlling his.

LG

S
S
Walk away he could give you AIDS and break your heart! I think my hubby has that sex addict syndrome too. He soudns like yoru friend.

Sable

Divorced, newly married again less than 5 years, both of us Christians, 2 small children
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation