Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 67 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 66 67
L
L
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
I'd say she does suffer from some situational depression. Mostly related to the kids and the feeling of having no "real" job. She does not go to IC.

I figured as much. If she is not enthusiastic about the current situation then a discussion would be good to come up with ideas that she is happy with and not sacrificing.

I've told her that maybe she could not watch these kids anymore, but she feels obligated to the people she told that she would watch them.

She also feels that i would not be OK with her teaching again. To be honest, I'm not real comfortable with it.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with her working outside the home at all to be honest. She used it as an escape from home life and built her secret second life there. I think she is happiest when away from me and the children period. I'm afraid that kind of situation leaves her open to an A again.

You have been on the Harley's radio program, and as such, you can always email for further advice on your situation and how to move ahead.

Do you think you might want to consider doing this?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
You have been on the Harley's radio program, and as such, you can always email for further advice on your situation and how to move ahead.

Do you think you might want to consider doing this?

I suppose I could. I mostly wish I could get my W to just talk to me about it honestly. Maybe emailing the show might help.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
We were in the car on the way to our destination Friday night. It was a 3.5 hour drive. Somewhere along the way, I suggested we listed to the day's radio show. We were listening to the part where Dr. H was talking about the POJA and how following that would make the caller happy and something along the lines of clearing up her depression. My W said "I don't agree with that at all!"

This prompted me to ask what she meant. She mentioned two things specifically. One was having to ask "permission" to go to the grocery store. Another was having a job so she had "her own money." She doesn't like the fact that she can't just buy something whenever she wants with "her money".

I have to say, this scares me a little bit.

Let me tell you, I think Prisca and I were exactly in that situation! She kept saying "permission" as well, which I found very distressing.

I am pretty sure she doesn't feel that way any more. I am pretty sure that what changed was, she fell in love with me, and now her emotions prompt her to WANT to make sure that the life we build together is compatible.

Let me give you a great radio show to listen to:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=03324
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=03325
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=03326
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=03327

Hang in there because her feelings WILL change, even if she presently disagrees with and hates the POJA.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F
I've been thinking today about what motivates me to want to work on this marriage. I think that logically I want to be a part of my children's lives full time. But hey, I can get that by just going along back to how things always were. We can live together like roommates and I'll have all the access I want to my children.

So why go through all of the trouble of trying to get my wife to love me? Why go through all the trouble of EPs and POJA and PORH and all of that?

It's simple. I know the pain of infidelity and I never want to feel it again. EVER! It is absolutely the worst thing that has ever happened to me. And the pain lasts a long time. YEARS! Just the threat of experiencing that pain again makes me want to have a loving passionate marriage or none at all. It's not worth the risk to live with someone who is not in love with you and who is not willing to protect you from the kind of emotional harm that comes with infidelity. Heck, even willing isn't enough! Motivated is more like it.

Promises to never do it again are not enough. There must be change. Without change it is too risky.

But people have to be motivated to change. My motivation comes from the constant reminder of how much it hurts. But a WS can't feel that. So what highly motivates a WS or FWS? What lights a fire in there belly?

Last edited by FightTheFight; 06/26/13 01:16 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
But people have to be motivated to change. My motivation comes from the constant reminder of how much it hurts. But a WS can't feel that. So what highly motivates a WS or FWS? What lights a fire in there belly?

Let's break it down and distinguish between a wayward husband versus a wayward wife. If you blend those together, you run the risk of missing some very important distinctions Dr. Harley makes in his recovery advice.

Now that I've said that - did you listen to the radio show I linked above?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos

Let's break it down and distinguish between a wayward husband versus a wayward wife. If you blend those together, you run the risk of missing some very important distinctions Dr. Harley makes in his recovery advice.

Now that I've said that - did you listen to the radio show I linked above?

Yes I did. I've listened to it before and I listened to it again just today.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
And I have to say, I don't think Steve went through with it. He sounded done to me.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
And I have to say, I don't think Steve went through with it. He sounded done to me.

He didn't.

But I did.

It worked. smile

M
M
Hey, I've discovered something important you guys are missing on your dates. The conversation is not working. For your wife, you really need to make that the emphasis. Talk LOTS about something ENJOYABLE. What do you guys like in the news? What movies/books have you seen/read? What hobbies/interests do you like to talk about?

This seems to be why it's not working.

Call Dr. Harley and get some help with conversation.

B
B
How are things?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
How are things?

Just reading along and taking notes...

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Did you guys discuss the friends and enemies of good conversation last night?

Have you discussed the problem of criticism (disrespectful judgments)?

F
OP Offline
F
Did you guys discuss the friends and enemies of good conversation last night?

Briefly.

Have you discussed the problem of criticism (disrespectful judgments)?

Not with specific feedback. Although I do recognize it most of the time, (I think?) but not other times. For example, this morning, I immediately apologized for the comment about "That wasn't a good idea" but totally missed the "It's just going over there now" as she was cleaning it up.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Good. These seem to be the areas where you need to tune up a bit in order to cross the romantic love threshold.

B
B
Can you review the chapter about DJs in Love Busters?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Can you review the chapter about DJs in Love Busters?

Yes, I'll get it out tonight. We even have a newer version I got from the radio show in January.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Good - the newer version has a lot more information about AOs if I remember right, and probably about DJs as well. smile

By the way, there is also some information about DJs in the conversation chapter in HNHN, and you guys probably need to go over that whole chapter, too. I think the number one reason things aren't "clicking" yet is that conversation is not yet good enough to meet her need well.

F
OP Offline
F
Good - the newer version has a lot more information about AOs if I remember right, and probably about DJs as well. smile

By the way, there is also some information about DJs in the conversation chapter in HNHN, and you guys probably need to go over that whole chapter, too. I think the number one reason things aren't "clicking" yet is that conversation is not yet good enough to meet her need well.

Maybe so. The conversation part is going to be harder. For the DJs and LBs in general, I can see a clear path to recover from it. Make the lists, keep track of them, eliminate them systematically.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Oh, and we read about half of the DJ chapter in Love Busters last night. I've heard Dr Harley say that he probably made the chapters too long. He is right. smile But there is a lot of good info in there. We'll finish it tonight hopefully.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
L
Oh, and we read about half of the DJ chapter in Love Busters last night. I've heard Dr Harley say that he probably made the chapters too long. He is right. smile But there is a lot of good info in there. We'll finish it tonight hopefully.

We would read aloud together only 2 or 3 pages each night and then talk about it. We found that, especially with the love busters, reading much more than that was, for us, depressing. But we could handle a little at a time, discuss safely, then move on to something fun. Then the next night, we'd start where we left off.

Even now, we go through Draw Close. Every night, my H reads that one devotional while we lie in bed together. We never ever want to forget.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
Page 28 of 67 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 66 67

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation