Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 46 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 45 46
A
A
Zhamila,

You are getting some good stuff to chew on! Thank you so much because I am benefitting from it!

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
E
E
***************EDIT********************

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 08/12/12 09:46 PM. Reason: TOS disruptive
M
M
A warning to posters to stop this piling on and help this poster find solutions in accordance with Marriage Builders. This has gone on for a long time and will no longer be tolerated!

mbsurvivor11@gmail.com
C
C
******************EDIT*********************

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 08/12/12 09:53 PM. Reason: TOS disruption

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
E
E
Perhaps a shorter version of work the program, avoid love busters and do not engage in behaviors that you don't wish to see from your husband is what I needed to say.

Apparently, this very message, that I thought I was clearly sending, to help her work the program was not clear.

Hopefully this is now clear and acceptable.

C
C
Get the notebooks and use them! Dr. H advice! Gah!

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Anointed
Zhamila,

You are getting some good stuff to chew on! Thank you so much because I am benefitting from it!

I'm glad Anointed! Me too.

smile

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
M
M
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by CWMI
She joined MB seven years ago, Mel.

Comments like this tell me you are gunning for her, CWMI, and are looking for ways to put her down. I don't understand why you would want to do that. You know very well that she has not been on this forum all these 7 years. She was here for a few short months 7 years ago and then left. She got divorced.

So that is not a fair comment.

Mel, it's not that anyone is gunning for her....we are tired of her complaining daily about her husband and doing nothing PRODUCTIVE to resolve the issues in her marriage other than playing the victim.....was it you who told me almost 10 years ago...If you refuse to do something to change the situation you lose your right to complaint about it?

I have no idea why you'd say she's not doing anything productive. She's gotten her husband into anger management, talked to him and as a result he was on the radio last week and they got clear direction, and she's written Dr. Harley since then.

I'm sure she's willing to own her mistakes and acknowledge her own love busters and do whatever it takes to eliminate them, including anger management if she finds that she doesn't seem to be able to just stop it.

But he needs to own his, too.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Mel, it's not that anyone is gunning for her....we are tired of her complaining daily about her husband...

There are plenty of other threads to read. Please feel free to go read one that doesn't make your blood boil! kiss

...I for one enjoy the free entertainment. But I am MOST grateful for the sound advice.

Thank you NED, Mel, Prisca, KT, Markos, Anointed, Loves, and others!

Elizabeth Bowen

M
M
Originally Posted by Zhamila
OK, after WalMart today (where notebooks were ALSO $.17/ea, I might add, LOL!!!), H started yelling "CRAP! OH MY GAH, DANGGIT!" as he got in the car. I said, "What's wrong?" - I thought a pit bull was attacking his leg or something, or at least a Cockapoo.

He had stepped in gum on the parking lot.

He continued AO'ing, I asked him to please stop the AO. He said, "I'm not AO'ing!" Hmmmm. "This is disgusting, some IDIOT dropped gum on the ground! Kids, you'd better NEVER drop gum on the ground!"

I handed him a napkin so he could put it on the bottom of his shoe & it wouldn't get on the carpet (just had the car detailed - the clean don't last long with 4 kids, but we do what we can smile )

Later, he said, "Will you forgive me?" I said I have a hard time forgiving behavior that repeats so much. This upset him. I asked what forgivess means to him. He explained that he wants me to release him from the obligation to repay. I told him I am not able to do that, I need him to repay me by never having another AO again. This upset him again.

He called it a "little slip." Then he started pointing out all of my flaws, like when I said the F word a few weeks ago. I told him I'd be happy to talk about my problems at another time, but I wanted to stay focused on his eliminating AOs. He kept saying the F word - "so that's not a problem?" I asked him to PLEASE stop saying the F word, and that we can talk about my problems some other time (he kept saying it). I told him his anger is unacceptable to me, I do not want to continue living with an angry man, nor having my children and I exposed to his angry behavior. He promised (again) to stop.

Rrrrrr. I'm getting angry with MYSELF now. I am a fool to put up with this. mad

A couple of comments, Zhamila:

Whatever you can do to stop these discussions earlier in the process will be good. They are making massive love bank withdrawals on both sides.

He should not be asking for "forgiveness." When he does, just redirect the conversation to the productive and enjoyable life you have ahead of you when the love busters are gone and you two have learned to negotiate. After an AO you may not feel like talking to him for awhile, and he should not be demanding it.

Don't ever get into a discussion comparing the relative worth or badness of each other's actions. If you find you've fallen into one, don't try to persuade him that the discussion is a bad idea. Just stop talking. smile

Most importantly, when your husband is having an angry outburst, he is not rational. (Insane.) All the attempts to get him to stop and to talk about the problem right then and there are going to be addressed irrationally. My anger management therapist said whatever we were talking about before the outburst, we should take 24 hour timeout on talking about it again. Take an hour off, and when you get back together, talk about something else. Your favorite sports team or whatever mutual interests you have.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by markos
I'm sure she's willing to own her mistakes and acknowledge her own love busters and do whatever it takes to eliminate them, including anger management if she finds that she doesn't seem to be able to just stop it.

Yep! Why else would I tell these things on the forum? I want to get rid of my LBs.

By the way, we negotiated a 2 week "get the mail together" trial today. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Whatever you can do to stop these discussions earlier in the process will be good. They are making massive love bank withdrawals on both sides.

He should not be asking for "forgiveness." When he does, just redirect the conversation to the productive and enjoyable life you have ahead of you when the love busters are gone and you two have learned to negotiate. After an AO you may not feel like talking to him for awhile, and he should not be demanding it.

Don't ever get into a discussion comparing the relative worth or badness of each other's actions. If you find you've fallen into one, don't try to persuade him that the discussion is a bad idea. Just stop talking. smile

Most importantly, when your husband is having an angry outburst, he is not rational. (Insane.) All the attempts to get him to stop and to talk about the problem right then and there are going to be addressed irrationally. My anger management therapist said whatever we were talking about before the outburst, we should take 24 hour timeout on talking about it again. Take an hour off, and when you get back together, talk about something else. Your favorite sports team or whatever mutual interests you have.

Markos, this advice is SO helpful! It really helps me see what I can do in these situations. Thank you!! OK, summarizing:

So, when he asks me to forgive him, I'll try to redirect to our happy future (though that is a stretch for me right now...but I'll try)

When he starts changing the subject to my failings, what then? He seriously said the F word 7 times loudly & I begged him to stop. (I had said it under my breath a couple of weeks ago...to myself re: work) Can I just leave? It's really hard to pick up and leave, but so painful to stay. It was truly horrific for me.

OK, so we were getting in the car when he started AO'ing. What should I do then...let him keep going while we all sit there and wait for it to end? And when he asks me to forgive him on the way home? I'm just not sure what MY part is in this - I mean I agree with you about it all, I just want to know how to deal when we're in the car, etc.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Markos, this advice is SO helpful! It really helps me see what I can do in these situations. Thank you!! OK, summarizing:

So, when he asks me to forgive him, I'll try to redirect to our happy future (though that is a stretch for me right now...but I'll try)

When he starts changing the subject to my failings, what then? He seriously said the F word 7 times loudly & I begged him to stop. (I had said it under my breath a couple of weeks ago...to myself re: work) Can I just leave? It's really hard to pick up and leave, but so painful to stay. It was truly horrific for me.

OK, so we were getting in the car when he started AO'ing. What should I do then...let him keep going while we all sit there and wait for it to end? And when he asks me to forgive him on the way home? I'm just not sure what MY part is in this - I mean I agree with you about it all, I just want to know how to deal when we're in the car, etc.

And yesterday too, when he ripped out the tether and threw it to the backseat. What should I have done then?

Elizabeth Bowen

P
P
Most importantly, when your husband is having an angry outburst, he is not rational. (Insane.) All the attempts to get him to stop and to talk about the problem right then and there are going to be addressed irrationally.
This is very important to remember. NEVER try to rationalize with someone who is having an AO. Just excuse yourself from the conversation. Trying to straighten him out will only fuel the fire.

I wouldn't even say "Please stop your AO." It puts him on the defense and feeds the fire. IF you say anything at all, all I'd say is "I'm not going to talk about this right now." Keep it short. The more you say, the more YOU are at risk of lovebusting, too. You can talk about the fact that he had an AO later. Remember, during the AO, he is insane. Trying to convince him it's an AO right then and there will not get you anywhere.

By the way, we negotiated a 2 week "get the mail together" trial today. Thanks for the help everyone!!
Great to hear smile

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I understand that many folks are telling me I should feel differently about my H and my marriage...but I am seriously worn out and starting to become a yucky person. I don't want to be that person and I need help!

I have so much frustration inside. So much distaste and mistrust built up. I don't see a "happy future" - every little thing pierces like a dagger! I get it...I'm sure it seems totally ridiculous, but I was at the end of my rope BEFORE we met with Steve and I didn't see progress then. Now it's later and I am beyond exhausted. Not only do I dislike him, I am starting to hate myself.

How do I pull up my bootstraps when I don't want to anymore?

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
Most importantly, when your husband is having an angry outburst, he is not rational. (Insane.) All the attempts to get him to stop and to talk about the problem right then and there are going to be addressed irrationally.
This is very important to remember. NEVER try to rationalize with someone who is having an AO. Just excuse yourself from the conversation. Trying to straighten him out will only fuel the fire.

I wouldn't even say "Please stop your AO." It puts him on the defense and feeds the fire. IF you say anything at all, all I'd say is "I'm not going to talk about this right now." Keep it short. The more you say, the more YOU are at risk of lovebusting, too. You can talk about the fact that he had an AO later. Remember, during the AO, he is insane. Trying to convince him it's an AO right then and there will not get you anywhere.

Great to hear smile

Thanks Prisca. This is helpful.

So, when the children and I are in the car, and he's throwing a tether or yelling about his shoe, do we just have to wait for it to pass? I mean, I hate that.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So, when the children and I are in the car, and he's throwing a tether or yelling about his shoe, do we just have to wait for it to pass? I mean, I hate that.

Argh...I remember my mom would sit passively by and let my stepdad scream and break things and hit everyone. It was pretty traumatizing, and I always promised myself that my children wouldn't grow up afraid like I did...or have a mom who didn't protect them. frown

Elizabeth Bowen

M
M
I understand that many folks are telling me I should feel differently about my H and my marriage

Z,

"You should feel differently" is not Marriage Builders advice. Dr. Harley would NEVER tell you that.

My advice to you is, give the negotiating a try, stick with the anger management for your husband, give it a chance to work, and if you don't feel like doing this, share your objections with Dr. Harley and see what he recommends. He may be able to make some adjustments to his recommendations for you, or he may hear more information and decide you need to go a different route.

M
M
Steve Harley shared an analogy with us that I think would be very good for you:

In athletic training, you go through a bunch of exercises to train and become able to do something. The exercises aren't supposed to hurt. If they hurt, that is a warning signal that you need to get a professional trainer to take a look at the situation and coach you through the exercise or else to recommend a different course of exercise. If you ignore the hurt (the signal) and push through and do the exercise anyway, you are going to pull something or damage something.

The Marriage Builders exercises aren't supposed to hurt. You should know that you are encouraged to trust your feelings and if you feel reluctant about doing anything, get some help (email Dr. Harley), rather than pressing forward and damaging something.

Sometimes it's as simple as "You need to turn your foot a little differently while running." Sometimes it's "You shouldn't be running at all."

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I understand that many folks are telling me I should feel differently about my H and my marriage

Z,

"You should feel differently" is not Marriage Builders advice. Dr. Harley would NEVER tell you that.

My advice to you is, give the negotiating a try, stick with the anger management for your husband, give it a chance to work, and if you don't feel like doing this, share your objections with Dr. Harley and see what he recommends. He may be able to make some adjustments to his recommendations for you, or he may hear more information and decide you need to go a different route.

OK, thanks Markos. I will try the Harleys again...haven't heard back but I think they're out of town this week (they told me they'll be doing re-runs on the radio all week). But I'll try again.

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 39 of 46 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation