Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2589192 01/23/12 02:05 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Guys (and girls), I'm looking for some interesting ideas for a Valentine's day/night out. Please chime in with your suggestions. confused I'm currently thinking about a dinner/dancing cruise on a local lake. What might you have cooking?

Plan D Final: January 2011
DD: 17, DS: 21
G
G
I am working hard to avoid getting a BF before Valentine's Day. I hate. loathe and despise the day. I did see a singles auction fundraiser. I thought I might go bid. Rather than be bought with Diamonds (thank you DeBeers commercials), I'd rather do the buying.

Joking. I think.

If you have a date, I think a dinner cruise may be fun.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
F
F
Originally Posted by Greengables
I am working hard to avoid getting a BF before Valentine's Day
This is where I have trouble with the abbreviations and acronyms. I read this as "I am working hard to avoid getting a boyfriend before Valentine's Day." Can that be true???

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
K
K
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
I am working hard to avoid getting a BF before Valentine's Day
This is where I have trouble with the abbreviations and acronyms. I read this as "I am working hard to avoid getting a boyfriend before Valentine's Day." Can that be true???

That's what it looks like to me, too, Fred.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
G
G
Absolutely. There is nothing worse than starting to date someone just before Valentine's day. too much pressure.

And just now I've gone out with a man twice. It's a tricky time. Ideally, you get a boyfriend right after V-day. That way, if he's still in the picture the next time St. Valentine rolls around, it will be a year. Then, you know where you are. Sappy card, decent present, home-cooked dinner.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
K
K
I think if it's someone new in your life they can bring roses and you can fix a special dinner and you can continue getting to know each other without the pressure of cards and sappy phrases.

Me, I'll buy my dog a nice dog biscuit! smile

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
F
F
If I may...?

Speaking as a guy, I think it's tougher on a man this time of year when a relationship may be starting.

Do I take a leap of faith and send Valentine's Day flowers? Candy? The same-old-tired-stuff, or don't I?

What might she think? Am I moving too fast? Will she get the wrong idea? What if I don't? Is she expecting me to send something?

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

GG, you haven't said you're in a relationship. You've only said you've dated one guy twice.

Why are you anxious about Valentine's Day?

St. Francis of Assissi
K
K
I wasn't thinking SENDING FLOWERS, I was assuming she'd be seeing him on Valentine's Day so thought he might BRING flowers. I just don't think it should be a big deal if they're just starting to date.

F
F
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
I wasn't thinking SENDING FLOWERS, I was assuming she'd be seeing him on Valentine's Day so thought he might BRING flowers. I just don't think it should be a big deal if they're just starting to date.
I think maybe you misunderstood me, KC. I think there is a lot of pressure on guys to be the "givers" on Valentine's Day. In fact, last year at this time I went through a lot of these mental gymnastics (see my thread) over the woman I had just started seeing.

Roses? They can send a pretty powerful message, you know. For someone who is trying to avoid getting a BF before Valentine's Day, a lot of care has to be taken -- by both sides -- to make sure no confusing messages are sent...

St. Francis of Assissi
K
K
I think people read too much into stuff and make it more pressure on themselves. I've had guys bring flowers on the first date so I never thought anything of it other than as a nice gesture.

F
F
Originally Posted by kaycstamper
I think people read too much into stuff and make it more pressure on themselves. I've had guys bring flowers on the first date so I never thought anything of it other than as a nice gesture.
Your comment brings two things to my mind. The first is that not everyone thinks the same way. The second is that I have always thought it appropriate to bring a small gift/token on a first date.

But I have also been aware that there is a certain level to which such gifts rise. Bringing a small bouquet of spring flowers in a vase is (to me) quite appropriate. But bringing a dozen roses with fern and baby's breath is not. Why? Because roses (particularly red roses) convey a deep feeling -- love. Highly inappropriate on a first date!

Of course, that's the way I think. I'm sure there are some guys who wouldn't even think of bringing anything on a first date. And there are women like you who take it all in stride and don't care one way or the other.

If you read (or remember) my thread on The Art of the First Date, you will see that I was taken to task for "sending the wrong message" by bringing gifts to the woman I was dating. Wow, did that ever shake my belief system!

My point, on this too-long rambling post, is that not everything is black-and-white, and that Valentine's Day gifts for people who are in the very early stages of dating, can be very trepidatious.

St. Francis of Assissi
K
K
Poor Fred, alas I think dating should be fun and if it's full of trepidation, maybe one should reconsider the whole thing...but then who am I to answer, I'd rather dispense with the whole thing! smile I didn't read the post about you being taken to task. You are very conscientious, which is sweet, but I hate to see anyone having to sweat it this much. To me, sending a wrong message is asking someone to marry you and then breaking up with you by Fed Ex. Or marrying you and then disappearing so you have to file a missing person's report. Having survived both of these scenarios, what kind of flowers I get, if any, seems insignificant in comparison. Just enjoying someone's wonderful company seems good enough to me, so long as they're honest and well-intentioned. Maybe people shouldn't use Valentine's Day as a springboard for a new relationship if it's all that complicated! Peace, Fred! smile

G
G
Hi, Fred.

When I posted that, there was enough time for it to develop into a Valentine's day question. If you're actually really in a relationship, V-day isn't so bad. If you are just dating..... EEEK.

Luckily, the guy broke up with me last Wednesday. I'm off the hook.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
F
F
Luckily, the guy broke up with me last Wednesday. I'm off the hook.
"Luckily???"

I'm sorry the guy broke up with you, GG. Maybe you take rejection better than I do.

Just last night I saw Dancing Girl.

I wish I hadn't.

Oh, we talk, but there's just nothing else there. On her part, that is.

St. Francis of Assissi
G
G
Fred, it always hurts to get rejected. But, in my case it was sooner rather than later in the relationship, which is lucky. Less hurt. Also, there were several flags that I saw. Yellow flags, but still. And as much as rejection stinks, I find it easier than breaking up with someone myself.

Meanwhile, plans are now developing with a girlfriend.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
C
C
I am working hard to avoid getting a BF before Valentine's Day. I hate. loathe and despise the day. I did see a singles auction fundraiser. I thought I might go bid. Rather than be bought with Diamonds (thank you DeBeers commercials), I'd rather do the buying.

Joking. I think.

If you have a date, I think a dinner cruise may be fun.

This just reminded me of one my favorite movie lines. Holly Hunter's character said it in "Always":

"I can't be with a guy who looks like I won him in a raffle."

lol.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
K
K
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY Y'ALL!

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. We ended up with a relatively simple approach, I think. Had a terrific dinner on Friday night at a romantic restaurant to celebrate, then she cooked dinner for me on Tuesday (VDay) at her place, where we exchanged gifts.

Plan D Final: January 2011
DD: 17, DS: 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation