Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,
My wife of 9 years told me last week that she was done, no longer loved me. But, since we have 3 young children, she doesn't want to divorce right away. She wants us to continue living together, as parenting partners. I don't know how long she thinks we'll live like that, but wants to take it a year at a time for as long as we can. I refuse to accept that it's over, and begged for her to reconsider. She doesn't want to hear about it. In the end, I saw the positive aspect of our "parenting partnership", that being a chance for me to get her to love me again.

But there are a few problems.

First, she's not interested in working on our relationship. She has been unhappy in our marriage for a very long time, now telling me that it has been 8 years, but got worst over the last 3 years. Secondly, she has rekindled a friendship with an old boyfriend just at the same time that she made up her mind to finally call it quits. She claims its just a friendship and that she needed someone to talk to. I'm quite afraid that its more than that. She hasn't seen him in over 5 years, doubt she's talked to him since then, at least that's what she tells me. I'm inclined to believe her. He's always been in love with her, and stayed friends with her family well beyond the end of their relationship. Luckily, for the moment, we live abroad so he's 6000km away. However, this summer we are moving back home and he'll only be about 500km, and rather close to her family (a convenient ride when she visits them). I'm not sure if her decision to transition our marriage to a "parenting partnership" happened before or after contacting him, so I can't say that he's to blame. But they established contact in the same week, initiated by her. So he's a factor, in my mind. We had a talk about him, and she swears that there is nothing, he's just a friend she can talk to. She doesn't have any other close friends around here and she doesn't want to talk about it with her family.

After our first talks about her decision, I left it alone for a week. I didn't want to fight or meltdown. And I hoped that she would have reconsidered and accepted that perhaps we could work on our marriage. Our talk today didn't go well. She was incredulous that was still hoping to get her to love me again. That's when I found out she's been unhappy for close to 8 years, rather than last 3 years. Now I don't know how what to do. I don't want to give up, but clearly she doesn't want to try. She's now at peace with her decision and starting to be happy again. She doesn't put the blame all on me, although I'm the prime offender, that it's just the way she feels and that can't be changed.

Background. There have been no major issues or red flags in our relationship. No infidelity, no abuse, no mental health issues, no addictions, etc. I'm a loving father, great relationship with the kids. The major issue is that I'm not a very emotional person, and I haven't been demonstrative enough of my love for her. I never really reached out to hold her hand, never bought her flowers for no reason, never gave her a hug out of the blue and told her I loved her, etc. In her words, I wasn't a good husband... to her. I wasn't a mean person. But sometimes my temper was short-- no yelling, just sarcasm or snapping. I usually apologized soon after. Never raised a finger. I worry about money, but we've always been in debt and always spent like drunk sailors (I'm a sailor, allowed to say that). We've had talks before, where she expressed how she wanted me to be more loving, and I've promised to do better. I've never quite made up to my promises.

What should I do? Is there no hope? Is she right to say that she's stuck around long enough, there's no point in giving me another chance? Is she refusing to work on our relationship because she's found a life-line with an old boyfriend? Am I a jerk for denying her an exit from an unhappy marriage?

Thanks for all your help!

Mac

A
A
Originally Posted by MacTheSpoon
Secondly, she has rekindled a friendship with an old boyfriend just at the same time that she made up her mind to finally call it quits. She claims its just a friendship and that she needed someone to talk to. I'm quite afraid that its more than that. She hasn't seen him in over 5 years, doubt she's talked to him since then, at least that's what she tells me. I'm inclined to believe her.

How has she rekindled the friendship if they don't talk?

This sounds like at least an emotional affair and you need to get snooping and find out what is happening here. If she's in love with him, she's of course going to be disinterested in your marriage and you. You probably feel crushed, but her words about not being happy or in love with you for all of these years may not be accurate. She may be rewriting your history together in her mind since she has fallen for this other man. It is very, very common for a cheating spouse to say these sorts of things.

You need to get to the bottom of what is happening between them, and do so discreetly! If they have an inappropriate relationship, once she figures out you are onto them (e.g. because you are asking her about it or making it obvious that you are watching her) she will take it underground and make it very difficult for you to take the sort of action you must take to save your marriage.

So instead, snoop, find out if your suspicions are true, and come back here with what you find and tell us what it was before you say anything to her about it. We can advise you on what to do from there.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
L
L
Hello,
My wife of 9 years told me last week that she was done, no longer loved me. But, since we have 3 young children, she doesn't want to divorce right away. She wants us to continue living together, as parenting partners. I don't know how long she thinks we'll live like that, but wants to take it a year at a time for as long as we can. I refuse to accept that it's over, and begged for her to reconsider. She doesn't want to hear about it. In the end, I saw the positive aspect of our "parenting partnership", that being a chance for me to get her to love me again.

But there are a few problems.

First, she's not interested in working on our relationship. She has been unhappy in our marriage for a very long time, now telling me that it has been 8 years, but got worst over the last 3 years. Secondly, she has rekindled a friendship with an old boyfriend just at the same time that she made up her mind to finally call it quits. She claims its just a friendship and that she needed someone to talk to. I'm quite afraid that its more than that. She hasn't seen him in over 5 years, doubt she's talked to him since then, at least that's what she tells me. I'm inclined to believe her. He's always been in love with her, and stayed friends with her family well beyond the end of their relationship. Luckily, for the moment, we live abroad so he's 6000km away. However, this summer we are moving back home and he'll only be about 500km, and rather close to her family (a convenient ride when she visits them). I'm not sure if her decision to transition our marriage to a "parenting partnership" happened before or after contacting him, so I can't say that he's to blame. But they established contact in the same week, initiated by her. So he's a factor, in my mind. We had a talk about him, and she swears that there is nothing, he's just a friend she can talk to. She doesn't have any other close friends around here and she doesn't want to talk about it with her family.

After our first talks about her decision, I left it alone for a week. I didn't want to fight or meltdown. And I hoped that she would have reconsidered and accepted that perhaps we could work on our marriage. Our talk today didn't go well. She was incredulous that was still hoping to get her to love me again. That's when I found out she's been unhappy for close to 8 years, rather than last 3 years. Now I don't know how what to do. I don't want to give up, but clearly she doesn't want to try. She's now at peace with her decision and starting to be happy again. She doesn't put the blame all on me, although I'm the prime offender, that it's just the way she feels and that can't be changed.

Background. There have been no major issues or red flags in our relationship. No infidelity, no abuse, no mental health issues, no addictions, etc. I'm a loving father, great relationship with the kids. The major issue is that I'm not a very emotional person, and I haven't been demonstrative enough of my love for her. I never really reached out to hold her hand, never bought her flowers for no reason, never gave her a hug out of the blue and told her I loved her, etc. In her words, I wasn't a good husband... to her. I wasn't a mean person. But sometimes my temper was short-- no yelling, just sarcasm or snapping. I usually apologized soon after. Never raised a finger. I worry about money, but we've always been in debt and always spent like drunk sailors (I'm a sailor, allowed to say that). We've had talks before, where she expressed how she wanted me to be more loving, and I've promised to do better. I've never quite made up to my promises.

What should I do? Is there no hope? Is she right to say that she's stuck around long enough, there's no point in giving me another chance? Is she refusing to work on our relationship because she's found a life-line with an old boyfriend? Am I a jerk for denying her an exit from an unhappy marriage?

Thanks for all your help!

Mac

Welcome to MB, Mac. Sorry for the reason you find yourself here.

Your wife is having an affair with this guy, and that's the reason your marriage is in a crisis right now. An affair doesn't have to be physical to be a danger to your marriage. As a matter of fact, an emotional affair (EA) is just as dangerous to your marriage and probably even more so.

She has apparently had some complaints about you that you brushed off. Most women have affection and conversation as their top two ENs. You have neglected to fulfill these needs for her and your wife allowed this OM to meet those two very important needs for her. Your wife probably won't allow you to meet these needs if she's in love with another man, but you should still be doing small things that she will allow. Go out on dates and make them enjoyable. No relationship talk. Don't beg or plead.

Also, any anger or disrespect are love busters and will cause massive love bank withdrawals, no matter how "small." Even if you were a wonderful dad and great husband, angry outbursts, biting comments, sarcasm and the like will kill any woman's love. The fact that you never lifted a finger against her is small consolation. You will need to eliminate these love busters immediately.

That you didn't meet her ENs and committed love busters may well be part of the conditions of your wife's romantic attraction to OM, but the decision to engage in an affair is completely hers. So don't blame yourself for that. Every marriage needs extraordinary precaution to protect the relationship from affairs. Also, all waywards rewrite marital history, so try hard to ignore this kind of talk.

Meanwhile, don't ask about this guy anymore. You already know he's a danger to your marriage. Snoop quietly, install a keylogger and get the solid indisputable evidence that your wife is having a romantic relationship with this guy, putting it in a safe place, then expose the affair to your friends and family and children. Exposure is extremely important, crucial even, and will make your wife very angry, but exposure is the first step in breaking up an affair.

Exposure is not to punish the spouse; it's so the betrayed spouse can ask for support during a very painful time. It also shines the light of day on a poor decision.

Read up on Exposure Here

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
OP Offline
M
@axslinger85 - they were friends on Facebook, she got his new email address that way. I saw some FB messages that alerted me and I confronted her about it. She agreed that it wasn't appropriate and that he was getting the wrong impression. I'll see about snooping.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks LongWay.

I'll need more proof that her friendship is more than just that before I expose. I wouldn't expose her to the world anyways, I don't agree with that. It's between her and me.
I understand the need to tend to her EN and avoid love busters. For the love busters, I've been doing quite well in recent months. But for EN, it'll be hard. She won't go on "dates" with me (trusts no one to babysit kids), won't snuggle with me, won't let me touch her in any way. I brought her flowers last week and that led to an argument, where she reaffirmed that it was over and I had to live with that decision.
What do I do? Be patient, kind and caring, remain good friends and hope that one day she'll come to her senses? I can do all that for a long time, prove to her that I can be the husband she needs and wants. But I want to know if it's a hopeless mission, or if I should be more direct. Right now, the direct approach has failed. Hard.
Thanks,
Mac

M
M
Thanks LongWay.

I'll need more proof that her friendship is more than just that before I expose. I wouldn't expose her to the world anyways, I don't agree with that. It's between her and me.

Hi Mac, welcome to Marriage Builders. I am sorry for the reasons that have brought you here. You don't agree with exposure, but do you agree with saving your marriage?

We understand if you choose to let your marriage go, but just be aware that we can't help you if you choose to hide the affair for your wife. The reason is because affairs thrive on secrecy, so if you help her hide it, you only serve to enable it. And enablers don't make it because nothing we tell you to do can overcome your enabling. It would be like if your wife was a crack head and you drove her to the crack house and helped pay for her crack experience. That is what you would be doing if you help her hide the affair.

Dr. Bill Harley is a clinical psychologist and author of Surviving an Affair. He has specialized in saving marriages from affairs for 40 years. Those of here in recovered marriages attribute that to exposure. Dr. Harley calls exposure the most critical first step:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

So, if you are interested in saving your marriage, this is what you have to do. NOTHING we tell you to do will be of effect unless you expose the affair and run off the OM. All the need meeting and love buster avoiding will be for naught. You will be spinning your wheels while asking volunteers here to help you push a car up the hill with the parking brake ON. You want to make it? Then expose the affair and take the parking brake OFF.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I would also add that the whole reason for the problems in your marriage is your wife's affair. She is rewriting history about how "horrible" the marriage is to throw you off balance so you won't look too hard at her affair. Her goal is to keep you around to take out the trash and take care of the kids while she explores her affair and the possibilities of replacing you with the OM.

All waywards attempt to influence their betrayed spouses to be their "friend" so a) they can pursue their affairs in peace and b) so you won't be upset while she draws away from you.

The affair is destroying your marriage and your children's family and she wants you to be the nice guy ["friend"] and don't interfere with her plan.

Your plan of not exposing is a very complacent approach and that approach reflects a lack of caring. If you want to show you truly care, you should fight for your marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
Do you understand she is planning to replace you as husband and father of your children? Are you fine with this guy taking care of them - except for every other weekend?

You're going to have to take a stand here. It sounds like you think you can simply be nice and she'll change? No, no, no.

B
B
Is this OM married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
L
I'll need more proof that her friendship is more than just that before I expose.

This is why you need to quietly snoop and find out what's going on. In marriage,the only privacy is in the toilet. Otherwise, our lives should be an open book. You need to get solid evidence quickly and quietly.

I wouldn't expose her to the world anyways, I don't agree with that. It's between her and me.

Exposure is highly recommended by Dr. Harley, and he has years and years of experience in the field of infidelity. Exposure is critical in the busting up of an affair. It's not done with anger or recriminations or with the idea that it's great "revenge." Lots of affairs break up right away upon exposure. Once you have the evidence, don't keep the dirty little secret. Let your family, friends,and children know so they can encourage her to end the EN.

I understand the need to tend to her EN and avoid love busters. For the love busters, I've been doing quite well in recent months.

Good! Eliminating love busters for good is extremely important for the recovery of the marriage.

But for EN, it'll be hard. She won't go on "dates" with me (trusts no one to babysit kids), won't snuggle with me, won't let me touch her in any way. I brought her flowers last week and that led to an argument, where she reaffirmed that it was over and I had to live with that decision.

She's acting this way because she's in love with another man. Don't try to touch her for now, if that annoys her. Show her you care in other ways.

What do I do? Be patient, kind and caring, remain good friends and hope that one day she'll come to her senses? I can do all that for a long time, prove to her that I can be the husband she needs and wants. But I want to know if it's a hopeless mission, or if I should be more direct. Right now, the direct approach has failed. Hard.

Be patient, be kind and caring and friendly but hope in itself will get you nowhere. MB is about having and instituting a PLAN that has the best chance of ending the affair and recovering your marriage. It's not hopeless! But you will need to follow the plan carefully. [

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
]
Secondly, she has rekindled a friendship with an old boyfriend just at the same time that she made up her mind to finally call it quits. She claims its just a friendship and that she needed someone to talk to.

I would find out as much as you can about this man. Is he married? Where does he live? What is his marital status? Does he have a Facebook page? If he has a Facebook page, I would go to his page and copy all his contacts into a text doc for safekeeping.

Don't ask your wife anything about him, just quietly find this out on your own.

You have a small window of opportunity to kill this affair off before the affair goes too far. The longer you wait to bust it up, the more entrenched it becomes and the more solidified the plan to replace you.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all. I'll get snooping.

To answer Brainhurts' question, OM is a married family man.
Of course I care-- I don't want my family destroyed, I don't want my kids to meet a second dad and I don't want to visit them every other weekend. I'm extremely mad, frustrated and hurt. Everything she says is grounded in truth, whether it's exaggerated to rewrite our history, I can't say. She doesn't deny contacting OM, but claims he's a friend and she needs one right now. But still wants her privacy. I don't think she's only keeping me for the trash or money. It would be simpler for her to simply go our separate ways once we return home (reminder: currently abroad until summer). She's doing it for the kids-- which is something I can build on. I think.

H
H
You say you are a sailor. Does that mean you are away from home for periods of time, of overnight?
If so, that usually has a bad influence on marriages and you may want to overtink your career options.

me, DH
all the children
I
I
If your behaviour had really been bad enough to END the marriage to her kids dad - she wouldn't want to be friends.

A desire to be friends is a very high indicator of an affair. That and the dreaded 'I love you but not in love with you'.

If her OM was single, she'd be getting rid of you. Since he's married, he's made it clear he 'won't leave his kids' (married men like to stay with their wives and keep the side action going as long as possible).

Exposure would ruin the fantasy for her - she believes they will be together when the kids are grown - a fantasy which could last years. Exposure to his wife is likely to result in your wife being dumped.

It's critical that both your families know because you simply can't recover if she is allowed to remain in the fantasy mind set. She is supposed to feel ashamed of this - the old her would be.

Her family could help - particularly as he lives so close.

Without exposure Dr H has known the APs to reunite 20 years later after an apparant recovery. It's a high flown addictive fantasy, they believe they are soul mates. With exposure, they see it for the shameful episode it really is.

Many former waywards on this forum will tell you they were saved by exposure.

An affair is not a happy place. Your wife is very depressed and desperate. She us being used as a side dish.

She needs EVERYONE'S help.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/15/15 08:32 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
T She's doing it for the kids-- which is something I can build on. I think.

Yes, you can build on it if you kill the affair. If not, then nothing you do will be of effect because you are competing with a fantasy. I predict you can easily save your marriage if you snoop, get the evidence, and expose the affair. The OM is not going to risk his marriage for a little side fun. But the more entrenched the affair becomes, the more likely you will be replaced with the OM. This is why you need to act fast.

Exposure 101

W
W
Mac, as someone who has been in your place, exposure is the ONLY thing that ended my husband's affair. She is speaking lines from the Wayward Spouse handbook. The affair NEEDS to be brought to light, to everyone, including that d-bag's poor wife.

BW-27
FWH-31
DS-6
Married several years
D-Day- 11/22/13
Plan A+Exposure
NC+Beginning of Recovery-04/2014

In Recovery and happier and more in love than ever
M
OP Offline
M
I have a key logger on our computer, but can't find anything. She has deleted everything from her email account, and I don't have evidence of another account. Perhaps time with key logger will tell if she has another one. She relies on her smartphone, which she keeps very close at hand. I wouldn't be able to install anything on it, unless I can do it remotely.

She's talked to her family about our situation, and although they are sad for her, they support her. Of course, I don't know what (or if) she said about the other guy. I doubt she said anything.
The other guy's marriage isn't necessarily a happy one. But same situation in reverse; he'd like a divorce, but she doesn't. He knows that as a man, he's unlikely to have his kids full time and he doesn't want to deal with the every other weekend bit. Spouting off to his wife will expose, but may give him the push he needs to separate. Exposing the "affair" to her family won't go far either. They know him and like him; after my wife's relationship with him, he remained friends with the family for years. He'd be walking back in as a familiar face that makes their daughter happy. I'm the unhappy making guy. As for the kids. Her sister has already divorced her husband of 10 years and she's as happy as ever, with a new boyfriend (also happens to be an old boyfriend) who's great with the kids. So, in her family's view, this isn't a bad thing. Just another fork in the road.
I'm doing my best to snoop. She mainly uses Facebook messenger and email. No phone calls or texts. Again, they're separated by an ocean, so no physical contact.

Yes, I'm a sailor, but I've been in HQ for years, since the kids have arrived. I'm home, frequent absences isn't an issue.

M
M
I have a key logger on our computer, but can't find anything. She has deleted everything from her email account, and I don't have evidence of another account. Perhaps time with key logger will tell if she has another one. She relies on her smartphone, which she keeps very close at hand. I wouldn't be able to install anything on it, unless I can do it remotely.

If it is an iPhone, you can install spyware remotely. Go to the thread stickied at the top of this forum "Start here first." There is a link for spyware.

She's talked to her family about our situation, and although they are sad for her, they support her. Of course, I don't know what (or if) she said about the other guy. I doubt she said anything.

In other words, she lied to them about the real problem so she can set the stage to replace you. She lied to them because she knows they won't support her affair.

The other guy's marriage isn't necessarily a happy one. But same situation in reverse; he'd like a divorce, but she doesn't. He knows that as a man, he's unlikely to have his kids full time and he doesn't want to deal with the every other weekend bit. Spouting off to his wife will expose, but may give him the push he needs to separate. Exposing the "affair" to her family won't go far either. They know him and like him; after my wife's relationship with him, he remained friends with the family for years. He'd be walking back in as a familiar face that makes their daughter happy. I'm the unhappy making guy.

Obviously, your wife knows something you don't or she wouldn't be hiding her affair. Why hide it if they love adultery and love the OM so much? She would have no reason to spin the story. [with you starring as the villain, of course] What exposure will do is ruin the affair and most likely gain you some allies. We have had many parents who actually busted up the affair. I seriously doubt the OM will leave his family for your wife, so exposure will run him off. At this point, he is unlikely to leave his wife and children to take on YOURS.

I seriously doubt your in-laws support and advocate adultery and would have the same feelings for the OM if they knew his role in the destruction of your marriage and their grandchildren's family. Maybe they are those type of people, but I predict they would not support the OM if they knew he was attempting to wreck your family.

Exposure is your only chance at saving this. If you choose to enable the affair, she likely will leave you for the OM. Affairs thrive on secrecy, so if you become an accessory to the crime, there is nothing we can do for you.

I understand exposure sounds scary to you and you imagine all sorts of bad outcomes, but we have been through this a thousand times and know it is your best chance. There are no guarantees, but you are guaranteed to lose your wife to this OM if you sit there and allow him to replace you. That is reckless and irresponsible. Complacence reflects a lack of caring that won't be soon forgotten.

Exposure 101

M
M
The other guy's marriage isn't necessarily a happy one. But same situation in reverse; he'd like a divorce, but she doesn't.

Few marriages are "happy" when one spouse is having an affair. He is certainly neglecting his wife and children to pursue his affair with your wife.

A bad marriage is something to be turned around, not an excuse to have an affair. Having an affair never helps marriages, after all. "Bad marriage" is a classic excuse to have an affair so the betrayed spouse can be blamed. It is a PLOY to keep the BS off balance and confused.

I am curious, would you take this same complacent approach if a terrorist was breaking into your home assaulting your wife and children? Because that is what is happening and you are doing nothing to stop it. Like I said, complacence reflects a lack of caring.

Exposure 101

I
I
of course his marriage is unhappy when he is talking to his mistress!

All affairs are based on that kind of blather. Each one says only what the other one wants to hear.

You understand me much better than my real partner... We have no troubles here in our bubble...

It would be pathetically easy to bust this up.

You need to get the info off her smartphone. Do whatever you have to. Drop a chair on it and buy her a new one with spyware preinstalled.

I
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I am curious, would you take this same complacent approach if a terrorist was breaking into your home assaulting your wife and children? Because that is what is happening and you are doing nothing to stop it. Like I said, complacence reflects a lack of caring.

X2. even though she's caused this, a WW will judge a man for his complacency. We've seen men drop kick the A and move mountains to win their wives back. The other kind moves into the spare room, offers to arrange the flowers and tries not to annoy her or the lover by breathing too much.

Three guesses which guy always wins.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/15/15 01:28 PM.

M
OP Offline
M
I'll move mountains. Let's be honest, I have considered some fairly evil outcomes for this jerk off. Thankfully, we're currently on different continents, so I can't get in trouble.
All of this has been very recent, a week and a half, two max. I doubt his wife is aware of anything regarding mine. They may be in their little bubble, but it's long distance at this point. We're still in the emotional affair at best.
But everything else that you guys have been saying makes sense. I'm afraid.
Thank you all for your input so far.

Cheers,
Mac

M
M
I'll move mountains. Let's be honest, I have considered some fairly evil outcomes for this jerk off. Thankfully, we're currently on different continents, so I can't get in trouble.

Mac, if you will get the evidence of the affair, we will help you use it in a strategic, intelligent, controlled manner that will most likely result in the death of the affair. The affairees will be enraged, but you will come out looking like a hero who is only protecting his marriage and his children. [go read my exposure thread to get an idea of how we do this]

You will be effectively putting the OM in his place in a way that will be above board and blameless. We are not into the loose cannon approach, but use a very strategic approach that often gains you support while killing the affair. OM are yellow bellied cowards who typically run at the first sign of trouble. But that only holds true in the early stages of an affair. The longer this goes on, the more entrenched and the harder it is to bust up. I believe you are at an ideal place to bust it up.

Our goal is to save your marriage, not kill it. Most of us have saved our own marriages using these tactics.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks MelodyLane. I've started working on it...nothing to report yet.

I
I
As long as you follow the plans I agree with Melody Lane you're in an excellent position to blow up this house of cards.

Her idea of continuing to live with you tells me he is telling her not to expect any commitment from him in the near future

This is common. Everyone in an affair tastes the giddy crack pipe high of polygamy (One person provides for you/looks after the kids leaving a second romantic partner free entirely for fun) but men are built to enjoy polygamy more than women. The male afairee is usually very happy with getting his cake and eating it too.

This would be easy to bust up if you go about it strategically.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/15/15 03:31 PM.

B
B
All of this has been very recent, a week and a half, two max. I doubt his wife is aware of anything regarding mine. They may be in their little bubble, but it's long distance at this point. We're still in the emotional affair at best.
But everything else that you guys have been saying makes sense. I'm afraid.
Thank you all for your input so far.

Cheers,
Mac
And can you ask your doctor for some ADs (antidepressants) while you're going through this? This will help even your moods out why you are snooping and gathering evidence.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

U
U
The other guy's marriage isn't necessarily a happy one. But same situation in reverse; he'd like a divorce, but she doesn't. He knows that as a man, he's unlikely to have his kids full time and he doesn't want to deal with the every other weekend bit. Spouting off to his wife will expose, but may give him the push he needs to separate.

How do you know this? Presumably this intimate information came directly from your wife, and indirectly from her OM.

NOTE: People in affairs lie. Their very relationship is based on deceit, so there are NO LINES in the sand when it comes to what they will lie about. From now on, do not believe a word that comes out of your wife's mouth, you cannot trust it.

It is very likely that this is what the OM told your WW. It is also very likely that it is a lie. Do you think he is going to tell her "yes, my wife is great, we have an awesome marriage! I just like cake, lots and lots of cake!" No. He is going to tell her, "the only reason I am contemplating cheating (which, I've NEVER done before mind you), is because *you're so special* and my wife is mean to me and my marriage is hell on earth." He told her this lie to engage her, to make her feel special and feel like she might have a chance.

I
I
Originally Posted by unwritten
Do you think he is going to tell her "yes, my wife is great, we have an awesome marriage! I just like cake, lots and lots of cake!"

rotflmao

M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Originally Posted by unwritten
Do you think he is going to tell her "yes, my wife is great, we have an awesome marriage! I just like cake, lots and lots of cake!"

rotflmao

MAC, unwritten is exactly right. When people have affairs, they typically demonize their spouses and manufacture grievances. It is very likely she is telling him that you abuse her. The "story" to your family will be that "she has been unhappy for years and years." The idea is to set the stage to replace you with the OM by garnering sympathy.

Exposure 101

R
R
I agree.

Exposing to the OMW was the killer of my wife's affair... very powerful indeed.

Me: BH 38, WW:35
Married: 9 years
Together: 11 years
2 Kids: 8,6
M
OP Offline
M
Alright. I have a key logger installed on computer. So I now have her email and FB password. Conveniently, everything from or to him was deleted on email. I did a "recover deleted emails" and got a couple emails. They are being careful since the emails didn't have long chains. Nothing more than friendly chit chat, but as two former lovers that are rekindling. In other words, no smoking gun, but their conversation is now fairly familiar for two people who haven't talked in 5 years and started again two weeks ago. They have been sending messages by Facebook and all that I have is him sending her pictures of him with her family from back in the day, them when they dated about 18 years ago, pictures of her, etc. She's asking him for more of those pictures. Saying she loves how big his hand is next to her head, and him replying for her not to get too excited because "the myth isn't true". Then she sent him pictures of herself she just took tonight in the bathroom (fully dressed). In between all that, it's chit chat about what she was doing today, what she's cooking dinner. Saturday night we had another talked and I mentioned him, saying that I'm offended that she's talking to him and she denied there was anything. Told me that my attitude towards him is why she changed her passwords, and that she was entitled to her privacy. I know, tell-tale clues. I backed off. So in today's exchange she told him not to worry about me, that my little outburst discussion (I was a bit emotional) was only me grasping at straws and that I knew that our problems had nothing to do with him. They say "miss you" and "miss u more". I'm now sickened. It's still early in their courtship, but it's clearly that.

What do I do now? I don't have much, I've copied that Facebook message chain. The other emails didn't have much and could go either way (friends being friends or more). Should I contact his wife and ask that she monitor his stuff? Is it too early, she may blow the whole thing up without much evidence and send them underground. Right now, my wife has no idea I can see all of that. I don't want to expose too early, but don't want to let them get too cosy. Again, for those joining in... we're currently overseas, so there won't be able to meet in person until we return home in the summer.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all again. Yes anti-depressants would be great. That knot in my stomach is really getting tiresome and I doubt I'll fall asleep tonight.

P
P
This is clearly an affair. My husband's started the same way as well-skirting the line of decency for a while, but nothing totally over the line until later. The veterans on this site will tell you what to do, but honestly, I would expose. This is too much and too familiar for a married woman. The miss you's and hand comments alone are enough.

My husband was simply saying, "you're a great girl" and said it was nothing and then jumped into bed with her a few weeks later. You know flirting when you see it. This is flirting.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
P
P
By the way, married people aren't "entitled to privacy." Everything she does affects you and she needs to be totally transparent in a marriage. My brother once told me that he stopped talking to a classmate completely (when he was getting a phd) after one exchange that my sister in-law witnessed when the woman was dropping off papers at their house. My sis in-law basically said, "I didn't like the way she talked to you, please don't be friends with her." And he dropped our of the study group that she was in and never talked to her again. That's how you handle things when your spouse is uncomfortable with an OS friend.

M
M
So in today's exchange she told him not to worry about me, that my little outburst discussion (I was a bit emotional) was only me grasping at straws and that I knew that our problems had nothing to do with him. They say "miss you" and "miss u more". I'm now sickened. It's still early in their courtship, but it's clearly that.

What do I do now? I don't have much, I've copied that Facebook message chain. The other emails didn't have much and could go either way (friends being friends or more). Should I contact his wife and ask that she monitor his stuff? Is it too early, she may blow the whole thing up without much evidence and send them underground. Right now, my wife has no idea I can see all of that. I don't want to expose too early, but don't want to let them get too cosy. Again, for those joining in... we're currently overseas, so there won't be able to meet in person until we return home in the summer.

Just chill until you have evidence of an affair. Stop bringing it up. Don't discuss it anymore.

See if you can get some spyware on her phone too.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
I completely agree with you PigletWiglet.

MelodyLane- I looked at the phone spy recommended in your exposure site (do you get kick backs?). I was about to install it, but at one point it said that it would send an email to the AppleID email (for her phone), which freaked me out. I thought it could be done without target's knowledge (I have her AppleID and password). I could do when I know she's sleeping and phone off, then hack into her email and delete that email. But I need to make sure she won't get anything else or see any type of alert or display. It seemed clear that it would run in secret...

Very hard to act cool here. I couldn't sleep and got up, checked Facebook and low and behold, she's on Facebook too and not sleeping (well beyond midnight). So now I'm sitting at the computer on her Facebook account reading their chat live. They're skirting the line of decency-- she's good at bringing it back, but he likes to steer the convo back to [censored] and boobs. Every once in a while I copy the transcript and save to my laptop. They're planning to meet for lunch or a drink this summer when she visits her parents (without me since I'll be at my new job). It's clear that she's setting the stage, but she's not getting in deep. As she puts it, she's trying to get reacquainted with him, asking about his job, etc. Every once in a while I just want to run into the room and just yell at her!! In case you didn't get it, we don't sleep in the same room anymore. Doesn't seem like she heard me get up, else I think she would have mentioned it to loverboy, or perhaps would have been freaked out to have me near computer. Apart from planning a meeting in late July, talking about fake boobs (his wife's friends) and her great butt (my wife's), it's been a typical teenage fantasy conversation. It's sickening.

I doubt they'll get any more serious than that stage for a long while. I can monitor for some more time to see if they plan anything else, etc. I know my wife, she won't send him any "nude pics" over the internet, she's not a dirty talker or phone/internet sex kinda girl. So not much will happen until they meet in July. As you've all said before, until then they will just get more reacquainted in their problem-free bubble.

So what do you say, how much longer should I let them chat? Knowing that as soon as I expose, my source runs dry. Unless they're really dumb.

N
N
Mac, if you have her Apple ID and password, just use Wondershare Dr. Fone. There won't be any emails sent.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
M
M
I completely agree with you PigletWiglet.

MelodyLane- I looked at the phone spy recommended in your exposure site (do you get kick backs?). I was about to install it, but at one point it said that it would send an email to the AppleID email (for her phone), which freaked me out. I thought it could be done without target's knowledge (I have her AppleID and password). I could do when I know she's sleeping and phone off, then hack into her email and delete that email. But I need to make sure she won't get anything else or see any type of alert or display. It seemed clear that it would run in secret...

No, I do not get a kickback. I was trying to be helpful. But I did take valuable time from my real job to post to you. My time here is entirely voluntary.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
MelodyLane-- I'm sorry, it was a joke, I meant no offence at all. I should have added a smiley face for context.

So their conversation ended, a lot of memory lane stuff. But they ended with "Love you". I'm gutted.

M
M
thanks for the clarification!

Sorry you had to read that, but keep doing what you are doing and copying the conversations. In the meantime, go to the OM's Facebook page and copy and paste all his Facebook contacts while you can. Paste them into a text doc for safekeeping. Once things get intense we will help you strategically blow up this affair.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
I understand the need to expose and blow it all up. But in exposing my wife on Facebook to all of our friends and colleagues, I would find it very hard to look at them in the face if and when all this sorts itself out. Even if I couldn't save my marriage, I'd have a hard time. I know that it would show everyone that I tried all that I could, but at the same time it's a lot of laundry to air. Can't exposure be restricted to his family, her family? I know it may seem like half measures, but exposing to their/our families would have sufficient effect to freak them both out. At this point, either it will break it off or I'm guessing resolved them to official leave their spouses and give it a try. After I said their convo was done, they started up again. They're deep in lovey-dovey, I'm glad you opened the door with that or that comment, we're something special you and I. It's clear that he's loved her since they dated (close to 18 years ago) and I'm getting the impression she never stopped having feelings for him. If that's the case, am I done? If she truly has had feelings for him for so long (and without rewriting history), could it be true that she no longer loves me, loves him and that's that? Nearly 2am and I'm not about to fall asleep. Long day ahead for me.

A
A
Mac, you need to understand this is fantasy. Would you lure a long-lost love by talking about her boobs? Is that how you got your wife to go on a first date? No, its being used for cheap thrills. Its an insult. Once you get how this is a silly fantasy and bring it to REALITY, you can fight it.

M
M
I understand the need to expose and blow it all up. But in exposing my wife on Facebook to all of our friends and colleagues, I would find it very hard to look at them in the face if and when all this sorts itself out.

Facebook exposure should be done to the OM's contacts, not your wife's. The exposure to your wife's side should be close family and friends, most of which will be via phone call.

But I think the basic issue is that you view exposure as a bad thing when it is a good thing. Exposure is the most therapeutic thing you can do for your wife and the OM. So, I am unclear why you would want to RESTRICT a much needed therapy? It doesn't help you, your kids or your wife. The greatest danger is doing a trickle, half way exposure, because it does not kill the affair, only emboldens the affairees. This is why you need to be thorough.

Even if I couldn't save my marriage, I'd have a hard time. I know that it would show everyone that I tried all that I could, but at the same time it's a lot of laundry to air. Can't exposure be restricted to his family, her family?

With the OM, you will want to go farther than that because you have no idea who will be influential with him. With him, for example, you will want to expose to his parents, family members and married friends.

I know it may seem like half measures, but exposing to their/our families would have sufficient effect to freak them both out.

And this is what you don't know because you don't have experience at this. I think your approach comes from a wrong headed belief that exposure is a bad thing. It is a good thing. You should not restrict your greatest weapon against the affair. It is not strategic and makes no sense.

After I said their convo was done, they started up again. They're deep in lovey-dovey, I'm glad you opened the door with that or that comment, we're something special you and I. It's clear that he's loved her since they dated (close to 18 years ago) and I'm getting the impression she never stopped having feelings for him. If that's the case, am I done? If she truly has had feelings for him for so long (and without rewriting history), could it be true that she no longer loves me, loves him and that's that? Nearly 2am and I'm not about to fall asleep. Long day ahead for me.

She truly has feelings for him and may have fallen out of love with you. We already knew that, though. That describes 99% of affairs. That is what we are here to fix. Her relationship with dirtbag has no future.

hopefully you are saving a copy of their chat logs.

Exposure 101

M
M
It's very much like a crack head. Crack heads LOVE crack! They love that high. But does the high last? No, it doesn't because life cannot exist while on crack. And what happens when you invite a crowd of people into the crackhouse to watch the crack heads get high? It is no fun to get high with every one watching!

Our goal is to remove the crack pipe [the OM] from the life of your wife. Once we do that, we will teach you how to create romantic love in your marriage. A love that this marriage wrecking dirtbag can't touch.

Ask yourself what kind of creep has an affair with a married woman?

Exposure 101

G
G
Mac,

You wrote, I know my wife, she won't send him any "nude pics" over the internet, she's not a dirty talker or phone/internet sex kinda girl.

When your WW is in an affair you do not know her, recognize that an affair is an addiction. Just as you would not trust a drug addict with family heirlooms, you cannot trust your WW not to engage in phone or internet sex, in fact it is probable.

God Bless
Gamma

A
A
I know it may seem like half measures, but exposing to their/our families would have sufficient effect to freak them both out. At this point, either it will break it off or I'm guessing resolved them to official leave their spouses and give it a try.

I agree with Melody, you do not know what will be sufficient to freak them out. But having been where you are, I cannot fathom that you would ever regret OVER exposing them. I would bet money you would regret under exposing if it doesn't work out the way you think it will.

Since this is all so new to you, it's easy where you are you to feel like her affair makes her a bad person, and will make everyone around you feel like she is a bad person, and thus you both will never be able to overcome the stigma of an affair.

But if you look at the stories on this forum you will see people of all walks of life in all positions in society (even sacred ones, such as clergy!) having affairs. This is because anyone is capable of having an affair if they are not careful. Dr. Harley says this himself often. Not sure if you're a Christian, but the Bible plainly speaks to this:

Matthew 15:19 - For out of the heart come evil thoughts�murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

This is a natural temptation if you place yourself in harm's way!

And don't kid yourself about other people either. Infidelity, abuse, pornography addiction, neglect...any one of these problems have likely affected marriages in the people around you, they affect nearly every marriage at one point or another. Don't think these people you are worried about having to face have perfect marriages with no struggles or problems to overcome.

It's very intimidating, but you need to remember your marriage is already in terrible danger and there's no use pretending that your wife does not desperately need the help of your close friends and family. That's reality.

I'm so sorry you've found yourself here like so many of us have in the past, but worrying about how your friends and family will view you (or your wife) going forward is not a luxury you can afford right now. You've got to focus and hit this thing between the eyes as hard as you possibly can.

This is the sort of situation where at least some of the people around you are going to disagree with your course of action no matter what you do. You can't let that influence your decision.

This is your marriage to fight for. That's what matters here.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"

My story
I
I
It's a critical mistake to make to think you know her. While an addict she bears little resemblance to the person you knew.

If you leave her any friends or supporters, who don't know - the addict will cling to that.

There have been lots of people scared to expose who are now to 'go to' couple for advice. You'll be amazed at how sympathetic people are. You'll be amazed that there are cheats among them! You'll be amazed to discover you aren't some sort of social freak - more than half your targets have experienced this themselves.

But we don't talk about it!

It's critical you find out which friends are supportive, and which have cheat mindsets themselves.

You don't have the luxury to be embarrassed.

I
I
As for the 'true love' theory. It's always possible to fall for old flameses. Dr H says that feeling never goes away.

You might discard someone for a very logical reasons and move on - but affairs don't care about logic.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/17/15 02:00 AM.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks all.

MelodyLane - I've kept a copy of their chat last night. It's incriminating enough.
After snooping on that chat, I stayed on the couch in the living room and decided to sleep there. She came by, not sure why she came out of the room-- I know I made some noise and perhaps she came to check. I was clearly distraught, but didn't divulge that I had read anything. Just told her I couldn't sleep, she thought I had never gone to bed and had decided to stay on couch all night. So that worked out. We talked a bit, but it was all the same arguments- told her that I couldn't allow our marriage to fail, for us but also for the kids. That we had hit rock bottom, but could rebuild from there and make sure that we're both happy in our lives. Together. For her it was the same, no longer have those feelings, won't come back, etc. But for the kids, she's not leaving. I pressed on, what happens in a year? She told me that she didn't tell her family that she was leaving me, but we were going through something very difficult. Was that a door for possible reconciliation? She's still adamant that it's not and she can't help how she feels. I told her that it hurt me that she's talking to OM, in full privacy mode. She still maintained that its a friendship. Told her from my perspective, it looks like she's keeping me at a distance because of him. She again said that we had crossed a bridge of no return in our marriage before she started talking to him, so he has nothing to do with our situation. She wasn't admitting to falling for him, but not denying it. I didn't want to divulge how much I knew, I may have already cause some damage in my efforts. She truly seemed torn, tearing up. The harm it will do to our kids is truly the key. But she feels what she feels! She doesn't understand why I'm not letting go, why I'm doing this to her; she just wants to be happy and it won't be with me.
It hurts me, I want her to be happy, and maybe she's right that it'll never be with me. And maybe she would be with this guy. Although, I doubt it. It wouldn't really last long, I think. Doesn't seem like he grew up very much, but he does seem to be the type of guy that people like. He'd make her happy for a while. Anyways, we left off the conversation with me reiterating that I'm not letting go without fighting for us.

I know you had said to say nothing. But I got caught on the couch with tears in my eyes (I'm weak, I know). A talk was inevitable, I think we wanted to see if I had read anything and she seemed to think I didn't. Key logger report from this morning hasn't revealed her trying to change her FB password or anything, she just went on to surf on her page. From keylogger and internet search history I can see that she's constantly looking at pictures on his FB page (him, his kids, wife, etc) and every so often she does the same with her own pictures (us, the kids, etc). I'm hopefully she's torn despite her being adamant that it's over.

Indiegirl- yes, you're right, old flames sometimes never die. There is still a girl from high school that I think about-- one that got away. We never dated actually, but got close and I loved her so much. Broke my heart. We're friends on FB, never really talked though. Saw that she went through a divorce and now back in a relationship after a few years. I never, ever contacted her. I think of her, but know that it's that nostalgic feeling, "the one that got away". If we had dated and broken up, perhaps I would have let it go. To add details to my wife's story with this guy. They were friends, then dated. She wasn't sexually active then, so nothing ever happened. But he was smitten and has carried the flame. She has referenced their night on a road trip in a hotel, where something could have happened, but nothing did. It's clear that she thinks about that and wants to make amends. He thinks he'll finally have sex with a girl he's wanted for 18 years, so he's fat dumb and happy. Now that I'm airing our laundry, I may say that he had sex with her sister right after their breakup-- that's why they stopped talking for years. He had stayed friends with the family. I can't wait to throw that one in there-- how will Thanksgiving dinner be with your parents, the new/old boyfriend, your sister that slept with him and her new boyfriend that will certainly find out about that history.

Sigh. Long rant. Feel like I'm coming undone, but it feels good to talk about it. I'm not talking to anyone else about it, wouldn't know who to talk to. So this is good.

Thanks all.

Mac

A
A
Mac,

You're not weak for getting upset about this. It means you are human. You should talk to your doctor about anti-depressants for the time being, it will help you have the clarity you need right now to fight this battle.

Don't feel bad for having a long rant. It's good for you to have outlets for venting right now that AREN'T your wife. When you expose, you will find friends who understand and support your marriage, and you can vent to them too.

You are in limbo, and being in limbo is terrible so you're going to want to get out of limbo by trying to talk about your marriage with your wife. You cannot do this. Even though you haven't exposed yet you need to be in Plan A, and that means no relationship talk for the time being. When you're troubled about being in limbo, I would recommend that you instead get on here and read/learn as much as you can so that you are more prepared. Here's some places to get started:

Dr. Harley on Plan A/Plan B

Another betrayed husband who won his wife back through a STRONG Plan A

Read Mr. Wondering's posts on Plan A here, they are excellent

Your wife doesn't understand how romantic relationships begin or she wouldn't have let herself get close to this other man. You can use that to your advantage right now by working to make life at home/with you as pleasant for her as possible. You will be making yourself more attractive to her without her even realizing it's happening, because as you've said, right now she does not want that.

No arguments, no relationship talk, no conversations about OM or the affair(until you expose). You have lived with this woman and have the inside track on how to spoil her, and I would encourage you to take advantage of that. Nothing over the top, just all of the little things she likes and needs from you. You're going to have to create a contrast here that the exposure will draw out when it happens: life with you is good, life with OM is stressful and shameful. You can work on life with you right now, and when you expose it will take care of life with OM. Make a list TODAY of things you can do that your wife would enjoy or has asked you for in the past and get started on that. Don't expect her to thank you or show gratitude, you're just planting seeds here that will sprout once you do a WIDE exposure and help her understand that she has no future with OM.

But every conversation about your marriage or relationship will push her as if she has to make a decision now, which you don't want (yet). And every conversation about her relationship with the other guy will make her more concerned about taking it underground where you won't be able to snoop and monitor its progress, which you don't want either. Snooping is a strategic asset, and without it you will lose all intel on how you can bust up this affair. You already have a very good start on knowing what is happening in their world, and you need to preserve and protect that channel into their world. She is headed towards giving you the type of information you must have when you expose...you need to have what would be sufficient to convince a judge or jury that your wife is having an affair when you go to expose. It will prevent her from being able to push back and call you a liar, which is what she will desperately want to do (and may even try).

After exposure you can talk to her about the affair, but even then it should be limited to how much the affair is hurting you. Right now I would not say a word about it so that she does not take their relationship underground where you can't snoop. The more she realizes you are aware, the more paranoid she will become.

And to recap, talk to your Dr. about ADs so you keep a cool head throughout this ASAP. The more evidence you get of their relationship, the more difficult it will become not to be emotional with her. Keep your head up, you're in a great position to bust this thing up and win your wife back compared to a lot of BHs who come through here!

My story
M
M
I know you had said to say nothing. But I got caught on the couch with tears in my eyes (I'm weak, I know). A talk was inevitable, I think we wanted to see if I had read anything and she seemed to think I didn't. Key logger report from this morning hasn't revealed her trying to change her FB password or anything, she just went on to surf on her page. From keylogger and internet search history I can see that she's constantly looking at pictures on his FB page (him, his kids, wife, etc) and every so often she does the same with her own pictures (us, the kids, etc). I'm hopefully she's torn despite her being adamant that it's over.

Mac, I want you to buck up here, because your situation is very hopeful. You feel hopeless because you don't understand what is happening. There is more hope today than 3 days ago when you arrived.

Let me explain what has happened here. Women are only in love with one man at a time. [men are wired differently] She has rekindled her relationship with this man and has fallen in love with him. It is a fantasy relationship much like a crack high that won't be able to withstand the light of day. I don't know what her future plan with this guy is, but the affair is the reason WHY she has fallen out of love. Sure, the love in your marriage was probably on the downward spiral, but her affair is what killed her feelings.

Be assured that her feelings of love CAN COME BACK if you will follow this plan. The first step is to gather evidence for a couple more days and then expose the affair. Once you do that, I predict the affair will end immediately.

Once the affair is killed and the OM is effectively run off, you can begin the hard work to restore the love in your marriage.

Exposure 101

I
I
Mac you will be OK no matter what!

Now stop talking to her for goodness sakes! She has jelly for brains at the moment. It's like talking to a lovesick 13yo girl about what will 'happen in a year'! She has absolutely no idea and doesn't care so long as her addiction doesn't die TODAY. Addicts only care about today. She will be in gruesome,awful pain when it ends - but then she won't remember it at all!

Unfriend the ex, Mac. Start modelling the behaviour you expect.

If she catches you looking teary again say 'Because I love you so much and nothing is too good for you'.

You are on Plan A duty round the clock.

Get ADs.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/17/15 10:14 AM.

R
R

Mac, I want you to buck up here, because your situation is very hopeful. You feel hopeless because you don't understand what is happening. There is more hope today than 3 days ago when you arrived.

Let me explain what has happened here. Women are only in love with one man at a time. [men are wired differently] She has rekindled her relationship with this man and has fallen in love with him. It is a fantasy relationship much like a crack high that won't be able to withstand the light of day. I don't know what her future plan with this guy is, but the affair is the reason WHY she has fallen out of love. Sure, the love in your marriage was probably on the downward spiral, but her affair is what killed her feelings.

Be assured that her feelings of love CAN COME BACK if you will follow this plan. The first step is to gather evidence for a couple more days and then expose the affair. Once you do that, I predict the affair will end immediately.

Once the affair is killed and the OM is effectively run off, you can begin the hard work to restore the love in your marriage.

Bingo!! Exactly how it's working for me!!

Me: BH 38, WW:35
Married: 9 years
Together: 11 years
2 Kids: 8,6
I
I
Thanks all.

MelodyLane - I've kept a copy of their chat last night. It's incriminating enough.

Great! So you're ready for exposure, then?

The most effective exposures are done in 24 hours or less - don't drag it out so they hardly feel it. Ideally you want both his and her phone blown up by shocked people who are confronting them about it. Nuke the A.

Waywards are often prepared for discovery so you have to give them something they are truly unprepared for. They prep for one or two people's discovery and have little speeches like 'My marriage had already crossed a no return bridge before I started catting around' - speeches which sound plausible when it's being delivered to one or two people.

'My marriage had already crossed a no return bridge before I started catting around' - doesn't sound plausible when you are talking to everyone you know.

M
OP Offline
M
Sigh. No I'm not ready for exposure yet. I'm terrified about that.

She sent me an email today while I was at work asking for a "truce" so that we'd stop talking about it because it's upsetting both of us. Neither one of us can sleep, etc. Of course, last night she couldn't sleep because she was chatting with buddy. She reiterated that she wasn't going anywhere for now, we're keeping the family intact for sake of kids. But she's over me. Buddy had nothing to do with it, etc. They're friends and it makes her feel better (yes the crack). But she can't believe that I'd think I'd run off with someone else, especially at this time when she's so broken, etc. She's focussed on living in the moment and we'll see where this path leads us. Wants us to stop being awkward around each other and live normally (but without the touching/hugging/ kissing). It made me feel better. I though our chat last night may have hit a nerve and she was ready to snap out of it and give us a chance, without necessarily saying it that way. I had a great day after that. I got home and instant knot in stomach. She's not saying much to me. Fed kids, then she went to bed-- convenient, she's dead tired so likely story. I snooped her email and she sent him a note that she had another discussion with me, sent me an email to call truce. She suspects I snooped her FB messages because I didn't seem to be grasping at straws anymore (I told her I suspected she was falling in love with him based on fact she admitted sending him emails and fact that she was always clutching her phone hiding something). I didn't divulge anything, just told her what I thought as a husband who was told his wife no longer loved him and she turned to "a friend". Anyways, she told him that they should contact by email now (easier for me to snoop). She told him that I don't seem to understand that she ended things with me before contacting him. She's tired of all this and we still have 3 months abroad before heading home-- which is another point that scares me since we're looking for a rental house together when we return (offer is in), so what does she think happens in 3 months when we return? Officially dumping me, leaving me high and dry? Starting the physical relationship with him? That email was no more than venting to a friend, but told him not to sending "private" stuff on FB to avoid giving me ammo in case I'm snooping. So while I thought out email exchange may have been a step in the right direction, it seems once more that she's lying to keep me clueless and subdued and she's not stopping him from sending lovey-dovey emails.

So I still want to collect evidence, just in case I see that she's keeping him at bay.

Like I said, we're abroad with our 3 kids. She's homeschooling two of the kids, no real friends apart from one set of acquaintances. Although I know it'll likely end the affair, I'm afraid the exposure would create havoc here. Another tidbit... next weekend is our son's 3rd birthday. I would rather not be in a crap-storm that day for his sake. Second, the following weekend is her 40th birthday... we had planned something special as a family and still committed to it. I would also rather not destroy that day with exposure before hand. It would be a memory that I'd rather be protected rather than remembered as that period I exposed her to the world. We're having dinner in the Eiffel tower... I know, cry for me. Timing couldn't be worst.

I've taken your advice. No more relationship talk, no more about the affair. I'm supportive and loving. Should I change my FB pictures to that of our family or me and her? Or would that be too obvious and grating for her? I had thought of doing it a few days ago, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I wanted to post the pictures and tag her in them so that buddy can see them as well (we're not FB friends).

Thanks,

M
M
Let me know when you are ready to expose and we can move onto next steps. Nothing much to do until that happens and the longer you wait the harder it will be to bust up her affair.

Exposure 101

M
M
"Sigh. No I'm not ready for exposure yet. I'm terrified about that"

And yes, we were all terrified. But you wont succeed if you allow fear to be your ruler. You should be more afraid of what will happen if you don't.

Exposure 101

M
M
"Like I said, we're abroad with our 3 kids. She's homeschooling two of the kids, no real friends apart from one set of acquaintances. Although I know it'll likely end the affair, I'm afraid the exposure would create havoc here. Another tidbit... next weekend is our son's 3rd birthday. I would rather not be in a crap-storm that day for his sake. Second, the following weekend is her 40th birthday... we had planned something special as a family and still committed to it. I would also rather not destroy that day with exposure before hand. It would be a memory that I'd rather be protected rather than remembered as that period I exposed her to the world. We're having dinner in the Eiffel tower... I know, cry for me. Timing couldn't be worst. "

There is no such thing as a "perfect time." I view the above as conflict avoidance. It is in your sons best interest that you bust up his mothers affair and save his family. He won't remember his 3rd birthday party but he will remember losing his family because you wouldn't lift a finger to run off some creepy OM.

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me know when you are ready to expose and we can move onto next steps. Nothing much to do until that happens and the longer you wait the harder it will be to bust up her affair.

Don't skip this and then post big long updates. There's no point to much of anything else you do if you are going to skip this.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
. I would rather not be in a crap-storm that day for his sake.

Your wife is having an affair - how are you NOT in a crap-storm?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
A
Mac,

We get two kinds of husbands with WW.

The ones who cower in the face of another man who is trying to replace them, and two, the ones who fight to defend their families in the face of a threat.

Right now, you are in the first category. You should also understand that is the path that will lead to divorce.

We get you are scared, but are you so scared you will let yourself be replaced?

You avoid this because of a 3rd birthday? Do you care if OM hosts the 4th birthday next year? Do you understand what your inaction is leading to?

M
OP Offline
M
I won't skip the exposure. I know it needs to happen.

P
P
The longer you avoid exposure, the more damage is done to your marriage and the harder recovery becomes.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

K
K

At this point that is the top priority. There is no chance in getting your wife to think straight while this is going on. It has to be stopped immediately and the surest way to do that is exposure as far and wide as possible and as soon as possible. I believe the evidence you have suffices. That should be your main focus until it's done.

I
I
Sigh. No I'm not ready for exposure yet. I'm terrified about that.

She sent me an email today while I was at work asking for a "truce" so that we'd stop talking about it because it's upsetting both of us. Neither one of us can sleep, etc. Of course, last night she couldn't sleep because she was chatting with buddy. She reiterated that she wasn't going anywhere for now, we're keeping the family intact for sake of kids. But she's over me. Buddy had nothing to do with it, etc. They're friends and it makes her feel better (yes the crack). But she can't believe that I'd think I'd run off with someone else, especially at this time when she's so broken, etc. She's focussed on living in the moment and we'll see where this path leads us. Wants us to stop being awkward around each other and live normally (but without the touching/hugging/ kissing). It made me feel better. I though our chat last night may have hit a nerve and she was ready to snap out of it and give us a chance, without necessarily saying it that way. I had a great day after that. I got home and instant knot in stomach. She's not saying much to me. Fed kids, then she went to bed-- convenient, she's dead tired so likely story. I snooped her email and she sent him a note that she had another discussion with me, sent me an email to call truce. She suspects I snooped her FB messages because I didn't seem to be grasping at straws anymore (I told her I suspected she was falling in love with him based on fact she admitted sending him emails and fact that she was always clutching her phone hiding something). I didn't divulge anything, just told her what I thought as a husband who was told his wife no longer loved him and she turned to "a friend". Anyways, she told him that they should contact by email now (easier for me to snoop). She told him that I don't seem to understand that she ended things with me before contacting him. She's tired of all this and we still have 3 months abroad before heading home-- which is another point that scares me since we're looking for a rental house together when we return (offer is in), so what does she think happens in 3 months when we return? Officially dumping me, leaving me high and dry? Starting the physical relationship with him? That email was no more than venting to a friend, but told him not to sending "private" stuff on FB to avoid giving me ammo in case I'm snooping. So while I thought out email exchange may have been a step in the right direction, it seems once more that she's lying to keep me clueless and subdued and she's not stopping him from sending lovey-dovey emails.

So I still want to collect evidence, just in case I see that she's keeping him at bay.

Like I said, we're abroad with our 3 kids. She's homeschooling two of the kids, no real friends apart from one set of acquaintances. Although I know it'll likely end the affair, I'm afraid the exposure would create havoc here. Another tidbit... next weekend is our son's 3rd birthday. I would rather not be in a crap-storm that day for his sake. Second, the following weekend is her 40th birthday... we had planned something special as a family and still committed to it. I would also rather not destroy that day with exposure before hand. It would be a memory that I'd rather be protected rather than remembered as that period I exposed her to the world. We're having dinner in the Eiffel tower... I know, cry for me. Timing couldn't be worst.

I've taken your advice. No more relationship talk, no more about the affair. I'm supportive and loving. Should I change my FB pictures to that of our family or me and her? Or would that be too obvious and grating for her? I had thought of doing it a few days ago, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I wanted to post the pictures and tag her in them so that buddy can see them as well (we're not FB friends).

Thanks,

Awwww. So glad her claptrap makes you 'feel better' while your kids lose their mother.

Translation: you sat down and had a few puffs of what she's smoking. You feel so much better when she's leading you the Hope House of Mirrors, that you just want to hang on just one more DAY! Hang logic and long term!

It's not just waywards who get foggy on love.

next weekend is our son's 3rd birthday. ,

Are you freaking kidding me? I exposed to bereaved parents on the first anniversary of the death. People here have blown apart family Christmases because the A is more important - you are chickening out over a child's bday party?

So it's OK for your child to be betrayed on that day and each one leading up?

You're terrified. We all were. Hands shaking as I sent out the messages.

You can't say you're not ready to go over the top and expect to win the war.

I
I

Why are you talking to a drunk instead of taking the bottle away?

She can't hear you and won't remember any of this.

I
I
The Eiffel tower dinner wont work. She knows you are doing nothing about her A. The addict wants that situation to continue - but the wife side of her judges you for it.

M
M

The perfect time is now, not later. You will always find a multitude of "reasons" to put this off if you are looking.

Exposure 101

A
A
Mac,

I'm going to be a bit of a counterweight here and say make sure your evidence is solid before you expose. Your wife is going to want to control everyone's reaction and the better your evidence is, the less she will be able to do that. Friends and relatives of waywards love to find excuses and practice denial of what is rather obvious to everyone else.

From what you've said about their emails already to this point, it looks pretty damning to me. Is there any way you could summarize more of what exactly has been said between them? The vets here have helped other posters hundreds or thousands of times and will be able to tell you when you've got your smoking gun.

Another aspect of this is you need to be confident and assertive about this, and be ready for that. People are going to try to talk you into believing that you're making assumptions or that you're jumping to conclusions. You need to be firm with these people and stick to your guns when you go to expose.

The "truce" talk is a trap. It means that your wife wants you to sit back and be a nice boy while she demolishes your family and runs off with OM. My wife acted the same way. While you don't want to pursue conflict with her, she needs to understand clearly that while she may want to pursue abandoning your marriage, you are not interested. You can say this respectfully when the topic comes up. If she asks for a "truce" that actually means "agree to give up on the marriage" you can simply keep it to "I care about you and am not interested in a divorce" and leave it there. She may want that, but you don't have to help her with it and she would much prefer that you did so she can offload some of her guilt onto you. "See, he wants it too!"

I would not believe her timeline you mentioned at the beginning of her wanting to "stay with you for the sake of your kids" for one minute. She is wandering aimlessly in the fog right now, she probably has no idea what she wants to do in 3 weeks let alone a year.

I think you are doing alright here, but I agree with the others about the 40th birthday deal, for three reasons:

(1) You WILL be miserable trying to keep up a charade during this birthday party, and I would bet money you will physically feel ill if you all are planning to eat there. Yes, it was thoughtful and all, but those plans were made before your wife decided to torpedo your marriage. You are NOT unreasonable in the least to alter such plans. Your life has just fundamentally changed, whether you recover your marriage here or not. Life is not the same as it was when you planned this party and there's no reason at all to pretend it is.

(2) Your wife does NOT care about you right now and I doubt the event would mean anything to her if the affair had 3 months to develop. She'd might smile and say thanks, and then blow you off to go call OM on her cell phone. Trust me man, I have been here. My birthday was about 2 weeks before d-day in my situation (and about 2 weeks after my wife had told me many of the same things yours has and asked to separate) and my wife bought me a bag of chips as a birthday present. Not kidding. She's in lala land, dude. Things like birthdays and family events are the farthest thing from her mind. She is in the midst of adultery, family is meaningless to her right now. It's not BAD to do nice things for her, that's the whole point of Plan A, but you need to understand they are drops in the bucket for her until OM is gone.

(3) Most important reason: You cannot afford to wait 3 months. If you get sufficient evidence in 5 days, you need to expose in 6, at the latest. 3 months is more than enough time to take your situation from hopeful to hopeless. The more your wife gets wrapped up in OM, the worse off you are.

Lots here to digest from everyone. We're in your corner here, we just do not want to see you make very costly mistakes we've seen others make or have made ourselves.

My story
A
A
Originally Posted by indiegirl
You're terrified. We all were. Hands shaking as I sent out the messages.

Yes, exactly. Same for me too. It was a nervous rush, scared of what I was doing but hopeful because it was my only hope and satisfying because it was tearing me up to keep my wife's affair a secret.

My story
W
W
Let me just say, I didn't want to expose either. My husband has a career that he could very literally lose his job because of adultery. I was scared. I was scared ***EDIT***. Guess what? A year and a half later I have my marriage and family back together and we're well into recovery. MOSTLY because I exposed and killed the affair that way. Waiting does NOTHING to help you. Nothing!

Last edited by Ariel; 03/17/15 04:38 PM. Reason: Do not bypass the profanity filter. Dr Harley does not want profanity on his board. Please respect this.

BW-27
FWH-31
DS-6
Married several years
D-Day- 11/22/13
Plan A+Exposure
NC+Beginning of Recovery-04/2014

In Recovery and happier and more in love than ever
I
I
Originally Posted by axslinger85
The "truce" talk is a trap. It means that your wife wants you to sit back and be a nice boy while she demolishes your family and runs off with OM.

Yes and she then emailed OM about the 'truce' to reassure him she had put him back in his box!

Mac, you have done nothing aggressive to warrant talk of a 'truce' - they know you should be less passive. But are gaslighting you into allowing an attack.

Married women are preferred mistresses for married men - but women fall too much in love to keep up the double life. They get in trouble for not managing the home deceit as well as he is. She's been instructed to manage you and prevent you causing trouble for him and his wife.

That's all she cares about - doing as her dealer bids. She won't even notice you Plan A ing her before an exposure.

(3) Most important reason: You cannot afford to wait 3 months. If you get sufficient evidence in 5 days, you need to expose in 6, at the latest. 3 months is more than enough time to take your situation from hopeful to hopeless. The more your wife gets wrapped up in OM, the worse off you are.

I will always remember a guy who had Plan Nothinged (it's not Plan A without exposure) for many months, just trying not to annoy her or upset the affair, telling Dr H he was now ready to expose.

Two years he'd waited.

Dr H said there was nothing he could now do. After months of passive, doormat behaviour Dr H said he was unlikely to ever be attractive enough to win his wife back, even if the A ended.

He said "It is very hard to save a marriage if you are an enabler".

I've not ever seen a man get away with allowing another man consequence-free access to his wife and then recover.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/17/15 04:19 PM.

A
A
Mac,

A meek husband cannot compete with OM, who she views as a knight in shining armor.

At your dinner, you will sound like blah blah blah while she daydreams.

Reach into your trousers, get a firm grip of those two, and chase this weasel out of your family's life.

M
OP Offline
M
I'll get myself ready for the exposure in the next couple of days. I think I have enough, but would have preferred a bit more. Their discussions weren't rich in damming evidence, apart from planning a meeting in July for lunch or a drink, some racy topics and him remembering she had a nice butt. They referenced discussions where they opened up about their feelings, but I don't have those emails/texts/messages, they've been deleted and I can't recover them. He made mention of her saying that they shoulda/coulda/woulda (reference to fact that they should have had sex when they dated so long ago) and that was his doorway to express his feelings, etc. She said she was happy they reconnected and had a chance to do so. She feels this all happened for a reason, and perhaps they were meant to wait because they were so special together (or something like that I don't have transcript with me). Their last chat on FB ended with him saying "Love U", and she responded with "Love U too. I promised myself I wouldn't say this on electronic devices so next time will be when I see you, if I ever get to see you". She then wrote that she'd been writing and deleting something for a couple minutes, and he encouraged her to write it and send it. She never did. He left off asking her to write it and send it out while he was away getting his kids to bed. She never did. Oh, and he asked her if she remembered the first time he told her he loved her-- she didn't remember. It was the day she left for a job, ending their relationship. He had mumbled it, she asked him to repeat he got scared said something else and drove off. To me its damning enough, but I'm afraid that most of the discussion could be explained away as two friend reminiscing about the past, an excuse to make them both feel good in difficult situations, etc. Even the "Love U" would be interpreted as something two old friends would say. It's not normal, but I wanted more. I'd like for them to say "I love you" again, make plans of some sort and certainly completely contradict the email she sent me. I can use that email to contrast story she tells me with what she tells him.

Thanks again, all. Some tough love here, that's good. She knows I'm not going down without a fight. She'll see how much I mean it pretty soon.

M
M
I'll get myself ready for the exposure in the next couple of days.
Why wait? All the delay serves is to give your wife further evidence that you don't really care about her. From her perspective, if you really cared about her you would have been right on top of this issue, driving off the OM from the get go. You failure in not catching on sooner is further evidence against you. You are way too wrapped up in yourself to appreciate the dynamics of what is really going on here. Delay and inaction are your worst enemies. Stop acting timid. This is a war for your wife's affection, and you are not going to win it by acting like a shrinking violet what doesn't really care about her.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
I
I
That's solid proof.

'You' will never be 'ready' to do this. You do it while unready - the courage shows up after its done. Waiting makes you more nervous and the affair gets entrenched by the hour.

Getting your exposure Plan ready is wise though. You should have the contact information for all targets, your template letters and ensure you will be uninterrupted while you get it done in one shot.

It shouldn't take more than 24 hours to get your exposure ready.

K
K

Every second you delay is working against you. Seconds count in a situation like this. Expose ASAP.

B
B
When will you be exposing?

Who is on your exposure list?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
OP Offline
M
Exposure list:
OM's wife, brother and anyone with same last name as him on his FB account. Will also send him an email. I now know where his wive works, I was planning on calling her- is that too direct. I don't have an email for her and thought that perhaps telling her "in person" would be more respectful. She'll likely have many questions and I'd prefer a 5 minute call than a confusing FB message followed by exposure to everyone else.

My wife's parents, brother and sister, their wife/boyfriend.

Timeline, dunno. There was no activity last night. I managed to work her email account and find a couple more emails from 10 days ago. After I first confronted her about my doubts she pushed him off and told him she had a lot of stuff to work out with me. We have kids and she needs to be fair. That missing email is putting some later discussions in context. Perhaps I need to continue building my Plan A before exposing-- shouldn't I project myself as a loving caring husband, confident... her knight in shining armour as someone put it? I haven't been that in a few days, but I want be in a position where I'm outwardly confident, demonstratively happy to be with her, etc. Then I expose. I know I'm get blamed here for delaying, etc. But lately I've been a shell of a man, and going through exposure that way not make me look any better.

I
I
How can you be a knight while still bowing to the Dragon and trying not to upset it?!!!

You will feel stronger the minute you expose, because you are not the one being responsible for making the argument any more. Other people will do it leaving you free to be loving towards your wife.

It's impossible to Plan A before exposure - it just turns into an argument every time and she's too foggy to listen to you. She thinks 'I'm still here what's the big deal?'

You are dreadfully confused about the role of exposure in Plan A and seem to think exposure is separate.

Exposure IS Plan A. Plan A without exposure is Plan Doormat and women do not respond to that.

Sitting idly while a man contacts your wife = uncaring.

Protecting her and blocking a scuzzbucket from using her = Plan A.

Leaving your wife in a confusing fog where she doesn't know what to do = uncaring.

Making it appear the OM is the only one who really knows the true her and her faults = uncaring.

Openly declaring your love for her to the world even in the middle of a crisis of her own making = Plan A.

Trying to show off to her in private without actually helping her or taking any risk = uncaring.

Getting all the people she loves involved to help her = Plan A.

Running off the other guy = Plan A.

Keeping a cool, patient loving demeanour even though the APs are freaking out and blaming you = Plan A.

So what you propose isn't "building Plan A" it's just a way of showing you are uncaring. Too timid to really fight for her.

She is bound to have very little respect for you while the A continues under your nose and you do nothing.

I
I
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The issue of exposure comes up when a betrayed spouse has first learned about the affair. Should it be exposed to others, or kept secret? I generally recommend exposure. When should it be exposed? I usually recommend that it be exposed immediately

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The problem some people have with that strategy is that it conflicts with the goal of plan A because it's likely to cause massive Love Bank withdrawals. An unfaithful spouse almost always considers such exposure to be a worse act of betrayal than their affair itself. But the alternative, helping the unfaithful spouse to keep the affair a secret, is enabling the addiction, prolonging the agony. In the long run, making the affair public knowledge without any forewarning, threats, or bartering (which by themselves can create massive withdrawals) actually reduces the number of Love Bank withdrawals made by the betrayed spouse.

Trying to compete, instead of running him off is bartering. Getting weepy instead of running him off is needy and demanding ( but without exposure, inevitable)

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/19/15 04:53 AM.

M
M
Exposure list:
OM's wife, brother and anyone with same last name as him on his FB account. Will also send him an email. I now know where his wive works, I was planning on calling her- is that too direct. I don't have an email for her and thought that perhaps telling her "in person" would be more respectful. She'll likely have many questions and I'd prefer a 5 minute call than a confusing FB message followed by exposure to everyone else.

That is a good idea to call her first and THEN expose to his Facebook friends.

Sounds good! I would be sure and use the talking points on my exposure thread. You are not exposing to be mean or vengeful, but to get their support for your marriage.

Do you plan on telling your own parents?

Perhaps I need to continue building my Plan A before exposing-- shouldn't I project myself as a loving caring husband, confident... her knight in shining armour as someone put it?

Plan A is a) exposure and b) making a commitment to meet her needs if she will end her affair and avoiding love busters. All of your efforts to meet her needs will be of very little effect as long as she is in contact with the OM. This is why exposure should be done right away.

The sooner you get this out of the way, the sooner you can start working on your marriage.

Have you read my exposure thread about what happens AFTER you expose? Do you know what to expect? Do you know your next steps? Running off the OM is only the first step in recovery.

Exposure 101

F
F
Exposure list:

Timeline, dunno. There was no activity last night. I managed to work her email account and find a couple more emails from 10 days ago. After I first confronted her about my doubts she pushed him off and told him she had a lot of stuff to work out with me. We have kids and she needs to be fair. That missing email is putting some later discussions in context. Perhaps I need to continue building my Plan A before exposing-- shouldn't I project myself as a loving caring husband, confident... her knight in shining armour as someone put it? I haven't been that in a few days, but I want be in a position where I'm outwardly confident, demonstratively happy to be with her, etc. Then I expose. I know I'm get blamed here for delaying, etc. But lately I've been a shell of a man, and going through exposure that way not make me look any better.

Plan A does no good before exposure. My WW demanded a divorce and I unknowingly did plan A for 2 weeks before I discovered her affair after finding MB. Every drastic change I made to be a better husband only made her angry at the time. She had multiple excuses for why my change meant nothing. Almost every evening I would get her to talk with me about ways to save our marriage and the next day she would be completely against it again. OM was coaching her against me. Her life with me, no matter how much better I became, could never hold a candle to the fantasy future she saw with OM. Exposure made her very angry but it made me feel much stronger. I wasn't able to hold myself back from exposing after only knowing for a few days. I had enough evidence that I knew there was an affair and I stood my ground against her lies and gas-lighting about it only being a friendship.

Your marriage is under attack. Not a direct and obvious attack but a sneaky and deceitful attack. Either one is evil and must be exposed for what it is. Good can not bargain with evil over a timeline. Any compromise between the two is no compromise at all; it is a victory for evil. You can't sacrifice time to the affair (evil) in order to make yourself look good. No matter how much better you think you might appear, if the affair is still active you will continue to look weak.

The only perfect time to expose an affair is as soon as possible.

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
M
OP Offline
M
Hi All,

I'm exposing today. Yes I'm scared, but I need to get this over and rebuild my marriage. I'm starting with OM's wife, then OM, wife's family, etc.
Yes, I was a bit confused regarding Plan A; I thought I needed to create a contrast between me and him before exposure, but I see it was a silly idea.
When she asks how I got my evidence, I don't want to declare my keylogger-- I'll want to monitor progress over time. I think I can explain how I got my evidence (sometimes she does forget to log out of FB). But should I come clean about it? In case it blows up in my face later while we're making progress? When do you stop snooping??

Last edited by MacTheSpoon; 03/20/15 02:55 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
I'd like to thank everyone for the guidance and courage you've given me. Truly appreciated.

I
I
When she asks how I got my evidence, I don't want to declare my keylogger-- I'll want to monitor progress over time. I think I can explain how I got my evidence (sometimes she does forget to log out of FB). But should I come clean about it? In case it blows up in my face later while we're making progress? When do you stop snooping??

When she asks you how you got your evidence, refuse to be allowed to be drawn into that discussion. Just say " Never mind how - I know everything and I expect you to be completely truthful about ALL of it Without trying to figure out how much I know."

If she rebounds with how awful exposure is and she can't trust you to be honest with you (yada yada) just say that people care too much about her to stand by and let her do this alone.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/20/15 05:09 AM.

I
I
Later on you would expect her to be voluntarily transparent.

But you would still snoop anyway.

R
R
And, EXPECT a lot of vile things thrown towards you from your WW.

Waywards say the most horrible scary things to their betrayed after the exposure.

Don't blink when facing that.

I
I
"I was going to recover with you but you can forget it now!" She will say...

Um no you weren't!

(Dont say that)

M
M

NEVER stop snooping. And never tell her your resources. Just assure her that you have good reason to snoop and will never reveal your sources.

Exposure 101

M
M
I'd like to thank everyone for the guidance and courage you've given me. Truly appreciated.

You are very welcome! And I applaud you for overcoming your fear. The difference between those who make it and those who don't is the ability to overcome fear [we all have it!!] and the ability to follow a plan. We were ALL afraid.

Exposure 101

A
A

You're very welcome.

There's no guarantees in this situation but you've made the best move you can to save your marriage, and from here forward you will feel stronger because you've taken a stand!

My story
P
P
Good Luck Mac! Fight the good fight.

M
OP Offline
M
Alright. So exposure was delayed by a day. I couldn't get a hold of OM's wife yesterday, and I wanted to talk to her first. We talked this afternoon, it took her by surprise but in the end she wasn't entirely surprised. We had a good chat and it truly made me feel better and stronger. She admitted he wasn't a prize catch and she's frustrated, but he's the father of her kids and she wants to keep him. At first I was afraid that she was talking herself into throwing his sorry [censored] out, and that would have left him free to pursue my wife. We talked again tonight and she's had a chance to think things through. Very much to her credit she's a mighty fan of exposure, and she's just about to meet him and his family for dinner where she's exposing. I should have called this woman sooner! Between our calls, she had a chance to talk to some of her friends and her mother, she's found her strength and going in for the kill. Great. In the meantime, my wife is in bed, avoiding me. She's monitoring her Facebook (I can see when she's on and off...), and she'll probably find out from him that the jig is up. So in an hour or so I expect to see her in the living room... where I'll be watching a movie. I'm about to release my emails to her family, so by later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning the crap storm will begin. Wish me luck!

Mac

I
I
Good luck!

L
L
Be prepared with stock answers after she finds out and She Says that she can not ever trust YOU again after what YOU did to her.

Kindly keep the responses short and tell her that you are very willing to continue working on your marriage and meeting her needs once she ends her affair.

LTL

B
B
How old are your children? Are they on your exposure list?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

F
F
Remember to not apologize for exposure. Adultery is wrong, the truth is not.

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all,

My kids are 7, 5 and (3, birthday was today). I am most definitely not exposing to them. This will be kept from them for as long as possible, forever if we can.

So about a minute after I wrote my last post, the phone rang. It was from OM's area code. No response when I answered. 10min later phone rang again and this time he talked to me. He was very awkward at first, but got into it afterwards. He told me, so you talked to my wife today? Said yes, I guess you've been talking to mine for the last 2 weeks. He was very calm, but indignant that I would call his wife before calling him. He couldn't understand. I guess, I get his point. But since I had asked my wife to stop her relationship with him, and she relayed everything to him, I felt like he should have gotten the message that I wasn't happy with him talking to her, so why would I need to call him? It seems like he thought there was a "bro code" where I should have given him a heads up. Now he's pissed he's in the same situation as me. Oh, oh. Not so my friend-- I didn't have an affair. My wife and I fell out of love, temporarily I hope. But you went behind your wife's back, so that's why she's pissed. Sorry I didn't spare you the hardship, buddy. (insert a string of swear words) He calmness both impressed me and frightened me. But I remained strong and positive, both for me and for him. His wife wants to work things out with him, so that's good for him. But she's got a lot of work on her hands from what she told me. I'd love for her to talk to my wife about the prize they're fighting for!! The stuff she told me would instantly turn off my wife--of course they'd have to go through that teenaged fantasy honeymoon, but then it would turn sour. His wife confronted him in front of his family, so I didn't send them anything. I don't think there's a point anymore. Unfortunately, she decided to do it in front of their kids (maybe 7 and 4 ish), according to him. She had told me that she wanted to spare them from all this unhappiness, so I'm hoping he was exaggerating and they were somewhere in the house. Her plan was to expose in front of family and let him sleep at his parent's house. She's taking this seriously, but I hope that she'll throw him a bone, because I want them to stay married!!! Don't need him single.

I've exposed to her family. Waiting to see if they contact me, or contact her first. I wasn't sure how much she had told her family and if they'd support her leaving me. When she spoke to her parents last, I asked her if she told them, she said not everything but that they knew she was unhappy. At the time, it had given me hope, that perhaps she would consider working on our marriage. But things heated up with OM, and I lost that hope. Today she called them again and through her we exchanged hellos. Then her father said that he was looking forward to me barbecuing him a good steak when we got back. She didn't even wait for my answer to him. I knew that I was about to expose, and it made me feel good. They like me, although they'll always support their daughter, I think they'll support me too. They'll be a voice of reason and push her towards reconciliation, counselling, etc. Her sister, with whom I get along great, went through a divorce a couple years ago because of an affair. Her husband wasn't a great man, she wanted out. Someone caught him cheating and told her, she left immediately. Later she dated an old high school boyfriend, and it was perfect for about a year. Made her feel young and happy. I wasn't sure what kind of support she'd be. Also, she slept with this same OM after my wife and him broke up. So I was hoping that would be an issue for every one. Anyways, she just announced to my wife yesterday that she broke up with her boyfriend. The fantasy ended, he had too many issues, she couldn't deal with it.

Things are looking up. But now seems that my wife is up too... so I'm about to face the music....

B
B
Have you read and listened to the clips in here?
Exposing to Children

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
She's monitoring her Facebook (I can see when she's on and off...), and she'll probably find out from him that the jig is up. So in an hour or so I expect to see her in the living room... where I'll be watching a movie. I'm about to release my emails to her family, so by later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning the crap storm will begin. Wish me luck!

Good job, Mac! Now, finish up your exposures right away. Don't drag it out. Just get it all done.

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
My in-laws and sister-in-law responded with their full support. Turns out OM had hit on my sister-in-law a couple of months ago. Can't wait until she tells that little tale.

My wife hasn't come out of her room. She's the only one I haven't confronted-- but she's fully aware what's happened. I'm not seeking her out, we'll face it in the morning.

I checked her emails and he's sent her panicked emails: "my wife snapped at me, what do I do now?". My wife offered her apologies for me hurting his marriage! That I must have thought it would help my chances, but that's it, hurting him was the last straw, now she's done!! What?! She wasn't done before?? She was just joking this whole time!! My lord, this will be fascinating, mortifying, and exhausting.

I feel much, much better.

M
M
Hi all,

My kids are 7, 5 and (3, birthday was today). I am most definitely not exposing to them. This will be kept from them for as long as possible, forever if we can.

I agree the 3 year old should not be told, but you must tell the older children. Don't lie to your children about the source of tension in their home. That hurts them, you and your wife. This is critical information about their own family. Not telling them only causes confusion and kids tend to blame themselves when they do not have the facts.

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

M
M
Did you tell her parents?? I can't tell from reading your post. Did you expose to her family?

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Have you read and listened to the clips in here?
Exposing to Children
Could you answer these questions?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M
I checked her emails and he's sent her panicked emails: "my wife snapped at me, what do I do now?". My wife offered her apologies for me hurting his marriage! That I must have thought it would help my chances, but that's it, hurting him was the last straw, now she's done!! What?! She wasn't done before?? She was just joking this whole time!! My lord, this will be fascinating, mortifying, and exhausting.

I would address this immediately by calling his wife and HIM telling him to never contact her again. I don't think he is taking you seriously.

Did you expose the affair to his Facebook contacts as we discussed?

You are going to have to do a serious exposure to run this guy off. Otherwise he is going to run you right over.

Exposure 101

B
B

I would address this immediately by calling his wife and HIM telling him to never contact her again. I don't think he is taking you seriously.

Did you expose the affair to his Facebook contacts as we discussed?

You are going to have to do a serious exposure to run this guy off. Otherwise he is going to run you right over.
Yes send all the information to OMBW so she can see he isn't serious about NC with your WW.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

F
F
I'm not sure if you'll hear the same trash that my WW gave me but, she has told me many times that she can't forgive me for what I DID to her OM!(never mind his affair with a married woman while he was married). I would be prepared to have a lot of guilt thrown at you for exposure. The true guilt is in the affair though (I'm sure you know that).

Good job exposing.

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
R
R
You have made a good choice to expose but hold on for the onslaught of threats directed at you to shut you up.
It is text book and you should expect it.

BTW, your kids do know something has been up (they have known since your wife began crossing lines.....they sensed a change then).

Though we don't want to see our children in pain, truth creates future trust and understanding for them. It does suck, for sure.

M
OP Offline
M
Answering questions:
1. I've read/listened to clips about exposure to children. Will work through that one.
2. I have exposed to her parents, sister, and brother. Parents and sister have responded to me, very positive. They will support me through it all.
3. I haven't exposed to all his FB friend list, it's huge. His parents and only sibling were exposed, and unfortunately (I find) so were his kids.
4. He called me, indignant that I contacted HIS wife, and I made it clear that he needed to stop contact and why. He knows I'm serious, there would have been no mistaking what I said.
5. I'm still in email contact with his wife, so we're comparing notes here. I didn't expect him to stop contacting my wife right away, so I'm not panicking. He is.
6. Turns out that he hit on my wife's sister a couple months ago, and once she tells my wife, I'm sure the bubble will further burst.
7. Yes, I'm expecting them to believe they're the victims, they're certainly shaping the narrative that way. His wife won't let him, she's a spitfire-- I'm not sure what his family thinks or how much they will support him or his wife.
8. My wife's family won't let her continue with that relationship. They are not a fan of OM, and that will make my wife reconsider very seriously.
9. If things degenerate, I'll expose to his FB friends. But right now, his wife is doing a great job raking him over the coals-- she's already told friends, and soon word will spread around his circles.

In the end, their relationship will end. Yes, they'll bond over this for a short while. But it will fizzle out. Now I need to reclaim my wife's love. That's the hard part.

M
M
2. I have exposed to her parents, sister, and brother. Parents and sister have responded to me, very positive. They will support me through it all.

This is good. Will they CALL your wife and ask her to end her affair?

3. I haven't exposed to all his FB friend list, it's huge. His parents and only sibling were exposed, and unfortunately (I find) so were his kids.

This is a HUGE MISS. As you can see, you have not run him off!! He is still contacting your wife! You don't have to expose to his entire list, but you should expose to his family and married friends. Have you PERSONALLY SPOKEN TO his parents and siblings?

. He called me, indignant that I contacted HIS wife, and I made it clear that he needed to stop contact and why. He knows I'm serious, there would have been no mistaking what I said.

HE DOES NOT KNOW YOU ARE SERIOUS. He has already contacted your wife again!! He should hear from you every time he resumes contact. His wife should be informed.

5. I'm still in email contact with his wife, so we're comparing notes here. I didn't expect him to stop contacting my wife right away, so I'm not panicking. He is.

You need to take care of this NOW. The fact that he is still pursuing his affair with your wife indicates he is not taking you seriously.

6. Turns out that he hit on my wife's sister a couple months ago, and once she tells my wife, I'm sure the bubble will further burst.

YOU can tell your wife tonight.

7. Yes, I'm expecting them to believe they're the victims, they're certainly shaping the narrative that way. His wife won't let him, she's a spitfire-- I'm not sure what his family thinks or how much they will support him or his wife.

This is why it is so critical that YOU contact them yourself.

8. My wife's family won't let her continue with that relationship. They are not a fan of OM, and that will make my wife reconsider very seriously.

HE HAS CONTINUED TO CONTACT HER so it makes no sense to say his wife's family won't allow this. Why won't YOU, HER HUSBAND, NOT ALLOW HER TO CONTINUE THE AFFAIR?? Isn't that your job?

9. If things degenerate, I'll expose to his FB friends. But right now, his wife is doing a great job raking him over the coals-- she's already told friends, and soon word will spread around his circles.

You don't understand. You cannot afford to do a half assed exposure. This is all supposed to be done NOW, not later. The KEY to a successful exposure is the tsunami effect. We have explained to you that a trickle exposure is weak and ineffective.

In the end, their relationship will end. Yes, they'll bond over this for a short while. But it will fizzle out. Now I need to reclaim my wife's love. That's the hard part.

Their affair has NOT ENDED because you are not done with your exposure. Sir, you need to buck up NOW and finish your exposures. This will backfire on you if you don't. Half measures will avail you nothing.

Exposure 101

M
M

Don't expect your inlaws to do your job FOR YOU. This is your job to kill this affair. You cannot afford half measures. Finish your exposures and run this guy OFF while you still have the CHANCE.

This guy is BRAZEN enough to call you to chastise you and then contact your wife afterwards. You need to have MORE BALLS than him in the defense of your marriage.

Exposure 101

A
A
Yeah, I agree with Melody....this dude is pretty brazen. I talked to OM in my case only once (in person) and he acted like he'd seen a ghost. NEVER heard from him afterwords.

I want you to remember something. You and OM are not on the same playing field. You are NOT made out of the same material. He is a weak-minded philandering piece of crap and you are a man rightfully defending your marriage. There is no need to consider who's put who in what position...this man is so far BENEATH you to be trifling with a married woman, that whatever he says to equivocate your positions should be IMMEDIATELY and FORCEFULLY interrupted and refuted in any conversation with him. If he starts going there I would not hear one second of that bullcrap. I'm talking "drill sergeant on a very bad day" response to that. If he thinks he can pull that on you, he has no idea that you are serious yet. He needs to understand that any contact with you is barking up the worst possible tree.

Your wife is going to apologize for your actions, bank on that. That is the song of every WW who gets busted, I've seen it play out here too many times. Just like face1 said. It will deepen the feeling of betrayal, and it really sucks. I know what you're going through there.

Only advice I can offer is to channel that feeling into determination. You are in the thick of this battle now. Glad to see you are already feeling better. I bet you feel stronger now too.

Keep pushing, particularly in hitting OM's exposure targets. You need to make his life hell for a while.

Don't be surprised if your wife tries to turn the tables on you with her family. Be prepared for her to lie to them and try to discredit you. Get your facts together, be prepared to lay them out if needed, and stick to your guns.

My story
M
OP Offline
M
Given the circumstances, I think it's naive for anyone to think that after exposure (of any kind) he would have completed stopped talking to my wife. They have known each other for close to 20 years, and have told each other the ol' "love you". It's silly to think that immediately after he was exposed that he would be too scared to contact her to say that his world was crashing down on him. If you think that a much broader exposure would have achieved different results-- you're crazy!! Who knows who would have challenged him about it, and it wouldn't have been right away.
Initially I suspect he wanted to talk to my wife on the phone not me, but since I answered and wouldn't hand over the phone he was forced to talk to me. Yes, very brazen, but that fits his profile-- kind of guy that can reason through anything. He wasn't prepared I think for that talk.

Also, I'm not expecting my in-laws to do my job. I'm expecting them to back up what I have to say and hear reason from someone other than me (she won't listen to reason from me right now). Yes, they'll call her.

The other source of confusion is the fact that my wife had told me she was done with our marriage. In their minds, they didn't wrong me. I have no stakes in this. That was the crux of his discussion with me-- she told me it was over... don't blame me, why did you tell my wife?

I'll contact him and tell him to stop contact and will do so anytime they talk.

My wife is completely ignoring this issue. This morning she acted as if nothing happened. When I brought it up, she told me that it was my decision and she had nothing to say. I told her again that I did it because I loved her and wanted to work on our marriage, not for revenge or hatred. Nothing else, topic was dropped. She left for errands, asked if I needed anything, just normal life.

M
M
It's naive and silly to believe that your exposure effectively scared this OM off. But I don't expect you to know that because you have no experience with this. I wish you the best...

Exposure 101

T
T
Given the circumstances, I think it's naive for anyone to think that after exposure (of any kind) he would have completed stopped talking to my wife. They have known each other for close to 20 years, and have told each other the ol' "love you". It's silly to think that immediately after he was exposed that he would be too scared to contact her to say that his world was crashing down on him. If you think that a much broader exposure would have achieved different results-- you're crazy!! Who knows who would have challenged him about it, and it wouldn't have been right away.
Initially I suspect he wanted to talk to my wife on the phone not me, but since I answered and wouldn't hand over the phone he was forced to talk to me. Yes, very brazen, but that fits his profile-- kind of guy that can reason through anything. He wasn't prepared I think for that talk.

Also, I'm not expecting my in-laws to do my job. I'm expecting them to back up what I have to say and hear reason from someone other than me (she won't listen to reason from me right now). Yes, they'll call her.

The other source of confusion is the fact that my wife had told me she was done with our marriage. In their minds, they didn't wrong me. I have no stakes in this. That was the crux of his discussion with me-- she told me it was over... don't blame me, why did you tell my wife?

I'll contact him and tell him to stop contact and will do so anytime they talk.

My wife is completely ignoring this issue. This morning she acted as if nothing happened. When I brought it up, she told me that it was my decision and she had nothing to say. I told her again that I did it because I loved her and wanted to work on our marriage, not for revenge or hatred. Nothing else, topic was dropped. She left for errands, asked if I needed anything, just normal life.

You told the OM once already to back off. Any more is a waste of time. The OM was not run off the first time you two talked. You repeating yourself will only make the OM see you as weak and will continue to contact your WW.

You need to re-expose the affair to the OMW every time OM breaks NC. This is because the OM needs to face painful consequences every time he tries to continue his affair.

You have done a half exposure. You need to bring about more consequences for the OM. Sunday morning your job is to expose everyone on the OM FB list.

Also see to it that your WW's sister tells her today that the OM tried to have an affair with her.

M
OP Offline
M
Alright, I'll continue the exposure through his FB list.

I
I
Hi all,

My kids are 7, 5 and (3, birthday was today). I am most definitely not exposing to them. This will be kept from them for as long as possible, forever if we can...

Please do not lie to the older children and tell the 3 year old when he can understand.

Never seen a recovery where the children are left this vulnerable. Ever. You leave them open to abuse from OM. You allow your wife to believe they will accept a new stepdad

Very, very wrong. Your children are confused and hurt. Please go to them.

Thank goodness the BW had more sense.

Hi all,

So about a minute after I wrote my last post, the phone rang. It was from OM's area code. No response when I answered. 10min later phone rang again and this time he talked to me. He was very awkward at first, but got into it afterwards. He told me, so you talked to my wife today? Said yes, I guess you've been talking to mine for the last 2 weeks. He was very calm, but indignant that I would call his wife before calling him. He couldn't understand. I guess, I get his point. But since I had asked my wife to stop her relationship with him, and she relayed everything to him, I felt like he should have gotten the message that I wasn't happy with him talking to her, so why would I need to call him? It seems like he thought there was a "bro code" where I should have given him a heads up.

puke

This man believes that women are worthless and you, like him, are just using your wife for occasional pleasure.

This is an easy man to outpace in terms of manliness.

I
I

Your wife is very easy meat to him - and her sister too! He will dump her if it makes life too hard.

Unfortunately he's got this idea that you are wimpish and can be told off. You must correct that mistake pronto.

I'd go for internet exposure with this one. That would seriously dent his extra curricular sex life.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/22/15 09:04 AM.

A
A
No, HE is referring to OM.

Look, OM has no respect for a married woman who cats around. OW is easy meat to him. OM, however, probably has a limit of how much trouble that meat is worth.

OM thinks you are a wimp, if he's not afraid to keep going after your wife. This is now where you puff up your chest and show him the fury of intruding your home.

M
OP Offline
M
Okay got it.

1. I've completed the exposure list. All done.
2. I'm expecting her parents (perhaps sister) to call her today.
3. Got word back from OM's wife that they've had a good cry and decided to work on their marriage. It was all a "fantasy" for him to make himself feel better, but wasn't going to act on it. Ooookay.
4. My wife is cold right now. She's text book, I guess. Because she told me that our marriage was over before getting in touch with OM, she thinks she was entitled to her privacy and did nothing wrong. She also claims that it was all fantasy to feel better but knew it wouldn't go anywhere. She admits to having residual feelings for him, and him for her, but that it's all in the past. That said, we're still over, and now more than that she doesn't want to try the "parenting partnership" where we live in the same house for the kids. If we weren't still in France, she'd be moving out now. She still doesn't want to work on our marriage or get any type of help.

I've maintained throughout that I did this out of love, for her and our kids. I did what needed to be done. Pledged that I want to work to make her happy and rebuild our marriage. But I still get the comment that it's no use, she won't find happiness with me. She's no longer in love and that's that.

M
M
That said, we're still over, and now more than that she doesn't want to try the "parenting partnership" where we live in the same house for the kids. If we weren't still in France, she'd be moving out now. She still doesn't want to work on our marriage or get any type of help.

You did great, Mac!! The key here is keeping the OM AWAY. Every time he contacts her, you need to be all over that piece of crap. I burst out laughing when that entitled jerk said you should have "called him first." For WHAT? He already knew he was having an affair with a married woman. You owe that dirtbag nothing. NOTHING. How dare he chastise you when he is assaulting your family?

Anyway, keep him at bay and focus now on attracting her back into the marriage. What she is doing now is trying to justify her affair by pretending a) the marriage is over and b) her desire to end the marriage had nothing to do with the affair. Don't argue with her, but just know this is a TACTIC designed to blame you. You still continue on your plan to win her back.

Don't argue with her, just do your best to be the best husband possible. Avoid love busters and look for opportunities to do things with her. Go read wifedivorcing's thread and see how he won his wife back: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=170321&Number=2791622#Post2791622

That said, we're still over, and now more than that she doesn't want to try the "parenting partnership" where we live in the same house for the kids.

Let her know that you would agree to this plan if there was a commitment to save the marriage, but you are not going to be roommates for the sake of the kids. Having roommate parents is not in your children's best interest because of the tension it would create.

Exposure 101

M
M
And tell your kids!!!! This affects their lives in every way, and they need to know she is willing to bust up their family for her affair.

Exposure 101

I
I
And tell your kids!!!! This affects their lives in every way, and they need to know she is willing to bust up their family for her affair.

Otherwise she will break up their family while telling them that marriage is disposable and they will 'get it over it'.

Even if she leaves (she probably won't) you can tell the kids what's happening to her, that OM (name him) is a danger to the family and that you are fighting to stay with them and win back their mother.

Young children respond very well to this. Often they've been harbouring secret fears and need this sort of guidance.

Currently your wife still thinks it'll be OK and a reunion with OM will happen when the kids are grown.

It can't happen if her children know.

R
R
Telling you the marriage was done pre-affair is par for the course of waywards.

Re-read this:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1659680#Post1659680

A
A
Good job with following up Mac.

Post the OM to Playerblock.com and use that to expose him more broadly. Cheaterville.com is also great but the website is down right now.

You are correct, the "marriage was over before I got started with OM, this has nothing to do with him" line is VERY textbook, I heard the same thing verbatim.

OMs are terrified of exposure, keep it up. I was thinking about him telling you that you should have called him first...he wanted to keep the secret a secret.

Sidenote, but related: OM in my situation told me when I confronted at his business (and in front of his customers) "this isn't the way to handle this..." and I just shot back at him "you should have thought about that before you started messing with my wife". He then changed the topic to trying to deny the affair, and after I cited facts he changed the topic to "leave now or I call the police". He wanted me gone because I made all of his customers that day disappear pretty much instantly.

Same kinda deal. OM wants this kept under wraps. Find out everything you can about this guy. You need to find every chink in his armor and take advantage of that. I'd work on finding out where he works/what he does for a living, how you can reliably get in contact with his parents by phone, who his immediate family is. All of this can be found online using tools like Spokeo. Unless his family is also trash he doesn't want them to know what he's up to, and you very well may be supporting OMBW's exposure in an important way by reaching out to these people and confirming her story.

Reasoning here is simple...if you can break this up on the OMs end, you kill the affair. Otherwise you have to wait for it to die a natural death, and while the exposure will accelerate that, it could still be months. If OM decides your wife isn't worth the trouble, you don't have to worry about when your wife decides to end the affair...it will already be over.

My story
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,

I agree that kids can sense when something is up. We never fight and whenever we've had our "conversations" we were in a room away from kids or they were in bed. But in terms of body language, lack of communications, and occasional tear in the eyes... it's very probable they know something is amiss.

Wife received a call from her parents, followed by sister. That created a cold front I'd never experienced before. I have no idea how their conversation went, I never got feedback from the family, and of course my wife isn't talking. The good news is that there has been no evidence of contact between my wife and OM for two days. I think OM's wife scared him straight-- according to stories she shared with me, it's doubtful he wants to lose that gravy train. I'm rather positive the affair is over, however lingering feelings may still exist. I'm not sure yet what to expect regarding my wife's feelings towards me and our marriage.

If I understand properly what I've read to date on this site, and some of the threads you've recommended, my mission at this point is to avoid any relationship discussions with my wife, avoid lovebusters, work on self-improvement to suit her emotional needs (and my own vision of self-improvement), and do my best to meet all her emotional needs. I say do my best as I'm still not able to touch/kiss/hug her, which was an important aspect for her. Timeline is variable, but for a man I should expect about 6 months, then would have to proceed to plan B.

Mac

F
F
I don't think that all relationship talk is to be avoided. You should be willing to talk about ways to create a loving marriage but don't discuss divorce or separation. Don't press the issue though.

Dr.Harley recommends a plan A of up to 2 years for a BH even while an A is active. I don't think you should be thinking about plan B for a very long time. If the affair actually ends you should be dealing with WW being in withdrawal from the A for several weeks. Avoid LBs and meet whatever ENs she will allow.

BH 31
Married 5 years
D day-10/8/14
Separated-10/27/14
1 DS3
1 DSS13
M
OP Offline
M
Well Marriage Builders folks, you've done it.

I came home this evening, less than 2hrs after my last post, and my wife was in a different mood. She had made a nice dinner, opened a bottle of wine, she was nicely dressed, etc. There was some hesitation, but we talked at dinner, mostly around what she did with the kids, etc. Then after dinner she asked to speak with me in another room. Surprise-- she had a lot of time to think things through since yesterday, etc. She doesn't want the kids to be raised in a divorce, etc. She wants to rebuild and play it "day by day". She unfriended the OM from FB, and now knows that he was saying the same things to her sister by text no more than 2 months ago. So that fantasy is over. And my marriage is getting a second chance. I'm over the moon. We hugged it out, but again-- day by day. She is currently busy looking at new homes we could buy (as opposed to rent) when we return home this summer.

There is still much work to be done. But we're on the right path.

Thank you to all those who've taken the time to guide me or share their experiences. This has been invaluable.

Mac

S
S

I came home this evening, less than 2hrs after my last post, and my wife was in a different mood. She had made a nice dinner, opened a bottle of wine, she was nicely dressed, etc. There was some hesitation, but we talked at dinner, mostly around what she did with the kids, etc. Then after dinner she asked to speak with me in another room. Surprise-- she had a lot of time to think things through since yesterday, etc. She doesn't want the kids to be raised in a divorce, etc. She wants to rebuild and play it "day by day". She unfriended the OM from FB, and now knows that he was saying the same things to her sister by text no more than 2 months ago. So that fantasy is over. And my marriage is getting a second chance. I'm over the moon. We hugged it out, but again-- day by day. She is currently busy looking at new homes we could buy (as opposed to rent) when we return home this summer.

Thank you to all those who've taken the time to guide me or share their experiences. This has been invaluable.

Mac
That's really nice, but she needs to get off Facebook altogether, for good.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
A
Great update!

I would advise you to get a copy of "Surviving an Affair" by Dr. Harley if you haven't yet and read through it. It is available on Google Play and Amazon as an ebook so it's convenient to get and a quick read.

You've got a great handle on what Plan A is, now you need to focus on making sure you've got what we refer to as Extraordinary Precautions or "EPs" in place to affair-proof your marriage and ensure that your recovery process from here is rock-solid and leads to the best marriage possible.

Surviving an Affair will explain EPs and the process you and your wife need to focus on to protect yourselves from this situation ever happening again. Your wife should agree to following these EPs with you and to send OM a no-contact letter as described in the book.

Also, keep snooping! You're very early in the process and your wife is very vulnerable right now where being re-contacted by the OM (for example by email or text) could set you back to day 1. Remember trust is earned, do not trust your wife just yet.

Happy for you Mac, I'm sure you feel much better.

My story
S
S
Great update!
What I was trying to say is that it is NOT a great update.

She has SAID a lot of things, but I've seen that done a number of times - including with the OW in my marriage. She promised her husband a lot of things, including never speaking to my H again (after my exposure to her H) because my H had used her. She hated him, she loved her H, she wanted the marriage to work...

...and as I found out 5 years later, she never stopped contacting him at work, and he never stopped happily accepting her calls. I caught this at the point when they were planning to meet again, after 5 years of not having seen each other.

Saying a lot of things and unfriending him on FB means nothing at all. She was addicted to this man, and I doubt that even after all that has transpired, she believes that there is no future for her and him.

If she can contact him through work, she will. Re-friending him on FB takes a second, as does unfriending him again. You should not feel that the affair is over until you have moved, and taken other steps.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
She unfriended the OM from FB
Do you know how easy that would be to undo in a moment of weakness?

Facebook accounts need to be deleted, and Facebook needs to be blocked.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
S
You see - if there's no withdrawal, and things turn around within two hours, I doubt it is genuine. I would always suspect a ploy to placate you.

That doesn't mean you act hostile towards her. That means that you press on for all the EPs that Dr H recommends, including moving house (and job, if work was a conduit), and you spy like a demon. Only when she cooperates with all the EPs, and your snooping turn s up nothing after several months, do you begin to believe that she meant what she said.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
It takes 2 seconds to friend a person on facebook. She can still see his facebook page and as long as she has facebook, she will be communicating with him and gawking at his page. WE have had many recoveries completely demolished when a WS never withdrew from the OP just because she was gawking at the OP's photos, facebook, etc.

Exposure 101

B
B
Will she delete Facebook? Change all her contact information? Write a NC letter for you to send?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

I
I

Mac

Ploy.

Shed be going through withdrawal if it were genuine.

Shes been ordered to manage you better.

But you definitely have the A on the ropes.

I
I
You have to keep in mind that the that his hitting on the sister will disgust her some day - but very probably not today.

Affair partners don't expect fidelity to each other. This whole time she's been instructed to manage you, prevent his wife finding out so she can remain a bit on the side. She even apologized for not keeping you in line.

Don't apply the logic of faithful couples to affairees.

She's been taught to compete. Be more 'patient and understanding' than his wife. Be more OK with infidelity. The thing with her sister will only spur her on to do better.

It's killing the addiction that's required. Not informing her he is a scumbag - she knows that.

It's like telling a cokehead ' that guys a drug dealer you know'.

The competition is what gives them the rush.

M
OP Offline
M
Humm. I understand the skepticism, but I don't share it entirely.

First, need to look at the broader picture-- she's accepted to work on our marriage. That is a big step forward for me. You may believe that's a ploy to keep me docile, and that's fine.
Second, her parents intervention was truly taken at heart. She has a very strong bond with her dad and his word is strong with her. He called her out, told her what OM was really like, and strongly urged her to stay with her husband and kids.
Third, she admitted that she was in a vulnerable state, mad at me, and got caught up in her feelings for an old flame.
Fourth, she admitted that she's disgusted that he used the same lines on her sister. She realizes that he's going through a mid-life crisis of his own and he was using her.
Fifth, we communicated about our problems and promised to keep communication channels open to rebuild our relationship. We're taking it day by day.
Fifth, she unfriended OM. Deleting FB account is silly in my mind (but I get your arguments). Should I take away her cel phone? Home phone? Internet access? There are a thousand ways for her to get in touch with him again easily. She could delete her FB page and open a fake one, him too, and they can continue to chat that way. So I'm not asking for that. In fact, it's easier for me to monitor a known account!!

Remember, I can still monitor her actions online. I don't need to shoot myself in the foot and drive their potential communications underground.

The affair is dead. I'm satisfied with that (but will monitor). I have no doubt she will have some moments of sadness, I gather it's normal. But we still need to work hard on our relationship.

M
M
Fifth, she unfriended OM. Deleting FB account is silly in my mind (but I get your arguments). Should I take away her cel phone? Home phone? Internet access? There are a thousand ways for her to get in touch with him again easily. She could delete her FB page and open a fake one, him too, and they can continue to chat that way. So I'm not asking for that. In fact, it's easier for me to monitor a known account!!

Mac, thats fine as long as you are ok with an on again, off again affair because that is where you are headed. The Facebook page will keep her feelings for the OM triggered. Keep in mind that this is your first rodeo. We have been through this a thousand times and see where you are headed. All avenues of contact have to be eliminated in order to affair proof your marriage. But that is OK if you want to ignore those precautions. IT IS YOUR MARRIAGE and you are the guy who will suffer for it. Thats ok if you want to learn the hard way. We are fine with that.

Here are the extraordinary precautions as written by Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and author of Surviving an Affair. He has specialized in saving marriages frm infidelity for 40 years. :

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Exposure 101

M
M
]
. In fact, it's easier for me to monitor a known account!!

The fact that you can "monitor" it misses the point entirely. All the "monitoring" in the world will not negate the trigger she feels when she gawks at the OM's Facebook page. It will keep her feelings triggered so she WILL find ways to contact him.

If the OM is free to contact her via email or phone the risk of the affair resuming is very high. You can "monitor" her email account all day long, but it won't help you if the OM emails her and rekindles her feelings.

It would be like an alcoholic. If you "monitor" an alcoholic drinking, does it make any difference? Of course not.

Exposure 101

A
A
Second, her parents intervention was truly taken at heart. She has a very strong bond with her dad and his word is strong with her. He called her out, told her what OM was really like, and strongly urged her to stay with her husband and kids.

In the weeks before my D-day when my wife and I were in counseling, she told her parents and the pastor of our church at separate occasions (and in front of my face) that she was going to stay and work to rebuild our marriage.

She left anyways to pursue her affair a few weeks later.

Be wary and snoop like crazy for the time being. Someone in an affair WILL throw their family under the bus to feed their addiction to their affair partner, I've seen it happen personally.

My story
A
A
Until you have a NC letter and an agreement to EPs, you are still in limbo. MB recovery program begins with those.

My story
I
I
Humm. I understand the skepticism, but I don't share it entirely.

First, need to look at the broader picture-- she's accepted to work on our marriage. That is a big step forward for me. You may believe that's a ploy to keep me docile, and that's fine.
Third, she admitted that she was in a vulnerable state, mad at me, and got caught up in her feelings for an old flame.
Fourth, she admitted that she's disgusted that he used the same lines on her sister. She realizes that he's going through a mid-life crisis of his own and he was using her.
Fifth, we communicated about our problems and promised to keep communication channels open to rebuild our relationship. We're taking it day by day.

Remember, I can still monitor her actions online. I don't need to shoot myself in the foot and drive their potential communications underground.

The affair is dead. I'm satisfied with that (but will monitor). I have no doubt she will have some moments of sadness, I gather it's normal. But we still need to work hard on our relationship.

Even if in her mind, it's dead for now, it would take less than nothing to restart it as things stand.

Recovery is tough and she will remain addicted to this man for life. That's a fact. It's not like an ordinary relationship.

All it would take is for OM to have a moment of weakness and reach out to her with a 'how you doing?' This COMMONLY happens - it's happened even with people facing court martial in the army when withdrawal gets bad!

If that happens, it won't matter if you're watching. She will be triggered and will feel like he's risked all for her to do so.

He can't trigger her if she sends an NC letter and changes her phone and email. Without those changes she is WAITING for him to contact her. NC can't happen without those things.

These are such simple precautions it makes no sense whatsoever to leave these gates wide open for him.

Even if she has resolved not to contact him, you haven't prevented him contacting her when withdrawal gets tough. Men can love two women at once so they tend to think about OW for years afterwards Even if their marriage does well.

You are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of addiction.

It's not felting FB that's silly, it's placing a silly website over your marriage that's crazy. You yourself have an EA brewing on FB.

Build a new marriage which is more important than the place where people tell each other what they had for lunch.

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/24/15 11:39 AM.

A
A
Any update, Mac?

My story
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation