Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
guess that I took for granted that I live in a place where abuse is taken seriously enough to not require people to either put themselves in harm's way trying to get their shoes, purse, medicine, whatever, or to stand out in the cold after leaving a situation before it escalates further.

No, I am not mistaken.

Abuse would necessitate an arrest. What was being discussed here would NOT fall under the legal definition of abuse.

Honestly, you are either making this up...or are just woefully uninformed.

This is NOT a job for the police.

P
P
Charlotte and PM, what would you do if your H was beating you up and yelling at you?

He'd get one swing.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
MEDC, what if I call the police and say the magic chick words "I DON'T FEEL SAFE." Do the police come running?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
He'd get one swing.

WHAT would you do after that one swing?

Last edited by MelodyLane; 09/05/08 04:14 PM.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Charlotte and PM, what would you do if your H was beating you up and yelling at you?

See this is hard for me to answer because it wouldn't get past the point of yelling with me. I'd walk away. There would be no escalation.

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
L
L
I agree. Could also be that this "yelling" was sugarcoated by Cherished and it was actually a lot more than that.
Which is typical in cases of abuse.

Competent police officers are aware of that as are the dispatchers who take the calls and assess where to place it on the list for dispatching an officer.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
MEDC, what if I call the police and say the magic chick words "I DON'T FEEL SAFE." Do the police come running?

It all depends on their answer to the "why" question.
Some people don't feel safe if they see a mouse or a little snake...

doesn't make it the job of the police.

The job of the police is to enforce the law, prevent crime and assist those in cases of emergencies.

Calling the police because of shoes is tantamount to calling the rescue squad for a headache. It is a waste of resources.

P
P
WHAT would you do after that one swing?

See my answer above. Seriously, he wouldn't get a swing because I would never STAND there and take it... the yelling getting out of control and escalating to violence.

If you want to take it further and say if it came out of nowhere and he just swung, I can't fathom that either because that's not the kind of guy I married. KWIM? But I'd probably try and defend myself and run as soon as possible.

M
M
But I'd probably try and defend myself and run as soon as possible.

How would you defend yourself? That is a novel idea. Can you tell me more?

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by LovingBoundaries
I agree. Could also be that this "yelling" was sugarcoated by Cherished and it was actually a lot more than that.

Competent police officers are aware of that as are the dispatchers who take the calls and assess where to place it on the list for dispatching an officer.

Yes, it is typical for abuse cases...but NOT for radio calls. People EXAGERATE the reasons for the calls to get an officer out there.

Women are NOTORIOUS for saying they were hit when they were not. In as many cases as not, a woman would strike her husband and then call the police herself "claiming" abuse. It was always a hoot to see their faces when you locked them up...either for domestic assault or for a false statement to police.

D
D

Assuming he could even get a "first blow" in, which is remote since I have quick reflexes, he'd have to sucker punch me from behind.

Well, if that happened it would be a beeline to the phone for me and jail for him.

I dated a guy who turned out to be an abuser. "Adios," said I. So he kidnapped my dog. (Or dognapped, whatever.) I called his mom and got my dog back. He bothered me for a while until he found his next victim.

My Mom tried to help a lady that lived in our complex when I was a little kid. Her husband beat the crap out of her on a regular basis. She wouldn't leave. He pushed her down a flight of stairs, too, at one point. I don't know what happened to that poor woman, we moved out of town not long after. I'll have to ask my Mom sometime.

I use to work with a lady who would come to work beat up or miss work because her husband beat her up. It could be as simple as: The family did not eat out of serving dishes. He insisted they do it even if he wasn't there. He wouldn't allow eating out of pots on the stove.

A lot of us at work tried to help her, offered her a place to hide, offered to get her help elsewhere...she wouldn't do it. She was positive he would find her wherever she went.

And sad is this: Her son witnessed this his whole life. He would try to protect his mom when he was little. Well, he got married to a girl that also worked with us. Guess what happened? Yep. He's a beater, too. The girl divorced him not long after that. Not before they had a child, though so now she still has to be around the ex and hope that their child doesn't carry on the tradition.

As for the lady, she's still in the same place. She's still living, if you can call it living. At least for now.

Charlotte

P
P
The job of the police is to enforce the law, prevent a crime and assist those in cases of emergencies.

MEDC, so if a woman calls and says she doesn't feel safe because her husband is yelling, she's in the yard and wants to go back in to get her shoes... they'd probably tell her to forget the shoes and to get out of Dodge?

But if that same woman called and was IN the house... they would probably respond to prevent a possible crime?

D
D
Oh yeah, and the police here showed up as fast as lightning last October when Gray stormed over to our house and scared the crap out of me the day after I exposed to OWH. I was at my g'ma's, he lured me over to the house, he waited in the parking lot, after I saw the damage I zipped back over to g'ma's and called the police post-haste!

I didn't know what he might do or if he might storm over to g'ma's so I called them. They kept an eye on g'ma's as well as my house in case he showed up again.

No complaints about the PD here at all!!

Charlotte

P
P
But I'd probably try and defend myself and run as soon as possible.

How would you defend yourself? That is a novel idea. Can you tell me more?

Okay... but I feel like the proverbial lamb being led to slaughter with breadcrumbs... skeptical

Hmmm let's see, I would probably pick up the nearest heavy object and sling it into the most sensitive area and run like heck. grin

L
L
Neither.

But deep down I suspect that you already know that.

Take a look at what you said.....

It is highly possible that someone said that to you, medc....and now you're saying it to me.....under different circumstances but similar feelings?

Take care

D
D

He'd get one swing.

LOL! That was almost the start of my answer but the one swing would have to be a sucker punch, otherwise the swing would just swish through the air.

Charlotte

D
D

Yep!

M
M
The job of the police is to enforce the law, prevent a crime and assist those in cases of emergencies.

MEDC, so if a woman calls and says she doesn't feel safe because her husband is yelling, she's in the yard and wants to go back in to get her shoes... they'd probably tell her to forget the shoes and to get out of Dodge?

But if that same woman called and was IN the house... they would probably respond to prevent a possible crime?

Yes.

See, if the person can call the police, they can also call their Aunt Sally to come get her for a few hours. See, the woman that is not in the house with her husband may not FEEL safe...but she is not in any immediate danger as she is already out of the house. The police can't make him leave...so, what's the best option? She's already out...borrow a pair of Nike's from your neighbor and go grab a cup of coffee.

911 is for emergencies.

M
M
Okay... but I feel like the proverbial lamb being led to slaughter with breadcrumbs... skeptical

Hmmm let's see, I would probably pick up the nearest heavy object and sling it into the most sensitive area and run like heck. grin

I would never slaughter my good friend PrincessMeggy! smile But I agree with you. I would pick up something and DEFEND myself. I believe that is the natural reaction of most women. In fact, I have had a man try to beat me up. It was not pretty.

Exposure 101

M
M
Neither.

But deep down I suspect that you already know that.

Take a look at what you said.....

It is highly possible that someone said that to you, medc....and now you're saying it to me.....under different circumstances but similar feelings?

Take care

well, let's examine this. I was a cop...I dealt with this stuff all the time. Your experience is what?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation