Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 29 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 28 29
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by athena99
Mostly DVDs and DS games he leant my kids. I don't want to make things worse for OMW and I know it will also probably affect OM when these things return home. But it is not my call to dispose of something that isn't mine. It was BH's idea to return them because he doesn't want them around here anymore.

The best thing your H can do is take them outside and burn them. Those items are poison and should never enter the OMW's home. Returning them will just be a trigger for everyone. Trust me when I say the OMW doesn't want that tainted trash in her home.

Beware; the items may scream as their demonic taint is exorcised.

You want to extend an olive branch Athena? You take it out and burn it all.

THAT would be an act of commitment.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
OP Offline
A
[I knew they stopped SF and were having serious problems in their marriage. .

Well of course they had "serious problems in their marriage;" he was getting easy nookie at work. But I seriously doubt he stopped having sex at home. Did his wife tell you that?

I know I said I'd stop talking about OM and I will, but I did want to respond to this one.

He knew he was being an *ss at home. He told me she was depressed and cried all of the time. She got them in counselling and he lied there too. I knew all of the lying he was doing everywhere else.

He probably realized I wasn't going to leave my H and he owed his wife and family to stay and make it work too. He and I talked a lot about if we could ever be happy leaving everyone broken in our wake - would we ever get over it. We were too scared to make a decision either way. Getting caught made the decision for us.

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
C
C
@athena99 -

IMHO, you are a Renter. You keep Score. "If I get my needs met, I will meet your needs."

I crossed the line in the middle of the bed and put my arm around him because I knew it would mean a lot to him.

But you only were able to do this after he met your need of Initmate Conversation.

What ENs of BS have you met that didn't require your ENs being met first?

Last edited by clark_kent; 01/06/11 02:07 PM.
M
M
He probably realized I wasn't going to leave my H and he owed his wife and family to stay and make it work too. He and I talked a lot about if we could ever be happy leaving everyone broken in our wake - would we ever get over it. We were too scared to make a decision either way. Getting caught made the decision for us.

And in the distance, I hear violin music playing softly. puke

Athena, SNAP OUT OF IT! twoxfourYou're not a stupid woman! He 'owed' it to his family??? No, DUH! He's MARRIED! doh2

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
B
This is how you can tell it was an affair: If he was so unhappy in his marriage, why didn't he end the marriage, reflect and heal and then begin dating?

What you are saying, in effect, is that he would only leave if you left. You decided not to leave your marriage, so he went back to his wife.

Affairs are back-ups and miserable ways to deal with one's own issues. Again, his actions are screaming that he was not miserable in his marriage, just a miserable person.

Me:BS40
WXH:42
DD15; DS13; DD6
D-day:6/30/08 & 10/25/08
WH moved out 9/15/08
D: 1/15/10

"So take that look out of here, it doesn't fit you, because it's happened, doesn't mean you've been discarded." -- Big Country from "In a Big Country."
"Keep calm and carry on." -- Winston Churchill
L
L
OK Athena, in the immortal words of Bugsy, after telling bugs bunny to shud up once, "SHAD UP SHADDIN UP RABBIT"

Don't pray for God to guide your footsteps unless you are willing to move your feet

Me BH 55, WW 40, M 12 yrs, 3 Boys 19, 10 & 8.
Separated Sept 08
DDay Dec 08
Plan A Mar 09
Plan B 16 Nov 09
M
M
[I knew they stopped SF and were having serious problems in their marriage. .

Well of course they had "serious problems in their marriage;" he was getting easy nookie at work. But I seriously doubt he stopped having sex at home. Did his wife tell you that?

I know I said I'd stop talking about OM and I will, but I did want to respond to this one.

He knew he was being an *ss at home. He told me she was depressed and cried all of the time. She got them in counselling and he lied there too. I knew all of the lying he was doing everywhere else.

Athena, he was not scared. The truth is that he would have never left his wife for you. All the fear in the world would not have stopped him if that is what he really wanted. He was making his marriage work because he had no intention of leaving his wife.

If he had wanted to leave his wife, he would have. The proof is in the pudding. I know you don't want to accept that, but the truth is in his actions.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Getting caught made the decision for us.

Cake Eaters

So you talked the talk. So once the light of day was on your affair it was off.

POSOM knew that you could never meet all his needs. I bet you a million dollars that one of his top ENs is Open and Honest. His BW could and you couldn't. You couldn't with your BS and you couldn't with him. POSOM knew this with a certainty. If you could meet his needs he would of left his BS for you in a heart beat.

Be honest, you as a Cake Eater, knew that POSOM could never meet all your needs.

E
E
Athena, will you make a post of 5 good traits your husband possesses?

S
S
You need to realize that having NC with you is the best decision right now for this POSOM I bet you a million dollars that their marriage.....

is in a REAL recovery
He's happier then he has ever been in his life
Loves his wife very much
Glad that the affair came out in the open.

So please stop talking about how he is regretting not being with you, because chances are he is GLAD that it happened.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by clark_kent
@athena99 -

IMHO, you are a Renter. You keep Score. "If I get my needs met, I will meet your needs."

I crossed the line in the middle of the bed and put my arm around him because I knew it would mean a lot to him.

But you only were able to do this after he met your need of Initmate Conversation.

What ENs of BS have you met that didn't require your ENs being met first?

I didn't think of it like that. Talking made me feel close to him. Close enough that I felt like I could reach out and touch him without feeling creepy. I actually enjoyed it too.

I thought I did a good thing. Without the talking, every time I'd summon up the courage to touch him, I immediately felt bad because I "didn't mean it". I wasn't waiting to "get mine" first and I wasn't withholding it out of some sense of keeping score. Having that talk certainly did a lot to make me feel something for him again. This morning I thanked him for talking and I asked if he noticed the affection I was showing last night. He seemed very appreciative. Is it wrong to ask him if he noticed? I don't want the recognition, but I want to know that it is getting through and making the deposits.

I will admit that I am not making much of an effort to meet his ENs right now. I felt so distant from him. But I think that with how well things went last night and that we are already making plans to do more talking tonight and planning a date night out to look at some books, I will be able to change that.

I know that feelings follow actions, but I found it hard to take that first step when the feelings aren't there at all. When he talks to me, I feel something and that gets me started. When we stop talking for weeks on end, I have to start all over again and it is frustrating because I question everything again. Maybe once we are over the hump and in a good place, I won't be starting from the bottom ever again.

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
M
M
I knew they stopped SF and were having serious problems in their marriage. She wanted to fix things and he was holding back. I was torn - I wanted him to be happy, but I also wanted him for myself. When he needed to give in to make her happy again (god it was so unfair to her) I knew he didn't want to but was only trying to make things livable at home, so I accepted it as part of our situation that we'd created.

I didn't see it as cheating because he wasn't doing it for himself. He didn't want to, but he did it out of guilt.

The saddest part of all is that you actually fell for this. Your OM must have been thrilled to find a side dish who would believe such a riduculous lie. NOW do you see why he kept you around for *10 years*??

Yeah, I can see how f**ked up that looks. Yet I was so deep in it that it looked and felt normal.

Please keep reminding yourself of this. He is no different from any other cheating man. He gave you whatever lie you wanted to hear so you'd feel good about cheating with him and would keep doing it. That's the coin he used to pay you.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
C
C
I'm thinking that your really aren't doing Undivided Attention.

When we stop talking for weeks on end, I have to start all over again and it is frustrating because I question everything again.

20+ UA time will fix this. How are you scheduling this? What does your UA consist of?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Exodus1414
Athena, will you make a post of 5 good traits your husband possesses?

- He has NEVER in my experience said a disrespectful thing to me (there was one joke he made very early on in our dating and as soon as the words were out he knew he made a mistake, so I don't even count it).

- He has a WONDERFUL extended family that I am blessed to know and be a part of.

- He is INCREDIBLY intelligent and logical.

- He LOVES his children dearly (even though they try his patience much of the time).

- He didn't kick my *ss to the curb when I told him about my A. He was RESERVED and understanding.

- He has a GREAT sense of humor.

- He would NEVER LIE to me.

- He works HARD and takes pride in it.

- Everyone who knows him RESPECTS him.

- He has a heart of GOLD and cries at sappy movies.

More than 5, but he is a great guy ... better than I deserve.

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by clark_kent
I'm thinking that your really aren't doing Undivided Attention.

When we stop talking for weeks on end, I have to start all over again and it is frustrating because I question everything again.

20+ UA time will fix this. How are you scheduling this? What does your UA consist of?

Our UA is just being around each other - shopping, doing crosswords, watching tv. I guess that isn't "undivided" attention, is it?

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
M
M
Our UA is just being around each other - shopping, doing crosswords, watching tv. I guess that isn't "undivided" attention, is it?
I suspect the two of you may be engaging in 'parallel play', KWIM? You're in the same room, but not engaged with each other.

Can you brainstorm with your BH for things to do that will put more of the focus on each other?

Here's some of what we do:

Rules:
1. The activity includes only the two of you. No other adults. No kids.
2. You are not allowed to discuss your children.
3. You both need to enjoy the activity or be willing to experience it enthusiastically.

Short list of suggestions:
Make cookies together - use a new recipe you've never tried.

Wash the car.

Play badminton. Golf. Bowling. Any sports activity that involves just the two of you. Congratulate H's good shots (throws, hits) commiserate on the bad ones. Show him that you are engaged and interested in his play.

Bubble bath together. Watch where you put your feet. grin Loofah each other. Fire up the candles and put them around the edges of the tub. (If it's a jacuzzi, move the candles before you turn on the jets. We found out the hard way that they can vibrate right into the water laugh )

Build a family website or blog. (Total transparency: this one is on our bucket list. We haven't done it yet.)

Make meals for the elderly/disabled and deliver it to them.

Board games. Talk smack during the game and don't mean it.

Brainstorm holiday gifts for under $10.

Make and jar spaghetti sauce for gifts.

Go through your old photos. Make a scrapbook of your marriage. Label the photos with names and dates before you get so old that you forget who the people in the photos are.

Not all of this will be you cups of tea, of course. You and your H have your own interests. The idea is to take those interests and fashion them into an adventure for the two of you. It takes some commitment and creativity, but it can be done.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 01/06/11 03:12 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

A
OP Offline
A
Yeah, I just read the information about Undivided Attention and realized that we are NOT doing it properly.

Policy of Undivided Attention

The Policy of Undivided Attention: Give your spouse your undivided attention a minimum of fifteen hours each week, using the time to meet the emotional needs of affection, sexual fulfillment, intimate conversation, and recreational companionship.

We are going to talk tonight and maybe even go over our EN questionnaires so we can start planning things to do (and do better) during our UA.

Yay - I have a plan again. And it feels good. Thanks guys!!!!! Sorry I lose focus, stop doing what you've advised, and end up getting caught up in the fog. Can't promise it won't happen again, but I know where to come to get straightened out (with lots of 2x4s).

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I suspect the two of you may be engaging in 'parallel play', KWIM? You're in the same room, but not engaged with each other.

That's exactly it. I think we've been doing that for many years (before the A), even with SF.

Thanks for the suggestions - they all sound like fun. And I have to admit, 24 hours ago I was seriously doubting I would look forward to doing anything with BH. I hate taking him on my crazy roller coaster of ups and downs (if I were creative, I'd give it a funny name smile ) but hopefully that will get better too.

WW (me) My Story
BH (Helo) His Story
S
S
Maritial Bliss

I love these ideas

M
M
Originally Posted by sunnydaze53
Maritial Bliss

I love these ideas
You may have them. kiss

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 20 of 29 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation