Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
You keep claiming being civil isn't working for me...then you give examples of my life when I was NOT being just civil...THAT is spinning.

I gave examples of your EX-HUSBAND not being civil. You have no control over that. Never have, never will. So, of course, it doesn't work for you. You posted the evidence.

I text XH pick up drop off details. Give him education and health information as it comes up. We will just have to disagree that indicates I 'have a need to hang on to him so badly.'

Then why won't you let that long dead corpse go? Why are you hanging on for dear life?

As I said I don't agree that I am hanging on to a corpse by having minimum contact with my ds's father about drop off and pick up.

M
M
Ok, thank you for looking all that up and summing up what I've already said several times in this thread. I went out of minimum contact while attempting to avoid going to court and went BACK to minimum contact when I saw how it was harmful to me. And as I have said repeated, mimimum contact works for me.

That's fine, you don't have to concoct far reaching rationalizations for me. It is your life, not mine.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
As I said I don't agree that I am hanging on to a corpse by having minimum contact with my ds's father about drop off and pick up.

I am sure you don't agree.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S

If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people.

I really don't understand why you didn't just say this to her to begin with if that's how you really feel??

It was pointed out in my 1st post to the OP that her last thread had been regarding conflict and the stress she was experiencing with her xWH. She has been divorced for three years now and she is still going through this. You followed up with this:

I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

This doesn't read anything like what you are now saying.

You don't mention anything about the fact that you feel your xWH is rude and bashes you, and you don't say anything about the fact that you have had to cut back to absolute minimum "business-like" contact in order to keep it civil. You have now changed your terminology of having a "civil relationship" to you need to keep it to "minimum contact".

I am sorry you feel attacked but I am surprised you can't acknowledge the inconsistencies that are going on here. I don't know if you are in denial or just really anti-Plan B after D or what?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2715281 03/25/13 06:11 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by SusieQ
If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people.

I really don't understand why you didn't just say this to her to begin with if that's how you really feel??

It was pointed out in my 1st post to the OP that her last thread had been regarding conflict and the stress she was experiencing with her xWH. She has been divorced for three years now and she is still going through this. You followed up with this:

I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

This doesn't read anything like what you are now saying.

You don't mention anything about the fact that you feel your xWH is rude and bashes you, and you don't say anything about the fact that you have had to cut back to absolute minimum "business-like" contact in order to keep it civil. You have now changed your terminology of having a "civil relationship" to you need to keep it to "minimum contact".

I am sorry you feel attacked but I am surprised you can't acknowledge the inconsistencies that are going on here. I don't know if you are in denial or just really anti-Plan B after D or what?

I am not anti Plan B and I don't think I am in denial. I saw pages back that my 'civil' was being misunderstood, so I tried repeatedly to explain what I mean by civil. Thus adding other terms like minimum and business only. But as has been said to me MANY times, I am NOT in Plan B, so I said that up front in my post to avoid anyone thinking I was a Plan Ber...and yet even though I am not Plan B I do see the benefits of very minimal contact.

M
M
Methinks somebody is in serious denial here. crazy

Exposure 101

SusieQ #2715313 03/25/13 07:39 PM
D
D

I don't see much of a difference in the two posts. Maybe that's because I, too, maintain minimum (civil) contact with my ex regarding our son.

Kendall, I hope you are still here reading these... And I'm sorry if it seems like everyone is being real mean; I think it's just because we all feel strongly about our lives and hate to see someone make mistakes that seem so obvious to us.

I was definitely scared to date again, because I didn't do so well the first time even though I did everything I was taught was "right" (wait for marriage, wait til you got out of school, date a couple years, etc). And I still ended up marrying a man who almost destroyed my physical and mental health.

Reading through this site and going through some after divorce courses (I'm hesitant to list even though I didn't see an MB have a post-divorce program on the website since we're not supposed to list outside resources) really helped me realign myself and get my head screwed on straight.

One thing I would add is to look at why you don't to let him take any of the blame. When I read your post I felt like you were taking all the blame. Am I reading you right? Even if you were a bad wife, the blame wouldn't ALL be yours. I can understand looking at your errors, cleaning up your side of the street, but have you also put blame on him where it is rightfully due?

Wish you the best!

DTC

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
M
M
Originally Posted by DaisyTheCat2
[quote=SusieQ]
[quote=SmilingWoman]

I don't see much of a difference in the two posts. Maybe that's because I, too, maintain minimum (civil) contact with my ex regarding our son.

Actually there is a huge difference because she was using her own situation as a model, which is to avoid Plan B at all cost. You might have "civil" communications with your XH but she does not. Divorced people are rarely "civil" and not SW - or anyone else - has any control over that.

When people come here with this problem, the MB answer is to recommend Plan B. That is so clearly the best path that it just can't be argued. Anyone who would argue against it clearly doesn't care about the poster and I think that is obvious here.

No one cares if a person does or doesn't go into Plan B after divorce, but when a new poster in need has this problem, we need to be giving her MB advice, and not tortured personal "solutions" that don't even work for ourselves. That is not fair to anyone coming here seeking help. After all, the sign on the door says "Marriage Builders."

Kendall, I hope you are still here reading these... And I'm sorry if it seems like everyone is being real mean; I think it's just because we all feel strongly about our lives and hate to see someone make mistakes that seem so obvious to us.

It is mean to give people bad advice, especially when that advice does not even work for yourself. People feel very strongly about bad advice being given to unsuspecting posters. That is not fair to anyone.

Exposure 101

S
S
[quote=SusieQ]
[quote=SmilingWoman]

Actually there is a huge difference because she was using her own situation as a model, which is to avoid Plan B at all cost. You might have "civil" communications with your XH but she does not. Divorced people are rarely "civil" and not SW - or anyone else - has any control over that.

When people come here with this problem, the MB answer is to recommend Plan B. That is so clearly the best path that it just can't be argued. Anyone who would argue against it clearly doesn't care about the poster and I think that is obvious here.

No one cares if a person does or doesn't go into Plan B after divorce, but when a new poster in need has this problem, we need to be giving her MB advice, and not tortured personal "solutions" that don't even work for ourselves. That is not fair to anyone coming here seeking help. After all, the sign on the door says "Marriage Builders."

It is mean to give people bad advice, especially when that advice does not even work for yourself. People feel very strongly about bad advice being given to unsuspecting posters. That is not fair to anyone.

Again, yes I do. I have not had civil communications every second of the 4 years since D day, but I have had most of the past 2 years. Yes, there have been a few times since then when I let my guard down and didn't keep it minimal or civil or whatever, but yes I do maintain a civil relationship with my XH. And I have NEVER been against Plan B at all cost. You are again misrepresenting me.

M
M
Again, yes I do. I have not had civil communications every second of the 4 years since D day, but I have had most of the past 2 years. Yes, there have been a few times since then when I let my guard down and didn't keep it minimal or civil or whatever, but yes I do maintain a civil relationship with my XH. And I have NEVER been against Plan B at all cost. You are again misrepresenting me.

But your words don't match your actions. We can see your communications for ourselves, SW. They are not civil, nor do you have any control over that. Having "minimal" contact does not prevent your husband from being uncivil. And yes, you have always been against Plan B.

Exposure 101

S
S

But your words don't match your actions. We can see your communications for ourselves, SW. They are not civil, nor do you have any control over that. Having "minimal" contact does not prevent your husband from being uncivil. And yes, you have always been against Plan B.

You see the times I have let my guard down and posted that I was upset by him when I tried to be something other than civil/minimal/business like. Naturally I don't post the boring civil business like interactions that comprise the majority of our interactions for the last 2 years. And of course I can't control my XH but he stays civil when I keep the interactions minimal and business like.

And No I have never been against Plan B. I am against the strong arming that I have witnessed on this board when someone chooses to not do Plan B. But I am not against Plan B. I see that it has worked for many people. And that is great.

M
M
You see the times I have let my guard down and posted that I was upset by him when I tried to be something other than civil/minimal/business like.

Strangely, we don't see posts like that from those in Plan B. They are not "upset" by their X's because they don't have contact. What I do see is a woman who imagines she can control her XH's behavior and just can't let go.

And No I have never been against Plan B. I am against the strong arming that I have witnessed on this board when someone chooses to not do Plan B. But I am not against Plan B. I see that it has worked for many people. And that is great.

Yet you encouraged the very distraught starter of this thread to maintain "minimal contact" by posting your own experience. Of course you didn't tell her how bad it has really been. Which is very typical of you.

Exposure 101

M
M
Let's please keep this thead on track! We are here to promote Marriage Builders concepts. If you cannot support this poster with Marriage Builders concepts, please refrain from posting!

mbseasons@aol.com
M
M
Thanks MBSeasons! Sorry for the threadjack, Kendall, I thought it was important for you to see the downside of not following MB concepts. It is not pretty!

Exposure 101

S
S
EDIT

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 03/25/13 08:33 PM. Reason: TOS stop means stop
S
S
Originally Posted by MBSeasons
Let's please keep this thead on track! We are here to promote Marriage Builders concepts. If you cannot support this poster with Marriage Builders concepts, please refrain from posting!

So sorry! We were posting at the same time.

S
S

Hinting to someone who is struggling with issues related to communicating the ex (three years post D I might add) that maintaining contact and being "civil" for the sake of the children is the exact opposite of encouraging Plan B.

It is actually an anti-PB/PP sentiment -- because children do "better" when the parents are emotionally healthy and the children are not being subjected to conflict/tension etc.

One of the frustrating parts of going into Plan B for me were these types of comments I received from people. I posted about this in the parallel parenting thread:

Hope this information will help a Plan Ber when they are confronted with "You need to be communicating for the good of the children!" like I have been.

In fact, my uncle my uncle said this to me. This same uncle who divorced his WW several years before me and during the D process had an altercation with his WW wherein the police were called to the house -- all in front of the children. This same uncle who years after the D still will complain on and on and on about his xWW to anyone who will listen. Because he has to maintain contact for the sake of the children? Old school thinking. This is exactly what they taught in us about PP during our divorce class.

Kendall, if you are still with us, no one is trying to be "mean" as has been suggested. Sometimes topics can get heated, and the reason some of us in Plan B are pretty passionate about it is because we have been on BOTH sides and know how much peace and relief and healing it can bring.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation