Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
H
H
Originally Posted by Chris_USAF
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Anyway, I think considering your situation, you are setting up nicely.

Count down that deploment clock, then when you get home, time to do some affair slaying - 40 man heroic hard-mode style.

Thank you, and I am. Old school BWL style?

Originally Posted by LoveIsaChoice4Me
Hi, Chris ~
God bless you for what you are doing for us in Afghanistan! You ARE precious to me, Sweetheart!

Your poem is beautiful!
It reminds me of the poems my H used to write to me!
Keep your head high!
Keep your focus on the love that you want to restore in your marriage...
You are on the right track!
God Bless ~
I am praying for you...
pray

Thank you. That is just one of many. And part of Plan A is focusing on the positive--So I am.

Wielding Thunderfury, and wearing a full Fogbabble resistance set.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
OP Offline
C
Small Update:

My wife finally admitted to being depressed. That she's been in denial about it for 5 years.

On the other side, she seems happy enough to send some pictures to the Jon guy.

Good day whistle

Me: 28
STBX: 28
Married: 8 Yrs
Kids: 7, 6, 4 & 16 & 18 (Foster)
Exposed: Apr09, 4Jan11, 10May11, 20Jun13
I'm out!

A
A
My wife finally admitted to being depressed. That she's been in denial about it for 5 years.

On the other side, she seems happy enough to send some pictures to the Jon guy.

That's because she's self-medicating her depression with the high of an affair.
Of course, we know that it will only lead to more depression in the long run.
How are things going? How are you feeling about your marriage at this point?

Formerly ConfuzedHusband
BH
WW (Now XW)
Married 4 years, No children.
EA/PA from 2/2008 to 5/2008.
DDay: 5/17/2008 - Separated 6/1/2008 - Filed 8/3/2008
Divorce final 3/2009.

Now in a committed relationship with a woman of character who loves me so much better and deeper than I ever dreamed possible. I had no idea what I was missing out on and am so grateful God gave me a free "second chance" at love and life.
C
OP Offline
C
I'm doing fine. Ready to bail though.

I got chewed out yesterday over some old [censored]. I made mention to a video my friend posted on his wall, which was of his girlfriend DJ'ing (I like music) and she thought I was drooling over the girl. That errupted into a 3 hour session of her accusing me of wanting this girl, lying to her, hiding something, etc. I've never met this girl. I only know of her through my friend.

So yeah, tired of the B.S.

I'm out!

M
M
Chris, you do realize she is attacking you like this because she is blameshifting - right? She immediately comes out yapping and snapping like a terrier, backs you into a corner, and prevents you from saying anything about HER actions. She forces the focus on YOU and what she says YOU have done and makes the problems all about YOU.

She does this because it works.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
C
OP Offline
C
Oh I know and agree. When I finally make progress she always switches it to, "Fine, whatever. It's always my fault anyways" and storms away (or logs off, whatever).

I'm out!

C
OP Offline
C
Major dilemna: The ex-gf that I left so that my wife and I could get back together (we were separated, she told me she was pregnant, I wanted to be a good father, so we reunited) has re-entered my life; and in an extremely positive way. I know it's wrong of me to get close to her while married and I'm not trying to, but I find it quite the coincidence that both of our marriages are falling apart simultaneously.

Could it be a sign? My wife says she wants to get help, fix her issues, etc but after years of lies and empty promises how can I trust her?

I'm out!

H
H
Major dilemna: The ex-gf that I left so that my wife and I could get back together (we were separated, she told me she was pregnant, I wanted to be a good father, so we reunited) has re-entered my life; and in an extremely positive way. I know it's wrong of me to get close to her while married and I'm not trying to, but I find it quite the coincidence that both of our marriages are falling apart simultaneously.

Could it be a sign? My wife says she wants to get help, fix her issues, etc but after years of lies and empty promises how can I trust her?

Chris, please understand that 'round these here parts, unless there is a finalized divorce, any relationship outside the marriage is considered adultery. Your wife may look at it the same as you... or she may not, and it may be another piece of the puzzle about her behavior towards you. It does NOT excuse HER ADULTERY.

A sign? Chris, is this Jon guy a sign for your wife? It's not a sign, Chris. It's you doing something you shouldn't; talking about your marital problems with a woman who is not your wife.

Put the breaks on, and cut her out.

You aren't evil, or strange, or weird. I felt this temptation myself at one point, but recognized it early, and ran for the hills.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Chris, you are not single so STOP acting like it.

Major dilemna: The ex-gf that I left so that my wife and I could get back together (we were separated, she told me she was pregnant, I wanted to be a good father, so we reunited) has re-entered my life; and in an extremely positive way.

Any woman that is willing to "reenter" your life while you are still married is someone with big redflag redflag redflag and someone I would stay far away from.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Chris, please understand that 'round these here parts, unless there is a finalized divorce, any relationship outside the marriage is considered adultery.

It's not a sign, Chris. It's you doing something you shouldn't; talking about your marital problems with a woman who is not your wife.

Put the breaks on, and cut her out.

My wife was just a girlfriend back then and we were separated. As it stands the ex-gf is just a friend. I'm not talking about my marital problems with her and I'not trying to hook up with her. Like I said, "I know it's wrong and I'm not trying to."

I'm out!

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Chris, you are not single so STOP acting like it.

Any woman that is willing to "reenter" your life while you are still married is someone with big redflag redflag redflag and someone I would stay far away from.

Didn't realize talking to someone was acting single. To get technical I've known this person for 18 years or so. Longer than I've known my wife. She was a great friend and basically family before she became a g/f. She isn't just doing this because of my marital problems. I've actually been giving her advice on hers so our communication has basically opened back up after a year or so of not really talking.

I'm out!

S
S
Didn't realize talking to someone was acting single.

Huh? This "someone" is an ex GF...which is a big NO-NO! And this "talking" is about your troubled marriages which is another NO-NO!!

Stay away from this MARRIED ex-GF or you will be heading into your own affair! You are already starting to sound foggy, Chris...seriously.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Just to clarify I'm not allowed to talk to anyone like this. Hell last time I had a female friend, I only talked to her rarely about motorcycles, my wife got SUPER JEALOUS. She jumped my [censored] once for telling this girl I had a meeting... Wife said that was too personal. Keep in mind while my wife is saying this to me she's having these conversations with these other guys.

So I avoid having female friends now because the headache isn't worth it.

Your W was RIGHT to be jealous. Married people do NOT have opposite sex friendship. You need to work on your boundaries!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
V
V
Chris, in the interests of heading you off at the pass:

EVERYbody has an account in our Love Banks. Their account may be in the negative (e.g., the crummy neighbor who lets his dog poop on your yard), or it may be in the positive (e.g., your W when you two first got together).

This includes your ex-GF. The scary thing is that her balance has been proven to be positive in the past, and every time you and she talk, you are both making deposits into each other's Love Banks - thereby boosting whatever balances were there already.

The tricky thing about this is that we don't come programmed with a Love Bank Balance Meter. You don't know what the magic number of Love Unit deposits is until you're past it - the point where you feel warm and fuzzy thoughts toward this person.

THAT'S why boundaries are important. Since you DON'T know when someone's going to tip their Love Bank Balance with you into "love" feelings, you have to maintain strong boundaries to protect your Love Bank - to effectively close it to any deposits other than those that are rightfully made: e.g., your wife's.

Sure, your (W)W isn't stellar at meeting your needs right now. That's why you have the board here, safe outlets in real life, etc. - NOT ex-GF's. That's got to have a huge "DANGER DANGER DANGER" sign flashing over it.

Even if your (W)W hasn't protected your M, you can.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
S
S
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
One of the extraordinary precautions I mention when discussing the topic of avoiding affairs is to rule out friends of the opposite sex. To many, my recommendation seems to be an overreaction at best and downright paranoid and controlling at worst. After all, it's healthy to have friends of the opposite sex whether or not you're married. Right?
Well, it's been my experience counseling thousands of couples that opposite-sex friends pose the greatest risk for infidelity. True, there are those who go shopping for sex on the internet or have one-night stands with total strangers while on a trip. But that's not the typical affair. The most common affair is with someone who has become a friend.

Work is a place that many find these friendships, but they are also found in recreational settings, volunteer organizations, and even church. What starts out as casual conversation develops into intimate conversation where personal problems are revealed and help is offered by the friend. Massive Love Bank deposits are made when that happens. The next thing you know, you're hooked.

I've read thousands of letters describing the anguish of betrayed spouses caught in this web, but I'm using the letter I received this week to remind you that danger lurks in what often appears as an innocent friendship.

Are "Friends" a Threat to Your Marriage?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Stay away from this MARRIED ex-GF or you will be heading into your own affair! You are already starting to sound foggy, Chris...seriously.

ITA!!!

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
Chris, in the interests of heading you off at the pass:

EVERYbody has an account in our Love Banks. Their account may be in the negative (e.g., the crummy neighbor who lets his dog poop on your yard), or it may be in the positive (e.g., your W when you two first got together).

This includes your ex-GF. The scary thing is that her balance has been proven to be positive in the past, and every time you and she talk, you are both making deposits into each other's Love Banks - thereby boosting whatever balances were there already.

The tricky thing about this is that we don't come programmed with a Love Bank Balance Meter. You don't know what the magic number of Love Unit deposits is until you're past it - the point where you feel warm and fuzzy thoughts toward this person.

THAT'S why boundaries are important. Since you DON'T know when someone's going to tip their Love Bank Balance with you into "love" feelings, you have to maintain strong boundaries to protect your Love Bank - to effectively close it to any deposits other than those that are rightfully made: e.g., your wife's.

Sure, your (W)W isn't stellar at meeting your needs right now. That's why you have the board here, safe outlets in real life, etc. - NOT ex-GF's. That's got to have a huge "DANGER DANGER DANGER" sign flashing over it.

Even if your (W)W hasn't protected your M, you can.

Appreciate the constructive post, instead of the accusations everyone else is throwing out.

I do look at it like this and I'm not trying to hit the "love threshhold." She's a lifetime friend, and yes even an ex-gf, but that doesn't mean we can't remain friends. I do not tell her my marriage problems, I'm not shooting her compliments and or trying to gain support. I'm just a friend and we just talk. The dilemna I mention is the fact that she is providing that need to me that my wife is not (communication), which at this time is one of the largest of my needs due to the physical distance. Does it deposite love units? Sure. I know this. But will it ever go past a friendship? Nope. Not unless my wife and I divorce, and it won't be because I have another girl lined up (which I don't, she's married too). I'm not okay with the "no opposite sex friends" marriage rule, it's probably the only one I don't agree with. It creates opportunities, but what doesn't? Put on some makeup, dress up nice, talk to your waiter at the restaurant, pay a cashier at a store versus buying stuff online, etc; it all creates opportunies. It's on the individual to not put themselves in a bad situation and resist temptations. If my wife can't resist temptation then she will obviously be highly encouraged to move on. To me this rule just seems like an excuse to not trust your spouse.

One thing my wife will never get rid of is male friends. I'm more than happy to give up my female friends, and I have, but she isn't. So, given that fact, I'm not going to go to any great strides to discontinue this relationship. I've already exposed it to my wife and made sure she was okay with it. I've explained to her the details of our conversations and limited information sharing. My wife is fine with it.

I know you MB worshippers will hate me and criticize me for saying that but oh well, it's not the end all be all of rules and my wife isn't part of the MB program nor will she ever be. I've looked through it, read up on it, studied it, presented it to my wife, and tried to incorporate it, but it's not happening. If only one person is on the program it's pointless.

I'm out!

S
S
The dilemna I mention is the fact that she is providing that need to me that my wife is not (communication), which at this time is one of the largest of my needs due to the physical distance. Does it deposite love units? Sure. I know this. But will it ever go past a friendship? Nope. Not unless my wife and I divorce,

This type of thinking is why affairs start. Once you start letting someone else meet your ENs, it is a slippery slope, Chris. You are already starting to rationalize with some foggy thinking, I think you contradicted yourself a few times in this last post.

Last edited by SusieQ; 02/16/11 12:17 PM.
C
C
(communication) [Conversation]

Please don't do this. Conversation is one of the four Intimate Needs. It will soon follow that you will need to have the other three met.

You are already in your mind trying to justify this relationship. You are comparing XGF with WW.

Take care of your marriage first. R or D. Get this done first before adding this other drama. Take it from me, this is not a road you want to be traveling.

V
V
Chris, none of this is easy, regardless of the details - EA, PA, LTA, RA, you name it. It's even worse when the BS is asked to go without his or her needs being met, and their Taker is just waiting to be set free.

But no one ever said the right thing to do was also the easy thing to do. As you mentioned, this ex-GF is meeting a need for you, and I bet it feels really good to finally scratch that it, so to speak. Does that mean you should do it, though?

If you can't continue on with your (W)W's behavior, if you can't remain committed to the M and live it how she, you, and it deserve it to be, then you need to leave. You may not want to see it this way right now, but you are incredibly vulnerable and are playing with fire. You are justifying your continued need-meeting with the ex-GF, you are going outside of your M to get your needs met JUST LIKE YOUR (W)W IS (which is why you came here in the first place, remember - her betrayal of you and the M), and you seem like you're about to flip the bird to your ideal M.

I may be wrong, but please: I think more often than not it's an old flame that becomes the AP, and, as Susie said, it's a slippery slope. Once you start down it, you won't know until it's too late to turn back.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 106 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation