Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, I started seeing her through my college's student psych center for grief after the death of a close family member and continued seeing her. I started suffering panic attacks related to my grief.

Once the issues arose in my relationship I felt comfortable seeing her because he seemed to feel comfortable speaking with her and so did I. My therapist was right, I was checked out and she was telling me to make a choice because I saw my relationship as not a big deal but he has a child who he has full custody of and I had them move to be with me and everything and my therapist was trying to get me to understand that even though I was young, I was going to need to put my big girl panties on if I was going to be in a relationship because a kid was being impacted by my indifference. She's straight no chaser and saved my life during my grief. She was NOT getting paid for her work with us because at the time we could not afford it. She saw us because she cares about me.

My issue has always been indifference in our relationship and even though my partner seems like a monster I will say that he put up with quite a bit from me and my own therapist mentioned that while his EA was wrong, she warned me that I needed to make a choice so she is not surprised that we both sought out other people. I really don't know what I want. I like the new guy I talk to - he's my age but at the same time I feel bad that my partner lost 7 years on me. In that time I never made him feel great and I often went out of my way to make it clear to him that I could easily be with someone better. So I'm not totally innocent. I guess it took the EA for me to see just how low he felt about himself.

He did not end up seeing the OW. He actually randomly asked me to log into his email and when I did I saw that he had composed an email telling her to keep the tools because he is committed to his relationship. (Tangent: The other woman sent me a nasty text message sharing that she was in it for a green card and has asked him to marry her so that she could get one and she stated that he would not.) He asked me to click the send button. Before anyone asks, it's her real address because she contact me from it. It was a good gesture but I just feel like we have so much damage and baggage. If we were married I might be certainly sticking around to recover but idk. I feel it's been a great learning experience but I'm not sure I am willing to do the work that would be required to fix things. I don't think I ever was and before I knew it he was turning 40.

Just to clarify, we met on an online forum so he didn't know my age when he fell for me and didn't realize it until I met him in person. We live in different states. He does not normally date women as young as me. In fact the woman he cheated with is older than me (not by many years) but he normally dates women in his age group. I wasn't preyed on. In fact he didn't actually want to be affectionate with me until I was 21 because he felt it was odd to be any earlier. The age gap is not a huge issue- my godparents are 12 years apart and have been married 30 years, I think our combined immaturity has.

What led to the EA's was a summer filled with extreme misbehavior by his son and police and cps intervention. Ultimately we learned that his son was doing all of the lying and misbehaving because he felt I would steal his dad when we married. The child has since come to like me and after months of therapy his behavior is much better. However, while he acted out my partner and I fought terribly and crossed lines with disrespect that neither of us ever thought we would. I mean it was horrible. We could not cope with his son's behavior and we took it out on each other. Now his son is happy to see us together and we are a mess.

Last edited by anony198; 05/11/13 08:45 PM.
G
G
Hi Anony.

welcome to the board.

Originally Posted by anony198
I really don't know what I want. I like the new guy I talk to - he's my age but at the same time I feel bad that my partner lost 7 years on me. In that time I never made him feel great and I often went out of my way to make it clear to him that I could easily be with someone better. So I'm not totally innocent. I guess it took the EA for me to see just how low he felt about himself.

Did I get this right?
You are having an exclusive long distance relation with a father +child for the last 7 years and from what I read YOU have been 'freeloading' the whole ride. You are not getting your needs met and neither is he. You are both seeking out emotional connections outside of your relationship now.

Have you read:
freeloaders, renters & buyers?
His needs, her needs?

A
OP Offline
A
Yes, I have been freeloading. I didn't realize there was a name for it until now.

Last edited by anony198; 05/12/13 11:05 AM.
P
P
How often do you see your fiance?

What led to the EA's was a summer filled with extreme misbehavior by his son and police and cps intervention.

This is my opinion, but there is no excuse for ANY type of affair. I lived in an emotionally abusive and sometimes physically abusive marriage and I never once strayed. Both of you need to work on yourselves individually. If it's meant to be, he will still be there for you when you fix yourself. If not, there is someone out there far better that will meet your needs.

Me (BS): 41
Ex (lying cheating piece of dirt): 43
Kids: 12 DD, 6 DS
Married 17 years
I filed: 9/25/10
Divorce final: 10/4/11
He remarried: 10/15/11

My current status: Healing a little more every day!
M
M
Just to clarify, we met on an online forum so he didn't know my age when he fell for me and didn't realize it until I met him in person. We live in different states. He does not normally date women as young as me.

Did he tell you he was in his mid-thirties, married and had a kid?

What online forum hooks up teenagers with old married men from different states?

How and where did you meet the first time?

Sounds exactly how the a former poster here "preyed upon" his ex-wife. Offer some young troubled girl online support and comfort for a long enough time to establish an emotional connection before hesitantly meeting them and allowing them to discover that they are much older than they realized or even considered but by then...they are in luv.

You are 23...you have no idea now but someday you will come to understand that you WERE preyed upon. He likely flipped it around on you...like your youth was a problem for him being with you but that was just an act. He knew what he was doing the whole time. A thirty something guy KNOWS when he's conversing with a teenager on a forum.

Move on. Find a husband and not a daddy.

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
P
P
Oh yeah ..... It does sound familiar.

A
A
Married man having affair with a teenager online and now 7 years later. I'm sorry, but this is only the tip of the iceberg. You've never slept with him? I can only imagine that he has had several girlfriends in the meantime while you have been abroad. A man who cheats on his WIFE will certainly have no loyalty to a young girl at a distance who he has never even slept with.

Have you met his ex-wife? Do you even know if he is actually divorced?

On the other hand, he was married when you met him. As much as this hurts you, it is probably nothing compared to some poor woman who may or may not know her husband was trolling for teenage girls online. Consider it karma and move on.

Last edited by alis; 05/13/13 11:02 AM.
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your advice and the kind way you offered it to me.

A
OP Offline
A
I'm not 23. I always knew his age and that he had a son. He lied about being single.

It wasn't a dating site, it was a well known q&a forum and he IMed me because I was a top rated commentator. He had no idea I was as young as I was because I didn't advertise that lest I be taken less seriously on the forum by people regarding my knowledge of law and politics.

We met in my hometown and he had to agree to allow my older brother to stay with us the entire time. I asked him to meet. He admitted that he just thought we'd remain chat buddies.

We actually didn't begin dating until years later when I started graduate school. I didn't want to be a step mom very young.

I agree that he likely appreciated and used the ignorance that came with my age. He was sloppy though because I found the marriage certificate when I performed a background check on him online. I decided to look it up after I tagged along to check him into a hotel when he visited me and was called his wife's name by the desk clerk. I then confirmed it with his mom. He had already given me a copy of his criminal background check, he was totally honest about that.

Originally Posted by MrWondering
Just to clarify, we met on an online forum so he didn't know my age when he fell for me and didn't realize it until I met him in person. We live in different states. He does not normally date women as young as me.

Did he tell you he was in his mid-thirties, married and had a kid?

What online forum hooks up teenagers with old married men from different states?

How and where did you meet the first time?

Sounds exactly how the a former poster here "preyed upon" his ex-wife. Offer some young troubled girl online support and comfort for a long enough time to establish an emotional connection before hesitantly meeting them and allowing them to discover that they are much older than they realized or even considered but by then...they are in luv.

You are 23...you have no idea now but someday you will come to understand that you WERE preyed upon. He likely flipped it around on you...like your youth was a problem for him being with you but that was just an act. He knew what he was doing the whole time. A thirty something guy KNOWS when he's conversing with a teenager on a forum.

Move on. Find a husband and not a daddy.

Mr. W

A
OP Offline
A
I did meet the wife and despite his story of them only being legally married, I apologized to her and I told her I had no idea. She was mean to me but I told her that I understood I was the outsider even if I was lied to. Eventually she said she respected the way I approached her and that she knew I had no ill intent. She warned me about his temper and said that she would co-file for the divorce to make it easier for us to be together because he had told her and his family months ago that he was in love with me. She said he didn't keep me a secret from her and she was only interested in keeping her relationship with his young son, since she was the only mom he knew. I verified the divorce with the clerk and didn't allow him to contact me for the 90 days it took to finalize it. He is legally divorced.

I don't believe it's karma because I approached his wife with respect and I had no idea he was married. He never even got a hug from me until the divorce was final. I respect marriage. To this day she and I are fine. I also think I was very nice to her because she's old enough to be my aunt and I respect my elders.

A
A
Respect is terminating the relationship when you found out he was married and carrying on an affair with you. At that point, all that has happened since then, is a lifestyle that you have accepted. Believe me, I am not speaking to you as an ex-wife, but a young girl who was in your shoes a decade ago. How can you say you respect marriage when you continued a relationship with a man who was married? That is ludicrous. You are in your own "fog" to believe such a thing.

RE: Karma

The saying is old but very wise. You left a job opening when you became his "official" woman.

Last edited by alis; 05/13/13 05:40 PM.
G
G
anony, I honestly believe you were tricked into this relationship. You were lied to from the beginning.
The fact you have been freeloading for 7 years, is proof you do not trust the situation you are in either.

It took a lot of guts to approach his wife and to be honest with her. I respect that. But WHY are you NOT being HONEST with YOURSELF?

You were lied to!
Your relationship is based on a lie!
The kid already has a mother who is willing to sacrifice her own needs and relationship.
To an outsider, like myself, your fiance is changing in is his aging wife for a new younger version.

Why don't you trust your gut feeling?
This is wrong and you know & feel it!

A
OP Offline
A
I appreciate your comment. I did leave, I immediately went no contact and didn't resume with him until the divorce was final. It was about 3 months before I started taking to him again. From what I was told by his family, he and the ex wife were only legally married and both seeing other people. So it was more dating before divorcing. Still I would not continue without proof of a dissolved marriage and speaking to his ex wife. I didn't create karma. I will admit he used my age and ignorance because what teenager will think to check marital status?

A
OP Offline
A
I really appreciate your comment. I agree, I was tricked. I feel like my ability to choose was taken away.

His ex wasn't his son's biological mother, the bio mom has no parental rights.

Im stuck because I've been here so long and he is all I know while the new guy is young and just great. I want to believe I fell for a good person.

The women he cheated with is older than me.

G
G
Anony,

It's not because he got the paperworks done now, your relationship will not be based on a lie in the future.
You cannot erase what has been done in the past!
multiple affairs, kid, ex-wife, bio-moms...

I think your doubts are sincere and you should trust your feeling. Cut contact and date this young guy (and plenty more like him)

P
P
Something I learned:

You do not have to *hate* the person you are dating in order to recognize that he/she is not the right one for you.
Dating for a long, long time is not a valid reason to remain with the wrong person.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation