Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
OP Offline
S
How should I handle it if I'm feeling bad about something unrelated to my spouse and have a need to talk to him about it, and he says he has a need not to talk? Following the PoJA, I shouldn't talk, right? But what can I do to deal with my feelings, especially now that I'm feeling hurt that he didn't want to talk about it, as well as still feeling bad about the original problem? And this is happening during UA time?

M
M
Originally Posted by smallpeace
How should I handle it if I'm feeling bad about something unrelated to my spouse and have a need to talk to him about it, and he says he has a need not to talk? Following the PoJA, I shouldn't talk, right? But what can I do to deal with my feelings, especially now that I'm feeling hurt that he didn't want to talk about it, as well as still feeling bad about the original problem? And this is happening during UA time?

smallpeace, was your husband saying he didn't want to talk about THAT subject or he just doesn't want you to talk at all?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Well, one of the first things to say is that UA time should be enjoyable. Therefore, you shouldn't really be attempting to talk about something you feel bad about.

Was the subject something that could have spoiled your UA time?

I realise that there is another issue - that of whether you should talk to him at all about something that matters deeply to you, that he does not want to talk about - but let's deal with UA time first.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
PS - what happened about your email to Dr Harley?

Your husband puzzles me, and I don't think you went all out to rule out an affair.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
OP Offline
S
He talked to me about it for a while, but kept trying to change the subject as we were talking. Then he said he just didn't want to talk about it anymore, and wanted to spend our time doing something more enjoyable to him.

The subject was just some insecurity issues I have involving other things in my life and wasn't something that would have spoiled our UA time for me, since intimate conversation is one of my needs and makes me feel closer to him. It's not something I talk about very often. But it was spoiling the UA time for him.

SugarCane, I never emailed Dr. Harley. I appreciate your advice to do so and see how it might help, but I feel uncomfortable with the idea of being on the radio show.

I guess I didn't go all out to rule out an affair. I looked at his cell phone record and didn't see any unusual numbers, and I asked him directly if he was having an affair. I don't think there's any way he could be having a physical affair, since I can account for most of his time. I guess an emotional affair is possible, but if that's happening, the other woman is completely unknown to me.

M
M
He talked to me about it for a while, but kept trying to change the subject as we were talking. Then he said he just didn't want to talk about it anymore, and wanted to spend our time doing something more enjoyable to him.

The subject was just some insecurity issues I have involving other things in my life and wasn't something that would have spoiled our UA time for me, since intimate conversation is one of my needs and makes me feel closer to him. It's not something I talk about very often. But it was spoiling the UA time for him.

He did the right thing in politely telling you he wanted to change the subject. You both need to get into the habit of informing the other person when the conversation becomes unpleasant. You need to make sure your conversation is mutually enjoyable. Don't let your feelings get hurt when he tells you this, because it is important information. You won't know to change the subject if he doesn't tell you.

I guess I didn't go all out to rule out an affair. I looked at his cell phone record and didn't see any unusual numbers, and I asked him directly if he was having an affair. I don't think there's any way he could be having a physical affair, since I can account for most of his time. I guess an emotional affair is possible, but if that's happening, the other woman is completely unknown to me.

First off, asking him if he is having an affair is never an effective approach. I am unsure why you would rule out a physical affair, though. Is he with you 24/7? Even the dumbest cheater can hide a physical affair.

An emotional affair is just as damaging and you need to FIND OUT IF HE IS HAVING AN AFFAIR. You are wasting our time and yours if there is an affair that you have not uncovered.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
How do I not let myself get hurt? I can't help feeling like he doesn't really want to hear about my innermost feelings. Should I just resign myself to it and get a therapist to talk to about things like that? But then how do I feel close to him?

M
M
How do I not let myself get hurt? I can't help feeling like he doesn't really want to hear about my innermost feelings. Should I just resign myself to it and get a therapist to talk to about things like that? But then how do I feel close to him?

You should focus on conversation that he finds PLEASANT and enjoyable. If he doesn't find your "innermost" feelings enjoyable to discuss, then drop it. I don't know many men who find such discussions very enjoyable. My husband does not!

Why would you need to go to therapy?

Exposure 101

G
G
You describe the affair a married man had with me.

If he is having an affair, he will not confirm it if you ask him. He will probably make some stupid remark about trust. Like my ex did, when I asked him if he knew his wife (google told me about her).

I am not saying he is having an affair, but it is absolutely possible and you need to find out. Intelligent people can be fooled by their spouses, it happens to the best. Learn from this website, you will benefit.

M
M
How do I not let myself get hurt?

I think a more important question is, what do you do about it?

Dr. Harley would be quick to say that it is hard for people to change their feelings. What is easier to change is behavior.

So you would like to discuss topic A during UA time, but your husband doesn't want to. Try this as a possible solution: keep UA time for enjoyable conversation you are both enthusiastic about, and keep your own prioritized list of topics and problems you want to discuss with your husband, and discuss those with him at other times.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Why would you need to go to therapy?

I have anxiety issues and other feelings that, while not really debilitating, come up every once in awhile and I feel a need to talk about them. I had an emotional affair because I felt like I couldn't have intimate conversations with him.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by markos
How do I not let myself get hurt?

I think a more important question is, what do you do about it?

Dr. Harley would be quick to say that it is hard for people to change their feelings. What is easier to change is behavior.

So you would like to discuss topic A during UA time, but your husband doesn't want to. Try this as a possible solution: keep UA time for enjoyable conversation you are both enthusiastic about, and keep your own prioritized list of topics and problems you want to discuss with your husband, and discuss those with him at other times.

OK. I think I can do that.

S
S
I had an emotional affair because I felt like I couldn't have intimate conversations with him.
No, you didn't.

You had an emotional affair because you allowed someone else to meet your need for intimate conversation.

Until you understand that all affairs take place for the same reason - because we allow someone other than our spouse to meet our most important emotional needs - you will be highly vulnerable to another affair.

Tell us about this affair. When was it, and with whom?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
W
smallpeace, my husband has obsessive compulsive disorder and he used to talk with me when he had a "bad" thought or a particularly bad bout of anxiety. For a long time, I listened because I wanted to be supportive and understanding. Ultimately, however, it became draining and very unpleasant, and I wanted him to stop. We had several arguments about it--me claiming that it was a lovebuster for him to discuss his anxiety (falling under the category of "annoying habit") and he claiming that I wasn't meeting his need to talk through it. I ultimately posed the question to this board and Dr. Harley, who encouraged him to see a therapist.

Occasionally my husband still wants to talk through something if he is having a bout of anxiety, but I remind him that I'm not his therapist and those discussions are best left for therapy because I'm not equipped with the tools to help him through it.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents from the perspective of somebody who does not enjoy discussions rooted in anxiety.

Last edited by Wife_Loving_Life; 05/23/16 03:49 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Wife Loving Life, that's good information. Thank you.

The emotional affair was with a friend. It was a couple years ago. FWIW, my husband also had an emotional affair several years ago. We told each other about the affairs- that was how they were discovered. We both knew the other people involved.

We both understand that affairs happen when we allow others to meet our needs, and have been taking precautions.

Last edited by smallpeace; 05/23/16 04:11 PM.
M
M
[I had an emotional affair because I felt like I couldn't have intimate conversations with him.

No, you did not. You had an affair because you have poor boundaries around men. frown You don't NEED to have "intimate conversations." That is not a "need" like air or water.

Exposure 101

S
S
The emotional affair was with a friend. It was a couple years ago. .
So where is this friend now in your life? And how did the affair end?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by Wife_Loving_Life
smallpeace, my husband has obsessive compulsive disorder and he used to talk with me when he had a "bad" thought or a particularly bad bout of anxiety. For a long time, I listened because I wanted to be supportive and understanding. Ultimately, however, it became draining and very unpleasant, and I wanted him to stop. We had several arguments about it--me claiming that it was a lovebuster for him to discuss his anxiety (falling under the category of "annoying habit") and he claiming that I wasn't meeting his need to talk through it. I ultimately posed the question to this board and Dr. Harley, who encouraged him to see a therapist.

Occasionally my husband still wants to talk through something if he is having a bout of anxiety, but I remind him that I'm not his therapist and those discussions are best left for therapy because I'm not equipped with the tools to help him through it.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents from the perspective of somebody who does not enjoy discussions rooted in anxiety.

From what I have heard Dr. Harley say, wives really don't cope well with husbands' anxiety issues, because their emotional needs are basically rooted in security, and a husband with severe anxiety is extremely threatening to their sense of security. Dr. Harley generally advises men to get treatment if they have such issues.

But I have not heard him advise it the other way around. I am pretty sure Dr. Harley does encourage men to support their wives through their anxieties, take it seriously, and use it as an opportunity to meet the wife's emotional needs. I feel pretty confident Dr. Harley would encourage the husband here to meet smallpeace's need for conversation and her need to have him as a partner in life in solving and dealing with her problems. I also feel pretty confident he would encourage smallpeace to prioritize the problems she is facing and not allow unpleasant conversation about them to disrupt UA time.

And I know for an absolute fact he'd encourage smallpeace to talk to us about the affairs that have happened in their marriage and the steps that have been taken to recover and prevent recurrence.

Last edited by markos; 05/23/16 04:40 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Markos. That's very interesting. I'll try your earlier advice to talk about my problems outside of UA time.

Neither of us are friends with the people we had affairs with anymore. In my case the other man ended it because his wife found out. I told my husband about it a few months later (after I discovered MB and found out about the policy of radical honesty). In my husband's case, he told me, and we discussed it and agreed he should terminate the friendship.

Last edited by smallpeace; 05/23/16 04:56 PM.
D
D

From what I have heard Dr. Harley say, wives really don't cope well with husbands' anxiety issues, because their emotional needs are basically rooted in security, and a husband with severe anxiety is extremely threatening to their sense of security. Dr. Harley generally advises men to get treatment if they have such issues.

But I have not heard him advise it the other way around. I am pretty sure Dr. Harley does encourage men to support their wives through their anxieties, take it seriously, and use it as an opportunity to meet the wife's emotional needs. I feel pretty confident Dr. Harley would encourage the husband here to meet smallpeace's need for conversation and her need to have him as a partner in life in solving and dealing with her problems. I also feel pretty confident he would encourage smallpeace to prioritize the problems she is facing and not allow unpleasant conversation about them to disrupt UA time.

And I know for an absolute fact he'd encourage smallpeace to talk about the affairs that have happened in their marriage and the steps that have been taken to recover and prevent recurrence.

I was thinking the same thing as Marcos, about how Dr. Harley mentions the need women have to work through their problems with their husbands. I have this need as well.

I also, like WLL have experienced the huge weight of listening to complaints rooted in persistent anxiety. It gets old and ruins the positivity of UA time.

Smallpeace...I agree with the advice to separate your time of discussing worries and anxieties to outside UA time. That is the time to put your best self forward for your husband.

I would encourage you to find CONSTRUCTIVE ways to discuss your anxieties. If it is a problem that can be solved, then try presenting it to your husband as a problem that causes you anxiety, and ask for his help in making a plan to resolve it. If it is unsolvable, then talk with a therapist and consider medication. Even though we need to feel supported in our struggles, it doesn't help to bring our spouse down with repetitive lamenting or overwhelm, especially when there is nothing that the spouse can do to solve the problem.

So, do you think that you are approaching your husband for help with the problems you face? Or are you expecting to have him listen to you complain about your misfortune?

M
M
Thanks Markos. That's very interesting. I'll try your earlier advice to talk about my problems outside of UA time.

Neither of us are friends with the people we had affairs with anymore. In my case the other man ended it because his wife found out. I told my husband about it a few months later (after I discovered MB and found out about the policy of radical honesty). In my husband's case, he told me, and we discussed it and agreed he should terminate the friendship.

What else has changed about your lives to prevent further affairs?

M
M
Typically there is a lot that a husband can do about problems a wife is anxious about. I'd want to know a lot of specifics before concluding there's a problem that can't be solved. I wouldn't want to enable a husband to make the common mistake of telling his wife the problem can't be solved and then refusing to discuss it with her at all, especially since the solution she needs may simply be for her to be able to talk to him about the situation.

D
D
Typically there is a lot that a husband can do about problems a wife is anxious about. I'd want to know a lot of specifics before concluding there's a problem that can't be solved. I wouldn't want to enable a husband to make the common mistake of telling his wife the problem can't be solved and then refusing to discuss it with her at all, especially since the solution she needs may simply be for her to be able to talk to him about the situation.

I totally agree. It is never good to shut your spouse down and be closed to conversation. And this husband may be missing out on a prime opportunity to deposit love units.

And sometimes, people just want to vent. I remember Dr. Harley discussing this on MBradio. Wish I could remember which show.

Smallpeace, what exactly are you looking for your husband to say or do in these situations?

S
OP Offline
S

What else has changed about your lives to prevent further affairs?

We're working on meeting each other's emotional needs, and avoiding having them met elsewhere.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

I totally agree. It is never good to shut your spouse down and be closed to conversation. And this husband may be missing out on a prime opportunity to deposit love units.

And sometimes, people just want to vent. I remember Dr. Harley discussing this on MBradio. Wish I could remember which show.

Smallpeace, what exactly are you looking for your husband to say or do in these situations?

I guess just provide sympathy and reassurance, and maybe insight and advice. He basically said there was nothing I could do about it and he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

M
M
[quote=markos][quote=smallpeace]Thanks Markos. That's very interesting. I'll try your earlier advice to talk about my problems outside of UA time.

Did you and your husband end all contact with these people?

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

I guess just provide sympathy and reassurance, and maybe insight and advice. He basically said there was nothing I could do about it and he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Can you give us a specific example?

S
OP Offline
S
We had a discussion this morning. It turns out that the reason he didn't want to talk about it was that it felt kind of sprung on him during our UA time, and he was worried that it would have a negative impact. That's the short version anyway.

We agreed to follow Markos' advice and set aside separate, non-UA time to talk about problems. We talked about my problem today and he was very helpful and empathetic. smile

But something else came out it in the discussion. I hadn't mentioned it on this forum, but the incident (me wanting to talk about my problems and him not wanting to) lead to a huge fight. I was upset when he didn't want to talk about it and told him I was hurt, and he saw that as me aggressively not allowing him to drop the conversation. I realize that I should have followed the PoJA and let it go.

He got really mad, and had a major angry outburst the next morning. We talked about that today, and he said that when I do something that he interprets as aggressive (like talking to him about something he doesn't want to talk about), he loses empathy for me, and starts to see me as his enemy, not a person with feelings, and that leads to his angry outbursts. So my question now is, how can he work on building empathy? He's willing to work on it.

M
M
Dr. Harley's position is that empathy can actually be pretty rare but the Policy of Joint Agreement is a tool for people to use that will cause them to behave as if they have empathy even when they do not feel it.

W
W

And I know for an absolute fact he'd encourage smallpeace to talk to us about the affairs that have happened in their marriage and the steps that have been taken to recover and prevent recurrence.

This is absolutely correct--Dr. Harley does state that it's easier for a husband to handle his wife's anxiety than vice versa. However, when smallpeace stated:

I have anxiety issues and other feelings that, while not really debilitating, come up every once in awhile and I feel a need to talk about them. I had an emotional affair because I felt like I couldn't have intimate conversations with him.

I assumed this issue with anxiety might be bigger than smallpeace simply wanting to talk about unpleasant topics. In Dr. Harley's email to me he said "In my book, He Wins, She Wins, I discuss how important it is for a person with an emotional disorder to take responsibility for it. It should not be up to the spouse to �cure� her mate. Emotional disorders left untreated makes it impossible to meet emotional needs or follow the Policy of Joint Agreement when making joint decisions. It also greatly limits the possibilities that are acceptable."

My thinking was that if the topics that smallpeace wanted to discuss were rooted in her anxiety, she might want to explore seeing a therapist (given that she brought up possibly needing to go to therapy). I could be making a mountain out of a molehill, just wanted to make sure that smallpeace wasn't using discussions with her husband as a way to "cure" her anxiety.

Okay, going back to lurking mode! Just wanted to share my experience.

M
M

This is absolutely correct--Dr. Harley does state that it's easier for a husband to handle his wife's anxiety than vice versa. However, when smallpeace stated:

I assumed this issue with anxiety might be bigger than smallpeace simply wanting to talk about unpleasant topics. In Dr. Harley's email to me he said "In my book, He Wins, She Wins, I discuss how important it is for a person with an emotional disorder to take responsibility for it. It should not be up to the spouse to �cure� her mate. Emotional disorders left untreated makes it impossible to meet emotional needs or follow the Policy of Joint Agreement when making joint decisions. It also greatly limits the possibilities that are acceptable."

My thinking was that if the topics that smallpeace wanted to discuss were rooted in her anxiety, she might want to explore seeing a therapist (given that she brought up possibly needing to go to therapy). I could be making a mountain out of a molehill, just wanted to make sure that smallpeace wasn't using discussions with her husband as a way to "cure" her anxiety.

I really think we need to get more specifics here.

I am EXTREMELY concerned that smallpeace said what she wanted to talk to her husband about was "insecurities." 9 times out of 5 here, when somebody says they are worried about feeling insecure, the REAL problem is that their spouse is doing something reprehensible like having friendships with other women, or looking at porn, and the offended spouse is made to feel as if something is wrong with them and they are "insecure" or "jealous" or has an "emotional disorder," when the real solution is for the spouse to quit being a jerk and start following the policy of joint agreement not to mention basic human decency.

We have no real idea what the scenario is because smallpeace hasn't given us much to go on (hint, hint, smallpeace! smile ).

Plus (and I actually discussed this with Dr. Harley recently) Dr. Harley does advise men and women pretty differently about this sort of thing - he has said that men who have anxiety issues are extremely difficult for women to deal with (full disclosure: I have some pretty high anxieties). But when it's the wife who has high anxiety Dr. Harley really does encourage the husband to accommodate her as part of caring for her. If there's a problem they need to solve it and if it's a problem of the past they need to not dwell on it but her husband needs to know about her emotional reactions to everything - especially if it's her emotional reactions to something he is doing.

M
M
By the way, I'm sitting next to my wife in a doctor's office specifically because she has a fear of doctor's offices that many would call "irrational," but she needs to see a doctor today. I'm here just to support her. Just now the door opened and the doctor started to come in and then turned around and backed out to go to another room, and Prisca grabbed me hard and just about wouldn't let go.

If I were to call this an "emotional disorder," Dr. Harley would be the first one to let me know that the problem isn't my wife's anxieties; the problem is I'm a disrespectful jerk.

W
W
Totally fair, Markos. And hope Prisca had a good appointment!

P
P
He got really mad, and had a major angry outburst the next morning. We talked about that today, and he said that when I do something that he interprets as aggressive (like talking to him about something he doesn't want to talk about), he loses empathy for me, and starts to see me as his enemy, not a person with feelings, and that leads to his angry outbursts.
Your husband has angry outbursts because you want to talk to him? And then blames you for his angry outbursts?

Nothing else in your marriage can be solved until he eliminates ALL angry outbursts. And he won't be able to do that as long as he blames you for them.

Listen, your husband isn't 2 years old. No one can MAKE him mad. He has angry outbursts because he chooses not to control himself. He lets himself go insane in response to frustration. Don't let him blame you for that.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Don't let him blame you for that.

Right, not even subtly.

Now that Prisca has made me notice the angry outbursts, this sounds a lot like what Prisca and I used to go through: everything great for awhile and then BOOM! angry outburst.

P
P
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"First off, angry outbursts by either spouse prevents recovery. No marital problems can be solved if one spouse has even a very occasional angry outburst. Whatever the anger is related to, it makes a solution impossible."
Here

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
"I regard angry outbursts as the worst Love Buster. That's because it's not only physically and emotionally dangerous to the other spouse, but it completely eliminates the possibility of marital problem solving. For most couples we try to help, if they can't stop their angry outbursts, nothing else works. They can't follow the Policy of Joint Agreement and they can't follow the Policy of Undivided Attention. Without those two rules in place, there's no hope for a satisfying marriage.

So you must do everything in your power to stop all angry outbursts completely."
From here

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
"Early on, I came to recognize that angry outbursts are probably the most damaging thing a spouse can do in marriage. I say this in spite of my recognition that infidelity is also a very damaging behavior. But I'm often more optimistic about the recovery of a marriage that has suffered from infidelity than than recovery of a marriage that suffers from angry outbursts. The primary reason that angry outbursts just about eliminate the hope of marital happiness is that even if they are very infrequent, they prevent a couple from solving their problems because the threat always hangs over every conversation. The first guideline for marital negotiation is to make the discussion pleasant and safe, and an angry spouse fails that very first condition, making the rest of it impossible to implement. Angry spouses simply create an environment that makes it impossible to make marital adjustments. That's why I advise couples with multiple problems that include anger to overcome the anger first, and then focus on the rest of the problems later."
Here

"In some cases, I've recommended separation when one spouse doesn't take their angry outbursts seriously. For those who have not experienced physical abuse, they often feel that separation is too extreme. But I know for a fact as a clinical psychologist that angry outbursts are a form of temporary insanity, and most people who have angry outbursts cannot control what they do. In some cases, the very first angry outburst that became physical resulted in permanently injured or even death. The angry spouse has no idea that they would hurt their spouse so badly until it had already happened. Then they are grief-stricken at what took place. Angry outbursts must be completely eliminated in marriage, or the marriage is too dangerous to continue."
From here

Prisca:

How is Markos doing with his anger management program? A point we often make is that if angry outbursts are not eliminated from a marriage, no other problems can be solved.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
I assumed this issue with anxiety might be bigger than smallpeace simply wanting to talk about unpleasant topics. In Dr. Harley's email to me he said "In my book, He Wins, She Wins, I discuss how important it is for a person with an emotional disorder to take responsibility for it. It should not be up to the spouse to “cure” her mate. Emotional disorders left untreated makes it impossible to meet emotional needs or follow the Policy of Joint Agreement when making joint decisions. It also greatly limits the possibilities that are acceptable."

WLL, I wouldn't say that I have an anxiety disorder. I have anxiety about certain topics, and problems with self-acceptance, but I don't bring them up very often (meaning maybe once every few months). When I do bring them up, though, it's because I feel it would help me to talk through it, and if my husband doesn't want to, I feel like he doesn't care about me. However, I think he and I have pretty much resolved this issue for now. smile I'm also exploring ways that I can deal with my own anxiety, such as yoga and meditation.

S
OP Offline
S
I really think we need to get more specifics here.

I am EXTREMELY concerned that smallpeace said what she wanted to talk to her husband about was "insecurities." 9 times out of 5 here, when somebody says they are worried about feeling insecure, the REAL problem is that their spouse is doing something reprehensible like having friendships with other women, or looking at porn, and the offended spouse is made to feel as if something is wrong with them and they are "insecure" or "jealous" or has an "emotional disorder," when the real solution is for the spouse to quit being a jerk and start following the policy of joint agreement not to mention basic human decency.

We have no real idea what the scenario is because smallpeace hasn't given us much to go on (hint, hint, smallpeace! smile ).

Markos, it's not anxiety about him or anything he's doing.

P
P
What is he going to do about his anger?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S

Right, not even subtly.

Now that Prisca has made me notice the angry outbursts, this sounds a lot like what Prisca and I used to go through: everything great for awhile and then BOOM! angry outburst.

What did you do to stop the angry outbursts?

S
OP Offline
S

He doesn't know. We're trying to figure that out.

S
OP Offline
S
He's very unhappy and isn't sure whether he cares enough about the marriage to address his anger. I made it clear to him that he must address it or I can't live with him. So we're in the midst of discussing it.

M
M

Right, not even subtly.

What did you do to stop the angry outbursts?

Prisca told me I couldn't live with her any more if I continued to have angry outbursts. Dr. Harley approved. She got ready to change the locks and get her dad over to help force me out, but didn't have to because I conceded that I couldn't be allowed to continue to have angry outbursts.

Prisca has a great thread on the subject.

M
M
He's very unhappy and isn't sure whether he cares enough about the marriage

Okay, that is just cruel. Don't discuss that with him because it will just hurt you. Let him figure that out when he is alone. Ask him to leave until he's sure he cares about the marriage and will address his anger. If he refuses, come back here and we'll tell you what to do next.

Tell him he must leave if he doesn't yet know whether he cares about your marriage. You shouldn't be subjected to that.

M
M

He doesn't know. We're trying to figure that out.

Don't put a "we" in there. He needs to figure this out. Let him know Dr. Harley will help him and remind him of the book Love Busters, and let him know he can't stay with you if the angry outbursts don't stop. Then leave it to him.

P
P
He's very unhappy and isn't sure whether he cares enough about the marriage to address his anger.
I'd kick him out until he was sure.
Read the link in my signature to "What To Do With An Angry Husband."

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
Your husband is going to need to take anger management. He'll need to find one that concentrates on relaxation techniques (not all anger management programs are created equal).

Dr. Harley would also be willing to discuss it with him.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
Is there a way he can talk to Dr. Harley without going on the radio show or buying the online program?

S
OP Offline
S
I just read What to do with an Angry Husband and listened to the segments it linked to. Thank you very much for that.

M
M
Is there a way he can talk to Dr. Harley without going on the radio show or buying the online program?

There are other options smallpeace.

If he wishes to get some counseling I'd recommend you check out the Coaching Center to get that help.

It was very helpful to our marriage to do over the phone counseling with Dr Harley's daughter Jennifer. She worked with us one on one and also together as a team.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
He will answer your email if you write to him. There is never any obligation to go on the show.

He will answer your email privately, if you wish.

He will answer your email on the show, if you don't mind, but only after he has asked your permission.

He will talk to you on the show, but only after his wife and producer, Joyce Harley, has talked to you and asked your permission.

You're worrying about all this instead of just sending the email. I do wish you'd do it. No-one can force you to be on a radio show!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P

He needs to talk to email Dr. Harley. It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that. And if he's not willing to do something so cheap and easy to better your marriage, I'd have serious doubts about my future with him if I were you.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MrAlias

There are other options smallpeace.

If he wishes to get some counseling I'd recommend you check out the Coaching Center to get that help.

It was very helpful to our marriage to do over the phone counseling with Dr Harley's daughter Jennifer. She worked with us one on one and also together as a team.

Thank you!

P
P
I love Jennifer and Steve and what they do, but your husband needs to talk to Dr. Harley himself.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SugarCane
He will answer your email if you write to him. There is never any obligation to go on the show.

He will answer your email privately, if you wish.

He will answer your email on the show, if you don't mind, but only after he has asked your permission.

He will talk to you on the show, but only after his wife and producer, Joyce Harley, has talked to you and asked your permission.

You're worrying about all this instead of just sending the email. I do wish you'd do it. No-one can force you to be on a radio show!

Thanks- I didn't realize you could just email him and he'd reply without you being on the show.

S
OP Offline
S
I love Jennifer and Steve and what they do, but your husband needs to talk to Dr. Harley himself.

Thanks. He is willing to talk to him and actually asked me about that himself, but we didn't realize he could just email him and get a reply without being on the radio show.

B
B

Thanks. He is willing to talk to him and actually asked me about that himself, but we didn't realize he could just email him and get a reply without being on the radio show.

Will you let us know how it turns out?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
Yes. He committed to writing to Dr. Harley by Sunday. Thank you all so much!

S
OP Offline
S
His email (from "Franklin") was on the radio show today. We both think Dr. Harley gave really good advice.

Just wanted to add context to a couple things my husband wrote. I have been working on dropping conversations when he asks me to. The example he gave about the car happened years ago, and I haven't followed him out of the house since then. The example he gave about talking at 2AM was an argument that had started a couple hours earlier and we were still up arguing that late- it wasn't that I woke him up to talk, and actually I was upset that we were still talking that late too. I've never woken him up to talk (but he has done that to me!). When he said that I wouldn't turn off the reading light- I need to read for a few minutes in order to fall asleep. He knows that but I reminded him of it and asked if I could please read for a few minutes to fall asleep. He let me, but I guess got angry about it. That situation doesn't usually come up though because he normally goes to bed after I do (bad, I know).

We agreed a last week to stop having arguments, but we came very close to having one the other day because I respectfully asked him why he hadn't done something he'd said he'd do and he heard it as criticism. It's really hard for both of us to stop getting defensive.

OK, that's it- I welcome your feedback!

Last edited by smallpeace; 06/01/16 04:03 PM.
M
M
smallpeace, Prisca and I had to almost completely drop the word "why?" from our negotiation conversations, because it is so easy for it to be read as a challenge. It is important to understand each other's point of view, but we had to find ways to ask each other about our point of view without using that word. Asking more specific questions helped.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Markos. That's helpful!

I just listened to Anger Management 101, which I'd somehow missed before and was full of helpful information. My husband definitely seems to get angry because of feeling disrespected or rejected. Dr. Harley mentioned that the caller should address those feelings, but do you have any suggestions of how he should do that? Most of our arguments started because I'd respectfully (from my perspective) complain about something and he'd get defensive so I'd feel hurt, or he'd tell me I did or felt something wrong using disrespectful judgments and I'd feel hurt and defensive, and then he'd feel doubly disrespected because I'd tell him that I didn't feel the way he thought I did, so he'd start to lose his temper.

B
B
Did you listen to all the clips in the anger management thread? I have posted many towards the end of the thread.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Thanks, Markos. That's helpful!

I just listened to Anger Management 101, which I'd somehow missed before and was full of helpful information. My husband definitely seems to get angry because of feeling disrespected or rejected. Dr. Harley mentioned that the caller should address those feelings, but do you have any suggestions of how he should do that?

Dr. Harley's plan for avoiding angry outbursts involves two aspects.

One aspect is having a plan to try to avoid circumstances that trigger angry outbursts. This would certainly include love busters on the part of one's spouse, or learning to leave conversations that include love busters, etc.

The other aspect, and probably the important one, is relaxation therapy training for those times when triggers cannot be avoided. You and your husband will have to learn how to stay relaxed when something frustrates you and even how to stay relaxed when your spouse does something wrong or does something hurtful. This is certainly not easy, but it is definitely possible. Dr. Harley talks quite a bit about relaxation therapy - be sure to keep listening to those links and reading articles and Love Busters until you find it.

Most of our arguments started because I'd respectfully (from my perspective) complain about something and he'd get defensive so I'd feel hurt,

I would suggest that for now after a complaint you promptly end the conversation or move to another subject. That will give you both time to calm down if either of you is getting emotional about the subject. Then you can come back to it later when you are both calm and discuss it again for awhile. Or better still you may find that after you are both calm he simply stops engaging in whatever behavior you were complaining about and no more discussion is necessary. Resist the urge to make him see your point or make him feel what you are feeling or make emphasize/understand/etc. Just pass the information that what he is doing bothers you and give some time for him to decide to do something about it.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Did you listen to all the clips in the anger management thread? I have posted many towards the end of the thread.

I'm making my way through them. Thanks!

S
OP Offline
S
I would suggest that for now after a complaint you promptly end the conversation or move to another subject. That will give you both time to calm down if either of you is getting emotional about the subject. Then you can come back to it later when you are both calm and discuss it again for awhile. Or better still you may find that after you are both calm he simply stops engaging in whatever behavior you were complaining about and no more discussion is necessary. Resist the urge to make him see your point or make him feel what you are feeling or make emphasize/understand/etc. Just pass the information that what he is doing bothers you and give some time for him to decide to do something about it.

OK, thanks! Is timing something I should consider? For example, often when I complain about something, even if I say "it bothers me when...", he immediately gets upset because he thinks complaining is negative and there haven't been enough positive interactions between us, so I'm afraid to complain. I think by "positive interactions" he means affection and/or sex. But I don't want to feel like I need to "butter him up" in order to respectfully make a complaint!

M
M

OK, thanks! Is timing something I should consider? For example, often when I complain about something, even if I say "it bothers me when...", he immediately gets upset because he thinks complaining is negative and there haven't been enough positive interactions between us, so I'm afraid to complain. I think by "positive interactions" he means affection and/or sex. But I don't want to feel like I need to "butter him up" in order to respectfully make a complaint!

Positive interactions have to wait until the Demands, Disrespectful Judgments, and Angry Outbursts stop.

Nobody can earn an end to SDs, DJs, and AOs by making enough "positive interactions." A person who has demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts is a black hole that can never be filled by "positive interactions" or "meeting emotional needs." They have to KNOCK IT OFF and then positive interactions are possible.

S
OP Offline
S
Positive interactions have to wait until the Demands, Disrespectful Judgments, and Angry Outbursts stop.

Nobody can earn an end to SDs, DJs, and AOs by making enough "positive interactions." A person who has demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts is a black hole that can never be filled by "positive interactions" or "meeting emotional needs." They have to KNOCK IT OFF and then positive interactions are possible.

Thanks. That was my understanding as well. So should I stop complaining until his love busters stop? I've already committed to stopping my SDs, and stopping arguing. I'm not even sure whether his getting upset when I complain is a SD, DJ, or AO. I think he sees complaining as a DJ, even if phrased "it bothers me when" (he thinks he reads a subtext of criticism).

Also, how long should I wait to be able to determine that his SDs, DJs, and AOs have permanently stopped? Weeks? Months?

Last edited by smallpeace; 06/06/16 11:02 AM.
E
E
Dr Harley would say:
AO: next one he has-kick him out of the house for a year while he does anger management and can prove for that year that he is safe to live with. This is non-negotiable. Anger kills and stops anyone from having any kind of real relationship.

The DJ and SD, write down each and every instance and give it to him at the end of the week. When you see that he has stopped for 3-4 months... you are on the right track of having trained yourself out of them.

His getting upset can be a little of all of those depending on what he says and does. Does he yell? Do you feel he has punished you? I need to know more.

It doesn't matter if he thinks your complaining is a DJ. It isn't- as long as you phrase it correctly and then drop it. Dr H does suggest if it is to hard to talk it out, to write it out and then just give it to him as I suggested above.

(hint: if he tears up the paper, or tells you that this is to much or makes any kind of remark like that- Its an AO and DR H would tell you to kick him out immediately. It really is that serious)

Thanks. That was my understanding as well. So should I stop complaining until his love busters stop? I've already committed to stopping my SDs, and stopping arguing. I'm not even sure whether his getting upset when I complain is a SD, DJ, or AO. I think he sees complaining as a DJ, even if phrased "it bothers me when" (he thinks he reads a subtext of criticism).

Also, how long should I wait to be able to determine that his SDs, DJs, and AOs have permanently stopped? Weeks? Months?

BW-3 Kids
Sep:2014
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed." Og Mandino
B
B
Radio Show on Angry Outbursts

How's it going smallpeace?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
OP Offline
S
It's going OK. Thanks for asking. We both feel like things are generally on an upward swing but he's still pretty unhappy and hasn't been able to completely control his AOs and DJs, although they have been less severe. He still agrees that he needs to keep working on eliminating them.

Another thing came up yesterday that has been recurring in our relationship but I hadn't mentioned before on the forum. He said that it seems like I've been getting out of shape and that it really bothers him. I know that he communicated this to me in the appropriate way, but I can't help feeling upset about it (I just said OK and didn't let him know I was upset). I'm 5'9, 135 lbs, and my weight hasn't changed, I still look the same to myself, and my clothes fit the same, I haven't changed my eating or exercise habits. So basically all that was communicated to me was that he doesn't find me attractive right now, but I don't know what I can do about it. PA is one of his top needs, but I feel like he's a little unreasonable about it (I didn't tell him this since it would be a DJ). I feel like asking him to try to refrain from saying anything about my appearance unless it's really obvious, because it just makes me feel unattractive and makes love bank withdrawals. What should I do?

Last edited by smallpeace; 07/20/16 10:41 AM.
P
P
When he has completely eliminated his AOs, you can discuss what exactly he would like as far as your looks. Until then, such a discussion is not safe.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
OK, thanks. So until then, how should I handle his complaint? What other discussions should we avoid?

A
A
Perhaps suggest exercise or more physically active UA but no weight discussions.

Not judging him, but at 5'9" and 135#, you are closer to underweight than overweight. Is he looking at porn or doctored images of women in mags or TV?

S
OP Offline
S
I usually suggest walks or hiking for UA already. His "type" that he's attracted to is very slim. I don't know why, but it's always been that way. He says he doesn't look at porn or mags, but he sometimes comments that he sees me next to other people and compared to them I look out of shape. We also live in a major urban area and he sees a lot of young, beautiful women daily.

He'll kind of go back and forth between telling me how great I look, and complaining that I'm not in shape, but from my perspective I always look more or less the same, and I monitor my weight which is always the same.

A
A
I think he is looking at porn/doctored images. Did you put spyware on his computer/phone?

Someone 5'9" and 135 is quite slender.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by apples123
I think he is looking at porn/doctored images. Did you put spyware on his computer/phone?

No. Can you direct me to info about that?

Last edited by smallpeace; 07/20/16 01:22 PM.
M
M
OK, thanks. So until then, how should I handle his complaint? What other discussions should we avoid?

Have you told your husband his angry outbursts have to stop?

When was his last angry outburst?

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, I have told him, and he agrees. His last angry outburst was last weekend, but he didn't realize it was an angry outburst until I pointed it out, and he apologized. He's been working on calming techniques. He knows that our job right now is to eliminate love busters.

He's still unhappy, though, so it's hard for him. He told me that he thinks it's not fair that I married him knowing that he had anger problems and now I need him to change, but he just wants me to be the way I was when we got married. He feels like I deceived him.

It takes him a long time to be cheerful again after something upsets him. Even if he's trying to refrain from love busters and is acting relatively calm, he'll sulk and be kind of morose and mean, and that can last for a day or two. I think he just thinks I'm wrong and can't get over it.

He's been having trouble eliminating DJs. He says that he feels the right thing to do is to tell me if he thinks I did something wrong, because it's important for me to know that he thinks it's wrong. I told him Dr. Harley doesn't agree, and he said he didn't care.

On the other hand, we've been having a lot of fun during UA time, have pretty much stopped arguing, and the majority of the time we get along really well. It's like we'll have 1-2 weeks that are really good, and then he'll get upset about something and still doesn't handle it that well, but it's better. I've been working on regulating my emotions too and he agrees that I've gotten better.

A
A
Originally Posted by apples123

No. Can you direct me to info about that?

In the Operation Investigate forum

P
P
He says that he feels the right thing to do is to tell me if he thinks I did something wrong, because it's important for me to know that he thinks it's wrong. I told him Dr. Harley doesn't agree, and he said he didn't care.
I would consider that the equivalent of "tearing up the paper," and I would kick him out immediately.

Originally Posted by Elaina
(hint: if he tears up the paper, or tells you that this is to much or makes any kind of remark like that- Its an AO and DR H would tell you to kick him out immediately. It really is that serious)

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

E
E
Yes, I have told him, and he agrees. His last angry outburst was last weekend, but he didn't realize it was an angry outburst until I pointed it out, and he apologized. He's been working on calming techniques. He knows that our job right now is to eliminate love busters.

He's still unhappy, though, so it's hard for him. He told me that he thinks it's not fair that I married him knowing that he had anger problems and now I need him to change, but he just wants me to be the way I was when we got married. He feels like I deceived him.

It takes him a long time to be cheerful again after something upsets him. Even if he's trying to refrain from love busters and is acting relatively calm, he'll sulk and be kind of morose and mean, and that can last for a day or two. I think he just thinks I'm wrong and can't get over it.

He's been having trouble eliminating DJs. He says that he feels the right thing to do is to tell me if he thinks I did something wrong, because it's important for me to know that he thinks it's wrong. I told him Dr. Harley doesn't agree, and he said he didn't care.

On the other hand, we've been having a lot of fun during UA time, have pretty much stopped arguing, and the majority of the time we get along really well. It's like we'll have 1-2 weeks that are really good, and then he'll get upset about something and still doesn't handle it that well, but it's better. I've been working on regulating my emotions too and he agrees that I've gotten better.

Small Peace,
I am sorry to also say that even if you have a few good days, he has a very very long way to go.
Nothing will really ever change for real with all this nonsense about how unfair it is to him that he has to actually treat you like a civilized human being with care and respect.
My word.... He isn't serious SP and is throwing you crumbs to get you to back off. A women can't pull and tug a man up a hill.
HE needs to be the one doing the hard work on himself to make your marriage great.

You do need to separate.

If you don't you will be in this exact same spot forever until it actually hurts you physically.
What women's bodies do when we won't listen to it (and stay in very unhealthy relationships) is to slowly start making you sick until you can't not pay attention anymore.

We aren't telling you this because its easy to hear. From the outside your relationship sounds horrible and we are really trying to give you the best shot at either getting a man worth having or going your separate ways before living like this kills you slowly.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

"I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
S
OP Offline
S
Hi All,

He agreed to keep working on things, and it has been getting better. We took a weekend away and had a great time with no LBs and lots of deposits. Now my question is, how to keep up the momentum once we're back in real life with obligations?

He's been stressed out ever since we got back because he has a lot of extra work. Today he was working from home, and he got upset when I asked him a question about whether he'd be able to get a small daily chore done that is usually his responsibility. He said that when he's stressed out, he needs me to be more supportive and basically not bother him about things like that- like if he answers "I don't know" when I ask him when/if he'll be able to do a chore, I should just drop it. I told him that I felt brushed off, and he said that sometimes his needs should be more important, and he just had too much on his plate to deal with me.

What he said bothered me, because I feel like we need to stay connected even when we're under stress, and it should be less about supporting each other at different times, and more about working through things together, side by side. I feel like he just wants me to leave him alone all day when he's busy, but that makes me feel uncared for.

Am I just being selfish? I didn't handle it too well- he didn't have an AO but I still got really upset because I felt brushed off. Should I have just dropped it until the evening when he's done with work?

Last edited by smallpeace; 08/23/16 02:02 PM.
E
E
Hi All,

He agreed to keep working on things, and it has been getting better. We took a weekend away and had a great time with no LBs and lots of deposits. Now my question is, how to keep up the momentum once we're back in real life with obligations?

He's been stressed out ever since we got back because he has a lot of extra work. Today he was working from home, and he got upset when I asked him a question about whether he'd be able to get a small daily chore done that is usually his responsibility. He said that when he's stressed out, he needs me to be more supportive and basically not bother him about things like that- like if he answers "I don't know" when I ask him when/if he'll be able to do a chore, I should just drop it. I told him that I felt brushed off, and he said that sometimes his needs should be more important, and he just had too much on his plate to deal with me.

What he said bothered me, because I feel like we need to stay connected even when we're under stress, and it should be less about supporting each other at different times, and more about working through things together, side by side. I feel like he just wants me to leave him alone all day when he's busy, but that makes me feel uncared for.

Am I just being selfish? I didn't handle it too well- he didn't have an AO but I still got really upset because I felt brushed off. Should I have just dropped it until the evening when he's done with work?

These little problems are not going to stop.

Nothing can every be resolved until he is in Anger management and he promises to never have another AO again.

NO weekends away, no good days, no good weeks..... NEVER EVER.

Until you know without a shadow of a doubt that he won't have an AO at you.... all this is really pointless.

(I view it as a rattlesnake. It doesn't matter how nice that snake is to you sometimes. Until he learns how to not be a rattlesnake, it is only time before he bites. And he will.)

PS: No one is ever selfish like that way you are suggesting. You are upset and need to let him know without love busting and then not punish him. That is your being radically honest.

BW-3 Kids
Divorced

S
OP Offline
S
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to bring up problems, and differentiating between complaints, requests, and conflicts.

Today, I was running late and forgot to pack a snack for my daughter, and called my husband (who was still home) to ask if he had time to bring it to her school. He got upset, and said that it really bothers him that I'm always running late, and also when she has to get a hot lunch at school because I didn't have time to make her lunch, and that he didn't have time to bring her snack. So I went home to get the snack and was late for work, and was ok with that.

The reason I'm always running late is that I feel overwhelmed with too much to do to get myself and my daughter ready in the morning. Running late is kind of stressful but doesn't bother me that much, and as far as I can tell, doesn't cause any material consequences to my daughter or my husband.

Is this a situation where he should have simply said (when he had calmed down) that it bothers him when I'm running late and don't make her lunch, and I should have simply said I'm sorry, and will stop running late and will make sure that I make her lunch every day? Or would it be appropriate for me to say, let's negotiate a solution together?

As it stands, he is unwilling to negotiate a solution together. He said that I'd let stuff slide to the point where it affects others, and if he'd done that, he'd feel really bad, apologize, and get it together. I told him that I wanted to work on fixing the problem together, and offered a bunch of possible solutions. He said that he just wants me to leave on time and make her lunch every day, and it's up to me to figure out how to do that. He says that it's my responsibility to leave on time, and not leaving on time knowing that bothers him would be disrespectful to him.

I should add that I'm only responsible for getting her to school etc. 2 days a week, and he does it the other 3. He feels resentful that he leaves on time and makes her lunch on his days but I'm less consistent on my days.

I should also add that we've had this conflict for years and have had numerous arguments about it. I'm trying to avoid having another one.

So again, my question is how this should be handled by us.

Another example: last weekend, we had friends over and were playing cards. I went to check on our daughter, and she was having trouble sleeping, so I stayed in her room awhile helping her get to sleep. My husband came in and told me everyone was waiting for me to come back and I was being inconsiderate. The next day, I told him it bothered be that he had said that, and I wished he'd left out the part about being inconsiderate. He said he was sorry for saying that, but still felt like I was being inconsiderate, and would like me to stop being inconsiderate in the future. I told him I wasn't clear on what he wanted me to do, and he took that as me refusing to agree to stop being inconsiderate, and got upset. He said that I always want him to change his behavior but refuse to change mine when he asks me to. Should I really have just said, "ok, I'll try to be more considerate"? In other words, was this a complaint, request, or conflict?

U
U
He got upset,

Does this mean he is stilling having AO's?

U
U
As it stands, he is unwilling to negotiate a solution together.

This is the problem here smallpeace.

S
OP Offline
S
I wouldn't have called it an AO, but he did use DJs. He is working on both but is having a lot of trouble with the DJs. He says he doesn't know how to express himself without them, and figuring out different ways to say everything is more than he feels capable of handling right now. I think he's going to write to Dr. Harley again soon.

Should negotiation always be an option, or are there times when a complaint is a complaint, and you're just supposed to stop whatever the complaint was about (for example, being late or being inconsiderate)?

P
P
The biggest problem I see in your examples is that your husband is full of disrespectful judgements.

Are your actions bothering him? Yes. Is he going about talking to you about it in the right way? NO.

The problem he sees about when your daughter gets to school CAN be solved (and it needs to be solved together), but you can't start solving it until he eliminates demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts.

He says he doesn't know how to express himself without them, and figuring out different ways to say everything is more than he feels capable of handling right now.
This is a copout. He is more than capable of learning how to treat you with care, he just doesn't want to. He's not that fragile.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Should I really have just said, "ok, I'll try to be more considerate"? In other words, was this a complaint, request, or conflict?

It was a complaint/conflict which he expressed with disrespectful judgements and demands.
No, you should not reward his disrespect by saying ok, which is capitulation to not only the disrespect, but also the subtle demand that you behave in the way he chooses.

I will assume it would bother you to be inconsiderate of your daughters needs. Dr Harley might say it was a health and safety issue to take care of your daughter, I'm not sure because its surprised me sometimes what does and does not qualify, but regardless of that aspect, now that a complaint has been brought you should not have friends over while you might need to care for your daughter until you negotiate a solution to such a situation in the future.

He could have said, "it bothered me that you didn't come back down right away and left me to entertain our friends." That would have been an appropriate complaint. At that point you would have had a lovebusters free conflict and could have begun negotiating.

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs
S
OP Offline
S
The problem he sees about when your daughter gets to school CAN be solved (and it needs to be solved together), but you can't start solving it until he eliminates demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts.

I told him last night that we should stop trying to solve problems until SDs, DJs, and AOs are eliminated, and he agreed. How do you know for sure when they've been eliminated? How many weeks/months should pass without them?

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by buildsherhouse
He could have said, "it bothered me that you didn't come back down right away and left me to entertain our friends." That would have been an appropriate complaint. At that point you would have had a lovebusters free conflict and could have begun negotiating.

He wouldn't have said that, because he would say that he and our friends were all complaining that I'd been away too long, so it wasn't just his perspective. He's having a hard time grasping the concept of different perspectives, which I think is what makes him have so many DJs. Whenever I try to point out to him that something is just his perspective, he thinks I'm telling him he's crazy and nobody else thinks the way he does. He also tends to say that I'm just pretending to have my perspective because I don't want to admit that I'm wrong.

With the situation yesterday, he kept saying that he was just trying to uphold a standard of conduct that he thought we'd both agreed to. When I'd say my perspective was a little different, he'd say I was just trying to make excuses. He said my being late was IB.

B
B

I told him last night that we should stop trying to solve problems until SDs, DJs, and AOs are eliminated, and he agreed. How do you know for sure when they've been eliminated? How many weeks/months should pass without them?
They are eliminated when they never come back.

Dr. Harley recommends for women to separate for at least a year while the Husband goes through anger management and prove that he has eliminated AOs. Are you not going to take that advice, like we have given you multiple times, until he eliminates his AOs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
Originally Posted by buildsherhouse

He wouldn't have said that, because he would say that he and our friends were all complaining that I'd been away too long, so it wasn't just his perspective. He's having a hard time grasping the concept of different perspectives, which I think is what makes him have so many DJs. Whenever I try to point out to him that something is just his perspective, he thinks I'm telling him he's crazy and nobody else thinks the way he does. He also tends to say that I'm just pretending to have my perspective because I don't want to admit that I'm wrong.

With the situation yesterday, he kept saying that he was just trying to uphold a standard of conduct that he thought we'd both agreed to. When I'd say my perspective was a little different, he'd say I was just trying to make excuses. He said my being late was IB.

Everything he says is one big DJ. Just so you know. Your best option might be to get a coach. You having to educate him isn't going to work. You can however protect yourself. When he says something disrespectful like this drivel you let him know that hurts your feelings. That he's DJ'ing yet more. And I'd suggest you find a way to let him know you won't stand for it. Say "ouch. I'm going to have to walk away right now as you're being hurtful. Let me know when you're willing to talk with me without DJ'ing". And then walk away.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Of course the better advice is what everyone here has been telling you and that would be for him to get Anger Management. He seems to be clueless to his rudeness.

Last edited by MrAlias; 09/30/16 07:46 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
OP Offline
S
Just now, I asked him if he could look for his phone charger (he has been using mine for the past few weeks, and we keep needing it at the same time). He said that he'd tried looking for it and couldn't find it so was using mine because I've asked him to try to keep his phone charged so I can stay in touch with him. He said that everything he does is wrong and no matter what he does he's still wrong. The more I tried to tell him I didn't think he was doing anything "wrong", asked him how I can phrase requests so he won't get offended, etc., the more worked up he got, until he had a full-on AO.

I told him that he needs to move out. He yelled that that's the most sensible thing he's ever heard me say, and left in a huge huff, calling me a few choice words on his way out.

Just a few minutes before all this happened, he'd been acting sweet. I'd said I thought it was a good idea for us to act positive around each other, and save complaints for scheduled times and emails, and he'd agreed. I guess he saw my request that he look for his charger as a complaint. I still don't understand how he got that I was telling him he was "doing something wrong". He kept saying that I'm always telling him he's doing something wrong and he can't handle it. From my perspective, I NEVER tell him he's doing something wrong. But that's how he hears it.

M
M
Anger Management or else. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for more hurt.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
OP Offline
S
Now he's denying that he had an AO, and is saying he was in control the whole time. He's saying that he kept pleading with me to stop telling him he was wrong and I kept pressing on no matter what he said, so he raised his voice. He's saying that he can't live in a situation in which every time he raises his voice, it's an angry outburst. But I never once said he was wrong, and he wasn't just raising his voice. He was yelling obscenities. I don't know if he actually believes what he's saying.

P
P
It doesn't matter if he agrees. The fact that you call it an AO, is all that he needs to know. Extraordinary care does not include raised voice swearing. He needs a good anger management class.

S
OP Offline
S
He's not coming home tonight and won't tell me where he's staying (but did say it was with a "he"). He's acting like it was his choice to leave. He keeps saying that it's because of MY behavior. He's characterizing it as him getting upset, and then me refusing to "back off". In reality, he was being abusive and I kept trying to defend myself, but I never raised my voice and was respectful. I know I should have walked away, but I didn't realize that until too late.

M
M
Were you badgering him again? What happened?

Exposure 101

M
M
Now he's denying that he had an AO, and is saying he was in control the whole time. He's saying that he kept pleading with me to stop telling him he was wrong and I kept pressing on no matter what he said, .

Did he ask you to stop?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
No, I wasn't badgering him. I didn't tell him he was wrong. I asked him if he could look for his phone charger and he heard that as me telling him he was wrong. I told him I didn't think he was wrong and he said I was telling him he was wrong again. He also never asked me to stop telling him he was wrong. He was the only one saying he was wrong.

M
M
It sounds like it is a good idea for your husband move out. Dr Harley said in the radio show "It might be a good idea for him to separate from her because I view this [her torment] as abuse." That coupled with his angry outbursts is a dangerous combination.

I am listening to the radio show response to your husband's email to Dr. Harley:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=8899#
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=8900#
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=8901#
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=8902#

paraphrasing her husband's email: I have read a good deal of what you have said about anger. I use anger as a last resort when nothing else will make her stop. She won't stop. Even when I plead for her stop. When I lose my temper she will back off. I don't even feel it is accurate to say I get angry to control. I do it as a defense mechanism. Altho she and I agree either can call off a disagreement she won't stop when asked. He feels she is baiting him. Her continuing the conversation is a selfish demand.

If you leave the light on when you know the other person doesn't like it is really an "angry outburst." She is engaged in various lovebusters and this really bothers him. He has tried to adjust to this and he just can't. From his perspective it is his only like of defense. She is in the habit of doing things that upset him. He needs to use his intelligence to overcome his emotions. He needs to do something about this anger. He is not convinced it is a good idea to stop his anger because it is a defense mechanism.

Once I tried to leave the apartment because I felt I was getting angry. I went outside and sat in the car. She came out and got in the car and refused to leave and stop talking. I got angry after 15 minutes and then the conversation became about my outburst.

Dr H says he needs to learn to relax when his wife does this. He will get better and better at this. The neural pathways will change in his brain. He won't get stressed out anymore. His actions to relax might cause her to go after him with more diligence but she will not succeed in getting him angry. I believe in some ways, his anger reinforces her obnoxious behavior. She has been rewarded for this behavior. If he would relax she wouldn't be rewarded and would stop doing this.

It might be a good idea for him to separate from her because I view this as abuse. Some women get to a point where they can't stop tormenting their spouse. It is angry 3rd stage of being quarrelsome and nagging. If she continues in this behavior I would encourage separation.

So it is probably a good idea for you to separate.

Exposure 101

M
M
No, I wasn't badgering him. I didn't tell him he was wrong. I asked him if he could look for his phone charger and he heard that as me telling him he was wrong. I told him I didn't think he was wrong and he said I was telling him he was wrong again. He also never asked me to stop telling him he was wrong. He was the only one saying he was wrong.

Did he ask you to stop?

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr Harley ended the show with "I would encourage her to stop being obnoxious." Have you followed that advice?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
ML, with all due respect, please keep in mind that the radio show was from my husband's perspective, not mine.

No, he did not ask me to stop. And I wasn't "coming after him". He kept telling me what I was thinking and I kept asking how I could rephrase requests in a way that wouldn't offend him. I don't know why he said he was pleading with me to stop. I think he kept hearing everything I said as "you're wrong" and he wanted to stop hearing that, but what he actually said was "[loudly and sarcastically] oh, so I'm wrong! Oh! Wrong again!" etc. He kept putting words in my mouth.

Last edited by smallpeace; 09/30/16 06:01 PM.
M
M
ML, with all due respect, please keep in mind that the radio show was from my husband's perspective, not mine.

No, it was your perspective too. In your first post here, you described the problem where your husband didn't want to talk anymore and you wouldn't let him "withdraw":

My husband and I (together for decades, daughter in grade school) have had problems resolving conflicts for a long time. What keeps happening is that he'll get to the verge of losing his temper and say that he's not discussing the issue anymore, I'll get upset and ask him why we can't resolve the problem, and then he will lose his temper and the issue will become me "not letting" him withdraw from a conversation. He gets really mad about this, yells, calls names, etc., and says that I'm violating his basic right to have autonomy and withdraw, and that I'm in the wrong and he's leaving the marriage if I won't stop "not letting" him withdraw.

That is exactly what your husband described in his email. You explained here that it was "selfish demand" on his part when he wanted to withdraw:

Then we had a long series of emails and texts where he told me that "this was not going to work" if he can't withdraw from a conversation when he feels he has to, and he would end the current conversation if I attempted to evade or mitigate what I did. I told him that sounded like a selfish demand (he's spent some time on the website too, and read parts of the books), and asked if I could rephrase it to "it bothers me to the point of feeling unbearable when I say that you want to stop talking and you keep talking to me"

You said that you felt obliged not to back off:
it's hard for me to not try to reason with him if I feel like I haven't done anything that should make him mad.

Has this type of obnoxious behavior stopped?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, it has stopped, and I no longer think of him asking to withdraw from a conversation as a selfish demand.

The car incident that was described on the radio show happened years ago, well before we started MB, and he had already lost his temper before he or I went to the car.

The issue he described with the light was missing information. We had this light because he asked me to get it for reading, and he had said that it didn't bother him or keep him from sleeping. He asked if I could turn it off. I asked if I could read for a few more minutes first because I have trouble falling asleep right away. He got angry.

Last edited by smallpeace; 09/30/16 06:12 PM.
M
M
So it sounds like it is a good idea for you to separate. Would you agree?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Also, I'm not a stage 3 quarrelsome, nagging wife, and I don't think I ever have been, though I can understand Dr. Harley assuming that based solely on my husband's account.

S
OP Offline
S
Oh yes, I would agree that we should separate if he can't control himself. He's now telling me he's contacted an anger management clinic.

M
M
Also, I'm not a stage 3 quarrelsome, nagging wife, and I don't think I ever have been, though I can understand Dr. Harley assuming that based solely on my husband's account.

Your husbands account matches your own account, though. The details of the incidents might differ, but the behaviors are all there according to your own account.

And that is fine. According to you, this has stopped, right? No more issues with forcing him to listen to you, right? Has that stopped completely?

Why do you think he left for the night?

Exposure 101

M
M
Oh yes, I would agree that we should separate if he can't control himself. He's now telling me he's contacted an anger management clinic.

That's great news!

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Right, I haven't forced him to listen to me, and I've learned to calm myself down so I don't feel a desperate need to be understood by him.

I think he left for the night because I asked him to, and because he thought that my behavior was toxic. When he explained this, it seemed that his ideas about my behavior were all based on his own DJs. But he was finally able to express what he really was feeling without being disrespectful. Things seem better now. He just said he wants to come home.

M
M
RWhen he explained this, it seemed that his ideas about my behavior were all based on his own DJs.

What does this mean? He left because of HIS OWN behavior? That doesn't make sense.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Not because of his behavior, because of his judgements. He said that I 1. told him I didn't like him using my charger; 2. Think everything he does is wrong; 3. kept saying he was wrong. None of that happened in objective reality. I told him it's fine to tell me I did something that upset him, as long as he sticks to the facts and doesn't put words in my mouth. He acknowledged that none of it happened but he just felt like it did, and said that next time he will try to think of a respectful way to tell me that he's upset.

S
OP Offline
S
Here's how our toxic interactions tend to go down: I make an innocuous request. I don't use SDs, DJs, or AOs (he would confirm this; I've asked him). He FEELS like I love busted him and has an emotional reaction (he doesn't SAY that I love busted him- I find that out later, usually in an email). I can tell that he's upset, and try to clarify what I was asking and why I was asking it, in hopes that he'll see that I meant it innocuously. He takes that as arguing with him and not acknowledging his feelings (but his feelings are DJs because he's attributing motives to me). I try to ask him how I could have phrased the question differently. That doesn't work (later in an email he tells me it doesn't matter how I phrase it- I'm still "saying" the same thing). He gets more and more worked up until he has an angry outburst.

He never asks me to stop talking to him while he's still calm. He demands that I stop talking to him when he's already lost his temper (he makes some point, and then says, "I have to stop talking about this now, or else I'm REALLY going to lose it"). Then he usually just stays there. He has never gone on a walk or something to cool off BEFORE he loses his temper.

It's really frustrating for me, but I agreed to stop talking when he makes it clear he doesn't talk anymore, and have stuck to that agreement.

He said that what upset him yesterday was that I asked him to do something when he was trying to get ready for work and hadn't had his coffee, plus he felt like he was already doing several things I'd asked him to do before (on other days), and he didn't feel appreciated. I asked what I could do to make him feel more appreciated, and he didn't really have an answer. He said that I could try to time complaints differently, but I don't know how I can anticipate which requests he'll see as complaints, and I don't feel comfortable with just not being able to ask him anything in the morning.

Other than him taking anger management (which he is going to do), does anyone have suggestions for how to handle situations like this? What we came up with is that if he can't express himself respectfully, he remains silent until he's calmed down. He said that he can't always tell whether he's being respectful, so we agreed that I could say "what you just said bothered me. I can't talk to you until you find a way to say it differently."

M
M
Here's how our toxic interactions tend to go down: I make an innocuous request. I don't use SDs, DJs, or AOs

If it was truly "innocuous" he wouldn't get so upset. You need to learn to discuss things in a way that does not upset him. I see you arguing with him over whether or not it was "innocuous" and that misses the point. It doesn't matter how you MEANT it, it matters how it affects him. So you are barking up the wrong tree here. Stop insisting it was "innocuous" when it is obvious he is upset and focus on communicating in ways that don't upset him.

What happens when he says NO to your requests? Can he safely say NO? Or does he face another exhausting lecture from you where he can't withdraw? Is he conditioned to be punished if he says no?

You do argue ALOT and I can see that reading back through this thread. You argue and then argue about arguing. I can see how that trait drives him nuts.

He never asks me to stop talking to him while he's still calm. He demands that I stop talking to him when he's already lost his temper (he makes some point, and then says, "I have to stop talking about this now, or else I'm REALLY going to lose it"). Then he usually just stays there. He has never gone on a walk or something to cool off BEFORE he loses his temper.

When you see him getting frustrated, you should back off. Have you been using the "Enemies of good conversation" guidelines?

He said that what upset him yesterday was that I asked him to do something when he was trying to get ready for work and hadn't had his coffee, plus he felt like he was already doing several things I'd asked him to do before (on other days), and he didn't feel appreciated. I asked what I could do to make him feel more appreciated, and he didn't really have an answer. He said that I could try to time complaints differently, but I don't know how I can anticipate which requests he'll see as complaints, and I don't feel comfortable with just not being able to ask him anything in the morning.

Is he in the habit of agreeing to do things for you that he really doesn't want to do? If so, that could be part of his frustration. Does he understand he needs to stop doing that?

Which leads me to the next question: can he safely say NO to any of your requests?

Other than him taking anger management (which he is going to do), does anyone have suggestions for how to handle situations like this? What we came up with is that if he can't express himself respectfully, he remains silent until he's calmed down. He said that he can't always tell whether he's being respectful, so we agreed that I could say "what you just said bothered me. I can't talk to you until you find a way to say it differently."

That is great that he is going to take anger management, but you also need to know what you are saying that frustrates him so much. Just brushing it under the rug as "innocuous" is not a solution.

Will he come here and post to us so we can help him?

Exposure 101

M
M
None of that happened in objective reality.I told him it's fine to tell me I did something that upset him, as long as he sticks to the facts and doesn't put words in my mouth. He acknowledged that none of it happened but he just felt like it did, and said that next time he will try to think of a respectful way to tell me that he's upset.

It is a disrespectful judgement for him to tell you how you feel. But it is also disrespectful of you to tell him he must "stick to the facts" and define his "objective reality." It comes across as though you are lecturing him.

He was very upset by what you said to him and that is being ignored by you. While he must address his angry outbursts, you have to address your delivery. You can't say it is "innocuous" when it clearly is not.

Does he feel lectured by you? I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here? We could encourage him in seeking anger management and get a better understanding of his frustrations.

Exposure 101

L
L
Here's how our toxic interactions tend to go down: I make an innocuous request. I don't use SDs, DJs, or AOs (he would confirm this; I've asked him). He FEELS like I love busted him and has an emotional reaction (he doesn't SAY that I love busted him- I find that out later, usually in an email).

When we are upset, rational thoughts go out of the window.

does anyone have suggestions for how to handle situations like this?

My (usually very calm) husband gets upset when I talk to him from another room. His hearing is not great and he does not like to be reminded of that. But he does not say that he cannot hear, he just gets emotional. I am usually very careful not do this but sometimes I am not aware that he has left the room, maybe I am putting something away and have my back to him. It's an LB on my part even though it is completely unintentional.

Rather than trying to explain what happened at the time, I follow him into the room and repeat what I said in a normal voice. Later, at a neutral moment, I might ask him if we can talk about an issue that I have. I might explain that I had my back to the door and did not see him leave. We would then troubleshoot how to prevent this happening in future.

The important thing is never to attempt a rational discussion with somebody that is feeling emotional. It just escalates the issue and solves nothing.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
If it was truly "innocuous" he wouldn't get so upset. You need to learn to discuss things in a way that does not upset him. I see you arguing with him over whether or not it was "innocuous" and that misses the point. It doesn't matter how you MEANT it, it matters how it affects him. So you are barking up the wrong tree here. Stop insisting it was "innocuous" when it is obvious he is upset and focus on communicating in ways that don't upset him.

I meant that it was innocuous from my POV. I get that it doesn't work to tell him that I didn't mean to offend, because he just thinks I'm disregarding his feelings. I do also focus on communicating in ways that don't upset him (by asking him how I can do that), but he says that it doesn't matter what I say, the meaning is the same to him. Also, what is the appropriate response when he tells me that I thought something that I didn't think?

What happens when he says NO to your requests? Can he safely say NO? Or does he face another exhausting lecture from you where he can't withdraw? Is he conditioned to be punished if he says no?

He can safely say no, and I tell him that all the time, but he has a really hard time saying no, not just to me, but to anyone.

You do argue ALOT and I can see that reading back through this thread. You argue and then argue about arguing. I can see how that trait drives him nuts.

I feel like what I do mostly is defend myself, but I can understand your perspective.

When you see him getting frustrated, you should back off. Have you been using the "Enemies of good conversation" guidelines?

Yes, I agree.

Is he in the habit of agreeing to do things for you that he really doesn't want to do? If so, that could be part of his frustration. Does he understand he needs to stop doing that?

I think so. I keep finding out that his "enthusiastic agreement" wasn't really enthusiastic after the fact. We've talked about him needing to stop doing that, but I think it's a habit. I think he just really doesn't like saying no to people.

Which leads me to the next question: can he safely say NO to any of your requests?

Definitely, and I've told him that many times. He can say no to any and all of them and I will find an alternative solution to my problem with no hard feelings.

That is great that he is going to take anger management, but you also need to know what you are saying that frustrates him so much. Just brushing it under the rug as "innocuous" is not a solution.

I totally agree! I didn't want to brush it under the rug. I kept asking him what was frustrating him. He said it was that I complained to him at the wrong time. But I don't know what to do with that, especially since I can't tell what kinds of things he hears as complaints. I also can't tell what time is the wrong time for him until he tells me. I asked if, when he hears something as a complaint at the wrong time, he could just tell me respectfully that it bothered him. He said he didn't know if he could.

Will he come here and post to us so we can help him?

I don't know. I don't think so, but I'll ask him. I do know he wants to write to Dr. Harley again.

M
M
[
I don't know. I don't think so, but I'll ask him. I do know he wants to write to Dr. Harley again.

I would really like it if he would come here and start his own thread under his own alias. It would help us understand how he perceives the problem. Markos and Prisca can help him too.

Writing Dr Harley again would be helpful too. Listening to the radio show will help us help him.

Will you go ask him?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
It is a disrespectful judgement for him to tell you how you feel. But it is also disrespectful of you to tell him he must "stick to the facts" and define his "objective reality." It comes across as though you are lecturing him.

He was very upset by what you said to him and that is being ignored by you. While he must address his angry outbursts, you have to address your delivery. You can't say it is "innocuous" when it clearly is not.

Does he feel lectured by you? I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here? We could encourage him in seeking anger management and get a better understanding of his frustrations.

Yes, what I said was disrespectful. I don't usually say things like that, but it was in the context of telling him what I required (that he stop DJing me) if he wanted to come back home. I don't think he normally feels lectured by me. And I definitely want him to tell me how I can change my delivery so it won't bother him.

L
L
I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here?

I'm here. Should we discuss this here, or should I start my own thread?

P
P
Hi Leo!
It is usually recommended that each spouse has his or her own thread.

M
M
Originally Posted by Leo183
I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here?

I'm here. Should we discuss this here, or should I start my own thread?

Hello Leo! Thanks for signing up. Can you please start a new thread and stay on that thread? We would like to hear your perspective of the problem and what we can do to help you.

Exposure 101

L
L

S
OP Offline
S
I think we know what to work on for now (thanks, everyone!), but we're a little unclear where to begin re finding an anger management program. Are there any resources on this site or elsewhere for finding a good program? Or should he just start by looking into galvanic response meters? Is there a specific one that Dr. Harley recommends?

Last edited by smallpeace; 10/04/16 09:30 AM.
B
B
I think we know what to work on for now (thanks, everyone!), but we're a little unclear where to begin re finding an anger management program. Are there any resources on this site or elsewhere for finding a good program? Or should he just start by looking into galvanic response meters? Is there a specific one that Dr. Harley recommends?
Have you researched anger management programs in your area?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
OP Offline
S
Not exhaustively, but yes. My husband was in anger management therapy a couple years ago but wasn't taught calming techniques. Is there a specific type of therapy (like cognitive, behavioral, etc.) we should be searching for? Is there a name for it?

M
M
The type of AM he needs focuses on relaxation techniques and the realization that he is responsible for his angry outbursts.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Last week we both thought we had a breakthrough, and things had been going really well. No AOs or DJs, no arguing, good UA time. Yesterday we went out on a date and had a nice time (at least from my perspective). After we went to pick up our daughter from a friend who was watching her, my husband got into a funk. He didn't like that I had spent time talking to the friend, and felt like he had been solely responsible for wrangling our daughter and getting her ready to leave. I said I was sorry and asked what he would like next time, and he told me, and I thought it was fine. But then he said he just thought it "wasn't worth it". I asked what he meant, and he said that it wasn't worth going out on dates if they had to be interrupted to pick up our daughter and put her to bed. He felt like the evening had lost momentum.

I asked what would make him feel better, and he said maybe he'd feel better after some time had passed. I asked him how he wanted to spend the rest of the evening, and he said he didn't care. I asked him what would we be fun for him, that he'd enthusiastically agree to. He said he enthusiastically agreed to me picking what to do.

So I picked a board game, and we played it, but he still seemed to be in a bad mood, and it was hard to have a conversation. He kept complaining about his bad luck in the game. I made a play in the game to help him out, and he didn't thank me, and then made a sarcastic comment about how "magnanimous" I was being.

I felt like we should just call it quits for the night, and I went to bed. I tried to hug him but he didn't really hug me back. He stayed up for a long time drinking, and I found out this morning he posted on his thread here.

Just a few days ago, he wrote me a really nice text telling me how much he loved me. Yesterday or the day before, he asked me how I was feeling about the relationship and I said I was feeling good, and asked him how he felt. He said good, and that he loved me.

This is definitely a pattern. One day everything is good or even great, then suddenly the next day he's in a funk and says he wants out. He didn't say what he wrote on his thread to me in person last night, but I've heard it before many times. I feel like there is no stability. He can't seem to sustain being a loving husband for longer than a week or two.

S
OP Offline
S
Oh, he also said that he was upset because when he complained about wrangling our daughter away from her friend and putting her to bed, I didn't sympathize with him. So I said, "oh I'm sorry, I know that can be hard to deal with". But that didn't seem to make him any happier. This does tend to happen though- I tend to be more focussed on fixing the problem so it doesn't happen again than sympathizing, and he wants more sympathy.

M
M
It sounds to me like he has been trying really hard to meet you needs so you would meet his need for sexual fulfillment at the end of your date. Did that happen?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
It didn't happen last night, because he was moody and I didn't feel connected to him. He didn't initiate anything anyway, though. It did happen after our last date, last weekend. I think he's more upset that I generally don't feel like having sex after we've just been tired and hanging out on the couch watching TV, and that we need to have a date with a good conversation first. He feels like we didn't need to do that to have sex earlier in our relationship.

Last edited by smallpeace; 10/15/16 03:46 PM.
B
B
UA time is to meet the 4 intimate ENs.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Do you drink? Are you an alcoholic?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
OP Offline
S
We only had UA time once in the past week. It was an extraordinarily busy week with our daughter being out of school and extra work demands.

We both drink. I don't consider myself an alcoholic. I drink wine with dinner and while socializing. The people we socialize with all drink about the same amount. I think my husband might be borderline alcoholic because he stays up drinking by himself, but he says that's because of his depression about our relationship.

M
M
We only had UA time once in the past week. It was an extraordinarily busy week with our daughter being out of school and extra work demands.

If you want to change your marriage, you need to get 20-25 hours of UA time. ONE DATE will never get you anywhere, except frustrated and wondering why the "program doesn't work." It will NEVER WORK if you won't schedule much more UA time.

My H and I sit down every Sunday afternoon and schedule our dates using this form: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/forms/FiveSteps_Time_for_Undivided_Attention_Worksheet.pdf

Exposure 101

M
M
Cutting corners on UA time is dangerous because it will cause your H to be MORE discouraged when nothing changes. He will soon stop trying when he concludes the program "doesn't work." It does not work when you cut corners!

Exposure 101

P
P
Your husband is not serious about eliminating his disrespectful judgements or angry outbursts. You have been told many, many times to separate and you need to. He won't get serious until you do.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
A
1. You should stop drinking, it sounds like it is becoming a problem.

2. Listen to Prisca and Melody.

M
M
No response to my posts.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Sorry, ML. We realize that we didn't have enough UA time last week.

S
OP Offline
S
I'm back. Leo had agreed to commit to eliminating angry outbursts and disrespectful judgements, and follow the MB program. We decided to give it another 3 months and then reevaluate things from there. We'd gone about 3 weeks without disrespectful judgements, while spending 15 hours together consistently. I thought things were going a lot better. We had sex (his top EN) on Friday.

We had a busy weekend, and today his personality suddenly seemed to shift again. First he got upset because he was trying to tell me something while I was distracted and he thought I wasn't listening, but we talked about it and I thought resolved it. Then our daughter asked for a piece of fruit and he said to me in an annoyed tone, "can you get her a piece of fruit?". I'd just sat down, so I asked him, "why me?". He got up to get it, but made a sarcastic comment. Then he asked our daughter if she'd eaten lunch, and she said no, and he said, "you should have given her lunch".

I was upset about the way he was talking to me, and left the room for a few minutes, then came back and told him that I was upset. He said he was upset too, because I hadn't given her lunch. I said we could talk about that, but that it really bothered me when he said "you should". He basically spent the next 2 hours arguing with me that he would not stop saying "you should" if he had a strong conviction about something, even though he understood that it made me feel bad.

Now I'm feeling really discouraged again. I feel like he won't commit fully to stopping doing things that make me feel bad. I don't understand why it's so hard for him to simply rephrase his thoughts in order to be inoffensive. He kept saying that if I'd just give our daughter lunch in the future, there wouldn't be a problem because he'd have no need to say "you should". He said he thinks it's important for me to know when he has a strong conviction about something, even if it hurts me.

Just to explain a little further, he'd left for the afternoon right around lunch time, so that's why he felt like it was my responsibility to give our daughter lunch. I was home with her for about half an hour between him leaving and her leaving to go to a friend's house, so I agree that I was responsible for giving her lunch, and I felt bad that I neglected to. It just bothered me that he said "you should". Also, this wasn't something that had happened before. He was acting like it was a huge deal- he said that he could stop saying "you should" about certain things, but not about things involving our daughter's welfare. Also, he feels like I'm generally not responsible or involved enough with her. That's been a problem pretty much her whole life. (The incident with her being late for school that I posted about earlier is an example.) It's something I have been working on since FC is one of his top ENs.

I feel like I can't keep living like this. Am I overreacting? DJ's are the number one problem in our relationship from my perspective, so I'm really sensitive to them.

How could we have handled this better?

P
P
Now I'm feeling really discouraged again. I feel like he won't commit fully to stopping doing things that make me feel bad. I don't understand why it's so hard for him to simply rephrase his thoughts in order to be inoffensive. He kept saying that if I'd just give our daughter lunch in the future, there wouldn't be a problem because he'd have no need to say "you should". He said he thinks it's important for me to know when he has a strong conviction about something, even if it hurts me.
In essence, "Do it my way, or I will punish you."
This is a demand. And a DJ.

You feel like he won't commit fully because he HASN'T committed fully. He reserves the right to punish you when you don't do things the way he wants you to.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
What should I do? I tried explaining why I felt hurt and disrespected, and he argued with me. I told him I can't keep living like this, and he said it would be sad if I ended the marriage over our kid's lunch. He said that insisting on him stopping saying "you should have" shows contempt for him and his values.

P
P
I told him I can't keep living like this, and he said it would be sad if I ended the marriage over our kid's lunch.
More demands and disrespect.

He said that insisting on him stopping saying "you should have" shows contempt for him and his values.
He believes it is okay to punish you when you do not do things the way he wants you to do them. You should have nothing but contempt for that "value."

What should I do? I tried explaining why I felt hurt and disrespected, and he argued with me.
You should separate until he is willing to follow the program, under Dr. Harley's guidance.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
I feel like if I ask for a separation, he'll get really mad and will be even less interested in following the program. He'll probably just want to divorce. Is there any way of appealing to him without separating? Our daughter loves him and would be devastated. I'd also have to work more hours, which would be hard on her.

P
P
I feel like if I ask for a separation, he'll get really mad and will be even less interested in following the program.
First, you don't ask for a separation. You just do it.

Second, the only thing a separation will do is speed up whatever was going to happen anyway. If he divorces you because you separate, he was just going to divorce you anyway.

Either he will finally get on board and change, or you will be free of his thoughtlessness and emotional abuse. Either way, you win.

Our daughter loves him and would be devastated. I'd also have to work more hours, which would be hard on her.
He's not separating from your daughter, just you. She will still see him.

It is better for your daughter for you to stand up for yourself and expect your husband to treat you the way a husband ought to treat a wife. By staying, you are not only raising her in a home full of strife, but you are teaching her that it is okay for a man to treat his wife the way your husband treats you. Do you want your daughter to live like this when she finds someone and marries him? She's learning from you what is "normal."

Stand up for yourself. For her sake, if not for yours.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
How do I just do it? Tell him not to come home? Weird as this sounds, I don't want to be disrespectful about it.

P
P
Pack his stuff and change the locks. Let him know he will need to find another place to live, and give him a visitation schedule to see his daughter. A typical visitation schedule is one evening a week plus every other weekend.

File for legal separation if your state allows for that. If your state doesn't have that option, you may need to file for divorce to get legal protection, even if you do not intend to go through with the divorce.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
Can I tell him I'd like him to leave by a certain date? Why do you advise doing it right away?

P
P
Can I tell him I'd like him to leave by a certain date?
Why?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
OP Offline
S
Many reasons. A few of them are that I'd like him to figure out other living arrangements, I'd like us to figure out how to afford it, and I have commitments coming up that I'd like to be done with before I have to worry about childcare etc. We live thousands of miles away from family.

M
M
Can I tell him I'd like him to leave by a certain date? Why do you advise doing it right away?

Because he is not going to cooperate with you. If he were cooperative, you wouldn't be having this problem.

P
P
A few of them are that I'd like him to figure out other living arrangements
He can figure that out.

I'd like us to figure out how to afford it,
He can figure that out.

Don't make this harder on yourself by trying to negotiate with a man who has proven he's not going to take care of you.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
I'd like us to figure out how to afford it

But there is no "us" in a separation, right?

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Prisca and Markos. I really appreciate your insight. He finally said he would try to stop hurting me. He said he's having trouble understanding some of the concepts. I think that's a big part of the problem. For example, he asked me earlier why my telling him to stop saying "should" wasn't a disrespectful judgement (because he saw it as me imposing my views on him).

I asked him to start listening to the radio show. I've asked him to do that before and it's never happened; it's a little tricky because he doesn't have a smartphone and is opposed to them, but I think he could find time in his schedule if he made it a priority.

Last edited by smallpeace; 01/24/17 12:20 PM.
M
M
Thanks Prisca and Markos. I really appreciate your insight. He finally said he would try to stop hurting me. He said he's having trouble understanding some of the concepts. I think that's a big part of the problem. For example, he asked me earlier why my telling him to stop saying "should" wasn't a disrespectful judgement (because he saw it as me imposing my views on him).

I asked him to start listening to the radio show. I've asked him to do that before and it's never happened; it's a little tricky because he doesn't have a smartphone and is opposed to them, but I think he could find time in his schedule if he made it a priority.

Regardless of what he is saying, you need to be making your separation plans. Don't worry about helping him to understand; if he is motivated to understand he will get that help himself. In the meantime, you need to get your separation plans ready so that you can protect yourself in case he never gets motivated.

Do you have your separation plans ready, smallpeace?

P
P
For example, he asked me earlier why my telling him to stop saying "should" wasn't a disrespectful judgement (because he saw it as me imposing my views on him).
That's a good question for him to write to Dr. Harley on the radio show. Will he?

It's not your job to educate him.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Is this your husband's question? Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
OP Offline
S
BH, yes, that was his question. He said that Dr. Harley's response made sense, and that he was better able to understand why DJs should be avoided, and he made a commitment to stop them. They have been reduced but not completely eliminated yet.

I have 2 new questions about how to best handle specific types of situations that we dealt with this past weekend.

First, we were engaging in SF during our UA time, and I respectfully complained about the way he was touching me. He got really upset, and the evening was ruined. What would be the appropriate thing for me to do in such situations?

Second, our daughter was at a friend's house and needed to be picked up. Both of us were busy and running behind schedule, so neither of us wanted to do it, and I was trying to POJA. He tried to guilt me into to doing it even though I didn't want to, and then said that he would just do it (reluctantly). I told him I didn't want him to, but he said somebody had to step in and do it since she needed to be picked up soon, and he had other things to do in the meantime so he didn't have time for negotiation. In other words, the POJA was not followed. Dropping everything to negotiate would have made him resentful too, because it really bothers him when he can't complete the plans he has scheduled for himself. Basically, the only way he wouldn't have been resentful is if I had done it, which would have made me resentful. What is the best way to handle conflicts when something has to be done quickly?

S
OP Offline
S
I forgot that I had another question. When we're working with the 5 steps forms to eliminate love busters, do we show all of them to each other, or just the inventories?

N
N
Small I'm so confused. Neither of you are enthusiastic to pick up your daughter? Are you sure?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
S
OP Offline
S
We were both enthusiastic for her to come home, but neither of us felt like going to pick her up right then because we were both busy and running behind. I realize it was bad planning, and maybe the answer is just to plan/communicate better. But I can imagine other situations arising where something has to be done very quickly, neither of us feels like doing it, and we don't have time to negotiate.

N
N
When I think of 100 things or so I do a week what I am most enthusiastic about is picking up my daughter!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
N
N
The other stuff if it's making you too busy and you don't want to do it then don't do it but picking up your daughter is like a safety thing not a POJA thing right?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
N
N
did he say about that he is resentful of picking up your daughter? I think lots of things would make somebody resentful but picking up your kid?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
S
OP Offline
S
We were both really stressed out. I don't think we considered picking up our daughter to be a safety issue; it was more like we didn't want to inconvenience her friend's parents by being late to pick her up.

He wasn't resentful about picking up our daughter. He was resentful that I didn't pick her up, because he had to drop something else he'd planned on doing in order to pick her up. I also would have had to drop something I'd planned on doing in order to pick her up. We'd had no discussion or agreement about who would pick her up. I think I'm starting to see now that this and other situations like this could be avoided if we consistently discussed our schedules with each other ahead of time!

H
H
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
did he say about that he is resentful of picking up your daughter? I think lots of things would make somebody resentful but picking up your kid?

This continued line of questioning isn't really helpful.

No. Neither one of them was enthusiastic about picking up their daughter.

Rather than muck about in the mud about why they are not enthusiastic about it, solutions should be sought.

If these visits to a friend's house are disruptive; can she arrange for transportation from the friend's parents? Can visits be done at another time?

Alternatively; when your children are visiting with friends, it is a great time to get in some UA time, and you can arrange for pick up when you are on the return trip home.

While children are certainly very important - their parents having a healthy marriage is the BEST thing we can do for them.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
We were both really stressed out. I don't think we considered picking up our daughter to be a safety issue; it was more like we didn't want to inconvenience her friend's parents by being late to pick her up.

He wasn't resentful about picking up our daughter. He was resentful that I didn't pick her up, because he had to drop something else he'd planned on doing in order to pick her up. I also would have had to drop something I'd planned on doing in order to pick her up. We'd had no discussion or agreement about who would pick her up. I think I'm starting to see now that this and other situations like this could be avoided if we consistently discussed our schedules with each other ahead of time!

Or, if you didn't have separate plans frequently!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
If these visits to a friend's house are disruptive; can she arrange for transportation from the friend's parents? Can visits be done at another time?

Alternatively; when your children are visiting with friends, it is a great time to get in some UA time, and you can arrange for pick up when you are on the return trip home.

While children are certainly very important - their parents having a healthy marriage is the BEST thing we can do for them.

This was kind of a spontaneous trip to her friend's house. Normally trips to her friends' houses aren't a problem; my question was more what to do when there's some kind of immediate deadline so a decision needs to be made quickly.

S
OP Offline
S

Or, if you didn't have separate plans frequently!

This was during a time outside of our 15 hours of UA.

P
P
This was kind of a spontaneous trip to her friend's house. Normally trips to her friends' houses aren't a problem; my question was more what to do when there's some kind of immediate deadline so a decision needs to be made quickly.
Very few deadlines (the type where a decision has to be made NOW or there are dire consequences) actually exist.

The deadline here was that your daughter needed to be picked up. What would have been the consequences if you had been late to pick her up? In the worst case scenario, depending on how late you were to show up, the lateness would have irritated the friend's parents and she may never be invited back to her friends house. But, that is a consequence that could be lived with. It wouldn't be the end of the world. It wasn't a life or death situation. If that consequence were something you or your husband felt was very important for you to avoid, more than what you are currently doing, then one of you would be more than willing to drop what you are doing and go get your daughter. You and your husband could, in reality, take some time out and negotiate a win-win for both of you.

Often times we put an urgency on a "deadline" that doesn't really need to be there. Your marriage is more important than the deadline.

But if you operate from the viewpoint that you want something, and you can demand that your spouse do it for you, then the situation of who picks up your daughter becomes more clouded. You want him to do it because you're busy, and he wants you to do it because he's busy. You both value wanting your daughter home, and you value avoiding the negative consequence of irritating the other parents, but you expect your spouse to pick up the slack to do what you value instead of having to do it yourself. If you can demand that your spouse do something for you that you value, then what's the point of negotiating? They'll just do it for you, AND you are able to just keep on doing whatever you are busy with.

The real problem in your marriage, smallpeace, is your husband's disrespectful judgements and anger. If those are not eliminated, then there really is no hope in ever being able to negotiate a situation like this.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
B
Has your H eliminated AOs and DJs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

K
K

One of the things my wife and I do is when one of the kids asks if they can go to a friend's house, she or I will say "let me talk to your mom/dad first." The kiddo can wait a few minutes while you discuss with your husband. This will give you chance to see if he's okay with it. You can also then discuss pick up arrangements by seeing what his schedule looks like and what your schedule looks like. If it's going to be an inconvenience, then you can always tell your child that you need to talk to the other parent to see if they can bring your child home as you are unsure if you two will have time to pick them up.

This is really an issue of both of you feeling like what you needed to do was more important than what the other person needed/had planned to do. Try and get in the habit of keeping each other informed of what your schedules are. "Hon, tomorrow I need to go grocery shopping, pick up the dry cleaning, and go pick out a new lamp for the living room. What do you have planned? Do any of those activities conflict with what you have going on? If not, what would be the best time for me to take care of those items?" You might even suggest consolidating activities to get a little time in together.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

S
OP Offline
S
A frequent source of conflict for us is household chores. He tends to hear requests for help, and even expressions of appreciation, as judgements of him, no matter how hard I try to be respectful.

For example, today he spontaneously started sweeping the floor, which made me happy, so I said, "Thanks for sweeping the floor! It's nice when someone else besides me notices that it's dirty". I said this out of genuine appreciation, but he referred to it later as a "dig" at him, and asked that I stop saying things like that because (to him) what I'm really saying is that he doesn't help enough. I explained to him that I didn't mean it that way, but that made no difference to him, and he said he still needs me to agree to stop saying things "like that". Now he won't talk to me about it anymore until I agree to "what he needs from me." But I don't even understand what he's asking me to stop doing- I don't know what the "like that" is that I'm supposed to stop. On top of that, I'm really upset that he thought I was criticising him, and that nothing I can say to him changes that impression. I don't feel understood. All I was doing was thanking him!

How can I get him to talk to me about it so we can reach a solution we're both happy with?

L
L
A frequent source of conflict for us is household chores. He tends to hear requests for help, and even expressions of appreciation, as judgements of him, no matter how hard I try to be respectful.

For example, today he spontaneously started sweeping the floor, which made me happy, so I said, "Thanks for sweeping the floor! It's nice when someone else besides me notices that it's dirty". I said this out of genuine appreciation, but he referred to it later as a "dig" at him, and asked that I stop saying things like that because (to him) what I'm really saying is that he doesn't help enough.

I explained to him that I didn't mean it that way, but that made no difference to him, and he said he still needs me to agree to stop saying things "like that".

He is perfectly entitled to ask you to stop saying that. He does not like it.

Now he won't talk to me about it anymore until I agree to "what he needs from me." But I don't even understand what he's asking me to stop doing- I don't know what the "like that" is that I'm supposed to stop.

If we can understand, you should be able to. He is saying that "Thanks for sweeping the floor! It's nice when someone else besides me notices that it's dirty" bothers him. He feels this is a dig. Perhaps it was just the second sentence, who knows. It does not matter whether you meant it that way or not. You are not permitted to educate him. If he does not like something, you respectfully thank him for bringing this to your attention and immediately change the subject.

On top of that, I'm really upset that he thought I was criticising him, and that nothing I can say to him changes that impression. I don't feel understood. All I was doing was thanking him!

How can I get him to talk to me about it so we can reach a solution we're both happy with?

Complaints are always uncomfortable things. Nobody wants to hear them. But unless he can complain safely, he will shut down. This is not a POJA situation. You need to learn how to respectfully accept a complaint.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by living_well
He is perfectly entitled to ask you to stop saying that. He does not like it.

I agree that he's entitled to ask me to stop doing/saying things that he doesn't like. My problem is that I was unclear about what exactly he was asking me to do, and I wanted to make sure I understood what I was agreeing to stop doing. I didn't know what he meant by "things like that".

Now he won't talk to me about it anymore until I agree to "what he needs from me." But I don't even understand what he's asking me to stop doing- I don't know what the "like that" is that I'm supposed to stop.

If we can understand, you should be able to. He is saying that "Thanks for sweeping the floor! It's nice when someone else besides me notices that it's dirty" bothers him. He feels this is a dig. Perhaps it was just the second sentence, who knows. It does not matter whether you meant it that way or not. You are not permitted to educate him.

I understand that what I said bothered him. I meant that I don't understand "things like that" means. I don't think he simply meant that he wanted me to stop saying that exact phrase.

Also, is "you were making a dig at me" respectful? Isn't that a judgement?

If he does not like something, you respectfully thank him for bringing this to your attention and immediately change the subject.

But if you're unclear on what bothered him, don't you need to discuss it? Otherwise it's likely that you'll mistakenly keep doing it. I don't mean I'm unclear on WHY it bothered him. That's fine. I mean I'm unclear on what exactly I DID that bothered him.

On top of that, I'm really upset that he thought I was criticising him, and that nothing I can say to him changes that impression. I don't feel understood. All I was doing was thanking him!

Complaints are always uncomfortable things. Nobody wants to hear them. But unless he can complain safely, he will shut down. This is not a POJA situation. You need to learn how to respectfully accept a complaint.

I know they're uncomfortable, and I don't think I responded disrespectfully to the complaint. I said I would try to stop saying things like that, but was afraid I wouldn't succeed because I didn't understand what he meant by "things like that," and that it would help me if he could try to avoid reacting if I messed up, and instead just point it out to me if something I say is an example of "things like that." He got upset about everything I said after the word "but" and didn't really listen to me.

Also, is the intent behind something that is said completely irrelevant? If he said something that bothered me, I'd want to understand why he said it, especially if I was misinterpreting what was said. To me, it shows a lack of goodwill to assume that someone is attacking you. And like all humans, I have a need to feel understood.

S
OP Offline
S
This is how the conversation went:

Him: You were making a jab at me when you thanked me for sweeping and then said it's nice when someone else notices it needs sweeping.

Me: I didn't mean it that way. I was trying to express genuine appreciation.

Him: Will you stop saying things like that?

Me: I can try, but...

Him: Will you stop saying things like that? I just need you to tell me you'll stop saying things like that.

Me: I can try, but I don't understand what you mean by "things like that". It would help me if you'd...

Him: Are you refusing to give me what I need? Because if that's the case, this conversation is over.

Are you saying I should have just said from the beginning, "thank you for bringing that to my attention"?

L
L
Men have a hard time verbalizing feelings. But feeling that it is safe to tell your spouse when something bothers you is incredibly important. When he complains you thank him for telling you. No need to understand. The moment the word 'but' comes into your response, you have gone wrong.

Later you might ask him what upset him. You would chose a neutral moment and say that there is something bothering you. Then you could ask him about it. You may need to be super patient about this because he may not even know.

Also and quite separately you need to POJA the household chores. Dr Harley has all kind of suggestions of how to divide those. Just be very careful to not mix this conversation in any way with his complaint. POJA needs to be fun and fruitful.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
What about his DJ, though?

Again, I'm not saying that my problem was that I didn't understand WHY it bothered him. It was that I didn't understand WHAT specific part of what I said bothered him, and unless he was just asking me to stop saying that exact phrase, which he wasn't, I need to have that information in order to know what to stop saying.

Also, why do you feel that it wasn't safe for him to tell me that something bothered him? I was respectful. And he didn't tell me that something bothered him; he made a DJ.

S
OP Offline
S
The information I was trying to get was, for instance, "it bothers me when you tack something on to the end of a "thank you". Even though I didn't intend it to be a "jab", I could still work with something concrete like that.

But I still need to know how to deal with the DJ. Should I have asked him to rephrase the complaint? He later said he didn't even think about it being a formal complaint, which was why he didn't use the rules we've established for making complaints since we have a problem with DJs (using email and saying it bothers me when...).

L
L
What about his DJ, though?

I did not see a DJ in what your husband said. I saw a complaint.

Again, I'm not saying that my problem was that I didn't understand WHY it bothered him. It was that I didn't understand WHAT specific part of what I said bothered him, and unless he was just asking me to stop saying that exact phrase, which he wasn't, I need to have that information in order to know what to stop saying.

Yes I understand that. But you just stop. You thank him for bring it to your attention If you are not sure whether you understand, you ask him to be sure to tell you if you slip up and it ever happens again.

Also, why do you feel that it wasn't safe for him to tell me that something bothered him? I was respectful. And he didn't tell me that something bothered him; he made a DJ.

Suppose your DH starts ogling other women in the street. You tell him that this bothers you. How would you feel if, instead of thanking you for bringing this to his attention, he asked you to explain exactly what bothered you about it. Would you shut down? I know that I would be ready to throw up.

When it comes to feelings, we do not need to explain ourselves, they just are.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
You don't see a DJ in the statement "you were making a jab at me?" He was making an assumption about my intention, and a not very charitable one. It hurt me that he would see me that way instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't being sarcastic; I felt genuine, heartfelt appreciation that someone besides me noticed that the floor was dirty.

Ogling women in the street is obvious. There's really no alternative explanation for it. Is the statement "it's nice when someone besides me notices dirt on the floor", said without sarcasm, obviously a "jab" to you?

O
O
Smallpeace, I'm jumping in here and only giving my opinion of the last few posts.

I have done what you did. I didn't even realize that my words could be translated as insults. Lately, I'm trying to notice that and to stop while my words are good. 'Thank you, honey, for cooking dinner.' FULL STOP. Nothing about how hard I worked all day or how easy dinner was to make or anything else except, 'It smells great!'

As to your question, Yes. What you said was easily interpreted to be a disrespectful judgment against him for all those times he didn't sweep because he didn't notice the dirty floor before you. That would feel like a 'jab at' the person on the receiving end, at least in my experience.

As to your other question, possibly. The way he stated his complaint could be seen as a DJ. And, we can't tell you how to feel any more than we can tell your husband not to feel upset. Just don't get so lost in the upset over 'jab' that you fail to hear his complaint and address it. When you've done that, calmly discuss how his 'jab' statement made you feel he was making a disrespectful judgment of you.

ME:50 HIM:53
MARRIED: 13 YRS, DATED 4 MONTHS PRIOR
HIS 2 KIDS: 30 & 25
OUR CHILD: 9
MOVING OUT & FILING FOR SEPARATION ??/??/??
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, OTF. That's helpful. Actually, my husband asked me to do just that- make sure his issue has been fully addressed before moving on to mine. That's something I could try to do.

It's just that it really offends me when he says I'm "doing things" to him that I'm not doing. If a person says something that could be taken in multiple ways, wouldn't it make sense for the other person to ASK if they meant it to be a jab? Wouldn't a reply like, "Sorry! I understand how you could have taken it that way, but I didn't mean it like that. I meant it as an expression of appreciation" be helpful?

I would want to know if I were taking something in a way other than it was intended. It would help me be understand the other person better, and be more empathetic, and less reactive in the future. Of course this would only work if your spouse didn't have a problem with openness and honesty. If the other person then said, "even though I believe you meant well, that statement still bothered me", then fine, stop saying the thing. But at least you'd feel better because you knew the other person believed you meant well. They'd be pointing the finger at themselves, not you.

S
OP Offline
S
My question was addressed on the radio show today (I just listened), and Joyce & Dr. Harley said that yes, my husband should have asked me whether what I said was meant as a jab. I'll share that with my husband; he'll probably be receptive.

Last edited by smallpeace; 10/16/17 03:02 PM.
O
O
I can tell from being there that this is a really, really hard one. It's VERY HARD to not sound disrespectful or sarcastic or some other less than polite when you feel insulted and are checking their intent.

It's like asking my husband to completely understand that everything is not FINE if I say it's FINE when he asks. We are all humans. We react. THEN, we think. It takes time, practice and patience from all parties while we learn to think BEFORE we speak and react.

And, it can go the other way, too! I take so long deciding how I want to word things sometimes that hubby thinks I've ignored him. We have to work our way back. You and your hubby can, if motivated and considering of the others' feelings, work your way back to quality communication as well.

ME:50 HIM:53
MARRIED: 13 YRS, DATED 4 MONTHS PRIOR
HIS 2 KIDS: 30 & 25
OUR CHILD: 9
MOVING OUT & FILING FOR SEPARATION ??/??/??
S
OP Offline
S
You don't tend to feel insulted when there is mutual goodwill. Maybe my husband isn't there yet. But that's hard for me take because I thought things had been getting better.

L
L
You don't see a DJ in the statement "you were making a jab at me?" He was making an assumption about my intention, and a not very charitable one.

No I do not see a DJ there. I see that his complaint that was not followed by a 'thank you for letting me know'. Beware of the 'but'.

Ogling women in the street is obvious. There's really no alternative explanation for it.

I used an extreme example to make the point simple. He might have said but I was looking to see what people were wearing to get ideas for your birthday. Had he said that you would have been understandably very upset.

Is the statement "it's nice when someone besides me notices dirt on the floor", said without sarcasm, obviously a "jab" to you?

Again, yes I would find that a jab.

3 adult children
(formerly lied_to_again)
S
OP Offline
S
Living Well, Dr. Harley doesn't agree with you. He answered my question on the radio show yesterday.

My point about ogling was that it's not analogous to what I'm talking about. Most anyone would be offended by ogling. Not everyone would interpret what I said as a jab. Joyce Harley didn't. Dr. Harley saw how it could be interpreted that way, but said he wouldn't think Joyce had intended it like that if she'd said something similar. People don't tend to feel offended/insulted by things said to them when there is mutual goodwill, and that's what's bothering me here.

B
B
Here is your radio clip. Radio Clip of smallpeace�s question

How are things going?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 870 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation