Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
I actually feel in a better situation than if I was married. I've been married where my husband cheated on me and I felt stuck because I had kids with him and a house.

I'm sure that was a bad experience, but are you seeing now that infidelity and betrayal is not the result of being married?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by Jamela
I never cheated with him while he was married. We were friends (platonic friends) before he got married and before I got married, 24 years ago. We were attracted to each other at that time but life took us on different paths. We got together only 8 years ago when we were both free! No, we did not sin. People don't seem to understand a relationship that is outside of marriage. An unmarried couple can be just as committed to each other as a married couple. As I said before, I was married and "marital committment" did not stop him from having affairs.

Thank you : )

Many of us have been in relationships outside of marriage - please be careful with your generalities. And no. An unmarried couple, by definition, is not committed, so they can't, by definition, be as committed and two people who made the committment to get married.

You were married before, true. But he obviously wasn't committed to the M and had an A. And of course you weren't either because you had your own affair.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
What's going to change after they talk to the counselor and the smoke clears away...he'll probably cheat again..right?

To answer that question, you need to read the following:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3000_intro.html (Ten Basic Concepts: click each link in the list on the left hand side and read each page.)

FREE.

If you want it in book form you can pay for it, but you can have it free for the cost of the time it'll take you to read it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I understand your point about the interview but once again, the person that seems to be the best candidate for the interview still does not guarantee job well done.

last question! out of curiosity, are you ladies professional advisors or just members?

We are men. We are women. Some of us had an affair. Some of us have been betrayed by a spouse who had an affair. We are ALL survivors.

Would you prefer to pay someone with a degree to counsel you in an area they haven't experienced? Perhaps you should consider a counsellor near you. There are plenty of them out there, and they all need to eat.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
I get it now! I looked at other posts where husbands cheated on there wives with more than one woman and your advise to the married lady is to 'bust up the affair' talk to our counselors and make your marriage work! So the cheater is OK if he's married. I didn't see you telling the married lady to run! What's going to change after they talk to the counselor and the smoke clears away...he'll probably cheat again..right? so why not tell her to RUN also..does it have something to do with this site making $$$ off of married couples???

Jamela, again, look at the name of this website. MARRIAGE BUILDERS. Of COURSE we're going to support a spouse who wants to save their M! But again, if you really took the time to read the material here, not every marriage is salvageable, and we don't recommend recovering every marriage at all costs.

does it have something to do with this site making $$$ off of married couples???

You haven't been here long enough to see what we're about, so I'm going to let this one go. But I will tell you that I've been posting here for about 15 months, and haven't paid a penny for the privilege.

D-Day 2-10-2009

V
V
out of curiosity, are you ladies professional advisors or just members?

Read the manual: here that is the disclaimer at the top:

The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Counseling Center at the top of this page.

Many people here have valuable experience and knowledge, however, that qualifies them to give advice on dealing with marriages and infidelity.

Now to your issues:

Dating is not supposed to take the place of the commitment of marriage. You cannot twist dating into something it is not. You are merely dating your S.O. Dating is an interview to see if a candidate is right for marriage. We advise you to run because this man is not a good candidate for marriage or a long term, committed relationship in any way. When married people deal with infidelity the advice is different, because they've made a commitment you have not.

I wrote this to another person a while back but I think it explains what I'm trying to say clearly:

Whether you like it or not we live in a society that values marriage. Social Institutions exist for a reason: they work! The institution of dating, by nature, is temporary. It's a method for getting to know whether someone is worthy as a potential mate. It's structure is not meant to be permanent and it shouldn't be. You should be able to walk away easily if it isn't working out - with few losses except maybe a bruised heart. Once a level of commitment is established you say to those around you - I am willing to marry this person, and you get engaged. However, all you have to do is say the word and the engagement is ended. It's a little more difficult but lives have not yet been entwined - you can walk away. And then there is marriage. It isn't just a commitment between two people. It is a commitment between them and the society around them. They are saying to society that they will be bonded together, raise children together, be 'off' the market and society is saying in turn - we will support your union. Just because there are unhappy marriages doesn't make the institution broken - it makes it human.

What you are with your S.O. is MILES away from a marriage. You don't get the support and benefits from the community (in particular this community) to repair your relationship because it is not a marriage. Our infidelity advice WONT WORK! for you.

Also about unconditional love. Here's what the author of the Marriage Builder program has to say about unconditional love:

So let me explain to you what unconditional love in marriage is, and then we'll see whether or not it makes any sense to promise such a thing at a wedding. Let's begin by taking the phrase apart, looking at each word critically.

"Unconditional" means that there are no prerequisites or contingencies to the promise. The promise of love is to be made regardless of all circumstances, including what the other person chooses to do. There should be no confusion regarding its meaning.

"Love," however, is a different matter, and I've seen many different ways to define it. I define love as applied to marriage in two ways: (1) romantic love which is the feeling of incredible attraction to someone and (2) caring love which is meeting someone's needs. When you're in love, you feel something, and when you care, you do something.

I have specifically eliminated a third definition of love that is widely expressed: Wishing someone the best in life. When someone says "I love everyone," that's usually what they mean. And that kind of love can reasonably be given unconditionally. Personally, I want everyone to be happy, and no one to suffer regardless of what they've done to me or others. If that's what's meant by unconditional love at a wedding, I have no problem with it.

But in that context, the wedding vow could be offered to the audience as well as the bride and groom. Using this meaning of love at a wedding, doesn't make much sense because it doesn't offer a unique promise.

My definitions of love makes the spouse very unique, but the promise itself very conditional. If I promise to be incredibly attracted to Joyce, and to meet her emotional needs for the rest of our lives together, it doesn't make sense if there are no conditions attached.

Romantic love, my first definition of love, is created when someone makes massive Love Bank deposits by meeting important emotional needs. When an account is high enough to breach the romantic love threshold, a feeling of incredible attraction is reached. If those deposits continue, and withdrawals don't threaten to reduce the balance significantly, romantic love is experienced indefinitely. I've been in love with Joyce for the entire 46 years that we've been married because she's kept her account in the stratosphere.

If I had promised to be in love with Joyce unconditionally, I would have failed to understand how romantic love is created and destroyed. It's not what I do that causes me to be in love with Joyce--it's what she does. So I can only promise to be in love with her if she meets my important emotional needs, and avoids hurting me. I have nothing to do with it, except to give her an opportunity to make those deposits.

My second definition of love, caring love, makes unconditional love seem possible. Technically, I could try to meet my wife's emotional needs without condition. But could I do it indefinitely, and would it be a good idea?

Let's take a few examples. Suppose a wife were to have an affair, divorce her husband, and marry her lover. Should her ex-husband continue supporting her financially if they had no children together? Should he provide the same support that he would if they were married? Should he be there to help her through life's struggles? Some who believe in unconditional love feel that he should.

Or, suppose a husband sexually molested their children and ended up in prison. Should his wife continue to meet his emotional needs during conjugal visits? Some who believe in unconditional love think that she should.

What if a husband were to beat his wife senseless in a fit of drunken rage? Should she continue to meet his emotional needs? I once counseled a couple where the husband tried to kill his wife three times. After his last effort he buried her in a shallow grave because he thought she was dead. But she managed to recover, dig herself free, and crawl for help. Should she give him another chance? Should she meet his emotional needs for the rest of his life? The elders of her church thought she should because they believed in unconditional love. After I encouraged her to divorce her husband, they never referred anyone to me again.

So if there's no religious reason to give or receive unconditional love in marriage, we're left with practical reasons. And I know of none. If Joyce were to tell me that she loves me unconditionally, and were to mean by that that she'll meet my emotional needs regardless of how I treat her, I wouldn't be very motivated to treat her with utmost care. I could get away with anything, knowing that she'd be there to pick up the pieces. There are many that I counsel that expect to be cared for unconditionally after an affair, abuse, and even attempted murder. After all, it was promised at the time of their wedding.

My job as a marriage counselor is to encourage both spouses to meet each other's emotional needs, and avoid hurting each other. When they follow my advice, they fall in love and stay in love. But one spouse can't do the job alone. They must work together to build a successful marriage. Neither should promise unconditional love because a great marriage is a joint effort that requires many conditions.

Source: What's Wrong with Unconditional Love?

Unconditional love is a horrible foundation on which to build a relationship because it encourages abuse.

Your S.O. may have committed to date you exclusively, but he's shown he can't stick to that commitment. If he can't keep that small commitment there is no way he'll keep larger commitments. Recovery from affairs takes 2-5 years from a committed person. You really want to waste more of your life on this? When there are no children between you? When the commitments are easily broken?

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M
Sigh...not surprising that she got defensive and left when we wouldn't agree with her that her situation is fine and just as good as a marriage. From her first post I had a sinking feeling that this is where it would eventually lead.

And you know...we are all just so narrow-minded since we won't accept that a dating relationship is just the same as a marriage.

I'm really not sure what she wanted to hear from us.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
S
S
Maybe she is getting advice from "paid" professionals or maybe she googled "My boyfriend is cheating" instead.

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
L
L
I've been posting to this site for almost 12 years, and I also have never paid a penny.

You mention that your SO is in a custody battle because the ex is a drug addict (and it seems that she has lost custody of her children?).

Have you considered that he may simply be wanting you to help raise his children?

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
M
M
And you know...we are all just so narrow-minded since we won't accept that a dating relationship is just the same as a marriage.

Are you trying to tell me that I didn't have to shell out all that cash for my white gown and flowers??? Humph. grin

D-Day 2-10-2009

J
Jamela Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Last edited by Jamela; 06/10/10 02:24 PM.
V
V
I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way.

Expect failure, and guess what you're going to get?

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M
Hi Gack, I am more of a realist. I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way. When I entered this relationship, I just came out of a messy relationship and prior to that a divorced from my cheating husband of 12 years. 8 years ago I entered into this relationship with my current bf because I felt safe due to our long term friendship.. I wasn't looking to fall in love...I was just enjoying the companionship (traveling etc.) but of course my heart got in the way. I new of his past with women but I ignored it. I just thought that as he get older that he would get more settled..

Please don't suggest that those of us on here are NOT realists. We know people mess up. All the time.

Whether you like it or not we live in a society that values marriage. Social Institutions exist for a reason: they work! The institution of dating, by nature, is temporary. It's a method for getting to know whether someone is worthy as a potential mate. It's structure is not meant to be permanent and it shouldn't be. You should be able to walk away easily if it isn't working out - with few losses except maybe a bruised heart. Once a level of commitment is established you say to those around you - I am willing to marry this person, and you get engaged. However, all you have to do is say the word and the engagement is ended. It's a little more difficult but lives have not yet been entwined - you can walk away. And then there is marriage. It isn't just a commitment between two people. It is a commitment between them and the society around them. They are saying to society that they will be bonded together, raise children together, be 'off' the market and society is saying in turn - we will support your union. Just because there are unhappy marriages doesn't make the institution broken - it makes it human.
Vibrissa posted this to you. I think it bears repeating. Please read it.

D-Day 2-10-2009

J
Jamela Offline OP
OP Offline
J
**edit**

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 06/10/10 01:50 PM. Reason: TOS - personal attacks
S
S
wait??? I'm confused didn't you just tell us he has a 1 year old?? Surely you are mistaken that ALL of his kids are born out of wedlock?

Unless he was married for 30 min while conceiving that little baby?

B
B
The 1 year old was born out of wedlock,,,unless he was married to her all along and you are the other woman?!

M
M
Marital Bliss, If you don't know what you're talking about then maybe you should not comment at all. You sound like a very bitter person. Even more so than me...however, I want to clear up one thing. We were both previously MARRIED! All his kids were not born out of WEDLOCK! and none of my kids were born out of WEDLOCK! I hope god help you in your life because those who throw stones will surely get it right back and you won't even know or beleive its happening to you! I did not come on this site to be bashed. You are no better than my SO! pray for yourself.....

You are imagining any sort of bitterness except for the bitterness you yourself are clearly exhibiting.

Why are you so defensive?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
Marital Bliss, If you don't know what you're talking about then maybe you should not comment at all. You sound like a very bitter person. Even more so than me...however, I want to clear up one thing. We were both previously MARRIED! All his kids were not born out of WEDLOCK! and none of my kids were born out of WEDLOCK! I hope god help you in your life because those who throw stones will surely get it right back and you won't even know or beleive its happening to you! I did not come on this site to be bashed. You are no better than my SO! pray for yourself.....

Your SO had a child out of wedlock, fact? Fact.

I would be interested to hear what you think I'm talking about that I don't know about?

D-Day 2-10-2009

B
B
This man creates child after child with a handful of women.
He constantly cheats
He expects Jamala to be the babysitter and raise his spawn
He cheats on Jamala although you cannot call it cheating if not married.
He wont marry her.

What else is there to say but "if you continue being with a dirtbag even though you know what kind of person you are with, then what can you expect but heartache and trouble"

The whole problem, Jamala, is that YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO STICK WITH THIS DIRTBAG AND YOU EXPECT HIM TO ACT LIKE A LOVING MAN.

The best he can ever give you is an open relationship where he dates all the women he wants to and sleeps with various women. You can be the babysitter of all the kids he produces if you want to hang around him. Otherwise, he can find another women to do that job for him.

Does this man even work?

B
B
Jamala, what is the truth here? Are you the other woman? Is this man really married to a wife and you are the other woman he is dating and not living with? Come on...fess up.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 158 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation