Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
L
L
Pep:

Its so interesting to see the turns of this thread, and to see the turns that your earlier thread had.

So much around here has changed.

LG

P
P
Originally Posted by lousygolfer
Pep:

Its so interesting to see the turns of this thread, and to see the turns that your earlier thread had.

LG

Yeah, I agree.

Having an open philosophical discussion of ideas and core values only deepens the pleasures of marriage.

It is so much easier for people to skim over life's ups and downs without assessing the deeper value.

Some people only discuss "what happened" and never get to "what does it mean".

I think it is a difference beteween reaching only for the low hanging fruit vs the fruit at the top.

B
B
Originally Posted by lousygolfer

How so LG?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Originally Posted by ouchthathurt
This should blow you away. Comments?

There are over 33,000 men inventors.

Women number in the dozens

I had a hard time with the second link but I don't find the numbers you mentioned disproportionate either. If were are talking inventors from 40, 50, 100 years ago, women were traditionally in the home and usually did not go on to college either. Girls were raised to be wives and mothers.

And personally if my H gave that sort of answer to me about helping out without being asked, we'd have a problem.

Last edited by black_raven; 04/21/09 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
V
V
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Having an open philosophical discussion of ideas and core values only deepens the pleasures of marriage.

It is so much easier for people to skim over life's ups and downs without assessing the deeper value.

Some people only discuss "what happened" and never get to "what does it mean".

I think it is a difference beteween reaching only for the low hanging fruit vs the fruit at the top.
This is intriguing.

What do you mean by it?

Not having been around for the first related thread, I don't know how the conversation turned.

I'm also curious like black raven, as to how things have changed LG?

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

V
V
This should blow you away. Comments?

There are over 33,000 men inventors.

Women number in the dozens
When I read that, I was a little perturbed just because, in history, women weren't ALLOWED to do anything. We were considered the weaker/inferior sex. Plus, at one point, women had to use a man's name to get books published, patents, all sorts of things. So, those numbers are definitely disproportionate.

ouchthathurts, perhaps I need to go back and reread all of this, but I wondered, what exactly, was the point in posting that piece of information?

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
O
OP Offline
O
Then there should be a massive jump in women inventors say in the last 50 years. Guess what.......There isn't. Look This is not a dig against women. It is a difference that should be celebrated. My wife accomplishes more before 8:00 in the morning then I do all day. Another point. Why do you think men are such good inventors. Because in truth. We are lazy. That's right from the beginning of time men have constantly looked for ways to get out of hard work. Women (as a rule) are not lazy. Therefore their minds do not constantly seek to find a way to get out of work.

V
V
Then there should be a massive jump in women inventors say in the last 50 years. Guess what.......There isn't. Look This is not a dig against women. It is a difference that should be celebrated. My wife accomplishes more before 8:00 in the morning then I do all day. Another point. Why do you think men are such good inventors. Because in truth. We are lazy. That's right from the beginning of time men have constantly looked for ways to get out of hard work. Women (as a rule) are not lazy. Therefore their minds do not constantly seek to find a way to get out of work.

rotflmao

Thanks for the answer. I see what you're saying.

Sometimes I wonder how many men have stolen women's ideas, run with them, and gotten all the credit. :crosseyedcrazy:

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
M
M
Originally Posted by Verve
When I read that, I was a little perturbed just because, in history, women weren't ALLOWED to do anything. We were considered the weaker/inferior sex.

huh? Who "allowed" men? Do women need special permission and not men? I was thinking women were EQUAL? crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B

Well those weren't my thoughts at all. My H is not lazy nor do I think most men are. But I agree that woman can multi-task better.

Women have made great strides in other areas that are still male dominated. I don't know if I'd put much stock in one area alone. There are so many new career paths with the technology we have today. Heck I'm always trying to find a better way to do things and reduce the work...not out of laziness but because I want effeciency to do more enjoyable things with my time.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

V
V
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
huh? Who "allowed" men? Do women need special permission and not men? I was thinking women were EQUAL? crazy
They are now, but, it's only been in the past hundred years or so that it's been that way. Before that, women were basically the possession of their father or their husband and completely constrained by society.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
M
M
They are now, but, it's only been in the past hundred years or so that it's been that way. Before that, women were basically the possession of their father or their husband and completely constrained by society.

That sounds like very weak blameshifting to me and I believe most women are a tad bit smarter and more accountable than that. If women did not achieve because they believed they needed "permission" from Big Poppa Daddy, then whose fault is that?

I don't appreciate seeing women denigrated as nothing more than hapless little fools who can't do anything without some man's permission. that is not the behavior of an adult woman, but a child. A weakness in character. Men did not sit around and wait for "permission" and look what they accomplished?

Please lets not blame our weaknesses on men, that is not the behavior of an EQUAL.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
We were considered the weaker/inferior sex.

I think the practice of blameshifting reflects weakness. Women who blame others for their failures are weak, IMO.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
All right. You want proof. Go and measure the indent in the cushions of the couch in front of the television and see who's a$$ fits it.

V
V

That sounds like very weak blameshifting to me and I believe most women are a tad bit smarter and more accountable than that. If women did not achieve because they believed they needed "permission" from Big Poppa Daddy, then whose fault is that?

I don't appreciate seeing women denigrated as nothing more than hapless little fools who can't do anything without permission. that is not the behavior of an adult woman, but a child. Men did not sit around and wait for "permission" and look what they got accomplished?

Please lets not blame our weaknesses on men, that is not the behavior of an EQUAL.

WHAT are you talking about? I'm not sure where you got that anyone was blameshifting anything. I'm completely baffled. And, of course, women are smarter than that, but that was the way that their society was in that time. There is no blaming there, because that's just how it was. It's still somewhat the same way in other societies now.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
B
B
Mel you and I disagree on this. :MrEEk:

Once upon a time and not even so long ago, women could not attend certain schools, could not vote, and if they defied their father or H that was reason enough to beat the tar out of them. In some countries this still exists today.

If we go waaaaaaaay back, women could be exiled and even killed for daring to speak much less wanting to educate themselves.

I don't 100% blame men for that but that's the way society treated women in the past.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

V
V

I think the practice of blameshifting reflects weakness. Women who blame others for their failures are weak, IMO.

I have no idea what you are reading into my words, but it's completely out of left field. Apparently, I cannot give actual, historical facts without being accused of blameshifting. It's a little ridiculous.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
B
B
All right. You want proof. Go and measure the indent in the cushions of the couch in front of the television and see who's a$$ fits it.

Huh? I know my H's butt prints are indented in the couch more than mine but I don't think he's lazy. He works hard during the week and wants to relax in his free time. I want the same too.

sigh I don't know how we ended up here. crazy stickout rotflmao

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

M
M

I have no idea what you are reading into my words, but it's completely out of left field. Apparently, I cannot give actual, historical facts without being accused of blameshifting. It's a little ridiculous.

What I am talking about is the blameshifting of MEN for the lack of female accomplishments, ie: they were "little more than mens possessions." MrRollieEyes C'mon. Women are not that WEAK.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Yes women are much better at multitasking. But men are much better at focusing on a single goal. And doing what ever it takes to accomplish it.

You need another example don't you. OK. When you are watching TV with your husband what are you thinking about? And what are you doing? I can tell you what men are thinking of......Nothing.
Women are up doing 10 different things at once. Unless your husband is different then any man I know (including myself). He will be more then happy to let you work during commercials while he sits. Does he jump up and help you until you stop working? I doubt it.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation