Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 45 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 44 45
S
S
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
I would complete your POJA about stopping drinking now before considering this. If she agrees to stop, no need for an intervention UNTIL she quits stopping.

If she won't agree to stop, then it would also be time to consider it.
You realise that we shouldn't POJA health and safety issues, don't you?

Yes, but he hasn't finished his task of asking her to stop yet.

If she refuses to stop, or stops stopping, then it becomes a health and safety issue.

I would not agree this issue has crossed the threshold of health and safety until one of those things happened.

S
S
In fact, you could tell your kids right now that their mother is an alcoholic and you intend asking her to stop drinking altogether, and you might need their help with this later.

Sugar Cane is really awesome, but I would disagree with telling the children this until after she has refused to quite or until after she has stopped quitting.

This could be an enormous lovebuster which could cloud her desire to work with him on his objective. I also don't think it is a just action to take prior to concluding his own conversations with her.

The reason he has not concluded his conversations is because he is avoiding conflict. Involving the kids in the mess of his own creating before he cleans it up doesn't seem fair to her at all.

My exH tried an "intervention" on me for unjust reasons and I literally hated him for it every time I remembered it. Scalding, burning hatred.
You're injecting a great deal of your own feelings into the advice you're giving here. I am simply trying to follow Dr Harley's advice as he wrote it. I would say that today, you have responded to what Dr Harley told MrAlias by pretty much telling MrAlias not to do what he said.

You seem to be against the intervention partly because your ex used one on you for unjustified reasons.

This is not an unjustified reason.

MrAlias's wife is an alcoholic, and Dr Harley has told Mr A to shoot for a complete and permanent cessation of drinking, and also, to consider an intervention.

Please don't try to put him off doing an intervention because you didn't like it when it was done unjustly to you.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Dr Harley has told Mr A to shoot for a complete and permanent cessation of drinking

I agree with your positions, except that by Mr A's description he hasn't done this yet.

He left it at her wanting to stop drinking after the holidays. He never came back to tell her that wouldn't work for him. He owes her that before an intervention.

S
S
Yes, but he hasn't finished his task of asking her to stop yet.

If she refuses to stop, or stops stopping, then it becomes a health and safety issue.

I would not agree this issue has crossed the threshold of health and safety until one of those things happened.
She is already an alcoholic, and MrAlias has already asked her to stop drinking. and she has already refused. She has bamboozled (pardon the pun) him with arguments about "controlled drinking", and about her not being an alcoholic, but perhaps only a problem drinker. She has not managed to control her "controlled drinking", and when he recently asked her to stop, she tried to negotiate stopping only temporarily, to prove that she is not an alcoholic - with the intention of resuming immediately the two months is up - and she tried to negotiate starting only after the holidays - so that she can spend another few weeks using her crutch. It is clear that the idea of not drinking at this festive time is something she cannot face, which is a sure sign of her alcoholism.

This negotiating the kind of deal she can cope with is the same behaviour as the person having an affair, who tries to negotiate staying in contact with the affair partner; it's just a friendship, the feelings are not sexual, they are not in love, they can still work together and not jump into the sack together...

You are not helping MrAlias by telling him that the it would be a love buster for him to ask his wife to stop drinking. Their marriage is in crisis, and this is a health and safety issue today, and she needs to stop drinking today.

And just as we do not tell people to wait before exposing the affair to kids, we do not tell them to wait before exposing any other kind of harmful, destructive behaviour. We do not tell them to wait until the wife-beater beats up his wife again, and we do not tell them to wait until the alcoholic drinks again He needs his kids to know that his wife is an alcoholic, regardless of whether she drops drinking this second, or not. He needs their support, and he needs them to be prepared for the intervention that might have to happen.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I agree with your positions, except that by Mr A's description he hasn't done this yet.

He left it at her wanting to stop drinking after the holidays. He never came back to tell her that wouldn't work for him. He owes her that before an intervention.
Well, that is what I said, so why are you arguing with me? I never said to do an intervention without first asking her to stop.

Here is what I said:

You only gave us notes from what Dr Harley said, and you did not tell us what you asked. It's much better for us to see the full question and answer. However, based on the notes you provided, this is the order of battle:

1. See what single-sex treatment programmes are available in your area. Is there a single-sex AA centre nearby? Talk to them about what help they can offer your wife.

2. Armed with that knowledge, ask your wife to stop drinking altogether; not just for two months, and starting right now, not after the holidays. Tell her about the support she will receive from the local AA.

3. If she refuses, or tries to negotiate starting after the holidays, or giving up for only two months, get your kids involved in the intervention. In fact, you could tell your kids right now that their mother is an alcoholic and you intend asking her to stop drinking altogether, and you might need their help with this later.

4. If she refuses, and the intervention does not help, write to Dr Harley again.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
You are not helping MrAlias by telling him that the it would be a love buster for him to ask his wife to stop drinking.

We are in full agreement that he needs to ask his wife to stop drinking.

All of my posts have specifically been telling him to ask his wife to stop drinking.

He has been "kicking the can down the road" by not clearly doing so.

S
S
In fact, you could tell your kids right now that their mother is an alcoholic and you intend asking her to stop drinking altogether, and you might need their help with this later.

Sugar Cane is really awesome, but I would disagree with telling the children this until after she has refused to quite or until after she has stopped quitting.

This could be an enormous lovebuster which could cloud her desire to work with him on his objective. I also don't think it is a just action to take prior to concluding his own conversations with her.

The reason he has not concluded his conversations is because he is avoiding conflict. Involving the kids in the mess of his own creating before he cleans it up doesn't seem fair to her at all.

My exH tried an "intervention" on me for unjust reasons and I literally hated him for it every time I remembered it. Scalding, burning hatred.

The part in red is the only part of your post that I disagreed with.

I don't think it's fair to tell the kids right now that she is an alcoholic when he hasn't finished asking her to stop drinking.

Also, Dr. Harley did not suggest such a step *right now*.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/07/16 02:15 PM.
S
S
I would disagree with telling the children this until after she has refused to quite or until after she has stopped quitting.

How would his telling his kids that he intends to ask his wife to stop drinking altogether, and that if this does not work, he might need their help, "cloud her desire to work with him"? How would she know?

I did not say to tell the kids and get them to talk to their mother today. I said to tell the kids that he might need them to do this, together with him, soon.

And again, when it comes to the time for the intervention, how would this be "for unjust reasons", as it was in your case? Is trying to get his wife to stop drinking for good an "unjust reason"?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I don't think it's fair to tell the kids right now that she is an alcoholic when he hasn't finished asking her to stop drinking.
So, if she agrees to stop drinking, there is no need to tell them that she is an alcoholic?

Why would he keep that a secret? Is it Harley advice to keep such a thing secret from our kids? Is it his advice to keep affairs, abuse, or other kinds of marital problems, secret from the kids?

If she stops drinking, is she no longer an alcoholic? Is that why he would not need to tell them? I think you know that she would still be an alcoholic, so why shouldn't her kids know this? Might it not help her for them to know this?

Also, Dr. Harley did not suggest such a step *right now*.
Well, he did not suggest that an intervention would be unjustified, either, but that did not stop you from implying that it would.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
I can't post much now because I am swamped at work, but this post frustrates me terribly. Almost as much as the endorsed notion yesterday of stopping for 2 months.. He should tell the kids now. They need to know what is going on. DR Harley is very clear about honesty with families. Additionally, AA advises members to inform family and close friends. I have been in AA for 32 years and there is no benefit to anyone concerned to keep this a secret. Alcoholics are notorious for hiding their drinking problems. It doesn't help her one bit by engaging in the secrecy.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
How would his telling his kids that he intends to ask his wife to stop drinking altogether, and that if this does not work, he might need their help

Well, that wasn't exactly what you originally said..you had said to tell them today "she is an alcoholic".

That label to the kids isn't exactly fair to her because he hasn't told yet her that her idea to wait until the holidays are over will not work for him and that he needs her to stop completely.

I did not say to tell the kids and get them to talk to their mother today. I said to tell the kids that he might need them to do this, together with him, soon.

Dr. Harley did not go as far as to tell him to involve the kids today. He said to consider an intervention.

I think it is wise that he tells her TODAY that he needs her to stop drinking, and if she refuses, to tell the kids TOMORROW this has occurred and he will need their help. Telling them anything prior to his final request is premature.

And again, when it comes to the time for the intervention, how would this be "for unjust reasons", as it was in your case? Is trying to get his wife to stop drinking for good an "unjust reason"?

If she refuses to stop drinking, or stops and then starts up again, then it is not an unjust intervention. At that time she is proving she will chose alcohol over the family and the family deserves to have some say/take action about that.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/07/16 02:28 PM.
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
SC.

Thank you for the 4 point list. I believe you are right on the mark and I will follow through with that advice.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
Well, that wasn't exactly what you originally said..you had said to tell them today "she is an alcoholic".

That label to the kids isn't exactly fair to her because he hasn't asked her to stop yet.
I did say to tell them today that she is an alcoholic, and I stand by that term.

His wife IS an alcoholic, and MrA, his wife AND THE CHILDREN need to face that fact.

She is an alcoholic whether she stops drinking this second, or not.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I think it is wise that he tells her TODAY that he needs her to stop drinking, and if she refuses, to tell the kids TOMORROW this has occurred and he will need their help. Telling them anything prior to his final request is premature.
Why is it premature?

She is an alcoholic.

Why is it premature to tell his kids the truth?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
If she refuses to stop drinking, or stops and then starts up again, then it is not an unjust intervention. At that time she is proving she will chose alcohol over the family and the family deserves to have some say/take action about that.
So why mention an "unjust" intervention?

Who told him to do an "unjust" intervention?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Being an alcoholic is not a "label." It is a FACT. if I say I am a girl, that is not a "label," but a statement of fact. Of course he should tell his children the FACTS about their mother.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
For what it's worth my W hasn't agreed to stop drinking entirely. Only temporarily after the Holidays. She has not responded to my lastest emails sent yesterday morning.

Originally Posted by ToMrsAlias
I asked you last year to quit drinking. You spent your time convincing me that you could control your drinking. You can�t. You were good for a while and then you slipped back into some of your old habits.

Remember this wasn�t �my way� or anything I asked you to do. I wanted you to quit entirely. This last year was your way. For the sake of our marriage you promised me you�d be good or get help. Well here we are almost one year later and I see you trying but not succeeding. And now you're asking me to continue to reset and try again? Am I now supposed to believe this time is going to be different?

Bottom line: I�m asking you to stop drinking. You�re holding on to it like it�s something really important. It must be if you aren�t willing to stop.

I reread this and realize my wording sucks. My words tend to have a demeaning tone and it's something I need to work on. However I do believe I've made it crystal clear what I want her to do.

Later on I followed this up with this:
Originally Posted by ToMrsAlias
My hope would be that you see someone about this. Get a professional opinion. I would hope they would offer up something that would give some direction. I would be there to help you every step of the way. I love you and want us to have a happy and romantic relationship. That can�t happen if we continue on this merry-go-round.

I definitely believe I should talk to my kids about this soon if not right away. My W tried to convince me not to unless I was ready to split but that's just nonsense. I suspect I know the reasons why she'd say that. She'd feel ganged up on.

My timing couldn't be worse what with the Holidays coming up ... although it was the last Holiday (Thanksgiving) that prompted me to say something now. Enough capitulating and ignoring the elephant in the room.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
Originally Posted by MrAlias
I definitely believe I should talk to my kids about this soon if not right away. My W tried to convince me not to unless I was ready to split but that's just nonsense. I suspect I know the reasons why she'd say that. She'd feel ganged up on.
But even you spoke to them today, she would not necessarily know today. I did not suggest that you stage the intervention today. I only said that you should speak to them today. I did not say that they should then speak to her right away after you told them. I specifically suggested only staging the intervention when (if) she refused your request for her to stop altogether - to stop right now (not after the holidays).

Their speaking to her is the intervention, and that needs to handled properly, in the way Dr Harley described in the Q&A letter. He even suggested getting advice from AA on how to do it, and possibly, getting AA to be involved in the event.

An intervention is a staged event, and therefore, requires planning. It isn't just one or more of your kids having a go at your wife.

And thank you for clarifying that you have, indeed, clearly asked your wife to stop drinking altogether, and she has already refused. That is what I gathered from what you have written on this board for some time, and also from what you wrote yesterday. I don't know where the idea came from that you have not articulated your desire for her to stop altogether.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I would complete your POJA about stopping drinking now before considering this. If she agrees to stop, no need for an intervention UNTIL she quits stopping.

If she won't agree to stop, then it would also be time to consider it.
You realise that we shouldn't POJA health and safety issues, don't you?

Dr Harley did *not* say to "POJA" this drinking issue. And I don't understand why you would inject your own twist like this on Dr Harley's advice. He is clear in what he said and on his feelings on this topic.

Please Mr Alias, I would advise you to listen to SC and ML. They will not steer you wrong.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Administrator
Administrator
Please advise this poster using Marriage Builders principles, not your own experiences or feelings.

Any questions, shoot me an email.

ToujoursMB@gmail.com
Page 34 of 45 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation