Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jdreaux Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have said something like that to her living well, but it has been addressed on her end.She simple chooses not to address it.

You misinterpret what I mean by taking responsibility. She doesn�t say to me or herself �what can I do to strengthen this marriage?�

M
M
Jdreaux, I would re-send your email and even email the mods and ask them to send it. It might be going to their spam box.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
How long ago did you write the Harleys? Have you tried again? Also, notify the MODS so they can let Dr. Harley know that you�ve been trying to get a hold of them.
Did you read this?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
L
Originally Posted by Jdreaux
I have said something like that to her living well, but it has been addressed on her end.She simple chooses not to address it.

So when you told her you had taking ownership of your own decision to sacrifice and that you had got yourself into that mess all alone, she just stared at you in silence?

I'm having a hard time believing that.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
J
Jdreaux Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well we are married, so we are in the mess together. When I said that I made mistakes, and listed some to her which included having to give. Then I mentioned I want us to do better at our marriage, I told her I need to know what she needed me do. In turn I asked her for things I needed from her. We discussed and had a plan. The next and following week she seemed to forget the plan. I kept up with what she needed me to do. But then came love buster and then another. I kept up still. But it�s tiring. She won�t take the ownership that I need her help.

M
M
Originally Posted by living_well
I�ve been trying to work on the Love Buster questionarie but I�m having difficultly understanding what exactly caused me to loose love for my wife. I believe it�s resentment from the past (previously mentioned).

I feel I can�t move forward unless she acknowledges and understands what I went through. What I�ve been doing to try to help our marriage. The past is what makes me so mad, it�s built resentment. Do I tell her this? And brings it over the top she doesn�t take any responsibility for what�s she�s done.

Stop trying to educate her. Nobody wants to be educated. Why would she take responsibility for something you chose to do? She never forced you to sacrifice.

Try something like this:

"I now understand what I have been doing wrong. My sacrificing has caused my giver to collapse of exhaustion and now my taker is in full blown recovery mode. I know you never asked me to sacrifice and I take full responsibility for the present situation which was entirely of my doing. It was misguided of me to believe that this would help my marriage. Would you be able to help me get my giver and my taker back into balance so that we can return to joy?"

If she then asks how she can help, you could ask her to support and encourage you to make complaints. If she does not want to read the books, drop the subject. You might be able to revisit that later when love has returned or you can just use use MB principals. She will soon notice!
I agree that you need to stop trying to educate her. Your efforts to do so will only result in further lovebusting. To the extent that the suggestions given here are, in fact, still efforts to educate her, I would not do that. Rather, you need to try to understand her perspective. I doubt she thinks you have sacrificed. More likely, she thinks you are nitpicking and tedious, and welcomed the refrain from this behavior that your �sacrifice� represented.

It would be great to here your wife�s perspective.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
J
Jdreaux Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Please explain to me how I am educating her. I do not see what I�m doing and how I�m doing this.

L
L
Please explain to me how I am educating her. I do not see what I�m doing and how I�m doing this.

Here you go:

Well we are married, so we are in the mess together.

I recommend you skip that intro, it is not attractive to a reluctant spouse.

When I said that I made mistakes, and listed some to her which included having to give.

There was no 'having to give'. You decided to go that route. Do you even know what her top emotional needs are? She may not even want the things you are doing for her.

Then I mentioned I want us to do better at our marriage

Drop the 'us'. YOU want to do better at your marriage. What she wants is up to her.

I told her I need to know what she needed me do.

Why are you back on that again? She must be going nuts.

In turn I asked her for things I needed from her. We discussed and had a plan. The next and following week she seemed to forget the plan.

That was because she was not actually committed to the plan in the first place. I bet this was stuff you told her to do and she agreed because she was fed up with discussing it. Then, because she was not genuinely enthusiastic, she quietly dropped the plan. Negotiating needs to wait until your marriage is far stronger than it is now.

I kept up with what she needed me to do.

So?

But then came love buster and then another.

Love busters will quickly undo any deposits. You must eliminate your love busters entirely and make complaints the proper way about hers.

She won�t take the ownership that I need her help.

Why should she take ownership of something she did not do? Stop beating her up!

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
I
I
Because you expect her to do an equal share. You behave as though you know what is right, and she doesn't.

This kind of attitude is galling to a reluctant spouse and insuferably self-righteous. If she wanted to play an equal part, she would suggest it herself and follow through with it.

You may feel justified and within the bounds of reason, but you are lecturing her on what she should do "because we are married", even if her sense of duty agreed with you, her heart won't- can't.

It's exactly this attitude "when you are married to me I can assume you are tied to me" that kills any sense of fun or romance.

You will get much better results by focusing on being confident, flirtatious, twinkly, patient, relaxed, solicitious, jokey. Goodness, any style at all besides having dry, dutiful relationship conversations. People in successful relationships don't have them at all! Negotiations are brief, pleasant and fun. They stop at the first sign of reluctance without any finger wagging and in any case they must wait until everyone involved is loved up and motivated.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

J
Jdreaux Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Living well and indie girl that did not explain how I educate her. We were actually discussing Dr. Harley�s principles. I know it�s all semantics on your end and i understand how people on another computer screen can misunderstand.

You should be understanding and listen first. Ask questions, translate late what they are saying. People pour themselves out, exposed, vulnerable, and in crisis on this forum. Berating people, and shaming them is no way to talk to people.

Thank you for your time

M
M
Living well and indie girl that did not explain how I educate her. We were actually discussing Dr. Harley�s principles. I know it�s all semantics on your end and i understand how people on another computer screen can misunderstand.

You should be understanding and listen first. Ask questions, translate late what they are saying. People pour themselves out, exposed, vulnerable, and in crisis on this forum. Berating people, and shaming them is no way to talk to people.

Thank you for your time
Do you converse with your wife in the same manner as you just did in this post? If so, you have just answered your own question.

Successful relationships are not achieved by telling others what to do. The only person you will be able to effect this way is yourself. Nobody else is going to listen.

This is why I told you to make an effort to understand your wife�s perspective. If you understand where she is coming from, there is hope of finding common ground. You achieve nothing by painting her as the bad guy.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
I
I
You should be understanding and listen first.

Please help me. I need more educating on this matter. As long as you are discussing Dr Harleys principles I have no problem with being lectured to. It's for my own good. Really.

Sorry JD I couldn't help myself....its affectionate teasing I promise.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation