Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi there! I came to this site because I need someone to talk to and to vent!! I am marrying a man I have been dating off and on for 10 yrs. I have a 22yr old son, 19yr old daughter and a 15yr old son. When marrying in 6 months my 15yr old and I will be moving into his home. My 2 older kids are staying at the home I’ve been renting. I will expect them to pay the rent and all their own bills. Since I am the one moving out I feel that I should contribute a little for awhile and am planning on paying for the utilities. I feel it is extremely important for adult children to start making their own way. My soon to be husband has a 25 yr old son that lives in his house and only recently started working full time. He contributes zero. No chores, no rent nothing. His girlfriend spends the night frequently. When I bring up to my fiancé that his son needs to Grow up, pay rent, move out he gets enraged. Says he will move out when we get married. His 20yr old daughter is in college an hr away living in a rental home with friends. She flunked out and now is attending community college. She is constantly asking for money. Her rent is payed by gma mom . She pays Zero bills. My fiancé gives her money constantly in the amount of 300+ a a month. She shows no appreciation just expects it. She works one to two days a week adding up to about 10 hrs a week at minimum wage. I see a Major issue here as well. When I tell him she needs to pay the majority of her way and to quit paying for everything he becomes enraged. I literally cannot bring any of this up to him without him getting mad, yelling. What do I do?? Help

B
B
Welcome to MB.

Have you read Dr. Harley’s basic concepts? Have you read about POJA (policy of Joint agreement)?

What happened to your first marriage?

Does he have angry outbursts?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
OP Offline
M
Divorced for 10 yrs. no issues there.
On the topic of his kids he gets very mad.

M
OP Offline
M
I have not read that

B
B
Originally Posted by Michelle45
I have not read that
Please read Basic Concepts

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Originally Posted by Michelle45
Divorced for 10 yrs. no issues there.
On the topic of his kids he gets very mad.
Is this man the reason your first marriage ended?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
OP Offline
M
I just did read it. Very good points. No, no infidelity from me or my x husband. X husband is a raging alcoholic as for the reason for the divorce. Met my fiancé 6 months after my divorce.

S
S
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Marriagebuilders.

It sounds like you will be creating a marriage with a built in issue that neither of you are willing to negotiate on. Here's what Dr. Harley says about picking a spouse:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
5. Values. Moral values usually dictate how we behave. The Policy of Joint Agreement and the Policy of Radical Honesty are moral values that I encourage all married couples to adopt because they create and sustain love. But even when these two important values are agreed to at the time of marriage, conflicts with other moral values can make the creation of a compatible lifestyle very difficult to achieve. Getting back to our Christmas example, it's a cultural difference that makes a spouse unskilled in knowing how to celebrate Christmas. But if you marry an Orthodox Jew, it's more than skill that will be a problem. He will probably be deeply offended by such a celebration. And that offense comes from his moral convictions, not just his cultural background. A discussion of values is always a good idea when on a date, because if you find your values to be very divergent, it will make it difficult for you to agree on a lifestyle that you enthusiastically share.

A question often asked in a compatibility test is "Would you be willing to give up your religion to please your spouse?" It's not really a fair question, because it usually doesn't come to that drastic measure. But the point is important, and I would rephrase the question a little differently. I would ask, "Do you have any beliefs that would prevent you from following the Policy of Joint Agreement?" That is actually more to the point. Is there some belief that is so important to you that you would be willing to let your spouse suffer rather that give it up? If so, you should be certain that your spouse shares the same belief.

The point in all of this is that wide differences in any of these five characteristics of people make it difficult, but not impossible, to create a compatible lifestyle. When dating, if you try to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement), you will be able to pick up on areas of incompatibility immediately. And if you find yourself fighting a difference in one of these characteristics, it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort to try to resolve it. That's when you break up and start in all over again with someone else.

More at:
https://www.marriagebuilders.com/choosing-the-right-one-to-marry-2.htm

I'm very concerned that (1) your fiance uses anger to get his way on a value you don't share, and (2) you are in sharp disagreement about a value important to both of you that will only grow in importance to you after you are married.

Given the information you have shared about his children, it seems likely that even if the issue is temporarily resolved before your marriage, it will rear its head again in the future when either of the children falls onto a hard (or lazy) time. For this reason it is critical to wait to marry him until you are able to resolve the issue with mutual respect (not anger on his part) to both of your enthusiastic agreement.

https://www.marriagebuilders.com/the-giver-and-taker.htm
https://www.marriagebuilders.com/the-policy-of-joint-agreement.htm

Marrying someone who resolves disagreements to his satisfaction by anger is a recipe for a looooong heartache. Ask me how I know. frown

M
M
Hi Michelle, welcome to Marriage Builders. Many great points have been made, most especially the critical importance of learning how to negotiate with your husband-to-be. This single issue is not really the issue. The main issue is your ability to negotiate conflicts. If you can't do that, your marriage will not last. Second marriages with step children have an extremely high divorce rate: 85% because it is so very hard to negotiate over one's children, even grown children.

My suggestion would be to slow this down until you have become masters at negotiation. You can email Dr Harley at his radio show and he will give you free guidance. MBRadio@marriagebuilders.com.

When I tell him she needs to pay the majority of her way and to quit paying for everything he becomes enraged. I literally cannot bring any of this up to him without him getting mad,

I would point out that this is a disrespectful judgement and will always cause great conflict. You shouldn't be lecturing a grown man on how he is to treat his children. You are just telling him that yours is the superior judgement, which is very disrespectful. Please take the time to read up about damaging loverbusters are:

Originally Posted by disrespectful judgements
"In the final analysis, disrespectful judgments represent an effort to force our spouses to give us what we want in marriage, but it's often cleverly disguised. Instead of making an outright demand, we present our problem as if it were really our spouse's personal shortcoming. We try to "straighten out" our spouse in an effort to get our way.

At the time we rationalize our disrespect by convincing ourselves that we're doing our spouses a big favor, to lift them from the darkness of their confusion into the light of our superior perspective. If they would only follow our advice, we tell ourselves, they could avoid many of life's pitfalls-and we would also get what we want.

A disrespectful judgment occurs whenever one spouse tries to impose a system of values and beliefs on the other. When a husband tries to force his point of view on his wife, he's just asking for trouble. When a wife assumes that her own views are right and her husband is woefully misguided — and tells him so — she enters a minefield."
LOVE BUSTERS - DISRESPECTFUL JUDGMENTS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
READ THIS: HOW TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS (PART 1) B...ed Family and Keep Love in Your Marriage

"Here are a few guidelines that will help you negotiate an enthusiastic agreement:

1. Set ground rules to make negotiations pleasant and safe:
a) try to be pleasant and cheerful through your discussion of the issue,
b) put safety first--do not threaten to cause pain or suffering when you negotiate, even if your spouse makes threatening remarks or if the negotiations fail,
c) if you reach an impasse, stop for a while and come back to the issue later.

2. Identify the problem from the perspectives of both you and your husband. Be able to state the other spouse's position before you go on to find a solution.

3. Brainstorm solutions with abandon. Spend some time thinking of all sorts of ways to handle the problem, and don't correct each other when you hear of a plan that you don't like. You'll have a chance to do that later.

4. Choose the solution that is appealing to both of you. And if your brainstorming has not given you an answer that you can enthusiastically agree upon, go back to brainstorming.
The reason you argue is that you are incompatible — you have not learned how to act in the interest of both of you at the same time. But if you follow the Policy of Joint Agreement and use the guidelines for negotiation that I have just described, you will find yourselves in greater and greater agreement. Eventually, your marriage will turn out better than you could have ever hoped.

If you don't follow this policy, however, you will eventually make each other so miserable that you will lose your love for each other and divorce, like most marriages with blended families. This process has already begun. Stop it before it goes any further."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Also here is some good information from Dr. Harley on Blended Families

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
OP Offline
M
I greatly appreciate and welcome that. Thank you!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation