Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
Originally Posted by mgambard
Save the judgement for GOD, remember?

It is not a judgment to say that she is doing to YOU exactly what she did before. Remember, *you* are the one who told us how 'innocent' your original work relationship was. We merely observed that she is just repeating history, as anyone would.

Innocent people do not lie to their spouse about going for lunch with the opposite sex. Innocent people certainly do not do such a thing with a particular person that their spouse has already expressed they are unhappy with.

It is not 'judgment' to say that if she did it with you, she will do it to you. It's an observation at this point. You can backpeddle all you want, but the truth isn't pretty and quite honestly, all we know is what you've told us - the 'best' side of it, and it still isn't pretty.

C
C
If you want to find what your future holds if you do marry this woman, tell her that this 'friend' is making you very uneasy so either she can quit her job and go no contact with him forever, or you will not marry her.

See what she says.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
A
A
you're basically saying that every single one of you who has cheated or been cheated on, to just give it up because your spouse WILL cheat on you again, or YOU will cheat again, whatever...how friggin hopeless.

Here is one of the few places where a person would say "once a cheater, NOT ALWAYS a cheater".

However, here is where people who demonstrate remorse, STICK TO BOUNDARIES, remove themselves from problematic/repetitive situations where the adultery occurred, are people who are branded as "reformed" or "formerly wayward".

Your fiance is still doing the same thing as before so she isn't reformed at all. Is she going to quit her job and never speak to this man again, as verified by you?

M
M
"ou know, by the logic you are sharing here, you're basically saying that every single one of you who has cheated or been cheated on, to just give it up because your spouse WILL cheat on you again, or YOU will cheat again, whatever...how friggin hopeless."

But you are not using logic in that fogged out opinion, because you are ignoring the fact that our spouses repented. They stopped cheating and changed their ways. You did not as you are still with your affair partner. You and your affair partner, on the other hand, condone cheating.

Ths forum is for marriages, not to save affairs gone bad.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
mholt Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We ARE getting married! What a bunch of pompousness!
And yes, ridicNit, if you've cheated, or been cheated on, it will happen again. That is what you're telling me.

R
R
No- it isn't what we have told you. At all.

You are not married. You started as an affair. Your fianc� is ignoring healthy relationship boundaries . So are you. You haven't recovered. You're still in an affair relationship from the original act.

Your situation is nothing like what the recovered MARRIAGES on here are like.

Last edited by RidicSit; 05/02/12 02:37 PM.

Thanks for all the support along the way.
I wish you all well. I'm outta here.
Peace.
M
M
@melody lane, suddenly I belong in prison? Do me a favor. Stop talking.

That is surely where you are headed if you cannot discern right from wrong. Look at the mess you have made by having a lack of judgement.... It is not a virtue to be unable to discern right from wrong; it is a crippling liability. As you know....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
And yes, ridicNit, if you've cheated, or been cheated on, it will happen again. That is what you're telling me.

Is there suddenly something wrong with cheating? You did not have an objection when you were cheating on your spouses, after all. How hypocritical of you to object now.

Exposure 101

M
mholt Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
"

But you are not using logic in that fogged out opinion, because you are ignoring the fact that our spouses repented. They stopped cheating and changed their ways. You did not as you are still with your affair partner. You and your affair partner, on the other hand, condone cheating.

Ths forum is for marriages, not to save affairs gone bad.

What I am asking is, why is it not possible for two people to make things right? Is it completely unheard of for us to get married and have a lifelong successful marriage? No it's not. And I truly do think that we will. I think that her behavior is the result of baggage from her last marriage, and that she is willing to change, but that it won't happen overnight. Remember, she DID agree to counseling.

P
P
I�ve gotta watch this guy, huh? She was like, �no worries�he�s married, and harmless�.

rotflmao

I hope you don't mind a little walk down memory lane ....

We were both married at the time, and it was innocent chatting in the beginning.

Deja-vu ....

I noticed one day that she erased his txts, so I confronted her about it, and she said she didn�t want to accidentally respond to a txt he sent, with something intended for me.

Your girlfriend is an "ACE" at fooling the men in her life.
Remember, she's had practice. Her bullcrap responses to her then-husband had your stamp of approval last go-round. You remember, when you were the other man she was innocently flirting with. flirt

I repeatedly told her that I was concerned, because WE had always chatted, and that�s how our relationship started, and that theirs just looked so similar.

Wait! Hold the phone!
You want her NOT to do things that brought you two to such a blissful adultery in the past?
Why not?
It was all A-Okay and good vibrations back then ..... dontknow Why not now?

She said she understood, and that I had NOTHING to worry about, because she had no interest in him in any way other than work, and that she has to be friendly, because they have to work together all the time.

Really, she's an "ACE" at this.

I just asked her to police herself, and be mindful of boundaries.

Which boundaries would those be? The boundaries she previously threw away (with your blessing) in her X-marriage?

Whenever she mentioned him to me, she would be like, �bonehead at work did this..or he annoys me because his personality sucks�reminds me of my ex� etc, so I was like, ok

This gal's got mega-ninja adultery obfuscation & gas-lighting skills. Kudos to her!

*high fives*

And, I also don�t like the fact that when I chat with her throughout the day, that I know I�m sharing her with someone else at the same time?
Help!

No problem
Here's what you should do.
Call up her EX-Husband (the one she betrayed) and ask him for advice.
After all, her EX is the man who knows the most about her abilities to betray a man while appearing innocent.

Her EX probably could help you out a lot!

L
L

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

Is your lawyer still available that you used when you divorced your wife? You better put him on speed dial now.

I'm just saying.........

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
C
C
It would be very simple for her to stop cahtting this guy up and going to lunch with him. She is choosing not to, knowing that you don't like it.

She does NOT CARE how you feel. She only cares that she feels good, evidenced by her lying about being with him and continuing to chat with him.

Ask her to quit her job and go no contact with guy. Seriously.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)

There are a lot of BS's on this board in full recovery after an A. Myself being a BS included.

Have you read Dr Harley's writings? Do you understand the principles? Have you educated yourself on how affairs start and how relationships have been recovered?

Melody Lane is one of the most seasoned (and BEST) posters on this board. You will find help that you are seeking here. However, you must first be HONEST with yourself and the situation you have gotten into. She (as well as many others) has helped many many many people recover their marriages with solid advice based on Dr Harley�s teachings.

As has been pointed out: Is history repeating itself? �well, if you are honest with yourself know the answer to that.
You aren�t going to find any sympathy here to condone adultery.

She is just doing what she knows best. Tough love bud. Now you are about to become a victim of your own crimes. Not a sweet taste.

M
M
OMG, I hooked up with a cheater and she is.......cheating!! doh2

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by CWMI
Ask her to quit her job and go no contact with guy. Seriously.

And after you make this request, and she refuses .... come back to the forum and tell us what "ACE" said in order to make your request seem "controlling" and/or "paranoid".
She's good!
I can't wait.

Ths forum is for marriages, not to save affairs gone bad. [/quote]

Quoted for truth.

M
mholt Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Nevermind. You are all obviously incapable of offering help from the mindset that there MIGHT be a possibility of this turning out to be a successful relationship, (even though it has been for the most part for the past three years, with all kinds of daily challenges work, kids house repairs...etc..all of the normal stuff that we handle with grace.
Good luck to you all. I hope you wallow in your perfect little married ::surround that word with gold and sparkles for the rest of us have-nots to see::
Goodbye.

P
P
Is it completely unheard of for us to get married and have a lifelong successful marriage?

Odds are against it.
This is why ......

Originally Posted by Pepperband
These are the defects for marriages between the spouse and the OP.

1) The intervention of Reality: Divorce in these marriages tends to take place very early in the marriage. During th affair, the infidel and perhaps the affairee are in a state of intensely stimulating unreality. The second marriage itself seems to be a switch that throws the lights on and illuminates the mess that has accumulated. It is as if the romance had seemed real, while the divorce didnt. Only after the remarriage did the divorce become real enough for the lovers to see that it was all a horrible mistake. The affairs that become marriages typically were so intense they were never questioned at all. During the divorce, reality never set in sufficiently to let the romance be evaluated and questioned. The romance was so romantic on one ever got around to asking if it was sane.

2) Guilt.. People who have wrecked a family have inflicted much pain, and they have a lot they could feel guilty about. As reality sets in, they see many things they were overlooking. They may have felt no guilt during the affair and divorce, and the guilt they feel after the romantic marriage may come as a suprise to both of them. It is generally assumed that people who dont permit themselves to be happy must be feeling guilty about somethingm and are unhappy as a way of punishing themselves for their misdeeds. One aspect of guilt is the rluctance to enjoy ones ill-gotten gains. Another aspect of guilt is the urge to return to the scene of the crime and in some way make amends. As a romantic newlywed resists the joys of the ex-mate who was deserted so blitheyly, the new mate can feel disoriented and betrayed.

3) Disparity of sacrifice... Divorces are expensive luxuries. Whatever the financial cost, the emotional cost is far greater. Anyone after losing that much, will be drained, exhausted and depressed. It is particularly difficult when the exhausted survivor of a debilitating divorce marries the triumphant winner of the struggle. If the romantic partner is marrying for the first time, and especially if the courtship has been treacherous and insecure, the new mate will be ecstatic. A new couple may feel a disparity in what had to be sacrificed to bring them together. The partner who has never been divorced may have difficulty understanding the complexity of emotions toward the previous family.

4) Expectations.. Then there is the feeling that anything that cost this much emotionally had damn well better be worth it. The greater the sacrifices, the greater the expectations from the new marriage. Now that the promised land has been reached, it should flow with milk and honey. But instead, the new couple are just 2 tired warriors with no fight left in them. Whatever these people were expecting, the best they are likey to find now is the ordinariness of real life, the dubious peace between glorious battles. The more people enjoy the battles involved in wrecking and escaping marriages, the less they are likely to enjoy the business as usual of the new marriage that was the destination of it all.

5) General Distrust of Marriage.. Of course, anyone who has been unhappily married is likely to develop a strong distrust of the institution of marriage. People whose marriages fell apart during affairs are likey to end up distrusting marriages rather than distrusting affaris. People who distrust marriage have a vey hard time being in one.

6) Distrust of affairee..It might seem appropriate for someone to go out with them, or even to marry them, but not quite appropriate for someone to have an affair with them. Affairs are considered dishonerable acts, and people who feel guilty for having affairs believe that they are dishonorable and their partner must be dishonorable too.

7) Divided Loyalties..During the affair tnd the divorce, the romantic couple isolate themselves. It is not only the betrayed spouses who are erased from awareness, but also the children, the families, friends, anyone who attempts to pull the romantic couple from the quicksand of their affair. But after the remarriage, there may be a longing to reestablish connections with families and friends and this may be more difficult than expected. Each close relationship and some that were amazingly casual may have to be renegotiated in view of the hurt caused to others.

8) The nature of infidels.... People who get themselves into affairs have some specific characteristics that must influence the course of their subsequent marriages. Each kind of infidel is different. Most of those who end up marrying an affair partner are romatics who drift hypnotically through this romantic high without taking much responsibility. Romantic remarriage seldom works, not only because of th unrealistic nature of romance, but also because of the reality-avoiding nature of romantics.

9)The nature of affairees.... Affairees want whatever they want from a relationship, jsut as everyone else does, but what makes them unusual is that they seek their goals among the married rather than the single. They choose partners who are not in position to marry them, and who are engaging in the relationship at great risk. People like this are clearly angry with marriage, and perhaps with the opposite sex. They believe marriage doesnt work, and they demonstrate that by breaking up another marriage as they find a partner for themselves.

10) Romance.. People who believe in the chemistry of romance dont bother to learn much about the physics of relationships. When the romance begins to fade, romantics know little about how to solve those problems that they have relied on romance to transcend. It is painful to watch a romantic relationship dissolve. It happens so suddenly, and so totally. These people have already demonstrated that they would rather get divorced than learn physics, so it is far easier for them to follow the same pattern.

11) Scapegoating of cuckolds... During the affair and divorce, the romantic couple conspired to convince each other that the defective marriage was the fault of the cuckold. To acknowledge otherwise, now that remarriage has taken place, seems a betrayal of the rescue fantasies that fed the romance.

12) Unshared history... Even if the new marriage survives all of these obstacles, there is one further characteristic of all second marriages: The absence of a shared history that brings familiarity torelationships that began earlier in life. If a romantic marriage has wrecked a previous marriage or two, the history of the relationship is painful to both partners, and possibly somewhat embarrasing to others. The new partners keep thinking about it and justifying it, but it is hard to talk about lightly, in the familiar, safe manner of people who can tell their old war stories without guilt. However intense their commitment, people who share a guilty past arent totally rpoud of their new marriage.

C
C
I offered you help! Tell her that you need her to quit this job and go no contact for life with this man.

Please?

(Oscar Wilde)
P
P
Nevermind. You are all obviously incapable of offering help from the mindset that there MIGHT be a possibility of this turning out to be a successful relationship, (even though it has been for the most part for the past three years, with all kinds of daily challenges work, kids house repairs...etc..all of the normal stuff that we handle with grace.
Good luck to you all. I hope you wallow in your perfect little married ::surround that word with gold and sparkles for the rest of us have-nots to see::
Goodbye.

Buh-bye......
Don't forget to come back and post after you've spoken to her EX husband and gotten tips from him..... How to emotionally survive "ACE'S" cheating tactics.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian T, 1 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation