Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
I think you misunderstood what Dr. Harley was saying. He was stating what many people would argue in this situation but he doesn't agree with that position. He does not agree with the idea at all that since it's just for a season live with it. He often presents the most common opposing arguments to what he has learned about marriage in order to show that those ways don't work over time and lead to a broken down marriage.

The idea I got is that hunting is out because you're not going to be able to change your emotional reaction to it and because she finds hunting with or without you more enjoyable than any other recreation she has with you.

And does scheduling hunting after your UA time is checked off the list really address your problem?
LTL
Thanks for clarifying that. I was a bit confused at first. We are going to keep brain storming ideas. DW likes the idea of hunting with another woman and me doing something else at the same time.

But only if we can find another RC for us would that work right?

Me 59 newly married after being a widow
Married 1 year
L
L

I think Dr. Harley would advise no hunting until you two are in love with each other and having a romantic marriage. He didn't advise negotiating how hunting could be worked in, he advised negotiating a new lifestyle WITHOUT it.

The solution that she hunts with a woman companion while you do something else is a solution found in what Dr. Harley calls an anarchy relationship, and at least for now won't help you two become integrated.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
T
T
Did WW hunt with the OM?

Did WW use hunting as a way to cover her affair?

W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
I think Dr. Harley would advise no hunting until you two are in love with each other and having a romantic marriage. He didn't advise negotiating how hunting could be worked in, he advised negotiating a new lifestyle WITHOUT it.

The solution that she hunts with a woman companion while you do something else is a solution found in what Dr. Harley calls an anarchy relationship, and at least for now won't help you two become integrated.
I do not even want the appearance of IB. We have talked about it and She agrees we can not allow our UA time to slip. What we are struggling with is finding something that compares to it for her.

We have been each others only RC partners for the past two years. What ever we do separate I understand it would have to be in addition to what we do together.

DW says she is open to trying new RC. I guess we just haven't brainstormed it enough.

Married 1 year
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Did WW hunt with the OM?

Did WW use hunting as a way to cover her affair?
No wasn't anything like that. We had such IB that I never suspected a thing. She didn't need to cover it I never checked. She would just leave as if to go to work but would have called in to take the day off.

Hunting is in the backyard we live so far out in the sticks. smile

Married 1 year
S
S
Originally Posted by wle2
We have been each others only RC partners for the past two years. What ever we do separate I understand it would have to be in addition to what we do together.

DW says she is open to trying new RC. I guess we just haven't brainstormed it enough.
Somewhere, I have either read, or I have listened to, Dr H talk about a couple he worked with where the man's hobby was golf. The hobby took many hours away from his marriage, and the marriage was in crisis, but the man refused to countenance the idea that he could ever find anything as enjoyable as golf (which his wife couldn't play, or hated playing, or something).

In the end, he had a bad injury and couldn't play, and was forced to spend time with his wife. They found such enjoyable things to do that he never wanted to go back to golf, even when he could.

I haven't told this story at all well because I can't remember all the details, but I hope you get my point. Your wife could give up hunting today and be happier than ever if the two of you could make your time together great. None of us needs to do any one specific hobby to be happy. We just need to be happy with our spouse.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by SugarCane

Somewhere, I have either read, or I have listened to, Dr H talk about a couple he worked with where the man's hobby was golf. The hobby took many hours away from his marriage, and the marriage was in crisis, but the man refused to countenance the idea that he could ever find anything as enjoyable as golf (which his wife couldn't play, or hated playing, or something).

In the end, he had a bad injury and couldn't play, and was forced to spend time with his wife. They found such enjoyable things to do that he never wanted to go back to golf, even when he could.

I haven't told this story at all well because I can't remember all the details, but I hope you get my point. Your wife could give up hunting today and be happier than ever if the two of you could make your time together great. None of us needs to do any one specific hobby to be happy. We just need to be happy with our spouse.

Thanks SugarCane,
I do get your point. I heard the same story on the radio program. That is where I heard Dr. mention the contrast effect between the H golf earlier in the day and anything he and his W did the rest of the day. To the H nothing he and his W did together would be as enjoyable to him. That is why I thought Dr. Harley told him to give up golf.

That is what I am concerned about and why I E-Mailed the radio show. We are doing so well I do not want to leave any stone uncovered that might hinder or MR. We started out 33 years ago being each others best friends and favorite RC. Got married had kids and worked different shifts and I stopped making my M a priority. I know better now thanks to MB.

I may tend to over scrutinize every aspect of my M but complete neglect is how I ended up here. We are recovered enough that we do not have to be with each other 24/7. I just want to be sure that we stay above that romantic threshold.

We have time to discuss this since the season is a couple of weeks yet. Also we will be away for our up coming 31st wedding anniversary.

Married 1 year
B
B
I don't think you're over scrutinizing.

I think you're protecting your marriage and making it your priority. I say keep going, friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
On the way to church last night DW asked me how would I feel if we were to sell our hunting dogs and all the collars and the dog box. We have been talking about going away over night more but have to find someone to care for the critters.

This came out of the blue but I am encouraged to hear that she is giving other ideas some thought. She reiterated that she is open to other RC ideas after listening to the radio show.

I have to admit this is a new , but awesome way to have a relationship.

Married 1 year
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Just wanted to tell you guys about the amazing statement my DW made to me. We were discussing our RC and she said, "Really, when the weekend comes I am excited about just doing things with you doesn't matter what it is."

WOW, I love me some MB!

DW is off for the next week and we are celebrating our 31st. wedding anniversary this upcoming week!

Married 1 year
L
L
Wonderful to hear how things are going with you. And congratulations on your wedding anniversary!

dance2

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
Just wanted to tell you guys about the amazing statement my DW made to me. We were discussing our RC and she said, "Really, when the weekend comes I am excited about just doing things with you doesn't matter what it is."

WOW, I love me some MB!

DW is off for the next week and we are celebrating our 31st. wedding anniversary this upcoming week!

hurray

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B

WOW, I love me some MB!

That is so wonderful wle. hurray

Have an excellent anniversary, friend.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We had a great week celebrating our anniversary thank you for the well wishes.

Married 1 year
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thank's BH!

We are still working on finding other RC ideas. The time we are spending together is still high and the RC ranges from trips to festivals, antique stores in different city's,long walks, fishing, coffee around the fire pit and my favorite we stay in bed until noon on Saturday smile...Wait does that count?

DW asked about learning to trap shoot which I did in the past so that is one idea we are thinking about. DW also asked about the two of us taking a class together of some sort.

I just hope we can find the replacement that DW will enjoy as much. We are having fun trying new things.

Married 1 year
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hey guys I need some help with UA ideas. My DW had an injury and has been laid up for 4 weeks. She is going stir crazy but needs to stay off her feet to avoid surgery.
Jig saw puzzle done, cards played, any ideas??
We have been having our own Bible study, we listen to the radio program together just about every day and have great discussions about what we hear.
I was wondering what else we can do while she is recovering.I have thought about a wheel chair and going to a park since she is such an outdoors girl.

Married 1 year
E
E
Since the Holidays are coming, you guys can decorate your own christmas cards. Or you can knit your own Christmas stockings. smile

A wheel chair is a great idea to get her outdoors, too

Wishing Mrs. Wle2 a speedy recovery!

Last edited by Rocketqueen; 11/19/13 03:39 PM.
W
wle2 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
Since the Holidays are coming, you guys can decorate your own christmas cards. Or you can knit your own Christmas stockings. smile

A wheel chair is a great idea to get her outdoors, too

Wishing Mrs. Wle2 a speedy recovery!

Thanks RQ!

She is very artistic that might work for her.

We go to the doctor today praying for good news!

Married 1 year
M
M
I was wondering what else we can do while she is recovering.I have thought about a wheel chair and going to a park since she is such an outdoors girl.
There may be alternatives to a wheelchair. It depends on the injury. My DD had a broken ankle, and was able to get a scooter that supported her injured leg while permitting her to move around with the uninjured one.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation