Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 48 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 47 48
M
M
Stick with the solicitor the AVO will be controlled by the police next time you complain.You will lose control. You need to know the ramifications of what will be set in train before you take that step.

C
C
I agree with Mel; you should state that any visitation hand-offs will take place at your parents'.

And who gives a flip if his family is mad at you?! Why do you care? They don't live with you, do they? Then they don't matter!

Believe me, you can survive a marriage without the extended family. And if they treat you or IM poorly, cut them off, too!

Have your lawyer file the AVO. Let everything be handled through him from now on. Hon, this is the ONLY way he will ever respect you. Don't you see that?

M
M
AGree with cat, your inlaws are TOXIC!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
Hello 2M2L, I have dipped into your thread but from what I've read I can see how tough this is for you. I feel so sorry for you but hold strong. It's not easy because when you see him his powerful personality is forcing his point of view on you.

I am in Plan B too and geographical circumstances have meant that I don't see WH at all. That distance has allowed me to see things much more clearly: the hard facts without having them blurred by his foggy thinking, my own boundaries with no fudging. It's not easy for you especially with small children depending on you too. Please try to believe in yourself and your instincts. If, instinctively you don't like situations he's putting you in then listen to that. I'm have very little advice to give as I feel so lost in my own life but I see that you are getting lots of good advice from others. This post struck me:
I just want to clarify - I want to try to save my marriage. I have an almost 2 year old and an almost 4 year old and I want them to know I tried to make it work with daddy. I don't want to have regrets and there really is a lot of me that thinks this can work and he can become a better H.

and I wanted to say that if a D is inevitable (and I'm not for a second saying that it is in your case) then IMO it's best if that happens when the children are as young as possible. I can see very clearly that my 4 year old will cope much better if we end up there than my almost 11 year old would.
I'm not saying what you should do, I just mean that, IMO, it is in the best interests of your children for you to reconstruct this M in the best of all possible conditions or else walk away from it. Only you can make that decision but don't put them through the he// of a bad M.

My 2p worth - lots of hugs

Tully

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
OP Offline
I see the solicitor tomorrow afternoon.

So do you all agree that I should get an AVO?

I am really worried about it!

Do you think it will harm my chances of reconciliation?

I agree about the inlaws. My WH hadn't spoken with his mother in the last 6 months so I'm surprised she's backing him now!

BS 32 (1st marriage), WH 38 (2nd marriage), DD 3, DS 1
Married Aug 2002, EA/PA 2005, NC mid 2005
EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Plan B, 2 Dec 08, broken 5, 11, 15 & 17 Dec 08
Current Status: Contact for visitation, children and finances.
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
B
B
Originally Posted by 2much2lose
Hey BK - I you sure that my threatening to get one it isn't good enough? I really feel this could work against me and his family hate me now! I really think this could be bad. I so want to work on my marriage, not against it.

2much - you are proposing following the path of least resistance and I guarantee the results of your planned actions WILL result in divorce, not reconcilliation with a whole lot of extra needless misery thrown in along the way.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
C
C
Do you think it will harm my chances of reconciliation?
Nearly every BS says this same thing. And do you know what happens, when they don't become just as strong and mean as the WS? They get walked all over! The WS takes that gift and runs with it!

Especially with your controlling husband; the ONLY way to reconcile is to prove to him that if he wants his family back, he will treat you with respect because you deserve it. Only YOU have to respect yourself FIRST. Get the AVO. You can have IM tell him that HIS actions made it necessary by him breaking into your house. You will not tolerate such disrespect. Put the blame where it belongs - he caused it with the affair, with the rudeness, with the breaking in.

OP Offline
How will an intervention order help things?

Won't that justify that I have lost the plot and are mean and vindictive and give him more ammunition to hate me?

EA Jun 2008, Plan A, 1 Aug 2008, WH moved out 14 Sep 08, D-Day 14 Sep 08, Moved home 2 Nov 08, moved out 30 Nov 08
Embarking on a new plan to Let go and Let God and to not settle for less than I deserve!
B
B
I think you HAVE lost the plot and are living in a fantasy land where appeasement gets the job done.

Catperson did a good job of explaining how the AVO will help and others have posted similar to you for the last week.

Appeasement will NOT WORK

You are enabling his abuse.

Dear God - the man broke into your house and rode roughshod over you all weekend. This will continue until you make sure it can't.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M

Won't that justify that I have lost the plot and are mean and vindictive and give him more ammunition to hate me?

He will hate you and call you "mean and vindictive" if you go into plan B. You are going to be hated anyway for not minding him. But the goal here is not to APPEASE a tyrannical wayward, but to REMOVE YOURSELF FROM HIS ABUSE.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C

I have a question for you. For how many years have you allowed HIM to tell YOU who and what you are? Because that is what you are saying here. YOU know why you need to be away from him. He doesn't get it yet because he isn't used to being told no. Obviously, based on his family's reaction!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANYTHING. All you have to do is protect yourself from him.

HE KNOWS what it takes for you to let him back. He refuses to do it. Fine. He's throwing away his family just because he won't say Uncle. How stupid is that?

Honestly, I really want you to read that book Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men because more and more of what you say shows that he is at the least controlling, and maybe even abusive. You see, abuse victims don't know they're abused, because the abuser takes away her being, one criticism at a time, one sideways look that says you ticked me off, one standoff at a time that you give in to, unitl all you know is giving in to him so he won't get upset. Believe me, I know!

What that means is that, if he is one of these people, he is NOT going to suddenly see the light and want to be nice to you. So you have to protect yourself; he sure won't do it.

Husband or not, father or not, the way he is treating you is the worst possible thing for your kids to live through. They will grow up being just like him, or just like you - miserable either way. The ONLY way you can stop that is to stand up to him and let him know you're serious.

Restraining order; let the law do it for you.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by catperson
I have a question for you. For how many years have you allowed HIM to tell YOU who and what you are? Because that is what you are saying here. YOU know why you need to be away from him. He doesn't get it yet because he isn't used to being told no. Obviously, based on his family's reaction!
I guess it's always been in the background. I have gotten used to compliance rather than conflict, but we had a good marriage for the majority of the time. I really did spend about 97% of the time feeling loved, lucky and special. If things were tough, he would withdraw first.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY ANYTHING. All you have to do is protect yourself from him.

HE KNOWS what it takes for you to let him back. He refuses to do it. Fine. He's throwing away his family just because he won't say Uncle. How stupid is that?
I do agree with this. He is having a tantrum and acting like a spoilt 3 year old when you threaten to take the toy away before dinner. I just wish he'd see it that way. I just feel like an AVO will send him the message that I am trying to control him further, and that's what he hates about me.

Honestly, I really want you to read that book Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men because more and more of what you say shows that he is at the least controlling, and maybe even abusive. You see, abuse victims don't know they're abused, because the abuser takes away her being, one criticism at a time, one sideways look that says you ticked me off, one standoff at a time that you give in to, unitl all you know is giving in to him so he won't get upset. Believe me, I know!
My library doesn't have it but I am still searching. Everything is really expensive and I'm not getting money from him and with Christmas and the economic climate, times are tough.

What that means is that, if he is one of these people, he is NOT going to suddenly see the light and want to be nice to you. So you have to protect yourself; he sure won't do it.
He definatley doesn't know how to play nice. His mother taught him some horrible life lessons and all three brothers have the same foundation in life. Scream as loud as possible until people listen to you, and if they don't, scream louder and complain until they do.; At almost 70, she is still a protester for animals, street zones etc.

Husband or not, father or not, the way he is treating you is the worst possible thing for your kids to live through. They will grow up being just like him, or just like you - miserable either way. The ONLY way you can stop that is to stand up to him and let him know you're serious.
I don't want the kids to grow up with WH. My H was really a much better person, but I have not been the best person lately either.

Restraining order; let the law do it for you.
This still freaks me out. I will talk to the solicitor tomorrow.

OP Offline
This is going to sound ridiculous but I need to vent.

He asked me to his work Christmas party tonight and to his band rehearsal on Thursday, my birthday, and then coffee and cake together.

It was all during our R talk but I still hurt so much that this is not happening. I was much stronger last week when I was happy arranging my own weekend and own birthday and now I crave his contact. I hope he misses me at his party tonight, if he still goes.

I miss him so much. I can see why it would be so easy to take them back on breadcrumbs when we deserve the whole loaf. I loved having him at homw over the weekend and it feels so natural and nice to share a laugh and play with the kids. I just wish that it wasn't jaded by everything else.

Vent over. I need to pull myself together!

C
C
Can you order from amazon.com? They sell tons of used books for very little money. You really need it right now, to give you the moral strength to protect yourself.

If you start feeling weak, like giving in, just keep asking yourself what your marriage would look like in 5 years, if you give in? You will NEVER have a voice in the marriage. You know it's true. He'll be scr&wing every female he sees and wants, because he'll know you'll never leave him. Probably in your own house.

B
B
I do agree with this. He is having a tantrum and acting like a spoilt 3 year old when you threaten to take the toy away before dinner. I just wish he'd see it that way. I just feel like an AVO will send him the message that I am trying to control him further, and that's what he hates about me.

Actually it sends the message you will not be controlled by him.

This will get far worse not better if you won't take control of your life.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
OP Offline
So, WH sent me a message directly:-

"I am meeting with a legal aid lawyer tomorrow to hopefully sort out the money issues and work out a family court proposal for you. I'm sorry but because of Xmas I couldn't get in today. I hope you understand that I must protect myself and my children and I am not trying to stall you or skimp on them."

So, I forwarded it to my IM. I already have an appointment with legal aid and I thought that meant he had to go elsewhere - we couldn't both use the free service.

Anyway, it was rather polite but totally unacceptable if he wanted to work on R. Why would he need the safety net of family court orders???

He is calling so I'm ignoring it. I haven't resent the pbl yet.

He left a voice mail saying he hopes I'm not starting up the bull-s-t again by not answering the phone and playing the games. If it's not what I'm doing he apologises. He wants to talk about finances.

Advice please...

CP - I found an ebook of Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men for $16 and am purchasing it now!

B
B
Beautiful weather we're having right now doncha think?

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
OP Offline
Oh, I get it loud and clear BK - I hate that my first reaction is to panic!!!

Actually, it was meant to be 26 degrees so I sent the kids to daycare in summer gear, but it's been cold and raining for the last couple of hours!

Love your work!!!

M
M
Stop trying to figure out what he's thinking! I know its hard but you must. You are in Plan B remember??? It's about not dealing with his cr*p! You obviously need a new IM.

If this continues you can kiss any chance of Recovery goodbye
Please take the advice you're being given!

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
The best is yet to come, with or without your WS
B
B
It's 28° here (78°F for our american friends)

Gonna be a hot summer.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
Page 27 of 48 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 47 48

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 315 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation