Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45
M
M
Originally Posted by MrAlias
Thanks again Mel.

Co-ed AA meetings are pick up joints.

In that case would it be a good or bad idea for me to go to these meetings with my wife? If they're open to the public.

Yes, you can go to open meetings with her - usually a person gives a talk. But you can't go to closed meetings and she will need to attend those too.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Alrighty. Thank you.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
M
Good luck!! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Next steps?

Her response to my question of wanting to know what her plan is and if she'd seek professional help.

Originally Posted by FromMrsAlias
stop drinking

Not talking to a professional because we can't afford it and i don't think i have a problem. I enjoy a drink or two and have been drinking less than i used to (even though you think that it is the other way around)

Yes i have had a drink or two during the week....yes i drink on the weekends but i limit it to 4....i am not staying up late to drink more i am just a night person...there have been a couple occasions where i went over the 4 limit but there have also been some where i only have less than 4 on the weekend.

Bottom line is you seem to have a zero tolerance for me drinking even just one so i will quit.

I have not responded because I want to be sure I pick the right path and make an appropriate response (if I respond at all).

Last edited by MrAlias; 12/08/16 11:27 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I sent this on to Dr Harley and ask for his advice as well.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'd be happy to hear from others on this.

I'm thinking I should be happy to hear this. But her message reads loud and clear she isn't happy that I'm "ahem" forcing her into this.

That is going to make it tough to build that romantic relationship I long for.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
Next steps?

Her response to my question of wanting to know what her plan is and if she'd seek professional help.

stop drinking

Not talking to a professional because we can't afford it and i don't think i have a problem. I enjoy a drink or two and have been drinking less than i used to (even though you think that it is the other way around)

Yes i have had a drink or two during the week....yes i drink on the weekends but i limit it to 4....i am not staying up late to drink more i am just a night person...there have been a couple occasions where i went over the 4 limit but there have also been some where i only have less than 4 on the weekend.

Bottom line is you seem to have a zero tolerance for me drinking even just one so i will quit.

I have not responded because I want to be sure I pick the right path and make an appropriate response (if I respond at all).

Yay!! This was a beautiful response. You finally completed your conversation with her to quit drinking; she agreed to quit.

I don't understand why you think you shouldn't respond?? What else did you want?

Support her. Thank her nicely, be sweet to her and take her on a date. Show her your appreciation that she would do something so nice for you since it was lovebusting you.

If she stops quitting further action would be warranted, but give her a chance.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
K
K
You can't control her feelings. Nor, really, can she.

You can only ask her to refrain from doing things that make you unhappy.

She can't control how she feels about her drinking, but she can control her drinking. That is what she has agreed to do.

It's up to you to decide whether to insist that she also seek out counselling. Remember, though, that is requiring her to DO something. If the problem is the drinking, and she has agreed to stop, maybe go with that for a while. It may be that, once she stops drinking, her insight into it will change and she will seek out further support..

S
S
Is she going to stop right now?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
Originally Posted by SugarCane

That's what I'd like to know.
Is all the alcohol being poured down the sink as we speak?

Is she open to being accountable? Can you check up on her?

Have you told your kids yet? They need to know, so they can tell you if she still drinks.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Next steps?

stop drinking

That is great! Tell her you love her and appreciate her note.

Exposure 101

S
S
As Prisca says, your house needs to be cleared of all alcohol, right away. Also, you and the kids must not bring any alcohol into the house after that. Your wife needs to live in an alcohol-free zone.

You then need to be with her whenever she is not working, so that you know she is not drinking.

For an alcoholic to give up drinking takes more than giving her word. It will be a struggle for her to stop, and you need to help her, but also verify that she is not drinking, anywhere.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Could you please post both of your letters to Dr. Harley here to us and Dr. Harley's response?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M

I believe so. She hasn't said definitively but we weren't together for very long last night (other than to sleep) so we didn't discuss this in-depth.

She had her dance class last night so I took our daughter to watch a high school sporting event. When I got home she was already there and was doing some knitting.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Prisca

That's what I'd like to know.
Is all the alcohol being poured down the sink as we speak?

Is she open to being accountable? Can you check up on her?

Have you told your kids yet? They need to know, so they can tell you if she still drinks.

I have not poured anything out, hadn't thought of that. There is a LOT of wine and beer in our bar. Yes we have a bar. Sigh. She rarely drinks wine even though many of the bottles are hers. I suspect there is close to a case of light beer (big 16 oz cans) in the cooler. Hers.

She'll think I went off the deep end if I start pouring out all the booze. She doesn't think she has a problem and is only doing this because I asked her to. Sacrificing is what she'd call it.

I haven't talked to the kids yet. My son should be with us this weekend. So I plan to sit them down tomorrow. Unfortunately my wife won't be with us Saturday. She's made plans to be with her sister doing some Xmas shopping, 1.5 hours away. Her sister doesn't drink and while I'm sure I'll regret it she will be getting an email today letting her know what's been going on. I doubt she's aware there is this drinking problem.

I will look to clean out the booze tomorrow when she's gone. Tonight her and I will be together every minute of the evening.

Last edited by MrAlias; 12/09/16 08:23 AM.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
That is great! Tell her you love her and appreciate her note.

Yup did that.

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
M
MrAlias Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Could you please post both of your letters to Dr. Harley here to us and Dr. Harley's response?

I will post his response when I receive it, sure.

My reply to him was this:

Dr Harley, can I ask for next steps based on my wife's recent reply?

< MrsAlias's response here>

I'm fearful this is her being angry and upset with me thinking this is my problem not her's and that she will go on resenting me. I don't want that, obviously, so what would you recommend I do?

Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
S
S
I have not poured anything out, hadn't thought of that. There is a LOT of wine and beer in our bar. Yes we have a bar. Sigh. She rarely drinks wine even though many of the bottles are hers. I suspect there is close to a case of light beer (big 16 oz cans) in the cooler. Hers.

She'll think I went off the deep end if I start pouring out all the booze. She doesn't think she has a problem and is only doing this because I asked her to. Sacrificing is what she'd call it.

I haven't talked to the kids yet. My son should be with us this weekend. So I plan to sit them down tomorrow. Unfortunately my wife won't be with us Saturday. She's made plans to be with her sister doing some Xmas shopping, 1.5 hours away. Her sister doesn't drink and while I'm sure I'll regret it she will be getting an email today letting her know what's been going on. I doubt she's aware there is this drinking problem.

I will look to clean out the booze tomorrow when she's gone. Tonight her and I will be together every minute of the evening.
You need to do this properly, MrA. You know that she will very likely take the first opportunity to sneak a drink when she is away from you. If you've got a bar full of booze, and you get back and she's already home knitting, you can bet that she'll have a swig or two before you get home.

You need to find a way not to leave her alone, or to have her always in the presence of someone who knows that she has a problem and is getting family help to stop.

it would be okay for her to go shopping with her sister, if her sister knows about the plan and will not let her drink, but she can't go out with her girlfriends, for example.

If she means what she says, she will happily comply with being accountable at all times. I suspect she won't be happy and she won't comply.

If you and the kids and not drinking in the house (and it sounds as if the two still at home are too young to drink), it should be easier to smell alcohol on her if she does drink.

My point is that this will take vigilance, and compliance with that from her. Also, you need to get her to an AA meeting, with you there if it is mixed-sex.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I'm fearful this is her being angry and upset with me thinking this is my problem not her's and that she will go on resenting me. I don't want that, obviously, so what would you recommend I do?
Dr Harley addresses this point in the "Intervention" Q&A.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
She'll think I went off the deep end if I start pouring out all the booze.
So? It shouldn't be a problem if she agreed to quit.
And, if the alcohol is around the house, it will be no time before she starts drinking again. If she's really going to quit, she needs to be in an alcohol-free home.

I haven't talked to the kids yet. My son should be with us this weekend. So I plan to sit them down tomorrow.
Very good!

Unfortunately my wife won't be with us Saturday.
Perfect time to get rid of the alcohol.

She's made plans to be with her sister doing some Xmas shopping, 1.5 hours away. Her sister doesn't drink and while I'm sure I'll regret it she will be getting an email today letting her know what's been going on. I doubt she's aware there is this drinking problem.
Also very good! Your wife will need this support system to stay sober.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,358 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation