Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
T
Originally Posted by toomuchsd
We had a sit down conversation tonight and he agreed to the letter. He also agreed to changing all phone numbers and email addresses.

what caused the change of heart?
not trying to throw any wrenches out there, but I do know how waywards can sometimes suddenly seem very agreeable just so that their spouses calm down right as the relationship with the lover simply goes deeper underground. ]
I'm sure you have very strong reasons to believe that it was simply EA. but just definitely double check and triple check and do make sure you find out EVERYTHING so there are never any nasty surprises later.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
He definitely wants to let OW go. He said its easier every day. I have him a deadline of 3 months for him to let her go and if it doesn't happen we will sit and reassess. He said even if we don't make it, he can't have her in his head for future relationships. But we both definitely want to make this work.

tmsd, what do you mean by "let her go?" He HAS let her go already, correct?

And you can make it if you follow this program. The way to get her out of his head is to get you IN his head. This is something we can help you achieve.

By letting her go, he and I both mean he needs to have her out of his head. So that there are no what ifs, regrets, anything. We both know we can't proceed if he can't fully let her go. He needs to grieve her as the loss of a friend and also brief "girlfriend" or "mistress". I just think its so hard to hang on and wait while he "grieves"

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by twocents
We had a sit down conversation tonight and he agreed to the letter. He also agreed to changing all phone numbers and email addresses.

what caused the change of heart?
not trying to throw any wrenches out there, but I do know how waywards can sometimes suddenly seem very agreeable just so that their spouses calm down right as the relationship with the lover simply goes deeper underground. ]
I'm sure you have very strong reasons to believe that it was simply EA. but just definitely double check and triple check and do make sure you find out EVERYTHING so there are never any nasty surprises later.

When we were discussing all this, it was in front of our kids. After we put them to bed, we sat down and talked. He said he doesn't want to intrude out of the blue into their relationship but if it's what I need then he will do it. He just asked me not to keep giving him ultimatums and making demands. He said he will do what he can to make this work. Honestly, I don't think it's gone underground. He was a completely different person while tangled up in this affair. He was completely miserable and not fun to be around- he said the guilt ate at him daily. I know its trite and this may come back to bite me in the [censored] but he really is a good person. I don't think he could handle two women at once. He basically mentally checked out of our family while having the EA. He was physically here but mentally incredibly distant. It's only the past 2 weeks that he's started being like the old husband I knew- much more present and here with the children. Plus I have given him FULL blessings to pursue the affair with OW if he chooses. I told him I don't want him to regret being with me in the end and I'd wait if he wanted to see what they could have. He said that's not an option at all as he chose me. Obviously I'm skeptical and doubtful. And these posts haven't helped either! I asked him if he'd take a polygraph tonight and he said whatever I needed him to do.

G
G
...He said that's not an option at all as he chose me. Obviously I'm skeptical and doubtful. And these posts haven't helped either! I asked him if he'd take a polygraph tonight and he said whatever I needed him to do.
Well, this sounds like progress; if you're skeptical & doubtful, do follow through on this & have him take the polygraph -- the peace-of-mind for you will be well worth the cash it'll cost (assuming he's on the level); and for his part, he should be glad for the chance to go an extra mile to give you assurance. Don't let yourself be bluffed out of this.

About midway through my affair, when it was still at an only-emotional stage, my wife asked me not to be alone with the other woman (who'm I'd been meeting up with to practice music, since she was one of the fellow-singers on our church's music team). She suspected something in body-language & demeanor, but she couldn't put a finger on anything. However, confidences & endearments had already been exchanged. So, lying next to her, I lied to her face & told her that nothing untoward was going on & that she had nothing to worry about. And she believed me, because... well, because I'd always been a great guy & had never gone off the rails in such a way before. And within a month of that conversation, I -- upstanding family man, good-guy dad, churchgoing, hard-working, all that -- was paying cash for hotel rooms. I never even spent a night away from home during the entire affair, but I managed to find time for it. And my wife never caught on, until the awful day after the other woman's husband found her out via a P.I., when I called her at work to confess what I'd been up to.

toomuch, It's not my purpose to rattle you with these posts. Rather, I simply want the two of you to have the best shot at having a better marriage than what you had before he began letting this person back into his life. I know wayward fog when I hear it, 'cuz I was under it once. I know what a crucial phase the two of you are in right now. There's a clear path to marital recovery, but it's a very narrow one. I also know (because I've seen it firsthand) that a devoted, betrayed spouse's desire to heal can lead her sometimes to flinch from the very most essential prerequisite for healing, which is the full truth about the affair & its extent. I can't know if your husband is on the level -- all we have to go on are your words on this board -- but for your own sake & that of your kids, you need to pursue your doubts until they're addressed, not flinch from confronting them.

A particular danger with an emotional affair is that a wayward spouse -- thinking "it was 'only' an emotional affair -- well, except for that 'one kiss', eh?" -- can fall into the trap of thinking that what they did wasn't that bad, or wasn't as bad as it could've been, and thus will resist the extraordinary precautions & lifestyle changes necessary to prevent infidelity.

And by the way, in the days just after my affair, I remember pleading with my wife "I chose you!" The problem with that was, I was supposed to have chosen her on the day I put a ring on her finger. Your husband doesn't get a do-over on his choice every time he lets another woman into his life. He needs to act on his original choice by shoring up his boundaries regarding the opposite sex. I'm willing to help him with that, as are others here, and it won't cost a penny, but it doesn't make much sense to start there until after he's done the polygraph.

Good luck.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
T
No I'm certain OWH knows about the affair. Additionally this affair is done at least for now. I just don't know 5, 10, 15 years later when the kids are grown up. He said if I asked him to write the letter 3 weeks ago he would have but now 3 weeks later he doesn't want to interfere in their lives. He's unwilling to do it.

Knowing without confirming. The only thing you know for certain is that you do not know if the OWH knows the truth. Time to draw the line in the sand on this matter.

Last edited by TheRoad; 10/15/12 07:15 AM.
T
T
Oh and OW did confirm that they agreed to stay out of each others lives.

And you believe this?
You want to buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

This sounds as a OW that will say anything so her BH won't be told by you that his WW has been banging your WH.

Also she wants to be able to take this affair underground and continue once the heat goes down. Same for your WH refuseal to give access to his affair email account and send a proper NC letter.

T
T
No the email account is deleted. He doesn't want to reinstate it and possibly get the emails back. He said it was a big deal to delete it.

Just more lies. How do you believe this?

If your WH was willing to do the work needed for you to heal he would try to recover this "lost" email acount.

Reminder have you spoken directly to the OWH and exposed the affair? Get 'er done!

Last edited by TheRoad; 10/15/12 07:16 AM.
A
A
Toomuch,

In 2008, I could have written your paragraph above. Your husband is now worried that he will lose you and the family.
You are really new at this. So, let me comment on a few things that I have learned from MB.

1. Most men are entirely capable of being in love with two women at the same time. At this point, your husband wants to do whatever he can to keep both you and the OW.

2. This A has gone physical. Your H admits to kissing her. Most waywards will lie to minimize the extent of the affair. Since he agreed to a polygraph, follow through with it and determine exactly how far this thing went.

3. Verify your H's no contact with keylogger on the computer and software on his phone. DO NOT tell him you are doing this.

4. Talk, in person, to OWH. Waywards are notorious liars. Verify that the husband knows about this and the extent of it. It also serves the purpose of having two sets of eyes on what your H and OW are doing. OWH can watch his wife's actions as well as you watching what your H is doing.

5. Dr. Harley counsels against selfish demands, with the EXCEPTION of affairs and physical abuse. It is entirely reasonable for you to demand that your husband have no contact with OW and to end the affair the RIGHT WAY, with the MB sample no contact letter. Otherwise, your H and OW will be fondly remembering their last conversation of love yous and will think about you forever. I have been in this position and wish that you will not make the same mistakes that I did.

6. Dr. Harley has three key elements to recovery from an affair. They are 1) End the affair and have no contact with the affair partner for life. 2) Be completely transparent in the past, present and future. This includes access to all email, cell phone, daily activities, etc. 3) Build a romantic relationship in the marriage by meeting each other's emotional needs and avoiding lovebusters. It is all possible using MB plans.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
F
F
Originally Posted by armymama
Toomuch,

I am sorry this is happening to you.

Refusal to write a proper nc letter and hiding this email means that the affair has gone underground. It is likely they have found other methods to stay in contact.

Use a keylogger on your computers and check out the operation investigate to track his phone usage.

AM

I agree. It's exactly what happened in my sitch. Please listen to MelodyLane and the others. They KNOW what they are talking about.

BS - 45 (me)
WH - 43
DD - 23
DD - 16

Trickle truths 4/18/12-9/8/12
Final DDay - 9/12/12

Finally heading into recovery thanks to Marriage Builders.
T
OP Offline
T
Sorry it's been an emotional few days. I basically told him to tell me if there is anything else because if he's hinging my future well being on OW or OWH keeping a secret then he better come clean now. Before I heal myself, rebuild myself only to find something else happened in 5, 10, 20 years. I told him I don't have it in me to rebuild myself again. The questions I asked him were:

1. Did you guys have sex
2. Have you had any further contact
3. Do you have any other secret email/phone

He admitted in marriage counseling today that they had sex. He was gone for 3 days before I found out and that is when it happened. He flew out to see her, have sex, then flew back. I contacted OWH and confirmed he knew of both EA and PA. He did. He actually just found out 2 days ago. He said they've had no contact because he has been with OW except for 2 hours the past few weeks. Husband swears this is all there is to it.

My husband said he didn't tell me because he didn't think it was the right time to add more information on top of everything. I told him BS I just made him realize last night that its not a secret he can't guarantee won't come out so he got scared.

Anyway so where do I go? I want to kick him out for a while, while I figure things out. It's not even so much as the pain of knowing it was a PA also but the fact that he withheld it from me, waited til I built myself back up a bit, started trusting a bit and for this to come out. He's basically been lying the entire time we have been "rebuilding". He said he's scared to lose me blah blah blah. I'm just done at this point. I don't see how I can forget this. He thinks we should proceed with our original plan of talking about everything one more time on Friday night then not bringing it up again. Is it crazy I just need to separate a bit first to figure out what I want?

T
OP Offline
T
Also wanted to say that him going back to OW is NOT an option. She lives states away, has reconciled with her husband. So the only damaging thing a separation may do is make one or both of us we don't love or need each other. Which wouldn't be a bad thing to figure out now instead of 14 more years later right?

G
G
Sorry it's been an emotional few days. I basically told him to tell me if there is anything else because if he's hinging my future well being on OW or OWH keeping a secret then he better come clean now. Before I heal myself, rebuild myself only to find something else happened in 5, 10, 20 years. I told him I don't have it in me to rebuild myself again. The questions I asked him were:

1. Did you guys have sex
2. Have you had any further contact
3. Do you have any other secret email/phone

He admitted in marriage counseling today that they had sex. He was gone for 3 days before I found out and that is when it happened. He flew out to see her, have sex, then flew back. I contacted OWH and confirmed he knew of both EA and PA. He did. He actually just found out 2 days ago. He said they've had no contact because he has been with OW except for 2 hours the past few weeks. Husband swears this is all there is to it.

My husband said he didn't tell me because he didn't think it was the right time to add more information on top of everything. I told him BS I just made him realize last night that its not a secret he can't guarantee won't come out so he got scared.

Anyway so where do I go? I want to kick him out for a while, while I figure things out. It's not even so much as the pain of knowing it was a PA also but the fact that he withheld it from me, waited til I built myself back up a bit, started trusting a bit and for this to come out. He's basically been lying the entire time we have been "rebuilding". He said he's scared to lose me blah blah blah. I'm just done at this point. I don't see how I can forget this. He thinks we should proceed with our original plan of talking about everything one more time on Friday night then not bringing it up again. Is it crazy I just need to separate a bit first to figure out what I want?
So old GloveOil's not so off-base after all, eh?

I'm so sorry, toomuchsd. I was hoping I'd be wrong. But I could just tell.

If you & he want this marriage to be saved, it can still be saved & made better than before. But you both have to be all-in. You don't need to decide now whether you want to save the marriage, but it is advised that you not separate if you think you might want to make a go at recovering the marriage. Separation would be advised in cases where he seems likely to be a physical danger to you, but I presume that's not the case here. The damaging thing a separation would do is, it would prevent you from meeting any of each other's emotional needs at a time when this may be very crucial IF you decide you want to recover.

He needs to start proving he's all-in, even with no guarantees at the outset re: how you'll feel or whether you'll come around.

I would start by telling him honestly that you don't know how you feel & that you don't feel ready to decide right at this moment. I would also tell him what my wife told me on the day I confessed my affair -- namely, that if he so much as thinks about contacting her other than to do a proper no contact letter to your satisfaction, then he's out.

Then I would have him do the no-contact letter.

I would also still proceed with the polygraph. he has a history of telling less than the full truth. Again, if he wants to save your marriage, then he should look at this as gratefully as a chance to give you assurance that the facts are all out on the table.

He also should self-expose, to your families, regarding the extent of the affair. He shuold keep in mind that the purpose of this is not to humiliate him or punish him, but to establish some accountability for him. Again, he should be grateful for the chance, the chance to avoid losing you!

See how he reacts to the above. If he's on-board, then maybe we can talk about sending him here; but right now, you don't want him to see your game-plan yet.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
OP Offline
T
I see no reason to proceed with the polygraph. Honestly what more can he tell me that can hurt?

He is already willing to do the no contact letter. I'm going to make it him do it regardless of If I make him leave or not.

As for the exposure of the extent of the affair...I have chosen only to tell my very trusted friends and family and his sister. If we do make this work, I don't want to be judged as the stupid wife.

I just feel like the one thing that attracted me the most to him- his honesty and integrity- is gone. Why stay? I don't even know who this man is. He said he was obsessed with her and made poor decisions. That he was in a fog and completely irrational. He doesn't want me to make him leave. But I feel kicking him out will give me some much needed alone time.

I
I
I see no reason to proceed with the polygraph. Honestly what more can he tell me that can hurt?

He is already willing to do the no contact letter. I'm going to make it him do it regardless of If I make him leave or not.

As for the exposure of the extent of the affair...I have chosen only to tell my very trusted friends and family and his sister. If we do make this work, I don't want to be judged as the stupid wife.

I just feel like the one thing that attracted me the most to him- his honesty and integrity- is gone. Why stay? I don't even know who this man is. He said he was obsessed with her and made poor decisions. That he was in a fog and completely irrational. He doesn't want me to make him leave. But I feel kicking him out will give me some much needed alone time.

This isn't the MB plan, its plan sd.

Failing to expose through embarassment won't work. There is no recovery without exposure.

He's clearly still witholding truth and without RH there is no recovery. If he thinks you will accept lies to avoid hurt - that's what you'll get forever. While wondering about the truth.

So if you want recovery, you have to put ALL the ingredients in, not just the easy ones.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
I just feel like the one thing that attracted me the most to him- his honesty and integrity- is gone.

Then insist on future honesty and integrity.

Facing up to exposure is the FIRST STEP in becoming an accountable FORMER wayward.

Proving truth with a willingness to sit a poly is another act of honesty.

He has to DO stuff. There is no magic wand.

M
M
Answer that question for yourself. Are you comfortable with the knowledge that you have right now? I, personally, believe you will get more information with a poly. I think he's still holding back on info to 'protect you' aka 'to protect himself'.
But I feel kicking him out will give me some much needed alone time.
Your call, sister. You're driving the bus.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
So sorry to hear about the new developments, sd.
I feel your pain and relate so much to what I know you are going through right now. Seriously, I wish people would all stumble across this site or Dr Harley's books or something before they ever have an affair to see beforehand the terrible damage it causes.
People get married and promise themselves to each other for life and later can't live by those words and still behave as a separate entity, instead of being ONE with the person they married.
It just sucks.
And especially for those of us who did not even see it coming - I completely understand what its like to look at someone you love in a new light, like there is a side to them you simply had no clue about - it threatens your very sense of security.

I do have some advice about exposure, because I didn't do it. I really should have. At the time, I was fearing the same things you are, but in hindsight more and more I wish I had exposed what my WH did to me far and wide. Its a small price to pay for what he did and as others have said, also gives you support. You are not the stupid wife. He is the stupid wayward to have ever done this.

T
OP Offline
T
I have tremendous support. The emotional affair and "kiss" was exposed to everyone. I'm reading SAA and I haven't gotten to the section that talks about full exposure. I have exposed the sex to my best friend and his sister.

I also told him last night he needs to take a polygraph. He was fine with it until I told him one question will be if he has talked to her. He confessed she skyped him Monday briefly to tell him her husband found out about the sex.

He claims the fog is completed lifted now and he will do whatever it takes. He will wait if I decide we need to separate. I feel so confused. I'm terrified of not having him in my life but also terrified he will hurt me again. He claims he has to stop lying because he can't stand the hurt. That he hasn't been putting 100% effort into rebuilding this marriage because he was scared to tell me about the sex. But he's ready now. I don't know. He says he will do whatever I ask.

I
I
I would believe that WHEN the actions are completed.

You should put a keylogger on PC and get other snooping tools to confirm NC

A
A
"He confessed she skyped him Monday briefly to tell him her husband found out about the sex... He claims the fog is completed lifted now and he will do whatever it takes."

Your husband had contact with OW two days ago. There is no way the fog has lifted and there was probably much more to the conversation Monday, how much do you and OWH know, how to stay in contact, how much they feel for each other. He is still in the affair and will probably either respond to contact to initiate contact in a few days. That is the nature of an affair addiction. To bust up the affair, follow the MB advice:

1. Expose the full extent of the affair to friends and family. It would be a good idea to have an agreement with OWH that both of you will inform the other of any known contact.

2. Change the conditions that made the affair possible. In this case, there should be total transparency in phone and internet use. Install a keylogger on the computer and do not tell your husband you are doing this. There should be no further nights away from home.

3. What your husband has been telling you is termed "trickle truth", just enough information to get you off his case. There is probably more to learn and it would be good to come up with several questions, present them to your husband before the polygraph and then take the three most important questions from the list for the polygraph.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation