Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
Originally Posted by lovechickens
I'm a step mom. My husband and I rarely are on the same page. Recently my 18 year old step daughter asked if she could use our car 3 days a week to school. My husband said he was ok with it. She asks me and I say...I need to talk to your dad. Which she replies .....he already said it was ok. So if I say I disagree then they are both mad at me, and if I go,along with what they want then I'm unhappy. We own the car, we pay for the insurance, license and upkeep, and the bus is free which picks her up and drops her off.
I suggested to my DH that we sell it to her, which he replies....your controlling. It's a headache and a huge hassle that I don't want to deal with anymore. Any suggestions? We struggle with resolving conflict. We aren't in agreement.
lc, this is basically a new iteration of the same problem that you first came here with. The problem is that when we give you the MB answer to this basic problem, you do not act on the advice, abandon the thread, and then come back with the same issue in another form.

The basic, and monumental problem you face is that your H does not put you and your marriage first. He does not agree to use, or see the rightness of using, POJA as a first principle. POJA is the way of reaching agreements that ensures that neither spouse gains at the expense of, or regardless of the interests of, the other. Where matters concerning his children arise, that would mean his making no decisions until and unless the two of you first come to an enthusiastic agreement about the course of action.

Your H's refusal to POJA is compounded by his temper. He will use angry outbursts and terror to intimidate you into shutting up, both during the immediate discussion and as a threat in the longer term. You can do nothing unless your H stops his angry, aggressive behaviour once and for all, and also negotiates and discusses issues with you before he reaches agreements with his children.

The first version of this problem was over your H's demand that you put him and his children on your insurance policy, while he refused to insure anything - even the vehicles he drives. The next was over his son treating your home like a hotel, losing his license and expecting lifts whenever he needed, and stealing from your bank account into the bargain. The next was over his allowing his daughter to use your car, which you didn't want, and when she is entitled to a free bus ride to school, and now there is this.

You have said several times that you want to move out, and once, that you were actually moving out, but I can see that you don't want to do that. However, you recognise the problem for yourself; your H won't take you into account when it comes to an issue with his kids, and you do not know how to get him on board with POJA. You also recognise no that his two previous divorces were not all those wives' fault, as he claims. The truth is, he has no intention of doing what it takes to have a happy marriage.

Well, the sad answer is that there is no magic way to get him on board with POJA. Your attempts to negotiate are met with bullying and aggression. He refuses to read a Harley book and he refuses to listen to you when you tell him why you are unhappy.

You have tried for a long time, using Dr H's recommendations on negotiating, to get him on board with taking you into consideration, and he will not. There remain only two choices: to put up with the situation, accepting that it is not likely to change, or separate.

You could separate with a view to dating and maintaining your marriage until the children are out of the home, and until you see consistent, sustained, extraordinary care of you (POJA), or you can separate with a view to calling it a day. However, separation, with one aim or the other, is the only way to sotp this abuse.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Dr. Harley comments that when he coaches a couple they will see rapid improvement if they follow his plan, which actually works, so when he sees people who fail to follow the assignments, "I focus on their failure rather than on the marital problems themselves, until they comply."

This is what I am seeing here. You spoke to Dr. Harley last year and you spoke to us as well and got some great things to do that would have made your situation better, but didn't follow the suggestions, so here you are a year later and nothing is better.

Dr. Harley has a plan here for women who are in your situation. Follow it and you will be able to dig yourself out of this misery! If you don't - well, we're going to talk about that fact.

Why won't you follow the suggestions?

Last edited by markos; 11/10/15 04:05 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
OP Offline
L
I'm on board...husband is not this is the problem. You can't change people, they have to want to change. He doesn't see the problem...Is blind.

L
OP Offline
L
Very good advice. I keep praying for a miracle. I have a health issue right now that I'm dealing with. I need surgery next week.once that is dealt with maybe my head will be clearer to deal with marriage issues. Right now I'm overwhelmed with everything going on.

M
M
I'm on board...husband is not this is the problem. You can't change people, they have to want to change. He doesn't see the problem...Is blind.

You don't seem to be on board with Dr. Harley's plan for a wife whose husband is not on board.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Very good advice. I keep praying for a miracle. I have a health issue right now that I'm dealing with. I need surgery next week.once that is dealt with maybe my head will be clearer to deal with marriage issues. Right now I'm overwhelmed with everything going on.

We will be praying for your surgery and for a clear head for you.

One thing Dr. Harley sometimes suggests is to ask your doctor about prescribing short term antidepressants. This gives you a boost in clarity when you may most need it, to help you see what needs to be done and stay unemotional enough to do it.

I did it myself around Christmas three years ago - best decision I ever made. Only lasted a few months.

B
B
Please listen to these clips.
Radio Clip on Step Parents
Segment 2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 459 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation