Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#342585 03/05/03 02:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Should a spouse continue a friendship that began when we were separated?

My story: met when we were 16, together 25 years, married 23 years, separated a few times. Basically, I took on most of the responsibilities and he was slow to mature (I take my share of the blame here). Our final separation was last summer (2 months). We had reached a crossroads where he ordered a motorcycle without my knowledge, let alone enthusiastic agreement. This was after many years of spending and denial that there was a problem.

After counseling (individual), we reconciled in September. I was aware there was a friend in the picture. I found a few emails, innocent in appearance, but he had saved them so I wondered. I didn't think much of it until just after the holidays, when we were in the same bar as the friend. A friend of mine pointed her out. For the rest of the evening I observed my H acting very uncomfortable.

I didn't confront him until a month later, when we were going to that same bar (he plays in a band there about once a month). I decided that I needed to know where his heart was at. So I told him I had heard that he was still in contact with her. He didn't deny it - in fact, he said it had been eating at him, and it didn't feel right, but he didn't know how to end it. I told him that his behavior was hurting me, and hurting his friend by leading her on all these months.

We've had quite a few discussions about this. I have asked him to have NC with her. He hasn't kept that promise for more than a week at a time. He says not to worry, he is where he wants to be. I believe that, because all of his actions prove that (except one).

I told him this morning that I will stop worrying when he stops feeling the pull from her.

Any advice/encouragement is greatly appreciated.

#342586 03/08/03 01:13 AM
S
S
Mistymars,

the 'friend' most definately needs to stay out of the picture, that lure is just too much for a marriage to survive. No contact is the best advice I can give.
As long as he holds on even if it's a little, he is not giving you 100% that he should be!
Gods Blessings on you, SW

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation