Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
fellspointmom #2408358 07/21/10 07:20 PM
S
S
Sorry, I misquoted you. Here is what you said:

Originally Posted by fellspointmom
Originally Posted by StrongerThanB4
I never once told my daught that she had to like or dislike the OW.

I'm sorry, but you have instructed her to do just that, through your actions and responses. A much stronger guide to children than just words.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
fellspointmom #2408359 07/21/10 07:20 PM
M
M
Melody, letting children come to their own conclusions is not synonymous with the absences of moral guidance, nor does it contradict teaching them right from wrong.

fellspointmom, letting children come to their own conclusions is a failure of moral guidance if the parent does not give them the correct moral conclusion. Children do not have the maturity or judgment to "come to their own conclusions." Leaving them to conclude right from wrong on their own is child neglect. And of course, they may conclude otherwise when they get older, but leaving them to come to a conclusion on their own causes great moral confusion and leaves them deaf and blind in an immoral environment.

Saying that this is not synonomous with a neglect of moral guidance makes no sense to me so I am not sure what you are trying to convey with those conflicting statements.

There is nothing wrong with Stronger telling her child about her feelings about the OW. There is absolutely no reason to pretend to be friendly. Doing so is dysfunctional. Dr Harley is correct when he advises being honest about her feelings:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him. "

BTW, I say all this and mean it. But if you read my previous posts, you will see that to this day I refuse to actually meet the OW. That is a degree of acceptance that I refuse to cross yet, and a stamp of validation to the adulterous affair that I refuse to offer. This despite the fact that the kids Best Interest Attorney recommended I do meet OW. I don't feel that is hurting my kids yet to not be ready to go there.

I agree with you here. It is not in their best interest to see you befriend the OW because it would be an endorsment of adultery. Kids needs to see their parent take a stand against it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

fellspointmom #2408361 07/21/10 07:22 PM
M
M
Still, I happily listen to the stories DD and DS offer about OW, and no longer speak ill of her in their presence. That is all I am recommending, for the DDs sake.

That is not in your DD's best interest though, to be dishonest about your feelings. They need to hear your honest feelings; silence conveys endorsement.

Did you read Dr Harley's comments about this? HE is the professional, fellspointmom.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

fellspointmom #2408363 07/21/10 07:26 PM
M
M
Still, I happily listen to the stories DD and DS offer about OW, and no longer speak ill of her in their presence. That is all I am recommending, for the DDs sake.

This is in direct contradiction to Dr Harley's advice:

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley
* Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you.

* They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair.

* Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2408367 07/21/10 07:43 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
* Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
[/quote]

This is the quote that is relevant to the OP, who in her original post stated that she told her two-year-old that the OW was a BAD PERSON. That's a DJ, eh?

Melody, does Dr. H address step-family situations where the AP is involved in the COM lives? It seems to me that everything you are quoting is about exposure during Plan A. How about something relevant to after the divorce is final?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2408371 07/21/10 07:47 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by CWMI
[
This is the quote that is relevant to the OP, who in her original post stated that she told her two-year-old that the OW was a BAD PERSON. That's a DJ, eh?

She told the child she did not "LIKE" the OW, and that is accurate information that should be shared with the child. Dr Harley advises not to call names, etc, but the child should understand that the OW is a bad person who took her father away.

Melody, does Dr. H address step-family situations where the AP is involved in the COM lives? It seems to me that everything you are quoting is about exposure during Plan A. How about something relevant to after the divorce is final?

Of course it is not limited to Plan A. That makes no sense.

Exposure 101

CWMI #2408375 07/21/10 07:54 PM
M
M

Not that your question makes any sense [radical honesty only being valid in Plan A] but this comment was made to a BS whose husband married the OW. They have 3 little girls:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).

In other words, don't call her names but be honest about the affair and her corresponding feelings.

Exposure 101

CWMI #2408379 07/21/10 07:59 PM
M
M
I find it very troubling that this poster, StrongerthanB4, is treated like the bad guy on Marriage Builders for saying she doesn't like the OW, when in truth, she is the VICTIM. She was badgered in this thread to a point where she felt inclined to remove her post. That is ridiculous.

We need to keep this in perspective and remember that the bad guys are the ones who committed adultery and destroyed this child's family. The OP is not the bad guy for saying she doesn't "like" the OW.

Those of you who have criticized her for doing exactly what Dr Harley prescribes have twisted the knife in the back of someone who came here for help. That is a disgrace.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2408380 07/21/10 08:00 PM
C
C
Does Dr. H address situations where the AP is involved long-term in a step-family situation?

I can't imagine, "I hate her, she is bad," is healthy for anyone over the long haul. There has to be a better answer.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2408383 07/21/10 08:07 PM
M
M
Does Dr. H address situations where the AP is involved long-term in a step-family situation?

I can't imagine, "I hate her, she is bad," is healthy for anyone over the long haul. There has to be a better answer.

Again, you don't have a clear perspective. What is unhealty is adultery. Honesty is not unhealthy. It is not unhealthy to hate adultery; that is an expression of honesty. Dr Harley's approach to LIFE - that means all situations, not just some - is as he describes:

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2408385 07/21/10 08:08 PM
C
C
I find it very troubling that this poster, StrongerthanB4, is treated like the bad guy on Marriage Builders for saying she doesn't like the OW, when in truth, she is the VICTIM.

By your own admission, you did not read what she originally posted. I do not think she is a 'bad guy' here, but an aching soul. She said much more than that she didnt like the OW.

I don't like the OW, and I don't even know her.

Nobody has a problem with her not liking the skank.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2408387 07/21/10 08:11 PM
M
M
I find it very troubling that this poster, StrongerthanB4, is treated like the bad guy on Marriage Builders for saying she doesn't like the OW, when in truth, she is the VICTIM.

By your own admission, you did not read what she originally posted. I do not think she is a 'bad guy' here, but an aching soul. She said much more than that she didnt like the OW.

CWMI, your posts on this thread have been appalling and anything but supportive. I have not seen you consult any of the Marriage Builders material in your quotes, so I am not sure how you felt you were being helpful. What did you feel you had to contribute here?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2408390 07/21/10 08:15 PM
C
C
What did you feel you had to contribute here?

I felt I could contribute a mirror for Stronger to look in and see how her actions were seen by an outside party.

She's not building a marriage.

She's dealing with a finalized divorce and a very VERY young child. I'm a mom. It's a soft spot.

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2408391 07/21/10 08:15 PM
M
M
You were arguing with a three year old. YOU grow up. I know it's painful, but she is THREE. Not even three yet!

Hold your tongue around that child, please. There will be a time when she is older to discuss this with her. Now is not the time.

Here is your first post to her, CWMI. You actually chastised her for saying anything. That is in direct contradiction to Dr Harley's advice.

Exposure 101

CWMI #2408392 07/21/10 08:16 PM
M
M
What did you feel you had to contribute here?

I felt I could contribute a mirror for Stronger to look in and see how her actions were seen by an outside party.

And what does that have to do with Marriage Builders?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2408394 07/21/10 08:19 PM
C
C
EDIT

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 07/21/10 08:22 PM. Reason: TOS disrespectul, disruptive

(Oscar Wilde)
MelodyLane #2408395 07/21/10 08:22 PM
C
C
EDIT

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 07/21/10 08:24 PM. Reason: TOS disruptive

(Oscar Wilde)
CWMI #2408400 07/21/10 08:24 PM
M
M
Let's get back on track and stop with the disrespect! If you cannot be supportive to this OP and help her with Marriage Builders concepts, then refrain from posting. Posters should not be condemned here!

mbsurvivor11@gmail.com
CWMI #2408401 07/21/10 08:25 PM
B
B
CWMI Please contact me.

breezemb@gmail.com
Breezemb #2408408 07/21/10 08:44 PM
S
OP Offline
S
ok i want to clarify something here i have never at any point ever verbalized to my daughter that the OW is a bad person. I just stated that i didn't like her to my DD. I at no point in time stated that my DD could not like her. Yes me saying i don't like her could come across as such but as she had indicated by telling me that i had to like her... my DD does indeed like the OW and spending time with her. I never told her she wasn't allowed to or any such things. I do not talk ill about her father, OW, OW son, or even the son's father who also lives with them. Yes folks there is a ton more to this story than what i had asked.

I know i didn't handle the situtation correctly that was the exact reason i even posted her. That is why it was still bothering me almost a week later. I was trying to get some advice. And yes i go to IC and have since talked to him about what has happened. He pointed out... just as melody has.... that i do not want her to not talk about OW and what happens to keep an eye to make sure nothing bad happens to her. He does agree with the fact that my daughter needs to know the truth (age appropriate). He has also stated that i do not need to accept there relationship just to make things "easier" in the long run, BUT to not have any points of contention with them in her presence. I at no time discuss my full emotions on the situation with her present. The only things she has ever heard me say "ill" about her is that she is not her "nudder mommy" as she put it. And that i do not have to like her. Yes i was WRONG to tell her we don't talk about her and that was more of an emotional response than anything else. I was not expecting it and should have been better prepared.

Now do my XH and OW come to my mind on a daily basis. NO... not any more thank goodness. I have a happy and healthy life. The only time it plays a role is when i get triggered or when i find out my XH is 2 months behind on her health ins and it had been canceled. As an example. That is when i get frustrated that he still just doesn't get it. Again the theory that this OW takes space in mind on a daily basis is far from it. I can see how it may when i posted orginally but my wound was open up again and felt raw.

Now i didn't mean to cause all kinds of contention her just trying to find another avenue to learn how to do what is right by my daughter. I may not always do the right thing every single time but i am trying my darnedist.

Truth can stand on it's own two feet....A lie needs support....FRM
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation