Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hopes Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well we had a couple more arguments but I think we actually accomplished something. I found out he felt lonely and unloved was the reason he had an affair. I am in complete shock that he even felt that way. I know I am rough around the edges but I never intended him to feel like that. I got a lot of work to do on my self or so it seems. I am going to get that log out of my eye before we address his speck.

The weird thing is that me having bipolar disorder I feel things much more deeply than most people. I learned that in group therapy at the hospital. So I actually do love him and probably more than he would even imagine or more than a normal person. I don't know how he felt unloved but I am going to do everything humanly possible to make this up to him.

I asked Jesus to make me a better wife and mother because I seem to always fail. So again I am asking him for help, he is probably sick of me bugging him all the time wanting His help lol.

Anyway think we are in recovery now and I still have my copy of His needs her needs from before. I am going to read it again.

Thanks for listening
Hugs
Hopes

Jesus Freak DC Talks
Gone Tobymac
M
M
Hopes, blaming yourself for his affair is not a solution, it is a distraction. Your husband is a serial cheater and he does not cheat because of something you did or didn't do, but because he is out looking for it. It does not happen by accident in other words.

Until he makes a dramatic and radical change in his lifestyle, this will not change. And blaming you for his adultery indicates he has no intention of changing.

God has inspired the creation of the Marriage Builders program and I believe he led you here for that reason. Marriage Builders holds the solution for your marriage problems, but for some reason, you seem intent on IGNORING the program entirely.

You have no plan for the recovery of your marriage and having no plan is a plan to fail.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Hopes
Anyway think we are in recovery now and I still have my copy of His needs her needs from before. I am going to read it again.

You are not in recovery. His Needs, Her Needs, is not the right book. You need Survivng an Affair. Here is what it will take to recover your marriage:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

Your nightmares are only the tip of the iceberg. They are but a small reflection of the suffering you experienced when you discovered your husband's affair, and the fear you have that the suffering will be repeated. You have no assurance that the affair is over because you don't even know who the other woman is. You are being asked to trust your husband, who has already proven to be untrustworthy. For all you know, he could be working with her, or you could be going to the same church, or she could be
your neighbor. And since he won't discuss the details of how the affair took place, you have no assurance that another affair will not take its place.

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I asked Jesus to make me a better wife and mother because I seem to always fail. So again I am asking him for help, he is probably sick of me bugging him all the time wanting His help lol.

Jesus is probably sick of sending you the help you need and being IGNORED. How can he help you if you IGNORE HIM?

Exposure 101

Hopes, you are not in recovery. Sorry. Not even close.

You might be in 'sweep it under the rug recovery' but not real MB recovery.

You are a long way away...only when you incorporate Dr Harley's teachings the right way will you find yourself moving in the right directon.

Sorry to tell you but you are setting yourself up for failure.

Ask yourself this question:
Has what you have been doing so far worked? Why?

P
P
OK, if you are in recovery, can you post the list of EP's your WH agreed to following?

M
M
Hopes, my friend, you are not in recovery, you are in denial.

And you are ignoring all of your friends here who care about you and want to help you.

Please keep your hospital bags packed.

Why do you post to us and then ignore what we have to say? Why do you expect things to get better when you reject wise counsel?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Jesus is probably sick of sending you the help you need and being IGNORED. How can he help you if you IGNORE HIM?

Jesus keeps sending you a liferaft, and you keep refusing to get on it, saying "Jesus will save me!" I imagine He is shaking His head.

Why did Jesus lead you here if you are just going to ignore everything we say?

The only thing we can do is sound a loud warning to everyone reading your thread not to do this, because you are going to wind up worse than things were before. I can't believe you would think you have the right to publicly be a bad example for other people like this.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I found out he felt lonely and unloved was the reason he had an affair.
Typical blame-shifting comment for a wayward. YOU didn't love him enough. dramaqueen
I am in complete shock that he even felt that way.
I'm sure you are. Because that's not why he screwed around on you.
I am going to get that log out of my eye before we address his speck.
You're minimizing the damage he has done to you and your marriage. Why are you giving him this free pass? Do you think recovery is too hard? Do you understand that divorce or other affairs will be ever so much harder?? doh2

The weird thing is that me having bipolar disorder I feel things much more deeply than most people.
How do you know that? How do you know how deeply I feel? Or anyone else here, or in the world? You DON'T. Neither does your therapist. Or your psychiatrist. They are charlatans if they claim that. So that's not a free pass, either. naughty

Anyway think we are in recovery now and I still have my copy of His needs her needs from before.
You are deluding yourself. I am very alarmed for you.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

P
P
God Will Help Me

There was a very religious man named Jim, who lived near a river. One
day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and Jim was
forced to climb onto his porch roof. While sitting there, a man in a
boat came along and told Jim to get in the boat with him.
Jim said, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me."
So, the man in the boat drove off.
The water rose higher, so Jim climbed onto his roof. At that time,
another boat came along, and the person in that one told Jim to get
in.
Jim replied, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me."
The person in the boat then left.
The water rose even more, and Jim climbed onto his chimney. A
helicopter came along and lowered a ladder for him. The woman in the
helicopter told Jim to climb up the ladder and get in.
Jim said, "That's okay."
The woman said, "Are you sure?"
Jim replied, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me."
Finally, the water rose too high and Jim drowned. Jim got to heaven
and was face-to-face with God.
Jim said to God, "You told me that you would take care of me! What
happened?"
God replied, "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else
did you want?"

The MB version

God Will Help Me

There was a very religious man named Jim, who's wife had an affair. One
day, Jim found out about the affair. His WW admitted to it being an emotional affair and Jim found MB.

Jim started posting on the forum and the vets came to his rescue.

So, the vets went and posted to others in need.

Several years later, Jim found that his WW was in another affair and admitted it was an affair.

Jim returned to the MB forum and the vets came out to his rescue again.
Jim replied, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me." The vets left.

The abuse continued with blame shifting, playing victim by the WW and justifications. Jim posts in recovery, because now he knows why his WW had affairs and they can get past it.

The vets come out again and tell Jim, this is not recovery, this is sweeping things under the rug and present Jim with a plan for recovery.

Jim said, "That's okay."
The vets said, "No it's not"
Jim replied, "Yeah, God will take care of me."

Finally, the abuse rose too high and Jim couldn't handle it any longer. Jim got to heaven at the end of his life and was face-to-face with God.

happened?"
God replied, "Well, I sent you the vets at MB. What else
did you want?"

L
L
Great post PN.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"...... The Shawshank Redemption.
B
B
Please read this and listen to the clips in here.

Serial Cheaters

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Also, will you contact Dr. Harley?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Awesome post, pine needle! This poster is in serious denial and I hope she will wake up and start facing reality.

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by Pineneedle
God Will Help Me

There was a very religious man named Jim, who lived near a river. One
day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and Jim was
forced to climb onto his porch roof. While sitting there, a man in a
boat came along and told Jim to get in the boat with him.
So, the man in the boat drove off.
The water rose higher, so Jim climbed onto his roof. At that time,
another boat came along, and the person in that one told Jim to get
in.
Jim replied, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me."
The person in the boat then left.
The water rose even more, and Jim climbed onto his chimney. A
helicopter came along and lowered a ladder for him. The woman in the
helicopter told Jim to climb up the ladder and get in.
Jim said, "That's okay."
The woman said, "Are you sure?"
Jim replied, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me."
Finally, the water rose too high and Jim drowned. Jim got to heaven
and was face-to-face with God.
happened?"
God replied, "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else
did you want?"

The MB version

God Will Help Me

There was a very religious man named Jim, who's wife had an affair. One
day, Jim found out about the affair. His WW admitted to it being an emotional affair and Jim found MB.

Jim started posting on the forum and the vets came to his rescue.

So, the vets went and posted to others in need.

Several years later, Jim found that his WW was in another affair and admitted it was an affair.

Jim returned to the MB forum and the vets came out to his rescue again.
Jim replied, "No, that's okay. God will take care of me." The vets left.

The abuse continued with blame shifting, playing victim by the WW and justifications. Jim posts in recovery, because now he knows why his WW had affairs and they can get past it.

The vets come out again and tell Jim, this is not recovery, this is sweeping things under the rug and present Jim with a plan for recovery.

Jim said, "That's okay."
The vets said, "No it's not"
Jim replied, "Yeah, God will take care of me."

Finally, the abuse rose too high and Jim couldn't handle it any longer. Jim got to heaven at the end of his life and was face-to-face with God.

happened?"
God replied, "Well, I sent you the vets at MB. What else
did you want?"
Nice Pine.

Love it.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
Hopes Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yeah your right. I was in denial. I cant do this anymore. I told him its over tonight. We can be friends but that's it. My head is still messed up and I wish I had some of my old friends from here to talk to. But you guys were right, I just cant ignore this or sweep it under the rug and I deserve so much better than this.

Jesus Freak DC Talks
Gone Tobymac
H
Hopes Offline OP
OP Offline
H
You know the messed up thing? He didn't even shed a tear, nothing. 20 years and not one tear? Truthfully I didn't either. Guess it shows the marriage is truly dead. Oh well, time to get myself together. Thanks again.

Jesus Freak DC Talks
Gone Tobymac
M
M
Hopes, I am sorry for what you are feeling and going through. This man has caused you no end of pain, down to the point of putting you in the hospital multiple times! I am glad, for your sake, that you are getting away from him, and I suggest that you NOT try to be friends with him, because every contact with him is going to set you back. Get away, clear your head, take care of YOU, and see how much better you feel when you are no longer thinking about him and the trauma he has put you through.

Trying to be friends with him is like a rape victim trying to continue to be friends with the rapist. The trauma he has put you through is worse than the trauma rape victims endure. And in both cases the best plan of recovery includes separating from the source of the trauma and building a new life.

M
M
Yeah your right. I was in denial. I cant do this anymore. I told him its over tonight. We can be friends but that's it. My head is still messed up and I wish I had some of my old friends from here to talk to. But you guys were right, I just cant ignore this or sweep it under the rug and I deserve so much better than this.
Hopes, did your old friends help you recover your marriage before? I don't think they did. What friends are you looking for, exactly? They're no longer on this site?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
Hopes Offline OP
OP Offline
H
No one really. They were just nice to me during his deployment and stuff like that. I don't really have anyone here to talk to but it don't really matter.

He still has not moved out. He says it might take him a while. I really hope this works out for him cause I am still pretty angry sometimes over this. I am sleeping on the loveseat. Might be better if he gets out sooner than later. I think he thinks I am going to change my mind but I am not.

Anyway this will even sound crazier but I decided to give my life to the Lord and go it alone for now on. I am not going to turn catholic but just stay here alone. I have had two bad marriages fail and I can do bad all by myself. Tired of dealing with men's [censored].

Jesus Freak DC Talks
Gone Tobymac
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation