Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2LLP Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all. I don't think I'm here looking for "the right answer", maybe I am, I really just don't know. I do know that when I discovered my wife affair this website and Dr. Harley's books saved my marriage and probably even my life. So I guess I'm coming back to what I know worked last time. The short story is my wife had an affair in 2005/06, I found out, she slowly divulged everything. It was a text book affair, discovery and recovery. Now 7 years later I find myself losing the battle within. My marriage now is good, even very good but I am catching myself interested in online chatting with other women. I feel terrible about it and I know it is this same kind of behavior that caused my wife's affair years ago. I can tell something is missing in my life right now. I don't know what it is, although I'm no dummy, I realize I am creating my own problems at this point. The chatting is very minor right now but I know how things slowly, imperceptibly get out of hand. I am wanting so badly to feel whole with my wife. Its easy to say "stop chatting online" its a no brainer but it goes beyond that. I am hoping that just this simple written admission of my problem, fear, issues will somehow trigger the beginning of healing again.

Last edited by 2LLP; 02/14/14 11:24 AM.

BS(me)-41
FWS(wife)-39
D-11
D-13
S-15
Dday-1 10/05/05
Dday-2 06/02/06
Dday-3 07/14/06
Married - 17 years, together 23
My story - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/sho...rt=1&PHPSESSID=
B
B
Have you told your wife about this?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

2LLP Offline OP
OP Offline
No I haven't. I really try not to bring up how her affair still affects me because it sounds like I'm stewing over it and cant just get over it. I suppose that's not a good answer but that's the reason.

BS(me)-41
FWS(wife)-39
D-11
D-13
S-15
Dday-1 10/05/05
Dday-2 06/02/06
Dday-3 07/14/06
L
L
You should tell your wife what you are doing. How else can you keep each other accountable except by being radically honest about all of your activities.

Like any habit that is not good for you, you need to end the online chatting, close your love bank to every woman except your wife, and put a keylogger on your computer with reports sent to your wife. Some people get rid of their computer or are only the computer when their spouse is right there next to them.

Then examine the conditions leading to the online chatting. Are you spending 15 hours of UA time together every week, making it the most enjoyable time of your week, meeting each others ENs and avoiding love busters?

It's not fair to withhold this information from your wife.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
2LLP Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like to have her and I start re-reading one of Dr. Harley's books. We both read them together soon after her affair and they gave profound advice. Based on my current situation which book would you suggest we (or I) start with?

BS(me)-41
FWS(wife)-39
D-11
D-13
S-15
Dday-1 10/05/05
Dday-2 06/02/06
Dday-3 07/14/06
B
B
Originally Posted by 2LLP
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like to have her and I start re-reading one of Dr. Harley's books. We both read them together soon after her affair and they gave profound advice. Based on my current situation which book would you suggest we (or I) start with?
What about the online program? Can you sign up for that?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

2LLP Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not familiar with that. What is it?

BS(me)-41
FWS(wife)-39
D-11
D-13
S-15
Dday-1 10/05/05
Dday-2 06/02/06
Dday-3 07/14/06
B
B
I'm not familiar with that. What is it?
Here you go.
Courses, Seminar, Accountability

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
L

Before you do anything else, your wife needs to know what you've been doing. It's not going to help the situation if you and she start reading a marriage book while she's in the dark about the threat to her marriage.

First tell her, then ask her to join you in reading Surviving an Affair. After reading SAA, it would be a great idea to ask how she feels about signing up for the Online Program or just re-reading HNHN and LB.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like

You changed the subject like it was a third rail, there.

I would suggest you read GloveOil's story.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Originally Posted by markos
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like

You changed the subject like it was a third rail, there.

I would suggest you read GloveOil's story.
Good call.

Here GloveOil's- It was an ordinary day here

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like to have her and I start re-reading one of Dr. Harley's books.

I would start with the truth FIRST. And I would also get Dr Harley's new edition of Surviving an Affair. He revised the book last year.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I agree, I need to tell her. I would first like to have her and I start re-reading one of Dr. Harley's books.

I would start with the truth FIRST. And I would also get Dr Harley's new edition of Surviving an Affair. He revised the book last year.
When will you be telling your wife?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
2LLP ~

We were here around the same time, years ago. What a long road it's been! It's been 5 days and I hope you come back to read this thread.

You already know this but you need to beef up your EPs. You both need to be following them. My husband I both follow the same EPs. They are not different for him just because he had the A. They are the same for me. If this was the case you would not find yourself in the position you are in today. And obviously you need to tell your wife ASAP; there's no negotiation on this.

That's a good start. After that is done you can start reading the books and do the questionnaires. And start spending 15+ hours per week alone together. That should get you going! Come back here and post for help smile

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
H
H
No I haven't. I really try not to bring up how her affair still affects me because it sounds like I'm stewing over it and cant just get over it. I suppose that's not a good answer but that's the reason.

Well, when you create a contrast effect by chatting up other women, you WILL stew about the affair.

That is why restoring Romantic Love in your marriage is key; if you are overwhelmingly in love with your wife, her affair will be miniscule in comparison.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation