Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
T
Originally Posted by living_well
Originally Posted by Zhamila
So I started the day happy because we'd reached a settlement and could finalize the divorce on Thursday. But he started pushing back on new, random little things. I'm getting really tired.
(

Zhamila you and I were married to the same person. Can I make a suggestion? When this happened to me, I came back with a brand new settlement far more favourable to me and surprised him with it. He quickly signed the one he had been haggling over.

That's a really great idea. X2 on that suggestion.

Age - 35
Divorce Final - 3/5/12

S - 13
S - 10
D - 8
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by tccoastguard
So I started the day happy because we'd reached a settlement and could finalize the divorce on Thursday. But he started pushing back on new, random little things. I'm getting really tired.
(

Zhamila you and I were married to the same person. Can I make a suggestion? When this happened to me, I came back with a brand new settlement far more favourable to me and surprised him with it. He quickly signed the one he had been haggling over.

That's a really great idea. X2 on that suggestion.

You guys are reading my mind!! I felt so angry ('cause I had given a ton of ground and he was still haggling over little stuff) that I took it all the way back to what is legally due to me. He now owes me tons more - because I'm using the state-mandated formulas rather than his 'made up' ones. ($15,000)

We might have to litigate, but at this point it will be totally worth it. Even if I spent $5k in court, I'd still come out $10K ahead. And he'll spend $5k in court and still have to pay me the $15k.

Also, he may not realize this yet but we are married filing separately - and all the itemized deductions (house, etc) are in my name only. So he'll have nothing to claim and will have to pay $6000 in taxes this year. I'll pay $250. I was thinking about splitting the taxes with him this year (file jointly) but now there's no way.

Stopping his abusive behavior last year would have been a more cost-effective option for him.crazy

Dang. I feel so much better.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Stopping his abusive behavior last year would have been a more cost-effective option for him.crazy
...not to mention that if he'd taken the deal at the mediator's he would've only paid me $11k and fewer legal fees. AND I would have probably felt guilty/soft-hearted and helped him with the taxes.
Those AOs are getting expensive!! rotflmao

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L

He would have done that if he could have but he was unable to. Now he is trying to spin out the settlement with Plan Obstruct. This has nothing to do with money.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

He would have done that if he could have but he was unable to. Now he is trying to spin out the settlement with Plan Obstruct. This has nothing to do with money.

True, and I would add the word "unable" to the "unwilling." His venom has suprised me: He really believes that he's the innocent party here. This completely blows my mind. dontknow Heard an interesting analogy of abusers: "Someone who sees that his face is dirty and starts washing the mirror."

Today's court appearance came and went without a settlement. So now we'll ramp up for a June trial. weightlifter

And the kids and I leave for vacation in 3 days - whoopie!!! grin

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Have fun!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you NED!

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L
Have a wonderful trip Z!

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
D
D

Wow! Love this.

Z, how are you doing today?

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by DaisyTheCat2
Wow! Love this.
Z, how are you doing today?

Hi there, Daisy and all!

We're back from a fabulous week in the Caribbean. The kiddos and I had a great time in the warm island sun. It was so relaxing to be together, just our little family. smile

And today I got the news that my STBxh accepted the settlement I proposed last week before we left. He's going to pay me 1/2 of what I'm truly owed, but I don't have to pay any more legal fees or fight a long court battle. That's worth the $7.5k to me.

So, it looks like this saga is drawing to a close. Whew!

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Logans_Run
Have a wonderful trip Z!

Thanks Logan! We did have fun.

We zip-lined over Antigua, seg-wayed around St. Lucia, and shopped in San Juan...we even had time for naps every day, and nobody got sunburnt.

I remember our cruise last year with my STBxh, and it wasn't nearly as relaxing or fun. He sort of dominated everything - not intentionally I'm sure - but he has a way of controlling every moment. This vacation was completely different and just what we needed.

We're blessed.

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L
I remember our cruise last year with my STBxh, and it wasn't nearly as relaxing or fun. He sort of dominated everything - not intentionally I'm sure - but he has a way of controlling every moment. This vacation was completely different and just what we needed.

We're blessed.

I know what you mean.......the kids and I have a wonderful time as well.....we actually have alot of fun now taking vacations! We leave for our trip in about a week.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I am so giddy for you! smile

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Logans_Run
I know what you mean.......the kids and I have a wonderful time as well.....we actually have alot of fun now taking vacations! We leave for our trip in about a week.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I am so giddy for you! smile

Thanks Logan!
Hooray for you too! Have FUN!!! dance2

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So I was told yesterday that my H has been wearing his wedding ring at work and acting like nothing unusual has happened. He's even lied about not attending certain work events because of family commitments - with us! He just took off his ring and told people two weeks ago.

I am completely baffled by this behavior. He wasn't wearing the ring when I saw him at the mediator (the only time I've seen him or talked to him in 4 months). And he was ultra-belligerent that day. He's also already found and made an offer to purchase a house - all indications that he had totally moved on.

I can only assume that he is so concerned about his reputation that he pretended all was well. He is a chameleon, putting on whatever character he wants to portray: To me, a blaming man who thinks I am the cause of all the problems and he's glad to move on. To people at work, a poor husband suddenly abandoned by his wife? Who knows.

I must admit that this brings me fresh sadness, and a wish that he had gotten some help. I wanted a great marriage with him but he wouldn't stop controlling and abusing us.

Marriage is much more than wearing a wedding ring. Sigh. sigh

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well tonight was fun - in fact the whole weekend was fun! The kids and I ate out, took along their little friends, saw a couple of movies, and tonight we have another friend over.

It's so lovely to have a happy, free household. I enjoy doing things that make my kiddos happy, and no "competition" or fear of upsetting anyone. smile

And I LOVE being on my own. It's addictive, I'm telling ya. Only a few moments of loneliness here and there.

Still no word on the final settlement - I hope to see it from my attorney soon. I want this done!

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Z, I understand the sadness. I thought he had gotten some temporary help at one point. What happened?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
L
L
Still no word on the final settlement - I hope to see it from my attorney soon. I want this done!

A friend of mine told me to plan on 2 years, so far she has been right. I am yet to see a cent and have been divorced for a year after a 5 year legal battle.

Remember not to breathe a word about your settlement problems to your children, tempting but do not do it.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
L
L
Well tonight was fun - in fact the whole weekend was fun! The kids and I ate out, took along their little friends, saw a couple of movies, and tonight we have another friend over.

It's so lovely to have a happy, free household. I enjoy doing things that make my kiddos happy, and no "competition" or fear of upsetting anyone. smile

And I LOVE being on my own. It's addictive, I'm telling ya. Only a few moments of loneliness here and there.

Enjoying IB as well. It is like a breath a fresh air.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Z, I understand the sadness. I thought he had gotten some temporary help at one point. What happened?

I don't know - I have little contact with him (last email I received was three weeks ago and focused on the settlement - I referred him to the attorneys instead of to me). I am just living my life and moving on. There are times of sadness, and I guess that's just part of the process.

I try not to dig or ask for information - but I heard about the ring thing from an acquaintance, and (to my shame) asked more questions. It really only gave me pause/pain for a few hours, but enough to stay away from the topic next time! wink

"Curiosity killed the cat" eh?

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

A friend of mine told me to plan on 2 years, so far she has been right. I am yet to see a cent and have been divorced for a year after a 5 year legal battle.

Remember not to breathe a word about your settlement problems to your children, tempting but do not do it.

OUCH! So sorry, Living Well. crazy

Good advice not to tell the children anything. It IS tempting, and I won't breathe a word about it. Better to tell my girlfriends, who help me laugh at the drama anyway!

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation