Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
M
Originally Posted by klovelistener
In exposure do you tell friends that live out of state?

IF they are close and can be a support to your family.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
OP Offline
K
I am inclined to not expose POSOM anymore than I have, which was to his wife. Reason being that if the baby is his I don't want to give him any reason to try to weasel his way in (even if only for vengeance.) I am in contact with his wife and I think I will ask her opinion.

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

K
K
Does that mean you haven't exposed to the wife, or...? That first sentence has me a bit confused.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
I am inclined to not expose POSOM anymore than I have, which was to his wife. Reason being that if the baby is his I don't want to give him any reason to try to weasel his way in (even if only for vengeance.) I am in contact with his wife and I think I will ask her opinion.

I agree with you there. I would seriously lay off of him and stay away. You have not told her about the pregnancy, have you? I would just go along as if this is your child and not take any other actions unless you are faced with a court order from ratboy. And if that happens, Dr Harley has very specific instructions that are designed to protect your marriage and keep that rat away: [go read this entire thread and listen to the radio clips, here ]

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
I am revising SAA and it should be in print sometime in 2011, and the problem you raise will be included in it. But it's particularly difficult to address because of our no-contact-with-the-ex-lover rule on the one hand, and the need of a child to have contact with their natural parents on the other. Our radio archives have more on this subject than anything I've written so far, because we've had several listeners call in with this problem, and I describe the approach I take.

As you probably already know by now, I tilt toward keeping the marriage healthy at the possible expense of the child not having adequate contact with the OM. I recommend that at the time of birth, the other man not be mentioned on the birth certificate unless he demands it. That makes your husband the legal parent of the child. If he does demand being on the birth certificate, I recommend that he pay child support until the child is 19. If the OM wants visitation, I recommend that it be done with transparency, so his own family knows what's going on. A mediator, paid by him, is to pick up and deliver the child so that you and your husband never have to have any contact with him.

In almost all cases that I've witnessed, the OM isn't willing to be named on the birth certificate, pay the child support, or make the situation known to his family. Under those conditions, I highly suggest that he not be able to visit his child until he or she is an adult. If an attempt is made, I suggest getting a restraining order. While that policy seems very rigid and uncaring toward the child, the alternatives are usually disastrous. Having an old lover around, the cause of your husband's greatest sadness, has such an devastating effect on the marriage that few survive.

Having heard from some of the couples who have followed this way of thinking, and others who have done the opposite, I am confident that it is the best approach to your situation.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Does that mean you haven't exposed to the wife, or...? That first sentence has me a bit confused.

He DID expose to the OMW but not to any other of his contacts.

Exposure 101

K
K
Ah, okay. Sorry about that.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
Dr Harley discusses why spouses become serial cheaters:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=132#

Exposure 101

W
W
klove

There is a lot of humble pie eaten by both you and WW as you begin to heal. Exposure is embarassing for everyone but that embarassment pales in comparison to healing your marriage. Affairs are like a wound to your body. If the wound is not exposed, it cannot be treated and infection will set in.

I went through the same thought process that you are going through. I trickled my exposure and wish that I hadn't. The problem is, I cannot go back and do it correctly.

PLEASE listen to the vets here. This program works when it is followed precisely. Anything other than that is a gamble at best.

Me - BH 49 years old
Her - WW 43 years old
Married 20 years
D Day Jan 7, 2013
3 kids - DS19, DS17, DS12
#2720178 04/16/13 10:38 PM
K
K
I tried searching the site for a key concept I've seen quoted here, but whether it's fatigue or just total blind spots and it's right in front of my face - I can't find it.

What publication or key concept is it where Harley says,
Never be the source/cause of your spouse's pain.

Or anything close like this.

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
B
B
That is the rule of protection.

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
B
B
Rule of protection
Here you go smile

Me BW: 30
WH: 33
#2720512 04/18/13 02:19 PM
K
OP Offline
K
-My FWW affair physically ended early January, but kept talking to POSOM until D-day 2/2.
-She sent him an email on D-day telling him she would never contact him again, etc etc. I did not get to see this letter, but I do believe her.
-FWW is pregnant, paternity unknown. We fervently wish for POSOM to continue to have no interest in pregnancy
-She has not tried to contact him and he has not tried to contact her
-Exposed to POSOM's wife, they are getting divorced
-Should we do official NC letter in light of the pregnancy and not wanting to give him a reason to change his mind and that there has been no contact for 2 months?

DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

P
P
-My FWW affair physically ended early January, but kept talking to POSOM until D-day 2/2.
-She sent him an email on D-day telling him she would never contact him again, etc etc. I did not get to see this letter, but I do believe her.
-FWW is pregnant, paternity unknown. We fervently wish for POSOM to continue to have no interest in pregnancy
-Should we do official NC letter in light of the pregnancy and not wanting to give him a reason to change his mind and that there has been no contact for 2 months?

If OM drops off the end of the earth .... don't stop him.

No letter.

Pepperband #2720559 04/18/13 08:34 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Pepperband

If OM drops off the end of the earth .... don't stop him.

No letter.
I agree.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2720566 04/18/13 08:48 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thank you both for your thoughts, I was leaning that way as well. I just wish I knew what her letter to him said (completely)

DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

B
B
Thank you both for your thoughts, I was leaning that way as well. I just wish I knew what her letter to him said (completely)
Did you ever ask her what exactly did she say?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H

Chances are, you wouldn't be pleased with it. A fogged out wayward "goodbye" letter, especially from a WW, include nary an admission that the affair was wrong and harmful.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
HoldHerHand #2720596 04/18/13 11:28 PM
K
OP Offline
K
She said that she couldn't see him, needed to focus on family, don't contact, etc. Part of me thinking of doing a NC letter now, was for her to point out to him (he is unrepentant, they are getting divorce because he truly is a POS, ended his last affair 2 months before starting with my wife)how awful the affair was, how selfish and stupid they both were. Maybe make a dent in his pride and selfishness. And like I said, she may have had some lovey, feely stuff in there for him. But I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lay.

DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

B
B
She said that she couldn't see him, needed to focus on family, don't contact, etc. Part of me thinking of doing a NC letter now, was for her to point out to him (he is unrepentant, they are getting divorce because he truly is a POS, ended his last affair 2 months before starting with my wife)how awful the affair was, how selfish and stupid they both were. Maybe make a dent in his pride and selfishness. And like I said, she may have had some lovey, feely stuff in there for him. But I am inclined to let sleeping dogs lay.
Because of the OC dynamic it's best to not contact him. That could/would give him the opportunity to make trouble.

What are her actions showing you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

BrainHurts #2720718 04/19/13 12:14 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the replies.

Her actions are repentant and show a desire to recover.

We'll not do a NC letter and let things go as they are. Thank you all

DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation