Marriage Builders
Posted By: obr3 Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/25/10 05:24 PM
I've read so much at this point that I'm a bit confused. I'll try to be short and concise.

I'm 29, wife is 25, marriage 3 years. She grew rapidly distant in under 2 months and I found her having an emotional affair with a co-worker. They were going on dates and there were at least 2 instances of kissing and hugging. At the moment, I don't believe that any sex occurred. D-day was 8 days ago.

I confronted my wife, she showed virtually no remorse and at the time didn't know if she wanted to work on saving our marriage. The next day however, she agreed that we should try.

After finally sitting down to talk about it, she agreed to write and deliver a no-contact letter. In the meantime I found that she was keeping up with him on facebook, a lot. She did reveal a few emails that he sent her at work. Last night I found her search history on "My husband took me back after I cheated but I don't want to be marriage anymore".

She talked to a friend for an hour on the phone. Afterwards I came to her, asked how she was since I know she's struggling. She then cried and admitted she tracked down her affair partner at work to talk. He told her how unique she is, that he only wants her to be happy, and not coming home to someone that makes her miserable. She then explained that she doesn't want to be married and rather than be with her co-worker would rather be alone. She also say's she married too young (at 22) and never had time to be alone in her 20's. She is suggesting separation also; both by home and finances.

She also agreed to counseling which will start early next week. She's declined my suggestion that she quits her job. (I make decent money and can sustain us just fine)

She also can't remember being happy with me, which she was, but that's expected as I've come to learn. My question is this:

My wife is having an emotional affair and some physical contact. She delivered a no-contact letter and agreed to work on marriage on Tuesday (3 days ago). She has no let go emotionally, on facebook, or at work from her emotional "lover". The "lover" I've learned has done this before, perhaps at work, and been in trouble for trying to break up a marriage. He's a bad guy, which hurts me all the more. My wife and I had a fairly good day yesterday (all things considered) and I'm finding levels of patience and love I never knew I had. Also levels of pain I couldn't have imagined. I love my wife so much and have been knocked completely off my feet by this. I have not exposed this to family which is where I'm stuck. She's reluctantly showing effort, but contact with the other man is being continued at times. Though to her credit, she managed to let me drag one instance of contact out into the open. Should I expose the affair to our families?

ps. I'm also taking vacation so I can read His Needs Her Needs and am 1000% committed to bettering myself. I want my wife back. The real and happy her.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 05:49 PM
Welcome to MARRIAGE BUILDERS.

Posted By: Pepperband Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 05:52 PM
Is OM married?
Is there any way you can meet OM face to face and tell him to butt out, you love your wife, and you intend to fight for your marriage?
Only do this if you have excellent self control.
Posted By: throughtheglass Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 06:07 PM
do you have any children? if not, empty the joint bank account and tell her to pound sand.

at 29, you have so much life ahead of yourself. you dont want to deal with this nonsense. don't fool yourself, she is not having an EA with "some physical contact". that is called a physical affair, and i doubt it is just a little contact. you will always be wondering 'is she doing it again?'. once you have children, it will be even tougher to walk away.

it may suck now, but in 3 years you will look back and realize you did the right thing.

TTG

Posted By: obr3 Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 06:42 PM
Sorry about the missing info.

We have no children.
The OM is not married. He's enjoying his single life: day job, cheap beer and partying by night.
I have great self control, at least until I snap, at which point I could do anything. Several people have commented they don't know how I haven't destroyed this man already.

@Pepperband Why do you think a confrontation with the OM would help? He knows me, I've eaten at his table, met his friends. He doesn't care about what he's doing to my marriage or me.

@throughtheglass Those very thoughts have crossed my mind more than once. I never wanted to deal with this kind of situation and pain.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 07:15 PM
Sorry you are here but welcome.

First, if you change your thread title to something like, "Help needed to end WW's EA" or "should I expose", you will likely get more traffic. Since the thread is new, I believe you can do it yourself or you can ask the mods to do it by clicking "Notify".

Get your Plan A together. 1) Snooping ~ Get a keylogger & VAR installed and start gathering your evidence. 2) Read up on meeting ENs and (most importantly) avoiding Lovebusters.

When I landed here at MB, my H was working with his OW and the message that I got hammered with is --> as long as they are working together, you won't be able to recover. It will feel like dday over and over again. It was so true...so I just want to give you fair warning.

Is OM on FB? Who have you exposed this to?

Hang in there. I'll try to post you some links before I need to run...
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 07:19 PM
Read, read, read...

Carrot&Stick of Plan A

Read my lips: No Contact means No Contact
Posted By: obr3 Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 07:48 PM
@SusieQ
I did the Keylogger today. Of course, I suspect that work related communication is the vast majority of communication if not all of it; and I can't view any of it.

What are ENs?

And YES! My gosh does it feel like D-Day each day! Plus I find out that contact does happen!

The OM is on facebook. I've exposed this to a former boss/friend and his wife. They were my first point of contact on D-Day when I lost my head. Beyond that I've talked to my younger brother and a co-worker of my wife's that knows all parties involved.

Just a little bit ago I noticed that my wife was searching for "eavesdropping" on google just before we met for lunch (which is the first lunch we've had together in a while).
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by obr3
@Pepperband Why do you think a confrontation with the OM would help? He knows me, I've eaten at his table, met his friends. He doesn't care about what he's doing to my marriage

Do you think you could confront him safely?
It probably would not stop him, if he is indeed as ruthless as you say.
Posted By: imagine Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 08:35 PM
If there was kissing involved - technically it is a PA.

Do not tell your wife about this site, nor expose her communication with OM. Keep your methods a secret. Redirect your source of info.

There is a letter here that exposes the EA at work to ensure that no wasted time takes place between the couple during office hours. Hopefully someone will post you the Company letter. I can't find it in the notable posts.

Make sure that she will not understand your call name if she should discover this site.

We are all behind you!
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 10:23 PM
EN = Emotional Needs.

Sorry you haven't gotten more posts yet...

There is a recent poster whose WS was having an A with a coworker who got some good posts about exposure. I'll do some cutting & pasting and link the thread for you...
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 10:33 PM
LINK
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
....The most impactful thing you can do to save your marriage is expose this affair. It should be done in a wide spread, strategic manner all on the same day. Doing it on the same day ensures a tsunami effect that is hard for the affairees to recoup from.

Exposure is the most powerful weapon because it is like turning on the lights in a crack house and bringing in a crowd of people. It is no fun getting high when everyone is watching. Dr Harley, the founder of Marriage Builders, and clinical psychologist, says this about exposure:

Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.
here

Exposure works immediately in some cases, in others it hastens the death of the affair. There are no guarantees, but it is your best weapon.

Best practices that we have found around here are doing it all in one day. Make up a COMPREHENSIVE LIST of exposure targets and start exposing by making phone calls, sending emails, sending overnight letters.

Exposure targets are :

1. parents of ALL - yours, his, the OW's - call them up and tell them about the affair and tell them you are trying to save your marriage. Ask for their advice. Ask the OW's parents to use their influence to persuade their daughter to quit her job and leave your H alone

2. close friends and family - call them up and tell them about the affair and tell them you are trying to save your marriage. Ask for their advice.

3. employer, if a workplace affair [we have a letter that should be sent to Human Resources]

4. facebook exposure of the OW and your H. This has proven to be a very powerful exposure tool. you would make a copy of all their contacts and save in a Word doc. Send them a private email asking them to use their influence to persuade the adulterers to end their affair. Space the emails out so that facebook doesn;t shut you down. Enlist one of your friends to help you in this. [I will post some sample letters below]

This is your most powerful weapon against the affair, fanti. Additionally, I would stay in constant contact with the OW's BF so you can compare notes and cause as much conflict in the affair as possible.

Do you have the book Surviving an Affair? I would get that ASAP so the things we are tellng you make some sense.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/25/10 10:34 PM
More...
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Another thing you can do that has proven to be one of the most powerful weapons against an affair is exposure on facebook to the OM�s friends. Facebook is a collection of the person�s closest and most important friends, all in one spot! We have had numerous affairs killed in the SAME DAY after a facebook exposure. They are DEADLY. What we did was make a copy of all the names of all the OP�s friends FIRST. [this is important because once the OP gets wind you are sending out messages to his friends, he will close his page] You will have to send out an email, one by one to his facebook friends. It should go something like this:

Facebook exposure letters

Dear friend of Joe Scumbag,

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of his friends should know the kind of person he really is. Joe had an affair with my wife, Sally, from Aug until September. I believe that his friends should know this, so you can protect your marriage from him. My wife and I have 2 small daughters and this affair has almost wrecked our marriage.

I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify his parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.

Thank you, BH

Dear friend of Skankyhola,

It grieves me to write this letter but I believe all of her friends should be aware that Skanky is having an affair with my husband, Joe. We have been married for 5 years. They have been having this affair since October according to the evidence.
I would be happy to provide the evidence to anyone who asks.

I would ask that you use your influence with Skanky to persuade her to leave my husband alone. You should also watch your own husbands around her because she is no friend to marriage.

I would appreciate it if someone would notify her parents and ask them to call me at xxx-www-xxxx.
Thank you, BW
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/25/10 10:47 PM
My wife is having an emotional affair and some physical contact. She delivered a no-contact letter and agreed to work on marriage on Tuesday (3 days ago). She has no let go emotionally, on facebook, or at work from her emotional "lover". The "lover" I've learned has done this before, perhaps at work, and been in trouble for trying to break up a marriage. He's a bad guy, which hurts me all the more. My wife and I had a fairly good day yesterday (all things considered) and I'm finding levels of patience and love I never knew I had. Also levels of pain I couldn't have imagined. I love my wife so much and have been knocked completely off my feet by this. I have not exposed this to family which is where I'm stuck. She's reluctantly showing effort, but contact with the other man is being continued at times. Though to her credit, she managed to let me drag one instance of contact out into the open. Should I expose the affair to our families?

Here's your problem, ob: your WW has written a NC letter, but is still in contact with the OP. So the NC letter means nothing. She still works with him and is still Facebooking him. This A will not die until NC is established, and that is going to involve her quitting her job (unless he quits first, which would be great but don't expect it.)

I have been reluctant to post to your thread because I get the impression that you will allow your WW's job to be Priority No. 1 to your M. If that is the case, nothing I can suggest will help. You will have chosen your course of marital death.

If, however, you are willing to listen to us, and force her to leave her job and her lover, we'll help you kill this A and save your M. Up to you.

FYI, it doesn't matter if the OM is the scum of the earth and trying to break up families because it's his hobby, or the Pope in a crisis of human-ness. OM is in an A with your WW. That's all you need to work on. Don't use his "past" to make her see the light. Ain't gonna happen. Concentrate strictly on killing the A, not making your WW see what a POS the OM is.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 03:17 PM
@Maritalbliss

Thanks. I will listen. I told my friend yesterday I'd go be a s**t shoveler the rest of my life if it'd help rebuild and protect our marriage. I am asking her today to quit her job.

I have a terrible feeling that she will not comply. Her resentment for me and infatuation with the OM is so great even after a week. I mean, barely 24 hours ago I managed to squeeze out of her that she's seen him again.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 03:24 PM
@Maritalbliss

Thanks. I will listen. I told my friend yesterday I'd go be a s**t shoveler the rest of my life if it'd help rebuild and protect our marriage. I am asking her today to quit her job.

I have a terrible feeling that she will not comply.

obr, sorry you are here. I would suggest DEMANDING she leave the job or this will lead to divorce. I would explain to her that your will marriage will not recover until she ends all contact with the OM.

Have you exposed the affair to Human Resources? Many companies do not want to employ adulterers and they have an issue with this.

From the new book by Dr. Harley Effective Marriage Counseling pg 94:

"Granted, there are situations when demands may be necessary in marriage. During a spouse's affair, for example, I recommend that the betrayed spouse demand there be no contact with the lover. If there is continued contact, separation or even divorce would be the logical consequence. While normally demands don't work, in this case there are no reasonable alternatives because thoughtful requests are even less likely to separate lovers."

Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 06:24 PM
Well, I had her read a printout of the No Contact article from affaircare.com. She was quiet a while. We talked some and I explained that for us to truly work on our marriage, I'm asking her to quit her job Monday morning.

She got really upset, cried, said I'm trying to isolate her more, that her only stability is through work (which by the way she's not enjoyed until the past two months). She told me that she can't quit her job. I'm hoping that she'll change her mind.

I rode out the storm and she settled some. I stressed that I can't force her to do any of this. That we both have choices to make and enforcing a real and absolute no-contact policy is required if we want to make our marriage work.

After a while she agreed to read His Needs Her Needs, at least for now. She's reading as I type this.

If she can't quit her job, it will be time to expose this to her family, boss, and friends. She will hate me all the more, but I have to try.

@MelodyLane

Funny that you should bring up contacting human resources. The OM is in Human Resources and may be the head of it! (I'm not certain of his official title.)

The only person at work I can think of contacting is my wife's supervisor whom has been there over 25 years and has a great deal of authority within the company. Again, dealing with Human Resources is a little dangerous it seems.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 06:34 PM
If she can't quit her job, it will be time to expose this to her family, boss, and friends. She will hate me all the more, but I have to try.

She won't hate you when she sobers up from the high of her affair. Exposure is step #1 in recovering your marriage, obr. I would go forward with this.

The OM should be exposed via certified letter to a company VP, ccing both of their direct supervisors. We have a template letter for this.

Is the OM married? If so, his wife should be notified pronto.

Developed by Brits Brat, board member and corporate attorney. This letter should be mailed/delivered to the Director of HR, with cc's to a key VP and the infidel's supervisors. It should go to 3 people with all being cc'd so that no one is tempted to throw the letter away.

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to bring a matter to your attention that may be a violation of your Company's Code of Conduct and/or other policies, procedures and business ethics.

WS and WS are involved in an extramarital affair that is taking place, primarily, in the workplace. Aside from the potential sexual harassment claims this situation presents, it also involves the inappropriate use of company resources and assets. WS and WS are using company time and company resources to further their affair. If you check the call histories on their office and cell phones along with their workstation computers, you will find the two of them are spending an inordinate amount of what should be productive work time to further their sexual relationship.

If you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxxx. Otherwise, I will anticipate a response from you once you have investigated these concerns and taken appropriate corrective action.

Regards,

BS
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 06:35 PM
After a while she agreed to read His Needs Her Needs, at least for now. She's reading as I type this.

obr, this is a waste of time until she quits the job and ends all contact with the OM?

Is the OM married? If so, does his wife know? If he is married, I would call his wife TODAY and be prepared to take a letter into the company VP on Monday.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 06:53 PM
obr, you have made some missteps, hopefully they will not derail your efforts to bust up this A.

1) DON'T share MB info with your WW until all contact has ended. It is fruitless and will frustrate you more. Hopefully she won't remember how to get to the forum. Erase it from your history and erase any bookmarks you may have on your computer. Don't read it around her anymore! Please.

While she is still working with OM, she is still the equivalent of a crack addict still taking crack. ONce you can really absorb this, the rest of the advice you are getting will make sense.

2) Exposure is not meant to be used as blackmail or a threat. Don't bring it up again to her. If she asks, change the subject or say something vague like I am willing to fight for our M.

I almost wonder if OM would be fired given his position once you expose. I definitely would do it Monday like Mel said.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 07:03 PM
Funny that you should bring up contacting human resources. The OM is in Human Resources and may be the head of it! (I'm not certain of his official title.)

The only person at work I can think of contacting is my wife's supervisor whom has been there over 25 years and has a great deal of authority within the company. Again, dealing with Human Resources is a little dangerous it seems.

*67 and then dial the HR dept. of the company. Disguise your voice (or have a trusted friend help you) and ask for the name of the person in charge of that department. That will confirm your intel about OM's position. If he is the head, then your letter will probably go in the trash. You'll need to work your way up the food chain. If OM is the head, ask for the name of his supervisor and send it to him.

Keep going up the chain to find out who supervises the supervisor, etc. Heck, if you have to send a letter to the President, do it. Make sure the heading of your letter shows every name you're sending copies to. That way everyone will know that they aren't the only one to get a letter, and they won't be able to sweep it under the rug.

Your goal is to get your letter into the hands of at least two people in positions to act. Don't stop at one - for all you know, your W's supervisor could be best buds with OM.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 08:34 PM
Just talked to her. She won't quit her job. She says that the OM will likely quit soon since he wants to be a fireman.

Advice??? She won't leave her job.
Posted By: TheRoad Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 08:38 PM
Expose to the CEO, then CC the Board of Directors. Send Emails and registered letters.

If OM is head of HR then skip HR.
Posted By: YEG Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 08:49 PM
Just talked to her. She won't quit her job. She says that the OM will likely quit soon since he wants to be a fireman.

GAS LIGHT ALERT.

Do NOT assume that what she is saying to you is true. Waywards will say anything to stop exposure and protect the light switch. Dont "Hope" he quits. Force one of them out the door.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 08:55 PM

Time to expose the A at the workplace. Don't threaten her that you're going to do it, either. Just DO IT.

When she comes home and blows her stack, here's your mantra: "I will do whatever it takes to save my marriage."
Repeat as often as necessary.

Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 09:26 PM

Don't panic.

This is following the wayward script and not unexpected AT ALL. Your W isn't ready to stop seeing the OM. Exposure will help to kill the excitement of the A and how they feel when they see each other at work...

For now, don't bring up this website or the topic of exposure again.

Because your WW knows about this site & exposure, it is possible that she told OM and they are planning to let people at the workplace know that you are "crazy jealous and reading too much into a few innocent emails" or something along those lines....so I would expose sooner rather than later. Workplace first, all the other targets after, all in one day. Tomorrow to be safe.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Is my wife doing better? She was very open with me today. Much talk about the love between her and the other man. Very hard to hear but I'm taking it like a pro.

Still, after a long talk and her refusal to quit her job, I feel like a doormat. I don't deserve this. Our marriage isn't the POS she's making it out to be. We were happy. Not always, not flawlessly, but we were. Now it makes her sick to think about working through this and I have to listen to her describe her forbidden love and how contrasted to it, I'm crap. I know better, but I'm starting to believe her.

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 10:19 PM
obr, is the OM married?
Posted By: YEG Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 10:26 PM
Is my wife doing better? She was very open with me today. Much talk about the love between her and the other man. Very hard to hear but I'm taking it like a pro.

Define better.

She is coming to you with her problems. Thats good. It means she hasnt checked out of the M completely left. Apathy is the killer. Its when they just dont care at all anymore.

Its bad because she is fogged out of her brain. When she tells you that she is trying to feed off your feelings for her. She wants you to let her roam free to find her love. best case scenario for you is you continue to pay the bills while she runs around cake eating with the OM. Or you give her "one last kindness" and grant her the amicable divorce freeing her to run around with the OM.

Assume that there are always ulterior motives with a WS. You wont be wrong.

Don't expect changes overnight. You are trying to dam a river with pebbles. Dont expect the first 2 to stop the flow of water. You HAVE to keep your expectations in check. I KNOW how hard it is. Just assume your WW is already gone. Go at your PA mechanically assuming that she is completely ignoring it.

If you don't then you will let expectations creep in. When that happens your taker appears and expects her to reciprocate. That WILL not happen you will get frustrate and LB.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/26/10 10:30 PM
We all have dealt with the "fogbabble" and we get it ~ we do!

The things my H did and said when he was in contact were ridiculous. He thought I shouldn't be surprised he was having an EA due to "how bad thing were" between us. What?! Three weeks once after NC, he watched the infidelity video on the home page here and had a complete breakdown over what he had done.

So it is best to focus on your PLAN to fight this and get to NC! Exposure is the best tool you have. Once you get to NC and your W defogs, that's when you can take what she says seriously.

So are you exposing tomorrow? If so, to who?
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Quick question about an EA / PA - 06/26/10 10:38 PM
The OM is not married. He's enjoying his single life: day job, cheap beer and partying by night.

ok, I found the answer! obr, you have the OM by the NADS through his work. Expose the hell out of them at work. He is playing with fire with a subordinate.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 03:04 AM
Still, after a long talk and her refusal to quit her job, I feel like a doormat. I don't deserve this. Our marriage isn't the POS she's making it out to be. We were happy. Not always, not flawlessly, but we were. Now it makes her sick to think about working through this and I have to listen to her describe her forbidden love and how contrasted to it, I'm crap. I know better, but I'm starting to believe her.

Read what you wrote again. Do you see your mental conflict? (I helped you a little - I've put it in bold smile )

You are in the difficult position of having to listen to a person who, at one time, you depended on to have fairly sensible comments and philosophies. That person is now an addled addict whose thought processes are completely skewed. You're still trying to give her credit with making sensible comments, like she did before she became addicted to OM. You can't do that. It'll make you crazy. You'll begin to question every value you've ever had. Stay tough. Listening to a wayward is something the Geneva Convention would have outlawed.

Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 12:33 PM
She started reading His Needs Her Needs. We also talked a long while and she exposed more contact with the OM. She also went on about how great he is, how while she knows he's seduced women before that their love is special and that he truly wants her in a loving way. She also told me that she knows they'd have great sex; largely by way of him telling her so. Also that for the first time in her life she could picture herself getting a house and having children.

I took all of those words like a pro. Though at the end I had no energy left and had to go pray in the shower.

We went out with friends that night (last night) to a downtown concert. My goal was to avoid thinking about our situation for a while.

I'm supposed to pour so much effort and love into our marriage right now, but she is hardly any help at all. She's not shown sincere remorse over the affair. She does "say" she wants to work on it, but she broke no contract. She sat there yesterday afternoon crying, saying she doesn't want life to be like this. I told her that it's not going to get better unless she leaves that job and him COMPLETELY. She won't right now and she has solid job alternatives if she wanted to take them.

Exposure? I don't know. It's embarrassing on some level, not that I care much. I may do it. At least to her boss. Family? I don't know. Would it help? Do I even care anymore? People work through this for years, God help them.

We've been married 3 years, I've enjoyed our time and I love her, but I'm exhausted and don't deserve this. I don't know how much more I can take. I'm a very loyal person and this resentment and outside love affair is kryptonite to me.

How many times in a day can I listen to pleas for a way out and how great the OM's love is? I'm not a wimp, but I'm not made of stone either.

Side note:
I confided in my younger brother who proceeded to fly from CA to AL without telling me, visited the OM's house, and planed to "mug" him, or at least make it look that way. Some questions he asked allowed me to suspect something was up and I stopped him before I figured out he was in town. I told him that the better the OM's life goes right now, the better off my marriage is since my WW won't hear about his misfortune and want to go shower him with the love that she's taken away from me. Though I did appreciate the offer and when this is all said and done, I'm game for beating the mess out of the OM.

@Maritalbliss
You are right. It's making me crazy.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 01:29 PM
Exposure? I don't know. It's embarrassing on some level, not that I care much. I may do it. At least to her boss. Family? I don't know. Would it help? Do I even care anymore? People work through this for years, God help them.

OMG! I just told my husband like....5 seconds ago that I am sooo glad that he exposed my A, this was my exact words. "babe, I am 200% happy that you exposed me!"

The reason why I say this is because when he exposed my A the fog lifted and I saw the reality!

By all means if you want to live your life for the next 3 to 4 years trying to fix your marriage then DON'T expose, but if you want to fix it NOW then EXPOSE EXPOSE EXPOSE!!! TO EVERYONE!

Family
Friends
Co-workers
Church friends
Neighbors
OM's family and friends!

Your choice smile

This is NOT YOUR secret to keep! TELL ALL!
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 02:15 PM
How many times in a day can I listen to pleas for a way out and how great the OM's love is? I'm not a wimp, but I'm not made of stone either.
Why are you allowing her to do this? Plan A is not = Plan Doormat. You are allowed to have boundaries and one of them is not to pacify her while she prattles on about how much she loves OM. You can let her know how painful that is...and you can do so without any lovebusters.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the Plans here. Do you need more reading material?

Plan A = exposure, avoid lovebusters, show wandering spouse willingness to fix the marriage and meet ENs.

(Now you have put the pieces into motion to help hasten the ending of the affair...which they do 98% of the time...and left your W with good memories of the M)

After exposure, if she continues on this way and still refuses to leave the job, you go to Plan B. Tell her to pack her bags and go be with OM. Now she will be reliant on him to meet ALL of her ENs which changes the dynamics of the A.

Exposure? I don't know. It's embarrassing on some level, not that I care much. I may do it. At least to her boss. Family? I don't know. Would it help? Do I even care anymore?
You are "exhausted" because you have been in Plan C, Plan Confusion. Why not follow Dr Harley's plans since they are tried and true and have helped so many of us here?
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 02:40 PM
To add to what Susie said, Dr. Harley has said (Melody usually is able to post teh quote quickly) that even slight deviations from the plan result in failure. Part of Plan A is complete exposure.

You cannot cherry pick it apart and expect the plan to work. Expose to everyone. Do so with a vengence! Like with the fury of a thousand angry mud turtles.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 03:36 PM

*IF* you want the best chance possible at saving your marriage, you will expose. If you don't want the best chance, then don't do it. Those of us who saved our marriages did so by exposing the affair. It is no guaranteee, but NOT DOING it greatly increases the chances you won't save your marriage.

Being "embarrassed" is no excuse to not do it. She should be embarrassed.

. I may do it. At least to her boss. Family? I don't know.

Exposure needs to be done in a comprehensive manner, not a little here and a little there. A little dribble is about like bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight. You will just get shot and will be wasting your time.

Exposure is your greatest weapon against the affair according to DR HARLEY and to those of us who have saved our marriages on this forum:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery.".

Here is what Dr Harley tells a man whose wife is having an affair at work on his radio show about exposure. He calls this husband an ENABLER for not exposing the affair: radio segment here
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 03:40 PM
Exposure? I don't know. At least to her boss. Family? I don't know. Would it help?

Dr. Willard Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders: "In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery." here
Posted By: shinethrough Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/27/10 04:37 PM
She also went on about how great he is, how while she knows he's seduced women before that their love is special and that he truly wants her in a loving way. She also told me that she knows they'd have great sex; largely by way of him telling her so. Also that for the first time in her life she could picture herself getting a house and having children.

Obr,

Here's a very long letter by an author unknown. I suggest you print it out for your WW and ask her to read the whole thing.
She sounds quite naive.
Good Luck,
Jerry

He'll be different with you, you're special.
Author Unknown

You two have a "connection," a rapport that he didn't (doesn't) have with his wife. You have more things in common, similar personalities. He's pointed out all the ways that you two are so alike - it's just uncanny. You are so lucky to have met him at this point in your life. He says that he really appreciates you for who you really are or really need (or whatever) - and he's the first person to really do that, or the first one in a long time, now isn't he? Sure, he said the same things to *her* when he got together with her (and then grew to hate so many things about her), but it's different with you. He couldn't possibly be operating from scripts anymore. And it's so nice to finally have someone YOU can lean on, have fun with and just relax and be yourself, isn't it? And he can lean on you!

All of a sudden, here's this guy offering to help in ways that no one ever did. Knowing all the things you have been longing for lately and wanting in a partner. He couldn't possibly be hooking into your heart-felt desires and hurt places and pretending to be the answer, because he knows that's where you are vulnerable.

He couldn't be pretending to like the things you like, and want the things you want, and be the person you have been looking for (even if you didn't know you were looking), because it's part of his patterns. Just because he did that with the women that came before you, doesn't mean he's doing that with you.

He's really sincere this time.

He's told you all his deep dark secrets (at least, all the ones he thinks can win him sympathy and attention). He's acknowledged how he behaved badly in the past (even though it was brought out by who he was with). You two must have a very special connection for him to be so open and "honest". And he seems to be remorseful, so that must mean he won't do that kind of thing again, right?

Not with you. You're special. You can fix him. So what if he told his wife the same kinds of deep, dark secrets, opened up in the same way? So what if he exhibited the same kind of remorse for things he did to partners before HER? So what if he told her all the same sob stories and pretended to be working on his ****** with her? So what if he lied to his therapist and others? He really means it this time, with you. You can save him. So what when he had his problems he used her for a while, with you he will be different, you're special.

He says things are going to be different with YOU. Even though he SAYS he accepts responsibility for his actions, he also says that it was really things in HER that brought out his bad behavior. He's not going to be like that with YOU. Sure, he said the same things to HER, but this time he'll be different, because he's told you how YOU are different from her. (So what if he's told other people how you remind him of HER? That doesn't mean he's following the same old patterns, targeting the same types of women.

That doesn't mean that he'll be in turn emotionally abusive with YOU at some point...) He's such a sweet, wonderful, helpful guy, it MUST have been something in HER that caused him to act badly, right?

So what if he was busy cutting her down behind her back with their mutual friends while he was telling her she was the "best thing that ever happened to him", and that he had "never loved anyone as much as he loved her"? That doesn't mean he still has the capacity to be manipulative and dishonest and cruel. He was just confused, the poor man. And besides, he won't be like that anymore, with the right woman to love him and dote on him. She just didn't give him the kind of attention he really needed. But YOU will. So he'd NEVER do that to YOU.

So what if he didn't leave his wife before he got together with you? It's not like an abuser should spend a few years in therapy, and work on his stuff before getting involved in another intimate relationship, right? I mean, after over 3 (or four) decades of emotional abuse and being an abuser, he can get himself fixed up enough to stop harming others in a just few months, with the right woman to rescue, er, "help" him.

And those stories of how his wife has emotionally abandoned him... He's just had it so ROUGH all his life! He told you how she didn't even try to keep the marriage together or say that she wanted to try to salvage their relationship when he said he wanted to separate. She was just so unfeeling! The poor man - here he was trying so HARD and all - seeing a counselor and everything! It couldn't possibly be that SHE was so emotionally beaten down by his behavior that she was RELIEVED when he wanted to leave... He couldn't have been emotionally abusive and dishonest with HER too!

If his wife didn't trust him, it had nothing to do with HIM and his behavior - it must have been HER issues.

Even if in his past, he DID say, "Some of the problems I bring about by vamping, pumping up the emotional content of a situation. Of course that's easy to do with a new friend. I have a stock of techniques and behaviors, tested. I'm also inventive ... so I pick up new techniques fairly quickly ... It's just I'd rather enjoy the "romance".

It comes naturally to me. I enjoy doing it. It's also a head trip for me, with my poor self esteem, to have someone so taken with me. I like the first results, the joyous feelings, the elation, the euphoria, just not where it leads." ... he couldn't possibly still have been doing that with his wife, or even YOU. He has REAL, deep feelings for you. You've even seen him cry and show his vulnerable side. That MUST mean he's sincere, right? He couldn't possibly be using YOU for an ego stroke. Not the man YOU know.

He's just so caring and sensitive and considerate. He's so sweet, making love, sending you little cards, doing all those romantic things. He really does seem too good to be true - cooking, cleaning, intelligent, creative, affectionate. So what if he was like that for the first year or so with her too... before the subtle patterns of abuse started to creep in? So what if all that "wonderful" behavior shifted until he was telling her he loved her one day and then telling others how horrible she was behind her back the next? He wouldn't do that to you too, down the road. She must have brought it out in him. He couldn't possibly be playing the same game over and over again, with you as the next target. No. This time, he'll be different, with you.

So what if he has been incapable of honesty and integrity all his life? So what if he actually admitted to his wife (just about the time you two started up again): "I am afraid of truth-tellers. I have so many lies in my past and present. The truth burns." That couldn't mean that he was telling lies to YOU. After all, he was so HONEST about his dishonesty so THAT'S got to count for something... It must mean he realizes his mistakes and won't make the same ones again, right? The fact that he acknowledges things is so CONVINCING. If he acknowledges it, then he couldn't possibly STILL do those sorts of things. Sure, sure. He had HER convinced too. But he couldn't possibly be STILL lying to YOU. You're special.

Yeah, sure, he might have done those kinds of things in the past, but the past is the past, right? It doesn't have any danger of repeating itself with you. Because you're special. His love for you is so strong and your connection to each other is so different (at least, that's what he has told you, and you know you can trust him, right?), he wouldn't EVER do anything deliberately hurtful or malicious to YOU. He wouldn't undermine YOUR support network and use your friends to hurt YOU. He'd never make snide remarks about YOU behind your back and then make sure you found out about it. No no no. She must have brought that out in him. But you, you're special.

Besides, he's been in therapy. That must mean he's sincere, right? He wouldn't possibly be using the whole "therapy" thing as a cover-up to make himself look better because his reputation got damaged after the fiasco with (his wife, or whoever). He couldn't possibly be using contrition, and the "I feel so bad about myself"-line to get sympathy and support! He couldn't possibly be going after women who have a strong sense of personal responsibility because he knows how to manipulate that to try and get them to feel responsible for HIS sick feelings. He couldn't possibly be seeking out active, intelligent, dedicated women, so that he can PUNISH them when they don't direct all that energy to HIM. Just because he has engaged in such manipulative behavior in the past doesn't mean he would be doing that NOW. Not with YOU. You're SPECIAL.

He's so contrite and sincere about "working on his issues", he couldn't possibly be lying about that. Just because he has a history of pathological lying to himself and others, doesn't mean he'll be that way with you. Besides, if he has deceived himself so completely that HE doesn't know it's a lie, then he can't be held accountable for it, right? He won't use that sort of deception and evasion with YOU. You're special.

The poor guy just made bad choices before (you). Sure he made mistakes, but if his ex doesn't want to have anything to do with him, and now thinks he is mentally ill, it must be because SHE is unstable - I mean, look at how amazing and kind and charming he is with you... He couldn't possibly have been like that with HER TOO... He wouldn't be using stock romance "lines" on YOU. This time, it's REALLY love. You're Special.

Sure, he did a *few* things in his past that were unkind, but he needs to be forgiven for HIS behavior, (after all, she drove him to it, or whoever), but HER mistakes and reactions to his emotional abuse, were unforgivable. But things will be different with you. He won't think YOUR mistakes are unforgivable. He won't apply a double-standard to YOU. He won't expect YOU to be perfect and subtely criticize you when you don't measure up to his standards. You're the one who is going to change his life.

And speaking of unforgivable, of COURSE he can't forgive her for doing things that *hurt* him (he's so deeply sensitive, you see) - but he couldn't possibly have lied about the things he said she did. He couldn't possibly have "set up" situations so he could cry foul... He wouldn't have ENCOURAGED her to do things so he could later claim that he was hurt by her... And, well, even if he DID, maybe do that, he certainly won't do it with YOU. You're too special for that. Any time he tells you he's happy for you and he encourages you to do something, he'll REALLY mean it, with YOU.

He won't create a revisionist fantasy of your past so that he can insist you did things to hurt him as a justification for his cruelty to you. He won't secretly resent you for not devoting all your time to him. Even if he DID do that with her, he won't do it with you. Especially after he makes all those sacrifices for you. He won't secretly be dependent on YOU for all his attention. He won't be more demanding of you and your time and resent you when you don't give it all to him. Not THIS time. You're SPECIAL.

He's such a nice guy, he won't "help" you (especially unsolicited) and then have an unstated hidden agenda like he did with all the others. He's going to claim his right to be "selfish" now, because he's been so USED from all the excessive GIVING he did in the past that nobody really appreciated. The poor guy. He's never taken time to be selfish in the past - not even when he was sitting alone in his room, sucking off his hurts, or using other people. That wasn't selfish - that was just "acting out". But he's better now. Don't worry. He won't use his new-found right to be "selfish" against YOU. No. He really is a changed man, with you. With you he will give unconditionally.

It's no WONDER he behaved so badly! Look at how his wife was always hurting him, oppressing him with her refusal to live her life solely for him, expecting him to be honest with his feelings and actions, when he just wasn't ready. And besides, he just can't handle confrontation, you know? And like, she's just so SCARY when she's upset (it's just so unbecoming when women display any anger!) that he HAD to act that way. She actually raised her voice at times and threw things! Can you imagine? Nobody else is allowed to have anger and raise their voice except HIM.

Because, like, he can't DEAL with it, and he shouldn't be expected to! He couldn't possibly have been projecting HIS issues on her so that someone else could have his anger FOR him, or so that he could get angry with someone other than himself! He couldn't possibly have been DELIBERATELY hitting all her hot buttons to hurt and upset her so he could lay blame. And, well, even if he DID do that for years, he won't do it anymore, with you.

And if somehow you accidentally do things that "trigger" his old abuse patterns, he'll be so sweet in telling you how you are doing things that remind him of her, so that YOU can change YOUR behavior. After all, you wouldn't want him to start acting emotionlly abusive again because of something YOU did.

And you don't have to worry about that, because you'll never get upset with him, and you'll never challenge him to be honest or to accept responsibility for his actions. SHE did that, and it was "controlling," but it'll be different with you, because you know better. And you won't need to worry about calling him on his behavior anyway, because he'll NEVER lie to YOU. He'll always be completely honest and upfront with you.

He won't have to "forget" any promises he made to YOU. If he is inconsiderate, it won't be DELIBERATE, with you. If he lied to her or anyone else, it was because they drove him to it. If he breaks his word, it won't be his fault, someone else drove him to do it.

With you, he won't withhold information, or distort or omit the truth. He won't break fundamental relationship agreements with YOU. He won't HAVE to, because you'll be right there validating him 24/7, supporting him and telling him how he's so CLEVER and BRAVE to have escaped such a horrible relationship, and how wonderful it is that he is working so HARD to overcome his terrible past!

And it's a good thing he's not going to do any of those things he might have done in the past, because then you won't have to worry about forgiving him. You see, she REPEATEDLY forgave him for the lies and the accidentally-on-purpose "mistakes", and all that did was make him feel bad about himself - that she could forgive and he couldn't. Wasn't that AWFUL of her to make him feel so bad that way?

So she DESERVED to be punished even more. And she should NEVER have shown any guilt when he manipulated her. It just caused him to hurt her more. He told her it was "like blood in the water for sharks" for him. She should have known better. YOU know better. But then, he won't be manipulative and passive-aggressive with YOU. He'll be different with you. You're SPECIAL.

And sure he made her work at the relationship when he wasn't really trying, but that wasn't being dishonest - he just didn't know what he really wanted, so that made it OK to put the burden of the relationship responsibility on her. Sure he admitted that he wanted her to make him the first priority in HER life, but he wasn't willing to afford her the same consideration. But that wasn't one of his patterns. He won't do that with YOU. Besides, he admitted his dishonest behavior after he abandoned her, so that makes it ok. It erases everything. His slate's clean. He even said he was sorry, months later, so that shows how sincere he was. He couldn't possibly still have been interlacing the apology with blame. He's not STILL acting manipulative and projecting issues.... and well, if he is, he's only doing that with HER because of their history - he wouldn't do that with YOU.

And it's so sweet how he still talks about how much he cared for his wife, how much he did for her out of love. Sometimes, he even talks fondly of his treasured memories of her, of how she "helped" him (when she wasn't hurting him, the witch) - that must mean he's a deep, sensitive guy, right? Maybe you can even "help" him to forgive her and heal from his terrible past... Just like SHE thought she could "help" him.

And besides, he did so many NICE things for her and all those other women. That should count for SOMETHING, right? It's not like he was emotionally abusive or manipulative ALL the time. So it kind of cancels things out, right? It's not like he HIT anyone or anything. At least the things he did didn't leave any VISIBLE marks. Besides, he probably just made honest mistakes, that's all. He couldn't have actually got off on seeing them hurt and crying. He wouldn't have LAUGHED condescendingly in someone's face while she was crying. Not the man YOU are involved with. HE certainly doesn't remember doing anything like that - and HIS memory is inviolate.

He's told you how different he feels with YOU. How different he IS with you. How healing your love is. How much he NEEDS you. What a wonderful person he thinks you are. How important you are in his life. How much he values and appreciates you, and misses you when you are not together. How amazingly transformed he feels now that he has finally met someone as SPECIAL as YOU. So what if he told her the same things? He really MEANS it this time, with you. He's a changed person, (this time, for REAL) with you. You're special.

You don't need to talk to any of his ex's to find out what he was REALLY like, because the past is the past, right? You couldn't possibly learn anything from their experiences, because he's not going to be like that anymore. It couldn't possibly be that they have anything valid to say. Besides, you trust him to tell you the WHOLE TRUTH about his past (as far as he can "remember" it), right?

And he's such a sensitive, caring guy, he REALLY does wish he and his wife could be FRIENDS now. He can't understand why she would have NO desire to have any contact with him, NO desire to have anything to do with him - after all he did for her, after what they had. After all, SHE is the one who did unforgivable things. He's so uncomfortable around her now, because of how much she hurt him. He wouldn't STILL be projecting HIS issues on her, and implying that they are HER issues... After all, he's a changed man.

But you don't have to worry. He won't PUBLICLY divulge YOUR insecurities or deeply intimate things you told him in confidence to other women - he won't betray your trust - like he did with her. No matter what happens between you and him, you'll ALWAYS BE FRIENDS. You and he will always be able to work things out. So what if he said EXACTLY THE SAME THING TO HER (and all the others) too? It'll be different with you. You're special.

He won't wait a year or two before he starts in on YOU. He won't then use his knowledge of YOUR insecurities and emotional hot buttons to deliberately hurt YOU. He won't start using psychological warfare to couch his deliberately hurtful actions in social plausibility with YOU. He won't flirt with your close friends and use any attraction they might have to him, against YOU. NO. He won't tell you that you just weren't meeting his needs or living up to his expectations. He won't expect you to read his mind. He won't try to make it look like YOU are the reason he is unhappy, and YOU are the cause of your relationship problems. He won't set you up to get upset with him so that YOU are the one who breaks it off with him, (or you get so angry with him that he HAS to break it off with YOU) and HE looks like a martyr (AGAIN). So what if he made all the same promises to her? Just because he was following some of his old patterns when he got involved with you, doesn't mean he's going to follow through on the rest of them. He's CHANGED now.

You're special. Just like SHE was when he was with HER. Just like they ALL thought they were.

YOU are the one who can "fix" his wounded ego. Your relationship with him will be So Much Better than his last ones, because you're special! With you, he'll be honest and straight-forward for the first time in his life. He won't become cruel or passive-aggressive. He won't play head games anymore. He'll stop using and discarding people like old Kleenex. He won't be rude or unkind or disrespectful like he was with those other women. HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH, HE'S NOW A CHANGED MAN. (Changed for the better, of course.) Not because of therapy. Not because he's removed himself from relationships and taken some serious time to get his ****** together. Not because he's done any REAL work. Not because he's actually admitted to his real motivations, or made a single sincere change.

He just needed to find the RIGHT woman to "save" him from himself and "help" him become a better man, and that's YOU.

You just KNOW he'll be different with you. Right?

Sorry for the length!!
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 03:39 PM
Update:

Sat was a low point for me energy-wise. Sunday however, by chance I noticed that the church we've been visiting was starting a 4 day marriage seminar. What are the odds?! Despite the terrible things she shared with me, she agreed to go. It was 5 hours of classes on Sunday and 2 more hours for the next 3 days which we'll attend this week.

The seminar is run my Dr Jerry and Lynn Jones, called Marriage Matters. During last night's class called "Affair Proofing your Marriage" I could barely hold it together. They repeated many of the hurtful things that my wife has said to me in the past 10 days. "The script", regardless of knowing about it, still hurts to hear.

They did offer a first come first serve 2.5 hour counseling session. We got one! It's set up on Tuesday just after the 50 minute session I set up through my job's benefit program. It'll be a busy day for us.

By the end of Sunday I felt like I was actually communicating with my wife a little bit. Though I know better. She still won't leave work and she's there in the same building with him now. During the class they suggested you may need to leave your job and put up a huge PowerPoint slide saying something like "RUN away from the arena of an emotional affair". Don't walk, don't skip, RUN. My wife isn't running. She's turning slowly.

Her molasses slow steps away from this situation concern me, but also give me a lot of hope. Yesterday was her best day yet and she actually told me that she loves me. Something I haven't heard in a while.

Still, for all I know, after today she'll go right back to drifting away. She wrote a 2nd no contact letter to the OM yesterday. I didn't get a chance to read it until today. I'm going to post it, because I'm not sure what to think about it.

I feel I need to fully expose this situation to her boss. Haley's smart and I doubt that company resources were used for their personal communication, but if the boss knows about the EA/PA, she may be able to help or at least not schedule them for the same meetings. Or, if he really has done this before at work, it might result in him being fired; which would be fantastic.

If anyone has any comments about my exposure to her boss, let me know soon. I'm going to try and set up a private meeting with her (the boss) in a few hours.

You have all stressed exposure to everyone. I'm having a hard time with that idea. Am I right to consider not exposing this since she had a really good day yesterday (albeit 2 days ago was bad)? I think I'm concerned that it might push her away when I've just seen her make the best progress yet. Is that a valid concern?

The no contact letter, edited as needed for privacy. I'm "Bryan" in this letter:

[OM],

There's so much I want to say before I get to the main point of why I'm writing this but I guess I'll pick one thing and here it goes. I didn't give you much feedback the other day, but now I will. I think you should be a firefighter. You've been sitting on the idea for over a year now and your interest hasn't gone away. We both know how you feel about what you do at [COMPANY NAME] and you've been there 4 years so you know nothing's going to change. So stop trading your time for money and start doing something you're actually passionate about. Do something with your life that matters to you. Yes, the job may be emotionally difficult and dangerous, but I think if you don't try, you will regret it. Majorly. And yes, I recognize the irony in that last part because I knocked you for the "no regrets" philosophy in my letter earlier this week, but this is different & I'm sure you know that. Even if you find that the job's not for you, at least you will have learned something about yourself, tried something new, and freed yourself from the rut that often comes with a "comfy" job. You'll be that much closer to finding out what you want, even if it is to learn that maybe you're ok with a desk job. :-) So there's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Oh and while I'm pretty sure I would have given the same advice to you before all this, I do feel like I owe you full disclosure. Bryan has asked me to quit my job on Monday (tomorrow). While I told him I'm not prepared to do that yet, I'm considering it and entertaining a few options that oddly enough popped up this weekend. I admit at first I thought that was an extreme request and he was crazy for making it but I'm slowly beginning to understand. There is no way I can truly devote myself to trying to save my marriage and still have contact with you. Every time I talked to or emailed you, I was just undoing any good or progress that Bryan & I might have made and honestly, making this process that much more painful for myself. Seriously, I don't know if I've felt this sad before in my life on so many different levels.

Now I'm not saying if you don't leave, then I will have to. But I do have some concerns that may make it my only option. Even though we don't work in the same department, our paths cross quite a bit and I'm afraid I'll fall back on old habits. I'm clearly not as strong as you in keeping my distance. You'd become a staple in my work day that I'm having trouble doing without. Which sort of leads me to another point - as much as it is devastating me to say goodbye to you, the truth is I could never be sure that what I felt for you was for the right reasons, given the circumstances. You were fulfilling needs of mine that may have never been fulfilled in my marriage and perhaps some that I didn't even know I had. I'm not saying that is the only reason I talked to you. I believe I've meant the things I've said to you, but I also believe that I can't be sure that my attraction to you has come from a pure place and that's definitely not fair to you, because you deserve to have that reciprocated.

So all that said. I'm cutting contact ....for real this time. Of my own choice, without someone breathing down my neck about it, and not with a stuffy handwritten letter. I'm going to try to avoid you in the halls & breakroom and not send you emails unless I have to for work. Who knows.. maybe I'll get this photography opportunity that came up over the weekend and soon you won't have to deal with me or this anymore.

I hope this has been readable and sorry it became a book in length. I know you hate to read as much as I do. haha

Oh.. I did de-friend you on Facebook and I'm not positive this is your email address. Just going off memory here. So if it's not - Hello stranger. Hope you've enjoyed the window into this soap opera. :-)

Maybe if you could just reply "got it" or something when you read it. Please don't say much more than that though. Your words already haunt me enough.

And finally......

Not to sound dramatic or anything, but I do hope you have a fantastic life. And if you go the firefighting route, then good luck!

Peace,

[WIFE'S NAME]
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 03:43 PM
The no contact letter is worthless while they are working together. She will continue to have contact with him. With continued contact, recovery can never happen.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 03:55 PM
obr,

That is a MORE contact letter ~ not a "No Contact" letter.

The template from SAA is impersonal by design...the opposite of your WW's letter. The letter is begging for a response. Did she ask for your approval before sending it? I WOULD NOT send it.

BUT this is not a surprise considering you haven't exposed. You know you are enabling the A at this point, right? You need to expose it to everyone...TODAY! Especially if you feel your W is getting closer to leaving her job, it MAY push her to actually leave if she knows everyone is watching her next step.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 04:06 PM
Her molasses slow steps away from this situation concern me, but also give me a lot of hope. Yesterday was her best day yet and she actually told me that she loves me. Something I haven't heard in a while.

obr, I think that your W is manipulating you into 1) not exposing & 2) letting her continue working with OM.

Just a couple days ago you showed her this site ~ and all the sudden you are seeing changes. She agrees to work on the M, tells you she loves you and also says "maybe" she'll leave but assures you that OM really wants to be a fireman and will probably leave??

Don't fall for this. She is not serious about ending the A. She is just hoping you will back down from what you have learned here.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm contacting her boss in the next hour after their lunch is likely over.

@SusieQ and others
I gave the wrong impression somehow. My wife has NOT seen this site. I'm a software guy and have taken measures to make sure that won't happen.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 06:14 PM
Gotcha. But you did give her the impression that you had been reading online and that she HAD to leave the job in order for the M to work, right?

I really do feel she is trying to do just enough to get you to back down from that request...many WSs do this when they feel their BSs are getting fed up with the A.

Good job on the workplace exposure. Let us know how it goes!
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 06:26 PM
I did mention I had support from friends and an Internet community. I don't think I related her needing to leave her job to this forum (I've not even used that word), but I may have said that in everything I've read, I find that our situation won't heal until he's out of the picture entirely, including the workplace, facebook, phone, email, etc.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 06:35 PM
Well, I had her read a printout of the No Contact article from affaircare.com. She was quiet a while. We talked some and I explained that for us to truly work on our marriage, I'm asking her to quit her job Monday morning.
This is what I am referring to. This got her worried and she is hoping you will back down from it. She doesn't want to stop working with OM. Her NC letter was a big redflag

Don't fall for it.
Posted By: Scotland Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:05 PM
You have read all of the material and you have been advised what to do. You know your next steps. You need to expose and your WW needs to end ALL contact with her OM. I am glad that you are contacting her boss. Is that done yet?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:06 PM
Well that didn't work out. At first her boss agreed to meet. Then as I was leaving she called and said she couldn't and didn't want to get in the middle of anything. I understand her position though. Now I'm trying to gather info on how to reach HR without accidentally contacting the OM who works in HR (or any of his buddies in HR).

This is surprisingly uncomfortable. I'm not even sure what to say. Do companies even have an issue with non-sexual affairs with co-workers if they don't significantly abuse company time to get together? I know personal emails were sent, though they are well aware of IT keeping copies. My wife has even commented on that before.
Posted By: Scotland Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:09 PM
Write the letters(at least 3 of them as ML suggested) to the Pres, Vice-Pres and attorney for the company with CC at the bottom. You can send a fourth one to HR with a CC to the other 3 as well so that OM WILL find out. When you expose, OM and WW WILL find out. You DON'T want them to find out beforehand. You want to make sure that you expose NOW. Your WW and OM are probably going to find out that you talked to her boss. Start those phone calls and contact all of the family, friends, etc.
Posted By: tiaga Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:37 PM
Obr,

Stop lying to yourself and letting your wife con you into believing this is not already a full blown physical affair. Do you really believe this has not gone beyond 2 kisses? Please she is talking separation and divorce. You need to hire a PI or get a friend to see where your wife and OM go during their lunch hour. Probably a sleazy $29 hotel close to their work or some isolated alley or parking lot. Maybe even OM's own place. That is a good place to start. A single OM is the most dangerous kind of OM to your marriage because he does not have as much to loose. Work with what you have. Mess with his career notify every single friend on his facebook.

That is if you still want yor WW once you finf out the whole truth and not what she chooses to spoon feed you.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:37 PM
Yes, use the form letter given to you earlier.

Even if the workplace can't officially do anything, it will help to kill the excitement that your WW and OM feel when they see each other at work knowing that it has been reported.

Affairs THRIVE in secrecy and the best thing you can do is shine a spotlight on it.

Who else are you going to expose to? It sounds like you are on a path to a trickle exposure and that is something I fear you will regret. You really need to have a list and just go down it and try to hit everyone in a day or two. Then you let your WW know that everyone knows. That is key.
Posted By: ElunaInNC Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:45 PM
Ok someone correct me if I am wrong here but:

OM is in HR. He has reportedly kissed WW twice. That is physical contact.

Could that not constitute a sexual harassment liability for the company?

If so, run with it in your exposure letters. It will have more of an impact than just they are having an emotional affair.
Posted By: ElCamino72 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:47 PM
This NC letter is a no go. She is going to be indefinitely sending "this time is the last time" messages unless you break the A with exposure. She just doesn't have control over the power of the addicition.

She's also going to try to convince you to have closure with OM. Don't fall for that. Just use the standard MB NC letter. But I agree that an NC letter is not gonna help as much at this stage when they still work together.

The cat is out of the bag now at her company. You must move FAST with the letters and process you've been adviced here.

BTW, OM's fireman aspirations sounds really cheesy. His pants are the only thing on fire that he should be worrying about. Exposure will be the best way to put that fire out.

--ElCamino72
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:53 PM
I have two great opportunities to talk to a lot of people tomorrow afternoon or Thursday afternoon. I suspect that the counselors we are meeting with tomorrow are going to push for both her to leave her job and for us to open up about this with family; per their comments from Sunday on affairs.

There is lots going on in the next 3 days. I'll keep this thread updated as I have time.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 07:57 PM
@ElCamino72

As far as I know, only a single hug took place in the workplace. The rest was after work on their dates or after company softball games.

And yes, the fireman bit is cheesy. I felt stupid just typing it, let alone hearing it.
Posted By: disgustedandsad Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:03 PM
The details such as 2 kisses or 1 hug or full blown sex don't matter to HR. Sexual harassment in the work place can be occuring without any physical contact, welcomed or not.

Please expose them to HR and supervisors in writing.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:13 PM
Well that didn't work out. At first her boss agreed to meet. Then as I was leaving she called and said she couldn't and didn't want to get in the middle of anything. I understand her position though. Now I'm trying to gather info on how to reach HR without accidentally contacting the OM who works in HR (or any of his buddies in HR).

This is surprisingly uncomfortable. I'm not even sure what to say. Do companies even have an issue with non-sexual affairs with co-workers if they don't significantly abuse company time to get together? I know personal emails were sent, though they are well aware of IT keeping copies. My wife has even commented on that before.

obr, did you read my post about workplace exposure? It needs to be done in the way I suggested by sending a certified letter to a KEY VP with a cc to another key executuve and their supervisors. This way, no one can give into the temptation to deep six the letter. Your wife's supervisor is going to try to bury the workplace affair now. This could not have happened if a LETTER with a cc on it had gone to her boss and a key VP.

obr, we can't be of much help if you don't follow our advice. We have been doing this for years and know best practices.

Additionally, your close relatives and friends should be exposed around the same time. And I do mean KEY family members. This is not something that can be pencil whipped.

The affair needs to be exposed WITHOUT THE FOREWARNING OF YOUR WS. Forewarning her will ruin your effort.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:13 PM
MelodyLane posted this letter. Thanks btw. I'm considering using it.

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to bring a matter to your attention that may be a violation of your Company's Code of Conduct and/or other policies, procedures and business ethics.

WS and WS are involved in an extramarital affair that is taking place, primarily, in the workplace. Aside from the potential sexual harassment claims this situation presents, it also involves the inappropriate use of company resources and assets. WS and WS are using company time and company resources to further their affair. If you check the call histories on their office and cell phones along with their workstation computers, you will find the two of them are spending an inordinate amount of what should be productive work time to further their sexual relationship.

If you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxxx. Otherwise, I will anticipate a response from you once you have investigated these concerns and taken appropriate corrective action.

Regards,

BS
Posted By: tiaga Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:14 PM
Obr,

I implore you to listen to the posters and expose right NOW. Don't wait 3 days hoping your wife comes around. You have tipped your hand already. The boss already said she did not want to get involved. Don't count on her not giving a heads up to your wife. That gives your wife and OM time to spin a story about you being controlling and crazy.

Don't join the ranks of the other spinelss cuckoled BH's who have graced the board and took heaps of abuse from their WW's.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:17 PM
I have two great opportunities to talk to a lot of people tomorrow afternoon or Thursday afternoon. I suspect that the counselors we are meeting with tomorrow are going to push for both her to leave her job and for us to open up about this with family; per their comments from Sunday on affairs.
]]

obr, your wife should not be FOREWARNED about the affair. This is not about "opening up" to your family together. This is about picking up the phone and exposing the affair to your family and asking for their help. She should not know in advance. That will ruin the exposure.

Make a list of exposures and start making phone calls. It is best to get it done immediately all on the same day.

Do you have the name and contact info of the OM's parents? That is an excellent exposure.

And if any of your exposure targets say something stupid like "ok I will keep this a secret!!" Tell them nononnono!! Secrecy is what helps affairs thrive, so don't do that! Ask them to use their persuasion to influence your WS to end her adultery.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:19 PM
orb,

Don't fool yourself, they've had sex.

My advice to you:

You have no kids with this woman. There's tons in the world who have decent morals. Dump the cheater. There's nothing to save. She has cheated on you, you have no kids. Why save this mess?

Yes, I know you love her. But the question is, do you love the idea of who you think she is or do you love who she actually is?

You're young. You leave her now, there is no baggage. She can carry on with her idiocy while you move on.

Now, that being said:

Regardless of whether or not you want to save this, you must expose. Not tomorrow. Not in a few hours. Immediately.

You must call her family and tell them what you know. She'll be furious. That's expected. She'll tell you there is no chance to save things anymore.

Fine. Exposue ends the fantasy.

I would man up and have a heart to heart with this man. Get a lawyer and file an alienation of affection lawsuit against him if you're in a state that allows that.

Granted, I say that to you with the idea that you wish to save things. But trust me when I tell you that you'll forever have it in the back of your head that she cheated on you.

Again, don't fool yourself, if her feelings are as strong as she says, then she has had sex with him.

They've either done it in the office, his car, her car, a hotel, on a lunch break, but it's happened. You'd be foolish to believe it hasn't.

Trust us, we've seen your situation a million times.

Again, bottomline: No kids + short marriage + young = bail.

There are TONS of fantastic women out there. They are awesome when they're in their late twenties and early thirties. Maturity kicks in and they are real women for the most part.

Regardless of what you do, you must expose.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by tiaga
I implore you to listen to the posters and expose right NOW. Don't wait 3 days hoping your wife comes around. You have tipped your hand already. The boss already said she did not want to get involved. Don't count on her not giving a heads up to your wife.

I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough, obr! You do not have the luxury of waiting since you have already tipped your hand. If the affairees have an inkling of your plan, they will pre-empt you and spin you as a nut job. Then when you do call, the target will not listen to you.

You might to even write up a letter and take it up there yourself and hand deliver it. Or perhaps, get it in the mail TODAY and have it overnighted and sent certified. They would get it tomorrow.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:26 PM

What the company's policy is is immaterial. Send the letter. Any company that gets a letter to all the higher-ups with the words "use of company time to further their affair" and/or "potential sexual harassment" will sit up and take notice.

I'm shocked that her 'boss' doesn't want to get in the middle. She's IN the middle, by virtue of this employee relationship. I'm amazed that she doesn't see the potential ramifications to HER and her job, for being aware of this threat to her company and choosing to not involve herself.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ElunaInNC
Ok someone correct me if I am wrong here but:

OM is in HR. He has reportedly kissed WW twice. That is physical contact.

Could that not constitute a sexual harassment liability for the company?

If so, run with it in your exposure letters. It will have more of an impact than just they are having an emotional affair.

There doesn't need to be contact for a sexual harassment suit. Even saying the wrong thing to someone can leave a person liable for sexual harassment.

And here's the kicker: the suit can be brought by anyone in the workplace who feels the A has adversely affected them, job-wise. It's not just the OW.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:33 PM
MelodyLane posted this letter. Thanks btw. I'm considering using it.

You're considering using it??? crazy Why haven't you done this already??? Your WWs boss is sweeping it under the rug, just like we said would happen if you contact one person. And verbally, yet??

obr, follow the plan to kill this A! Ignore it and you could lose your M! What in the world are you waiting on? For them to come to their senses? Ain't gonna happen, friend. They're addicted to each other. Common sense went bye-bye quite a while ago.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:39 PM
I'm not having much luck gathering email addresses. I've only snooped out her boss's. Would self delivered letters to the front desk or snail mail be best? Does it matter?
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
[
I'm shocked that her 'boss' doesn't want to get in the middle. She's IN the middle, by virtue of this employee relationship.

MB, this is very often the reaction of a direct supervisor. This is WHY I always say to send the letter to a KEY VP, one other company official in addition to the supervisor. The supervisor is often protective of the employee and might throw away the letter and keep it hush hush. Sending the letter out to several ppl eliminates that possibility.

That letter was developed by Brits Brat, who is a corporate atty for a top oil and gas company in the US; she specializes in these kind of issues.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:55 PM
I'm not having much luck gathering email addresses. I've only snooped out her boss's. Would self delivered letters to the front desk or snail mail be best? Does it matter?

How about hand delivering them?
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:56 PM
Have a courier hand-deliver them and get a signed delivery receipt. That makes it more official and you have a record that they actually received your letter.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
Have a courier hand-deliver them and get a signed delivery receipt. That makes it more official and you have a record that they actually received your letter.

This is a great idea!
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 09:00 PM

Why don't you call the front desk and say "May I get the address of your Vice-President?" or President, or CEO - why haven't you just called the company?

Send the letter via registered mail, so they have to sign for it. Let them no you take this seriously enough to take the time and effort to do that. I wouldn't bother with email. Way too easy for it to 'get lost'.
Posted By: ElCamino72 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 09:06 PM
Her boss may have canceled your meeting under the advise of their legal dept if she tried to clear it beforehand. They'll try to make this situation go away. At the same time, your WS may get a tip and react to counter your efforts. This is a race against the clock. Don't wait.

Most companies will cringe at the situation of having an HR person involved in an A with an employee. This is like having the Controller steal money or the head of security trespassing. The company is at risk of a law suit. With enough pressure, the company may fire one or both of them to avoid legal costs. He is more likely to be fired being a man and having influence in the company HR policies.

Wayward do stupid things due to their addiction. I'd take it as a given that they have used company resources to conduct their A. I bet the company may find some juicy stuff if they look into their mailboxes and documents. Let them prove otherwise if they're willing to investigate. Additionally, co-workers may already suspect something is up with them so someone may snitch on them when the rumor spreads.

Listen to the excellent advice you are receiving. This is your family you are trying to save. Time is of the essence. MB is a proven methodology to fight an A but remember that R is a very narrow path. Your urgent action can make a difference.

--ElCamino72
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 09:39 PM
He is more likely to be fired being a man and having influence in the company HR policies.

I wouldn't count on this. Typically the subordinate gets the ax, or the person lowest on the hierarchy/least amount of time on the job.
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 09:49 PM
In the world of law firms, the person lowest on the totem pole isn't fired, but given a ginormous settlement to keep it all hush hush. Attorneys are VERY afraid of being sued or having their firms exposed at any kind of hanky panky. I've seen it happen several times in my career. Not sure how it goes in the corporate environment.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 09:52 PM
obr, it looks like you are online. Have you put your exposure plan in to motion yet?? Can you give us your exposure list?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 10:00 PM
I came home early so that I can get letters printed and put together. Tomorrow is the soonest this can happen now. They are shut down in 14 min for the night, probably already shut down.

I just got a question out to general info asking for office mailing addresses to the VP/CEO (nice guy, I've met him) and the VP of Human Resources. Those are my two targets. I may send one to my wife's boss as well. Not sure if that would do any good.

I'm going to have to deliver these myself and have reception inner-office them. That's by far the fastest way. She'll be home before I can do anything else and we're going to be at a marriage seminar for 2.5 hours tonight.

All this aside I'm having a hard time not developing expectations. She had a good day from about 11am Sunday until now. I feel like I'm rewarding the fog lifting with trouble. I KNOW BETTER. Just sharing the emotional side of this. It's very disorienting. I'm an honesty person and deception is rough on me. I've made a number of mistakes so far, but a solid number of good choices too. Thanks for the help. Except maybe @helpthelostdads. I'm just kidding. Hearing the ugly side is probably good for me. I maintain hope. I'm not an endless fountain of it, but I maintain it for now.

It's clich�, I know, but how could you ever put your trust and love into a marriage again? If this doesn't work out, I don't know if I'd bother trying again.
Posted By: InLikeFlynn Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 10:57 PM
I recognize the irony in that last part because I knocked you for the "no regrets" philosophy in my letter earlier this week, but this is different & I'm sure you know that. Even if you find that the job's not for you, at least you will have learned something about yourself, tried something new, and freed yourself from the rut that often comes with a "comfy" job. You'll be that much closer to finding out what you want, even if it is to learn that maybe you're ok with a desk job.

You could also read the code in this text. I think she is actually taking about herself here.

(Translated in WW speak)
Even if I find that the OM/Affair is not for me, at least I will have learned something about myself, tried a new lover, and freed myself from the rut that often comes from a "comfy" marriage. I'll be that much closer to finding out what I want, even if it is to learn that maybe I;m OK with my boring marriage.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 11:30 PM
All this aside I'm having a hard time not developing expectations. She had a good day from about 11am Sunday until now. I feel like I'm rewarding the fog lifting with trouble. I KNOW BETTER. Just sharing the emotional side of this. It's very disorienting.

I know it is scary, but her fog is not lifting ..AT ALL. That is impossible until all contact ends with her OM. I want you to keep in mind that the goal here is to save your marriage, not to avoid her wrath at all costs. Men, especially, get confused about the goal.

Secondly, it will be important to get all your exposures done TOMORROW on the same day. Don't drag this out. Get it over in one fell swoop so you have only one EXPLOSION to recover from instead of several. Get this done so you can move onto the next steps.

Call her parents, tell them about the affair and tell them you are trying to save your marriage. Ask them for their advice. <----this seems to motivate relatives and friends to invest in your cause. Ideally, they will call your wife.

If they don't call your wife, you will need to tell her yourself tomorrow night that you have exposed her to everyone.

And obr, do this right. Make this as widespread as possible in order to make it effective. A little of this and a little of that won't cut it. Go straight to the most influential people. You have one shot at this.

I am going to warn you about something and I need your promise that you will PREPARE yourself for this. You MUST PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BURST OUT LAUGHING WHEN SHE EXPLODES AT YOU FOR EXPOSING HER AFFAIR. Laughing at her is a lovebuster. She will say some real idiotic things like "I was going to work on the marriage" "now you have ruined it" "I am going to divorce you now!!" " you have ruined the OM's career!!"

You cannot laugh when she goes crazy on you. If you feel a laugh coming on, it is best to leave the room and go laugh in the bathroom.

When she attacks you, just say "I am sorry you are upset." smile Don't try to reason with her and don't allow her to bait you into a fight.

But most imporantly: DON'T LAUGH! It is a huge lovebuster.

Can you control your laughter?
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/28/10 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
In the world of law firms, the person lowest on the totem pole isn't fired, but given a ginormous settlement to keep it all hush hush. Attorneys are VERY afraid of being sued or having their firms exposed at any kind of hanky panky. I've seen it happen several times in my career. Not sure how it goes in the corporate environment.

PM, in my corporate history, they fire the person in the higher position and give the subordinate a package and/or let her stay until she quits from office politics.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/29/10 12:34 AM
Except maybe @helpthelostdads.

I would suggest that you put him on 'ignore.' He is of little help when it comes to killing and A.
Posted By: schtoop Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/29/10 12:46 PM
Huhhh?

I find Helpthelostdads one of the most straightforward and level-headed posters on here.
Posted By: Stan-ley Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/29/10 02:16 PM
You are 29 and with no kids.

I would expose and then go Plan B.

Posted By: ElunaInNC Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/29/10 05:16 PM
Orb,

How are things going today? Did you deliver the exposure letters to her work?
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 06/29/10 06:45 PM
Helllooooo Orbbbbb? How goes it?
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/01/10 02:08 AM
Thanks schtoop.

I can come off as abrasive, but it's not my intent. The greatest gift a BS can give him/herself is the realization that they certainly deserve better and that they must not tolerate one bit of their WS's behavior. Getting to that point is liberating.

It is also what ironically makes the BS more attractive.

I don't have an inconsistent philosophy:

No kids + cheating = no loss. Bail. Leave the cheater and find someone better.

Kids alter the equation.

Orb, you're a young man. This woman sounds immature. You CAN do better.

I respect your feelings and desire to save things. I'm offering the advice as a man who has been in your shoes.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/01/10 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by helpthelostdads
Thanks schtoop.

I can come off as abrasive, but it's not my intent. The greatest gift a BS can give him/herself is the realization that they certainly deserve better and that they must not tolerate one bit of their WS's behavior. Getting to that point is liberating.

It is also what ironically makes the BS more attractive.

I don't have an inconsistent philosophy:

No kids + cheating = no loss. Bail. Leave the cheater and find someone better.

Kids alter the equation.

Orb, you're a young man. This woman sounds immature. You CAN do better.

I respect your feelings and desire to save things. I'm offering the advice as a man who has been in your shoes.

Marriage + cheating = loss. That, gentlemen, is the bottom line. Kids are NOT currency in this! The loss is no worse if a BS didn't have children with their WS! This is why I say to ignore htld! Your M is NOT incumbent on having spawn! OMG, htld, chill OUT!

You didn't trade your Holy Vows depending on whether or not you would have children!

htld - you aren't in his shoes! OY VEY! doh2

schoopt, what are you THINKING??? faint
Posted By: Stan-ley Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/01/10 04:00 AM
I fully recovered my marriage and I am quite happy. However, I had been married for 30 years and had five children.

As a BH I initially wanted a divorce, but realized it is difficult to throw away 30 years. Furthermore, we had a good marriage.

I see the point of not trying to recover a marriage with no children when the BS is quite young. I understand the vows are the same, but at a young age and with no children there is ample opportunity to find happiness with someone else.

Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/01/10 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by Stan-ley
I fully recovered my marriage and I am quite happy. However, I had been married for 30 years and had five children.

As a BH I initially wanted a divorce, but realized it is difficult to throw away 30 years. Furthermore, we had a good marriage.

I see the point of not trying to recover a marriage with no children when the BS is quite young. I understand the vows are the same, but at a young age and with no children there is ample opportunity to find happiness with someone else.

Stop it, Stan-ley. The vows aren't worth more with age.
Posted By: ConfusednCali Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/01/10 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by Stan-ley

Stop it, Stan-ley. The vows aren't worth more with age.

While I can agree that vows are not worth more with age, the potential of bringing children into this already dysfunctional marriage is of paramount concern. OP is at an age where he can find a women who would be a much better mother material than his current wife. Those of us who have kids know that a marriage goes through orders of magnitude of stress when those bundles of joy are brought in. If op's wife is not faithful in the easy times, what is to say what she would do in the difficult child rearing years. My opinion is that OP should weight these future considerations and the potential harm it could inflict if he wants children and his current wife is a serial adulterer.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/07/10 03:42 AM
I'm sorry for the long delay. Therapy caught me off guard and I'm likely very depressed right now.

The Short Update
Last Tuesday morning we had a counseling session through my employee benefits program. It was an hour and went much like I'd imagined counseling would go; largely uneventful.

One and a half hours later we had a 2 hour session with Lynn from Marriage Matters. She asked, listened, and by then end told me that I'm a sex addict and my wife is probably a full-blown relationship addict. (She was incredibly kind and insightful throughout the entire session). Also that we are both from very dysfunctional families; which once she described it, was the truest thing I'd ever heard and pinpointed a lot of things I'd only partly discovered in recent years. I'm not going into that part though.

So I'm a Sex Addict
I responded immediately with a positive sounding "OK". As revealed to her, I've looked at porno. In fact, depending on my wife being in town, her willingness to help out, or if I've had a bad day I've turned to porno quiet often. It varies greatly. Probably averaging once a week or two in recent months. The primary issue being that I use that to self medicate and it will escalate. Despite the de-escalation from my early single days. I fully appreciate her analysis in this area, have stopped, and I don't believe it will be difficult to never seek porno again (unless I'm being naive).
Oh, I'm likely also be depressed, but I sort of knew that at the time.

She's a Relationship Addict
Not surprising. Since age 15, she's barely gone 2 weeks without dating someone. She gets hugely upset when our own dates don't go down like she works up in her mind. She used to get really mad if I tried to plan an evening or guy's trip without her. Co-dependency issues and so on.

The Full Update
After the session we were a little shook up from everything, including the dry drunk families conclusion. I did get a moment to ask what to do about exposure at work. She said to do what I must, but I may want to give my wife a chance to take the correct action herself. Then with a hard look, the kind that makes you feel naked, she told me, "if my wife can't get over her affair/emotions, you don't need this; and that it's not because you don't love her." That struck hard, since loving her has been so difficult and the guilt I seem to inevitably feel.

The rest of the week was spent in marriage classes by night. I took no exposure actions. By that Friday I was talking to my real wife again at times. I've been careful not to spill any sensitive info, but my emotions slip some days. She has continued to cry, mostly in the mornings, and speak of dispair. She's also more socially active than she's ever been before; with friends from work that aren't connected to the OM. I've been a part of a few activities over this 4th of July weekend.

We did talk one morning when she was crying again. She told me that she's often fantasized about me dying. <--- That was awesome to listen to. She also hit her period during this time. Otherwise it was a decent weekend.

Today
Today was the first day back at work from the 4th of July weekend. Her mood was enormously better today before work. Today after work my intuition is that something happened. She was distant, quiet, avoiding eye contact, etc. Now obviously I'm paranoid and everyday she's at work with him, possibly seeing him in the halls, or emailing him, I'm paniked a bit. Maybe I'm wrong, but tonight didn't feel right.

The other problem I'm having is caring. I've spent hours and hours reading Harley's books and am currently on the Surviving an Affair one. My love bank for her is low. Too low at times. I've found myself stop caring more and more. I think about having kids one day and then the fear of this happening again.

I don't want to walk on eggshells forever and feel like I'm constantly competing with every dog that would hit on a married woman. I'm tired and my head hurts. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor and hoping to get on antidepressants, however long that will take to work. I've started researching divorce a bit. I'm back and forth on my decision to work on this marriage.

I miss loving my wife. I enjoyed loving her. Her mood is so disorienting for me. Perhaps my own is all over the place.

Gotta run. Sorry for any typos.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/07/10 04:20 AM
How long have you been in plan A?
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/07/10 11:16 AM
I took no exposure actions.
Where to even begin? Maybe with some 2x4s?

You are a cake-eater's dream come true, which is perfect for your WW ~ bad news for you & your M. You are allowing yourself to become distracted with all types of psycobabble and therapy that does nothing...NOTHING...to address the root problem here -----> THE AFFAIR!!!!

Today
Today was the first day back at work from the 4th of July weekend. Her mood was enormously better today before work. Today after work my intuition is that something happened. She was distant, quiet, avoiding eye contact, etc. Now obviously I'm paranoid and everyday she's at work with him, possibly seeing him in the halls, or emailing him, I'm paniked a bit. Maybe I'm wrong, but tonight didn't feel right.
Do you understand that an A is an addiction? Can you reason with a crack addict who is still taking hits off the crackpipe? You are in a BS fog & Plan Confusion so even though we have been hammering this point home to you it is unclear to me if you "get" this yet. NOTHING will change until you get NC into place. How do you get NC into place you ask? EXPOSURE. Talk and therapy do not "get through" to a wayward. Exposure does.

I'm likely very depressed right now.
She told me that she's often fantasized about me dying. <--- That was awesome to listen to.
I've started researching divorce a bit. I'm back and forth on my decision to work on this marriage.
I would do the exposure and then get your Plan B lined up if she won't leave the job. BUT I don't think your WW's A is going to last long once you stop enabling her. It sounded earlier like with some pressure (by this I mean exposure!! not more seminars and therapy), she would leave the workplace.

And btw, I'm sorry, if my H told me he fantasized about me dying, I would pack his bags and tell him to go...wayward or not.
Posted By: ElunaInNC Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/07/10 01:24 PM
The Short Update

One and a half hours later we had a 2 hour session with Lynn from Marriage Matters. She asked, listened, and by then end told me that I'm a sex addict and my wife is probably a full-blown relationship addict. (She was incredibly kind and insightful throughout the entire session). Also that we are both from very dysfunctional families; which once she described it, was the truest thing I'd ever heard and pinpointed a lot of things I'd only partly discovered in recent years. I'm not going into that part though.

So I'm a Sex Addict
I responded immediately with a positive sounding "OK". As revealed to her, I've looked at porno. In fact, depending on my wife being in town, her willingness to help out, or if I've had a bad day I've turned to porno quiet often. It varies greatly. Probably averaging once a week or two in recent months. The primary issue being that I use that to self medicate and it will escalate. Despite the de-escalation from my early single days. I fully appreciate her analysis in this area, have stopped, and I don't believe it will be difficult to never seek porno again (unless I'm being naive).
Oh, I'm likely also be depressed, but I sort of knew that at the time.

She's a Relationship Addict
Not surprising. Since age 15, she's barely gone 2 weeks without dating someone. She gets hugely upset when our own dates don't go down like she works up in her mind. She used to get really mad if I tried to plan an evening or guy's trip without her. Co-dependency issues and so on.

The Full Update
After the session we were a little shook up from everything, including the dry drunk families conclusion. I did get a moment to ask what to do about exposure at work. She said to do what I must, but I may want to give my wife a chance to take the correct action herself. Then with a hard look, the kind that makes you feel naked, she told me, "if my wife can't get over her affair/emotions, you don't need this; and that it's not because you don't love her." That struck hard, since loving her has been so difficult and the guilt I seem to inevitably feel.

HUH? What is this counselor's credentials? She is saying you are both addicts, but that the A is something your wife will just "Get over"

Ok seriously! If you want a good understanding of sexual addiction read this site. Patrick Carnes is the leading author of sexual addiction information and has created this site. He even has a test of whether you are a sex addict or not. http://www.sexhelp.com/
Patrick Carnes is the author I found that helped me understand the levels of sexual addiction and what it is.

The reason I am pointing this out is because my H has a borderline addiction (they can't say yes or no for sure.) And he was way more into porn than you are currently claiming.

Even though the DRs can not give a clear yes or no, we are treating it as if he has an addiction.

Ok Threadjack over.

I am sorry but I highly disagree with the counselor about exposure. I briefly looked at MM website and they are looking to resolve conflict. That is not the issue here. To resolve the A, you need to EXPOSE IT! Playing nice is going to leave you sitting on the sidelines while WW runs off with OM! Listen to those in recovery. Expose the A. Every day she sees OM, her attraction is growing, the fog is growing.

That is why you were able to talk to "your wife" and not the alien of the weekend. OM was out of the picture during that time. The longer OM was out of the picture, the more WW became W again. And why after being back at work with him for one day, she has now withdrawn back into the WW.

YOU MUST GET OM OUT OF THE PICTURE. Expose!!!!!
Posted By: DefCon Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/07/10 07:30 PM
obr,

I agree with (almost) all the advice you have received but you don't seem willing to take it. I've been there, man! What I thought was an EA was actually physical for more than 3 years! It was only when we finally separated that I got out of my own fog (denial) and realized the truth. I'm back here after a long "vacation" but, trust me, I've been right in your shoes (but I did have kids at the time)

You don't seem to be ready to follow up on the principles presented here so I will give you another option - go straight to Plan B. I completely disagree with the notion that the lack of children means just walk away. Love is a precious and rare thing and giving up simply because there are no children involved would be sad indeed.

So here is what I would do. Pack what you need and move out. Tell your W that you love her dearly and desperately want your marriage to survive, but not at the expense of losing yourself. Tell her you need time alone to think and reflect on how you both got here and you need to get away from the situation for your own mental health. Ask that she not contact you in any way while you are gone. Be loving, but BE STRONG.

Find a place to live, be it a hotel, friend's or family, etc. but have NO CONTACT with your W. Let her experience life without you. Right now she has you and the OM and doesn't see a need to give either up. Give her a chance to miss you and what you have together. This could very well drive her into the OM's arms, but if that happens, it would have happened anyway.

Like I said, I have been in your shoes and I am a man so I may understand you a little better than the ladies here (no offence, ladies - we're just wired a little different). Get out, clear your head, work on you, be all you can be, and then make your decision about where you go from here. I won't lie - it will be tough but you can do it and you have a great support group here to help you out.

Stay Strong.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/08/10 05:46 PM
Sorry if my opinion about kids offends someone, but the vows don't say anything about tolerating adultery.

Yes, we're commanded to forgive. Orb is trying to do that. But it doesn't condemn us to live in a marriage where cheating is a constant problem.

The issues with your wife are DEEP. The fact is that she has fantasy images of what love is and doesn't have any real ideas that are grounded in reality about what love and relationships are.

She sounds like a person who needs constant, never ending attention. I was married to someone like that. It was a nightmare. You'll never meet her romantic expectations.

Is she jealous of the time you spend with family? Do your family visits boil down to you trying to entertain her since she doesn't interact well with your family?

Believe me, the best advice to take from your situation, married with no kids, is to let her go and find a mature woman after you take a hard look at yourself, your standards, and your patterns in meeting women.

Find independent ones that don't need you in any way. There is a balance. You want someone who looks forward to spending time with you, but not one who falls apart if you have plans elsewhere.

And you're not a porn addict or a sex addict. Once or twice a week hardly qualifies.
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/08/10 05:57 PM
Sorry if my opinion about kids offends someone, but the vows don't say anything about tolerating adultery.

Actually, it's the opposite for most traditional vows. Those require the two people to affirm that they will forsake all others. That means no adultery.

What the vows don't reference are children. The vows stand alone and should be upheld, regardless of the birth of a child. Children don't make vows more or less sacred.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/08/10 06:59 PM
Agreed, but someone here has violated the vows in the worst way possible.

There's no kids. Why go through the absolute he77 of recovery with someone who is immature and likely to cheat again when there is a perfectly understandable, biblically justifiable reason to divorce?

Love is not enough. There has to be something worth saving and this woman has MASSIVE issues which will lead to huge problems down the road.

No kids + adultery + young marriage = disaster.

Children shouldn't be made a part of this.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/09/10 04:11 AM
Small Update
I missed a few small to big items in my last update.

• She applied to another job doing photography full time, though competition is rough for the company she's going for.
  • She did tell, AFAIK, two other women at her office about the situation.
  • My brother managed to leak some or most of the story to my parents, which he was supposed to keep to himself.
  • I made a comment about her leaving her job again and she told me "Me leaving isn't going to make you feel as good as you think it will".

Most recently
She's been in a good mood for the most part. Though I haven't seen her since this morning. She said she was going to a friend's house to swim and chat after work. There were no plans for how long she'd be gone; I did ask. She's still out now, it's 11:00pm, and I've got to head to bed. I did call her at one point and heard another girl in the room, so I'm inclined to believe her. Still, her being gone all night bugs me. I suppose I feel like I'm putting a lot into reading, setting up counseling, etc and don't get much back.

According to "Surviving an Affair", I shouldn't expect anything. Actually, when you get down to it, the method of surviving an affair kind of sounds like, "Let someone you love trample your heart and trust to death. Hold on, expressing none of the emotions you go throw, and hope for the best. Treat your spouse like a saint during the entire thing. If it works out, try to forget about it for the next 50 or so years.".
Does it read like that for anyone else?

Other small updates

• I'm setting a time limit on this thing. I'm 3 weeks in right now with my feelings all over the board. I can go maybe 2 or 3 months. Perhaps a month for each year to make it more poetic.
  • We are going out of town together this weekend. Though she's not helped do any packing... at all.
  • I started anti-depressants and immediately stopped. The first dose made me ill. Copious amounts of Ex-lax and heavy drinking might be able to compete.
  • I was able to focus and work some this week, which is great news.
  • When asked she did tell me that she bumped into the OM in the hall at work and there was an awkward "hey" exchanged.
  • One more undeniable instance of them being together and I will use exposure, likely back to back with Plan B. For the past week, I've found nothing definite.

On Divorce
Kind of hate to bring this one up, but I looked into it and it appears to be cheap. We have no kids, no home, one car, two motorcycles, and a small amount in student loan dept. The bigger issues are both our Christian families (esp her's) being of the no-divorce-without-confirmable-sexual-intercourse variety. Her's are especially rigid in this arena. So if it comes down to it, I'll likely be burning some bridges there. I know it won't matter in the end, but they are good people that I've gotten to know. I hate the trouble this would cause our families.

Finally
I want to keep updating for other's benefits. I see the advice here and I appreciate it all. I get advice other places too. In many ways I'm in my own deep fog right now. Some answers scare me. Some moments I quit caring all together. Some moments it feels like we're moving past this. Thanks for all the comments. I read and consider everything.

The advice on exposure is very clear. I'm stuck there and not sure why. At times I try to negate the affair since it supposedly didn't involve sex. Certainly it was headed that way, but at least up to D-Day, I believe they were caught before that happened. Second, I'm having a really hard time wanting this. At times it would be easier to find more hard evidence of them meeting. A future of always wondering what she's been doing bothers me. Also, she'll have to turn around and start helping work on our marriage. Her new social life and desire to be free is troublesome.

We used to walk together often. It was wonderful.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/09/10 03:53 PM
The advice on exposure is very clear. I'm stuck there and not sure why

I think it is because you believe your WW when she says things like the below:
When asked she did tell me that she bumped into the OM in the hall at work and there was an awkward "hey" exchanged.

Why do I think this? Because you also said this:
One more undeniable instance of them being together and I will use exposure, likely back to back with Plan B.

But I am not a mind reader. The one thing I know for 100% sure is that the A is not over. You said this earlier this week:
Today was the first day back at work from the 4th of July weekend. Her mood was enormously better today before work. Today after work my intuition is that something happened. She was distant, quiet, avoiding eye contact, etc.
This was exactly...EXACTLY...how my H acted when he saw OW at work. He swore on a stack of bibles they didn't talk to each other, felt awkward, etc. Later when he went left the workplace and defogged, he admitted they had been unable to stay away from each other and that they had continued the EA at work. He thanked me for exposure and for demanding that he leave the job.

Without exposure, you are just spinning your wheels.

But I feel like I am beating a dead horse so I will back off this thread for now. Good luck!!
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/09/10 06:21 PM
If you believe her....

Sigh....

Don't believe a word she says.

What you say about her family is confirmation that exposure would kill this affair immediately. Her family would likely jump in on your behalf and put an immediate stop to this.

Would she be angry? You bet. Waywards always are. But you're the one holding your progress back by not exposing.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/12/10 04:09 AM
Update
I exposed tonight. To my parents, her sister, and her parents. Tomorrow I plan to call/email both of my sisters. That will be the entire family.

I'm not exposing at work just yet. (Though my letters are addressed and ready) Per a counselor's advice, I'm going to give her a bit more time to make the right choice. I'm interested to see how she'll react to the confrontation with her dad tomorrow. I'm hoping by exposure she'll come to her senses about her job contact with the OM.

Exposure was easier than I thought it would be. Once I was talking that is. Her mother is reeling mad at the moment. Her dad is coming up here tomorrow to intercept her after work, before she can run off with a friend to go hang out.

She knows nothing about the exposure right now. I had to fib about who I was talking with, something I hate doing. Any deception, for good or bad, is hard for me.

I'm scared about her reaction to me once she finds out after work tomorrow. More scared than I thought I'd be. If I don't update again this week, you'll know that she killed me frown

Our Weekend Vacation
We got back from a weekend trip together and things went fairly well. We were able to talk a long time in the car. She was upset that I was upset at her for not coming home until 1am on Thursday night; after I finally shared my feelings about it. She wants independence and thinks that the Rule of Protection is ridiculous. We were intimate on the trip the one night and shared more affection than we have in recent weeks. It was awkward at times. Other times, for a few fleeting moments, it was like none of this mess ever happened at all.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/12/10 02:11 PM
I hope you were kidding about her killing you.

That being said, her anger will be explosive. Expect her to be furious. She�ll spew venom at you and scream things we�ve all heard here before. Expect things like this:

How can I possibly trust you after you did this to me?
You�re only doing this to be vindictive!
I have a right to have friends!
You only want to control me!
You don�t want me to be happy!
Why didn�t you let me handle this?
I was thinking about saving things and working on our marriage, but you just ruined that!

Others can chime in with things she�ll say.

Just know that her reaction is predictable and common.

But you just took a massive step to end the affair, especially if her family is as conservative and traditional as you say.
Posted By: MrWondering Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/12/10 07:52 PM
You EXPOSED...

Congratulations for taking the first step to saving your marriage.

You mentioned earlier that your family and your wife's family would need documentable proof of sexual intercourse before they think a divorce is ever acceptable. If it ever comes to that and you are FORCED or CHOOSE to take the divorce route in your situation, you don't really have to listen to this argument. You have documented an emotional affair and you know of times they were alone together (i.e. - opportunity)....thus, sexual intercourse can and should be presumed and the BURDEN OF PROOF then reverts to your wife to PROVE that there was NOT sexual intercourse. In other words, if her family or your family for that matter ever give you gruff over divorcing without absolute proof, just tell them you've offered to consider reconciliation IF and WHEN your wife submits to and pass a polygraph examination. Don't allow them to place the burden on you.

In fact, you may NEVER get the truth from her and forever wonder about what happened and thus, may consider insisting on a polygraph exam as part of your reconciliation. You must consider this NOW as your exposure is hot and things are coming to fruition. You won't be able to recover for a year and THEN ask for/demand a polygraph. It's NOW or never...and you'll likely have her parents on your side.

Mr. W
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 12:09 AM
She came home crying. She asked how I could do something like that. That she feels betrayed. Especially after we'd been making progress this weekend. Also that it was her story to tell, not mine.

She didn't yell, which I was grateful for. She looked at me in such a harsh way. Then she left to visit a friend and said that she can't be here right now.

I didn't apologize. I did say that I love her, am doing the best I can, and did it for long-term recovery.

I don't feel so great right now.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 12:14 AM
What you did was perfect! Exposing is your best bet on saving this marriage, her reaction was WAY better towards you than what my husband got when he exposed my EA laugh

I know it doesn't feel good, but trust me, it was the right choice.

Posted By: Mark1952 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 12:37 AM
I know it doesn't feel good, but trust me, it was the right choice.
Absolutely!

If she were allowed to tell her own story, it would be that OM has nothing to do with your troubles and that she has to get away from you because you are a nut job. Then when you try to correct the lies, you prove to be controlling and a nut job.

Beating her to the punch puts pressure on the affair and lets others know what is really going on. It makes them choose sides and even those who say they won't choose sides seldom consider an affair to be right.

Good job, OBR!

Mark
Posted By: _SOL Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 12:42 AM
Weather the storm. You did the right thing here. Have faith.
Posted By: wanttosurvive Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 01:18 AM
Exposure is a good policy! I know it was hard, but you did the right thing!
Posted By: MrWondering Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 01:34 AM
Does she know you told her parents already or does she only know about a couple of other people you exposed to?

Is FIL still coming up tomorrow to meet with her after work?
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 03:57 AM
Good job, obr!

If you are getting the feeling that you want to expose to the workplace too, it's better to do it ASAP, while she is still fuming from today's exposure.

Remember the more angry she is over the exposure, the better. If she was upset because you exposed, that means it's working.

Hang in there!
Posted By: Scotland Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by SusieQ
Good job, obr!

If you are getting the feeling that you want to expose to the workplace too, it's better to do it ASAP, while she is still fuming from today's exposure.

Remember the more angry she is over the exposure, the better. If she was upset because you exposed, that means it's working.

Hang in there!
Yea, what she said.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 01:20 PM
@MrWondering
Yes, her FIL did see her. That's why she's now fuming mad at me.

She knows that I told my parents. I'm not sure if she knows that I told our siblings. She came home last night, for the second time, really upset again. This morning we didn't talk except for a short "bye".

She's mostly upset about her family knowing. They are hyper conservative and big on appearances. She felt that I was one sided, I explained that I didn't speak of her like that, but focused on our marriage issues and the affair, leaving out some upsetting details that are irrelevant to the main issue.

She said no matter what any book, psychologist, or support forum says (she hasn't seen this thread), that what I did was wrong.

I want her to know that this was the last thing I wanted to do. That it wasn't to hurt her. Apart from reading Harley's exposure comments again, I found a thread discussing exposure as helping stop repeat affairs in the future. The very idea of this happening again later in life terrifies me. If I found myself in this same situation, but worse and with children, and knew I'd ignored credible advice, I'd go crazy.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 01:26 PM
She said no matter what any book, psychologist, or support forum says (she hasn't seen this thread), that what I did was wrong.

OH BOY!! Sounds exactly what I told my husband when he exposed my A I said....

"How many people go on facebook and tell the whole world about their spouses A? HOW MANY!!!!?? NONE!!!!!!!!!!Those people on the internet that is supposedly helping, just made it WORSE for YOU! I might have ruined the marriage, but you ended it!!!"

I said this while screamed, yelled, and punched wheels....now that I think about it, I laugh!! laugh HAHAHAHA..

Trust me, exposing the A was the best decision you made!! The fog will start lifting, and the fantasy will soon die.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 03:47 PM
First of all, let her know that you have told everyone. Is there anyone else in your family that would be willing to call her or send her an email?

It's going to be hard but during your interactions w/your W, you need to be:
~ cool-headed
~ confident that you did the right thing (if you feel unsure or nervous, don't let it show)
~ DO NOT try to reason with her right now.

Be a broken record, (less is better): "I will do what I need to to save our M."

I would also let her know soon that you have a lot of hope for the M as long as she is
willing to a) leave the job and b) work on the M.

Hang in there.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 04:12 PM
The only other person willing to call is her sister, but she's been told to hold off for now by her mother.

Cool headed and no reasoning are easy enough. Confidence is tough.

@SapphireReturns How long were you mad over exposure?

I'm having a hard time feeling confident in my anxiety over her friends. I've started asking others what "girls night out" is like for them. It it common to go out several nights a week? Once per week? Is there an expectation of when a spouse would return home?

Is it common for me to have a ton of motivation to work on our marriage, but feel little is reciprocated? I don't want every single night of the week to be dedicated to reading marriage books or walks together, but I'd like maybe twice a week. I'm dying to spend time with her and would love to see her every night with enough time to go for a walk or something.

We spent the entire weekend together, which was great. Yet I see that 3 nights this week are possibly scheduled to spend time with a friend of hers. Her friend is very nice, though I know she's confessed to kissing or making out with two guys shortly after marriage; which concerns me some as I wonder how many friends share stories of infidelity. Perhaps it could start to seem common and innocent? Of course I'm a little paranoid right now and perhaps out of line. I wish we could find some decent Christian couples to hang out with.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 04:42 PM
The only other person willing to call is her sister, but she's been told to hold off for now by her mother.
No, no, no ~ have the sister call.

Yet I see that 3 nights this week are possibly scheduled to spend time with a friend of hers. Her friend is very nice, though I know she's confessed to kissing or making out with two guys shortly after marriage; which concerns me some as I wonder how many friends share stories of infidelity.
She is hanging out with this friend because she enables her wayward behavior. This "friend" is no friend of the M and is going to have to go. Are you SURE they are not meeting up with OM??? I would follow and make sure because this is a big redflag
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 04:58 PM
I have good reason to believe she is where she says she is in the last week or so. She's off eating lunch with someone right now and I don't know who. Of course, she's not talking to me anyways.

Her friend has a strange (maybe not bad or good, I don't know) marriage. They seem to do things separately most of the time. Honestly it feels like I'm competing for my wife's time and loosing. They seem to make a lot of plans together at work as the friend is always on the go and inviting her to come with her.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 05:22 PM
You hare to get into the mindset that you NC needs to be verified. If she is doing something like hanging out with a friend three nights a week while she is wayward and staying out until 1 am, I would say it is MORE LIKELY THAN NOT that she is meeting up with OM...again unless you can verify by following her or having someone follow her that this is not the case.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 05:33 PM
BTW, didn't you mention that OM has a history of affairs? Please be careful about STDs. I would consider refraining from SF or using protection.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 05:51 PM
I can track her on her phone. She knows about this and it is possible that she could spoof it without much effort, though she doesn't seem to understand how it works right now.

On another "girls night out" she did answer her phone and I heard a friend in the room. Her location was verifiable for her phone too. Also last night when she left, the phone tracks aligned with where she said she was going and I even knew she was home before she walked in afterwards.

As a software guy, I'm more than capable of creating a tracker that she won't know about.

The OM is one of those 30+ women kind of guys. The first time we hanged out with him (after I'd been introduced) he nailed a drunk woman at one of his parties. I always hated my wife's co-workers events. It's like walking into a college party and I have zero interest in that kind of environment. Funny you should mention STDs. I had a nightmare last night about having contracted something. I believe I would have to seriously hurt him for that.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 06:03 PM
@SapphireReturns How long were you mad over exposure?

I left two days after he exposed me, voluntarily, I went to my sisters in Colorado, and with in 6 hours I wanted to be home, I knew what I wanted, and I wanted my life back. I was there 10 day's because wheels was not ready for me to come home. (smart man!) I tell my husband almost every time I read a husband not willing to expose...I say "Wheels, I am sooo glad you exposed my A!!" If he didn't, we would yet be in another situation with another EA frown sadly..but true. Some take longer to forgive, but eventually we ALL forgive when you have exposed.

It it common to go out several nights a week?

NO!! Married people should NOT have friends OUTSIDE of the marriage, if so those friends ARE A THREAT TO YOUR MARRIAGE!! And she needs to find NEW friends! Friends that are yours as well...and MARRIED friends!

Is it common for me to have a ton of motivation to work on our marriage, but feel little is reciprocated? I don't want every single night of the week to be dedicated to reading marriage books or walks together, but I'd like maybe twice a week. I'm dying to spend time with her and would love to see her every night with enough time to go for a walk or something.

Wheels and I take breaks of marriage books, we told each other that we will find a "FUN" book and a marriage book to read, I think we have finished several series of books, and now starting on "hungers game" sometimes we will get on MB and read articles. So no you don't have to ALWAYS read marriage books, just make sure you are together and having fun laugh

Yet I see that 3 nights this week are possibly scheduled to spend time with a friend of hers. Her friend is very nice, though I know she's confessed to kissing or making out with two guys shortly after marriage;

Like I said these friends are a threat to you and your marriage, and she needs to find new friends if she ever wants to recover the Marriage.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 06:07 PM
You really need to read up on Anne505 thread....her husband has friends that cheat on their wife's and they will get together and hang out with their g/f's...sounds like your wife is JUST like anne's husband.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2404339&page=1

Even though you say her friends are "NICE" I am sure they are helping her and enabling her to cheat.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 07:38 PM
A couple of Qs:

What did you guys together do for RC (recreational companionship) pre-A?

Is this going out with girlfriends for fun nights out something she started doing post-A?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 08:32 PM
A couple of Qs:

What did you guys together do for RC (recreational companionship) pre-A?

We moved states three times in two years, which meant we were each other's world for the most part. We did a lot of hiking, snowshoeing, and walked together very often in the evenings. We both enjoyed a few tv shows together, which we watched all seasons. We'd also go to the gym together half the time. We did a few other things more sporadically such as go to a parade, festival, or visit Seattle.

Is this going out with girlfriends for fun nights out something she started doing post-A?

It's something that started post-affair. Six days after D-Day she started hanging out with her new friend a lot, instead of the OM. (She'd started doing more and more during the affair too, but with the OM and not this new friend)

She has been having lunch with friends 1-3 times a month before all of this started. She'd also go on a "girls night out" on rare occasions. Maybe 1-3 times during a 3 month span. The city we live in now can be fairly boring, but during the past year here we'd hang out at night together, maybe go to dinner, or watch a show together. Socially she is a completely different person right now.

Again, it's not that she's planning on being gone every night, it's just that overall individual social activity has jumped up from 1-4 times a month to roughly 4-10 times a month.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 09:21 PM
Can you try to make some RC plans with her? Dinner, dancing or any of the things you used to do with her? Or is she unwilling right now?

Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/13/10 09:32 PM
We are supposed to have a "date night" this Thursday. Something we've planned to do weekly since the marriage seminar suggested it. I have no idea if she'll go this week. As far as I know, she's still not really speaking to me and too upset from yesterday. She's so mad and with her friend enough, I wouldn't be too surprised if she went to stay with her for a night or two. I could be very wrong.

I'm game for any RC together as soon as she is.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 02:31 AM
She did come home tonight. We talked a few times and the last time for quiet a while. She is still enormously upset over the exposure and said that I "stabbed her in the back".
Otherwise it was great to be able to talk a while. Hard, but good. The exposure is an extremely touchy subject. She said she considered leaving today and that I've taken us huge steps backwards in recovery frown
All I can say is that I am doing the best I can. She feels like I did this to hurt her. It's the last thing I wanted to do though.

She also is still wanting time away from me and will be gone tomorrow night. Thursday is still scheduled as date night for us. I'm hoping we can still have it.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 02:52 PM
She's blame shifting. Just expect it. You can't educate her. Stick to your statement, "I'm doing what I need to save and protect this marriage. Exposing your affair, whether you like it or not, is a step in that direction."

Say it like a broken record. Some might disagree with the last part.

Be the rock of stability and the broken record.

If you go on dates and she starts harping on you about exposure, say, "I do not need to justify or defend the steps I take to protect our marriage. I would do it again. Want a (drink, cookie, dinner, shake, pick your snack)?"

In other words, state your case and then change the subject. Do not apologize for doing the right thing.

Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 03:36 PM
I also think it is important you let her know that the M isn't going to make it if she doesn't leave the job.

Dr H says that NC is a "demand" that a spouse is able to make.

You don't have threaten this, but definitely plant the seed that this isn't going to work for you. Ask her family to pressure her to leave the job as well.

ETA: and TRY to do this with some confidence, obr smile Waywards will use your fear against you...
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 08:18 PM
I've been a broken record. I do feel a bit of regret though. I should have exposed sooner while the pain was still fresh. Instead, we're reliving some of it that her and I had started to put behind us.

Her Job
You know what's funny about her job? She's always venting over it and has been wanting to do photography full time for years. She's finally got a decent portfolio built up, her skills have grown considerable, she does great work, and she's getting lots potential clients right now. She could easily quit and start working in an area she enjoys. She won't do it just yet.

We talked last night about her job situation again. She is stubborn about the risk of seeing her EA partner. She thinks she is over it (which I do believe she mostly is at the moment) and won't be vulnerable to him again. Stubbornness runs in her family. I'm not banking my marriage on the hope that she's the exception to the rule. Last night she mentioned something about getting a plan together for her job, for when to quit. Having her think that at all is progress.

I'm hoping we can get into more counseling soon. I'm still waiting on an appointment to be arranged. We had lunch today and were both civil smile

Family
I had to tell her parents to lay off for the weekend. They are still trying to process everything and are reaching out. Communication is good, but I'm thinking that her getting hit with this every day isn't going to be healthy. I'm shooting for Dr Harley's Rule of Time, especially this weekend. I asked her parents to not communicate with her for the weekend, because I need to try and spend positive and fun time with her. They agreed and my next goal is to get my wife to join me on Sat and Sun, for two days of not drudging up any hurt. Her family can be overbearing and their reaction to us is always something that has to ultimately be managed by me. You wouldn't believe the things that have been issues between us in the past.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 08:37 PM
I had to tell her parents to lay off for the weekend. They are still trying to process everything and are reaching out.
Nooo
Why are you shielding her from the consequences of her A??? That is the whole purpose of exposure! ags!

You need the carrot AND the stick!

Let everyone who wants to give her 2x4s do it. This is a GOOD thing.
The excuse about her not leaving the job and being stubborn?? Nooo This is typical cake-eating behavior. You need to let her know she can't have the job/OM and the M or she is going to walk all over you.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 09:33 PM
Crap. TEEF I can renege on them laying off, at least via email and phone. They (her dad and sister) are planning on a lunch on Friday with her, which I think is great. They wanted Saturday to hang out, all of us (her mother included) as a group. Do you think that's a good idea?

I just read the "Rule of Time" chapter in Surviving an Affair last night and it suggested vacation time (which isn't possible right now) or successive weekends together. My primary request was that we have the weekend undisturbed together and that they can resume communication on Monday. When we're together and she has to face them and what she did, things don't go so well for me. We wouldn't be able to go have fun together under such circumstances. Thoughts?

I could really use a vacation from all of this.
Posted By: ElunaInNC Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/14/10 09:56 PM
WH and I were able to take a vacation for a few days. MIL took DS for the week and we took off for the mountains.

We had a great time and were able to bond during that time together.

However, when we got back home, the A hit me like 5 tons of bricks.I had a harder time coming back to the realization than I did before the vacation.

The vacation did help his withdrawl though. So it was a good thing, just hard for me to come back to reality.
Posted By: lake53 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/23/10 01:12 PM
Obr3,
Please give an update. How are you doing?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/28/10 07:13 PM
Update
Shortly after my last post, I got pretty depressed: exhausted, zero energy, despondent, bored. I've only been looking forward to being at work. As of yesterday I'm on Wellbutrin (Bupropion), though it will take a while to kick in.

We've talked with her family in person. They are in a good place now with us. The problem is, for the past week, I've felt nothing when I look at my wife. No desire, no love, no interest. This has never happened to me before. I'm struggling with myself wanting to find ways to avoid going home.

Neither of us are excited about bettering the marriage. We struggle with hope. I'm not sure that I can provide what she wants. Many of the things she wants were what the OM was giving her. Ex: Picking her up when we hug. I'm a hugger when it comes to my wife, but she said me picking her up shows my love. Can I learn to do that? Sure. With each little request will I feel I'm just becoming as much of the OM as possible? Yeah. Will that bother me? Probably more than it should.

What I'm afraid of is that she wants the new relationship feeling. She's cried some recently; also worried that I can't be what she wants.

I'm still confused about how the entire marriage has sucked. I have a lot of great memories. I can remember a handful of instances in the past 3 years during which she broke down a little, crying about
Why is life so hard? Why are things always a challenge? Etc...
It always bothered me greatly. It seemed childish and as if she simply couldn't deal with the ups and downs of life. Now I'm trying to look back and see if I've been insane to depressed or confused the entire time and that life really has sucked for 3 years. So I'm getting treated for depression; medication, counseling, education. In the meantime, I feel nothing towards my wife. I've started to resent her and her ego.

She talked two days ago about how the OM was like coming out of a dark cave and reminded her of what being in the light is like. With me, it's a dark cave. Since marriage.

Her premonition or whatever about me dying is upsetting too. She's mentioned that the idea brings her relief. I can't tell if this is something normal: that she's just expressing a typical worry and the relief is simply relief from our messy situation, or if these are very unhealthy feelings about me.

Rant
It's too bad all this isn't simply about me having anger problems, work addiction, etc. To the best of my ability I've cut all addictions I know of. I'm bored to no end because I don't know what I'm supposed to do if everything can be an addiction: tv, exercise, working, video games, drinking, eating. She does not want me bothering her all of the time. Depression has me at the moment, which is bad for us. So at least I can work on that. Does anyone ever come on this forum that simply can't deal with the memory of an EA? I found a stack of print-offs at work of her and the OM talking. As I read them I started shaking all over, not with anger, just shaking. I can't stop thinking about it some days. Nor can I stop thinking about the OM and him coming at her like this. That my wife latched onto him and the terrible friends he has. All alcoholics and all knowing something was going on. Right under my nose some days. People aren't right.

I hate looking at the future and seeing myself each day competing with any men in her life, constantly trying to figure out how to make her feel loved. Flowers, hugs, kisses, emails, love notes, financial support, "I love you"'s, dinners, trips weren't enough.

This Wellbutrin can't kick in soon enough.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/28/10 07:27 PM
I was married once to a woman like your wife. I was miserable since I could never make her happy. I was never romantic enough, etc.

Well, I'm now married to someone who loves me for me. What I'm trying to tell you is that you can continue to castrate yourself about your WW and it won't make you happy.

A woman like her is an emotional black hole. You will never be able to fill her needs and you will constantly disappoint her. The hole is within herself. No man will ever fill that void since she's caught up in fantasy images of romantic love. Reality isn't like that. Real love isn't a sentence of never ending work. It doesn't feel like work when it is real and it is mutual when it is real.

Chew on that. What you're feeling is totally normal for someone cheated on. Odds are that it is YOU who will feel more and more anger as time goes on.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/28/10 09:42 PM
The problem is, for the past week, I've felt nothing when I look at my wife. No desire, no love, no interest. This has never happened to me before. I'm struggling with myself wanting to find ways to avoid going home.

obr, you need to move to Plan B. Do you want help doing this? Hang in there.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/28/10 11:11 PM
Plan B is a part of ending an affair. At this point, at least for the past two or three weeks, she's been "normal". She's even continued, slowly, reading. The big problem, as far as I can tell, is that everything about me is wrong.

I'm not romantic enough, I don't hug right, I joke too much, I'm too serious, I'm not expressive enough with my emotions, I'm not attractive, I'm not social enough / don't have enough friends, our honeymoon wasn't good, our trips are boring, I'm not present enough during sex, I touch her too much, I touch her too little, I don't clean well enough, etc.

I do provide for us, enough that she wouldn't have to work. Her income has been nice though. I'm great about washing dishes, have cooked often, washed clothes, etc.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/29/10 01:26 PM
I'm not romantic enough, I don't hug right, I joke too much, I'm too serious, I'm not expressive enough with my emotions, I'm not attractive, I'm not social enough / don't have enough friends, our honeymoon wasn't good, our trips are boring, I'm not present enough during sex, I touch her too much, I touch her too little, I don't clean well enough, etc.

Gosh, I'd love nothing more than to live like this for the rest of my life. MrRollieEyes

I dated women like this. The last one that was like this wanted to change how I dressed, talked, walked, carried myself, felt about certain issues, etc.

My ex w said that I acted older than my age, didn�t want to go clubbing, and wasn�t romantic enough.

I am thrilled that my ex left and freed me from the life sentence I was facing. I met the woman that wanted to change me after my D and I�m very happy I dumped her.

I have since met a woman that likes me for exactly who I am. She doesn�t think I�m not romantic. She doesn�t think that I don�t do enough. She doesn�t complain about how I dress (other than my tube socks with shorts) &#61514;.

But she loves me for me. She doesn�t want to change anything about me. THAT is what you want. Otherwise, why is she with you if you supposedly suck so much.

AGAIN: You will never be able to satisfy this woman. The emotional hole in her is a black hole that can never be filled.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/29/10 03:41 PM
Plan B is a part of ending an affair. At this point, at least for the past two or three weeks, she's been "normal". She's even continued, slowly, reading. The big problem, as far as I can tell, is that everything about me is wrong.
Plan B is also used when your LB$ is running out. Plan B is also about preserving your mental health. Plan B also allows the BS a chance to move the focus from marital recovery (because it isn't working) to personal recovery.

Your WW is still in her affair if she is working with OM...and that's why everything is "wrong" with you. This is classic gaslighting, turning everything around on you so that the problems in the M have nothing to do with the affair. That's completely normal and expected. Don't fall for it.

Your W is the one who has to change. It will be impossible to rebuild romantic love with the OM in the picture. Please understand this. Move to Plan B and stop taking this abuse.
Posted By: lake53 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/29/10 11:04 PM

I do provide for us, enough that she wouldn't have to work. Her income has been nice though. I'm great about washing dishes, have cooked often, washed clothes, etc.

What do you mean "she is normal?" Has she quit her job yet? If she has not quit her job, the affair is ongoing. Driving into the job site parking lot is "contact" for her as she is still perceiving him as her knight in shining armor. You need to expose this affair to HR and expose it to others who could help you save your marriage.

Trying to win her back by becoming a clone of her affair partner is not part of a marriage builders plan. She is still heavy into her affair fog. You cannot save your marriage while she is in this state. Expose.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/30/10 12:27 AM
I hope you will listen to Lake, obr!

T/J
How have you been, Lake? You were a great help to me when I first got here. I was wondering what happened to you!
Posted By: lake53 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 07/30/10 12:46 PM
I hope you will listen to Lake, obr!

T/J
How have you been, Lake? You were a great help to me when I first got here. I was wondering what happened to you!

I am ok SQ,
Enjoying the summer and looking forward to the next seasons. Bad case of poison ivy at the moment! Glad I helped you and good to see that you are still here helping out.

Posted By: optimism Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 08/03/10 01:28 AM
OBR,
(it's Opt - remember me from the "poll" post?)
I checked out only the first 2 pages and the last 2 pages of your thread. I expect you've taken a beating or two for the last month, at home and on the board. I really feel for you, man. I'm not going to offer too much advice, since I don't know the advice you've already been offered. It does seem you're stuck in a rut, perhaps somewhat paralyzed. I know the feeling. I went back to read my original thread the other day and realized that I hadn't even registered until my stbxw's EA was at least 6 months strong. I tried various things on my own (and actually started reading MB in July) but never got into the boards (where you get real time practical advice from people who have lived the nightmare and followed all the different roads) until late October! I don't think I even considered my ww's EA as an affair until July/August. (of course she apparently still doesn't, but that's her issue now).

Anyway, as for going around in circles, I just want you to know you're not alone. There's nothing more painful than a spouse's infidelity. It hurts on so many levels, you discover new uncharted emotions, most of them bad. It's like living with someone who's insane and nobody believes you. I bet there's a Twilight Zone episode like that, if there isn't there should have been.

You're only a month into this. It looks like you have no kids with this woman, therefore I'm sure someone along the line has suggested you just hang it up. That's your decision. Just remember if you decide to stick it out, the path back is very narrow. Very narrow and the folks here don't mess around - they are telling you exactly what to do to save your marriage if you choose to do so. I would like to point out that however much chaos it seems taking their advice might cause (with Plan B's and exposures at work, etc.) virtually all other roads lead to the chaos of divorce, so pick your poison my friend.

Whatever you choose, I hope you'll stay committed to MB and the principles you find here. They are real. Applied correctly they will make for a better OBR. An OBR that someday has the marriage you dream of. I'm 41. I wouldn't change anything that happened until I was 33 because that's when I was blessed with my beautiful angel daughter, now 8. But I sure wish I had discovered MB soon after she was born; I might have saved myself and my kids a lot of pain.

As I've said, you remind me of me, OBR. But you have a 12 year head start. I wish you well.

~optimism~
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 08/04/10 06:37 PM
Bumping for OBR
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 06:52 PM
I don't want to talk about this but do want to log the account of how this plays out. Maybe it will be useful to someone one day.

Short Update
I don't know what I'm saving. I'm back of forth between divorce and saving this marriage. When I say back and forth, I mean it. I can literally change my mind several times a minute. She's shut down again recently, we don't touch, but we are talking at times.

Full Update
I'm not sure what I'm trying to save when my wife tells me that before walking in the door from work, she imagines with some hope, that I've killed myself. Now try to think of that as a simple, completely honest thought. She's suffering and in that scenario she is freed from marriage without taking any action. Makes sense I suppose. Still, that's jacked up and I'm having a hard time motivating myself to be with someone that may or may not want me dead. That said, we've had a few good moments several weeks ago and I don't think she's planning on killing me.

This weekend we took a trip and met up with some of her friends. We went to a concert, which is fine, but I don't go often. It lasted until 3:30am, during which at 2am I went to the car to sleep while she stayed to dance after the band had left.

Two nights later five of us went to a dance club, not something I'd opted for, being the boring 29 year old I am, but the group was going and I didn't get a vote. I did the dance floor thing for a short while, then, due to very painfully loud music, retreated to a far corner of the building to save my hearing. (Later in the trip she commented on it sounding like being in a bubble.) A bit after 2am she plopped down nearby, yelled that they were going to dance a bit longer then go do karaoke. I left with the car to find a bathroom that didn't have vomit in it. While I was gone they left at 3:15am to return to the hotel, couldn't find me and the car, so she ran 2 miles back with another guy to the hotel. The other friends called me, I picked them up, and that was that.

During the weekend, touching, kissing, etc was stressed and limited. When attempting for hugs she'd subtly resist and her attention was near 100% on everyone else. Us aside, I enjoyed the rest of the trip less the two very late nights.

Anyways, at this point I'm not sure what I'm working to save. She's already proven that she'll consciously see someone else, she hates that I don't enjoy bars, dance clubs, being out late. She hates that I expect her to give me a shadow of an idea about when she'll be home at night or that I expect her home at a reasonable hour for a weekday or weekend. The intimacy between us has rarely been enjoyable. I'm starting to see myself as a rebound guy from her previous longterm boyfriend years ago. She's cold to lukewarm affection-wise, doesn't want to discuss any of what's happened, and blames me for most of it. She might be right about me, but I'm starting to see other people that dwarf me in areas she complains about.

She's shown me little respect throughout the past 3 months. Six days after D-Day she goes out to a wine tasting, then dinner, and comes home hours late. Then I find out she's broken no-contact. Since then she's come home between 10pm - 2am a handful of times, often on weekdays. A few of those times, she's been completely out of communication. Three weeks back she went to a dinner and movie after work with a girlfriend. Fine, no problem on my end. While she's out I see she spent a ton of money at a few restaurants, odd, but her call on that. Movie ends at 9:30pm, I'm at home sick, I'm wondering where she is. I call, I text, two hours go by. I ride my motorcycle to the open air mall and wonder around for an hour going into whatever businesses haven't locked their doors already. Finally I see her walking with her friend towards me. It was a great relief that she was with her friend. After the movie they'd gotten some more drinks and food and talked for a few hours. When I asked her why she didn't call, she said she didn't know it was late. Then was upset that I'm asking her to give up everything by wanting her to call me when she's going to stay out a few extra hours or not see me until morning.

The confusing part
We visited, finally, my family. I wanted them to have their questions answered too. After that we've talked and she says she wants to try to save the marriage, but little that goes on says that. She's too tired, stressed, and feeling guilty to talk about it. Then we retreat into computers, movies, and cooking, or she has a friend over, or she goes out and I go to bed wondering what's really going on.

In the meantime I'm on my 4th book trying to work on us and myself, on anti-depressants, have quit leaving at night for anything, and get to be sexually frustrated to boot. Oh, and she "can't take this anymore". The "this" being my distress and hurt over our marriage. She's too sick of this to read any more marriage books; but did finally pick one up a few nights ago to my shock and surprise. We'll see how that turns out.

Spiritually
Dance clubs and some bars seem they might be over the line spiritually speaking. I'm a screwed up person, I know this, but I have limits. I avoid drunkenness, for both personal and spiritual reasons. The scenes we're at and people we're with sometimes make me question whether I should be there at all. My wife will be there with or without me. Not sure what to think about that. I was rougher in my early twenties, but am not interested in being around alcoholics or out late at night anymore. That fact about myself drives my wife nuts.

I hope nobody read this far, unless this helps somehow. Keep in mind that I discuss the meat of the situation. She's not out every night partying. Not even close. Yet, her social life has changed 8000% in the past 4 or so months. She's selfish, egotistical, and humility does not come easy for her. Many actions she takes screams "I want to be single", her words are otherwise. At this point, I'm holding divorce in one hand and a life of trying to be with someone that imagines me dying and has possibly never really felt love for me in the other.

I no longer believe in love. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Side note
What's this business about cheating spouses being sorry about the affair? Does that really happen? Plus I read about cheating spouses that agree to report in on their whereabouts at all times and come home at night when expected. Does that actually happen?!

Further side note
I'm burnt out and have little time left before I make a drastic decision perhaps later this month. I've considered giving it my all for the entire month of Sept, which should be a bit easy because I travel for a week. If she can't come around by then or mature a little, something has to give.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 07:28 PM
Plan B, obr. Please look at Plan B...
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 07:33 PM
Oh, and in case it's not obvious to you, the A is still ongoing with coworker OM and things aren't going to improve until she leaves...so make that a minimum requirement in your Plan B letter.
Posted By: helpthelostdads Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 07:51 PM
Orb,

It�s time for Plan B. You need to protect yourself emotionally and get away from the madness. Plan B is not divorce. Plan B is shelter for you so you can think straight.

Personally, I think you should D, since you have no children. I went through this exact same thing with my ex. It�s a phase she�s going through while trying to relive some lost childhood she thinks she�s missed out on. I was told I was �too old for my age.�

Well, at that point we had 3 kids and I had a career and had no desire to go to clubs and bars to dance. Made me boring, I guess, in her eyes.

Seriously, Orb, there are wonderful women out there in their 30s who are way past all that garbage. But go to Plan B, and then decide for yourself.
Posted By: schtoop Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 07:52 PM
Many actions she takes screams "I want to be single", her words are otherwise.

I think you are getting to the heart of the matter here. I believe that some WW (my x-wife in her mid-life crisis being one) are addicted and in the fog of wanting to live the single life, not necessarily being infatuated with any particular OM. You've been to these bars and clubs she frequents, you know the kind of attention women get there.

It's a rush for our variety of WW to get all this attention lavished on them by strange men, especially when they've been in a rut of complacency and unmet EN's at home. It makes them feel special, alive again. It starts with the WW just enjoying the attention and the flirting, but that's a dangerous game that invariably leads to one of these men really connecting and a full-blown affair.

In your case (and I think it was the case in my situation), the fantasy wasn't live happily ever after with the OM, it's to live the single life again.

I'll let some of the vets ponder on this variety of WW and see if there's a slightly different twist on how to deal with it when it's not any one OM you're fighting against.
Posted By: Tom2010 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/01/10 11:11 PM
Hi obr3.

I will say this as kindly as I can to you. I cannot understand why you made your last post. To me it seems that you intended to document the demise of a M. In a way that seems insulting to the many here and many out there who do value and attempt to recover their marriages and, as a result, is not going to be of any value to anyone desiring reconciliation. Your futile attempt to elicit responses to a "night out" survey seems to verify this.

At this point, I would suggest that you use all the resources available to you to become emotionally stable before you attempt to address your W or try to address your M. Please make an attempt one final time to listen to the experienced veterans here.

I wish you good luck, good health and prayers, but you need to get straight.

Tom

Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/12/10 05:08 PM
You were all correct about everything. Thank you for trying to help. In the end, I'm a child, and it simply didn't matter what advice I received. I'm sorry.

For the curious
It's continued going on. She's refused to leave her job. She's had unprotected sex with him. Work exposure could have helped, though we very likely would have to had moved out of town quickly to break this off. She scoffed and ridiculed me badly when I'd ask her questions or question her faithfulness.

I've continued studying myself and reading. I believe now that my largest issue is habitual conflict avoidance. From what I can tell, it's responsible for most of our marital problems. With a problem like I have, I shouldn't expect less than an affair.

I've dumped everything on family and I mean everything. I have no more skeletons. My wife is acting sincerely remorseful for the first time since this began. She's pleading with me to stay and work on the marriage and currently driving to see my parents, whatever that's for.

She's been a closed box for weeks. I've been nice. At some point around a week ago I stopped thinking about it. We went to dinner, I laid out my intentions to work on my problems, go to counseling with her starting in two weeks, apologized for doubting her, that I love her, and I finally forgive her for everything.

She was quiet and upset. The next morning she sat down and told me that she didn't deserve forgiveness and then told me why. I said thanks for telling me, took my gun, and left. I took the weapon for her sake, though I doubt she would hurt herself. I drove to the guy's house and tore his brand new jeep to pieces with a tire iron, cutting my hand pretty badly in the process. Say what you will, I felt a lot better after that. Despite the fact that I'll probably end up paying for it unless he values his job and reputation, of which I'm poised and ready to destroy if he comes after me for that.

I'm on a business trip for a week now, which is good timing. It'll be nice to be away. My only demands were that she doesn't let him into our apartment, but other than that do whatever she wants and have a plan to stay somewhere else when I get back.

That's it. For anyone in my situation, but at an earlier point, listen to the people here and if your spouse is acting like mine, I suppose you need to immediately quit your job and move a few states away.

Posted By: InLikeFlynn Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/12/10 05:29 PM
Lose the tire iron!!! I am sure he will call the cops and you will be at the top of the list of suspects.
Posted By: imagine Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/12/10 06:48 PM
When and where was the PA?

Why is she suddenly remorseful? Is she pregnant? Has he dumped her?

Why does she suddenly want you now? Are you a shoulder to cry on?
Can you go back to her at this time or are you still undecided?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 06:06 AM
@imagine

A week ago at a friend's house. Best I can tell she's remorseful because her family pushed her hard to "try and save this marriage" along with lots of religious scare tactics. I don't know if she's pregnant, but I doubt it. I'm sure he'd be happy to screw her a few more times.

She's still "trying to fix things". Quitting her job tomorrow supposedly. I SMSed her and told her to keep her job, she'll need the income.

Right now, I can't think about her without picturing them together and all of the disgusting details. Why would any sane person want to stay? She doesn't love me. Love is not the reason she's trying to "save things" now. She's trying to right herself and save a little face with her family I imagine.

I'd rather kill myself at this point than "go back to her".
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 11:18 AM
@imagine

A week ago at a friend's house. Best I can tell she's remorseful because her family pushed her hard to "try and save this marriage" along with lots of religious scare tactics. I don't know if she's pregnant, but I doubt it. I'm sure he'd be happy to screw her a few more times.

She's still "trying to fix things". Quitting her job tomorrow supposedly. I SMSed her and told her to keep her job, she'll need the income.

Right now, I can't think about her without picturing them together and all of the disgusting details. Why would any sane person want to stay? She doesn't love me. Love is not the reason she's trying to "save things" now. She's trying to right herself and save a little face with her family I imagine.

I'd rather kill myself at this point than "go back to her".

obr, remind me again: Why did you not expose this A at their jobs months ago, when you first got here and we told you what to do?
I ask because your thread is going to be a good reference for new posters who don't get the exposure concept. They need to see the outcome when someone refuses to expose a work A.
Posted By: SapphireReturns Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 01:36 PM

You told her not to quite?? You just made the biggest mistake of your life for saying this.

Good luck.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 01:43 PM
obr - remind me - do you have children?
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 04:16 PM
Sorry obr but also glad that you found out the truth.

You may feel differently once a little time passes. On my 1st day I was D-O-N-E...but just recognize that your LB$ is very low because you have been dealing with an active wayward and spinning your wheels for the last couple of months. If she tries to meet your ENs and shows remorse, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you feel differently. PLEASE follow Harleys rules for recovery to the letter if you decide to R!

One other thing, I DO NOT believe her at all that this only happened one time. I do not say this to hurt you ~ just want you to be aware and go for STD testing.

Hang in there!!
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 08:20 PM
@maritalbliss
Because I'm a child, conflict avoider, wanted her to make the choice and not be forced, ... take your pick.

@Vibrissa
No. No children, no house, one car.

@SusieQ
Thanks. We're done. God help him if I caught something. He will die for that. I'm getting checked next week.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 08:28 PM
Obr - I understand you are upset. Understandably so.

Please try to restrain yourself. This man is not worth winding up in prison for. You've already lost control once with the car. Don't ruin your life by ending someone else's. Don't even jest about it.

I'd suggest you look into some therapy or anger management to help you get through this terrible time, perhaps some medication would help.

I know this is rough.

As there are no children and you are young - maybe moving on IS what is best for you. Reconciliation IS possible, but you have every right to say it isn't for you.

I'd just hate to see you ruin your life for your wife's stupid mistake.

Take care of yourself.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 08:59 PM
@Vibrissa

I'm on medication. I've got a week to calm down. I won't hurt him, but emotionally, every fiber of my being is screaming it. God only knows how many marriages he's broken up so far.

Yeah, ruin my life. I've got a lot to look forward to right? Divorced, nearly 30, dating women that mostly have children, nearly all of the decent ones already married, the rest dog ugly, fat, or generally unpleasant. Not that I don't like kids, but I've never been sure that I ever want to make that step, let alone right off the bat. I suck so hard at dating too. The only place anyone my age and single hangs out at is bars... Jesus Christ.

The pain I feel now won't completely die. I have death to look forwards to, that's about it. I'll wait it out, until God takes me.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 09:10 PM
obr,

You are scaring me. Are you OK? Are you feeling suicidal? If so, please call your DR immediately
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/13/10 09:52 PM
I'm not suicidal. Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt myself. I only meant that the only thing I look forward to is death.
Posted By: Iamdown2010 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/14/10 08:20 PM
Hello Obr.. You doing OK today? I am going through the exact thing your going through right now. Life sucks really bad right now but we need to hang in there.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/14/10 09:40 PM
I'm doing better. Tylenol PM put me to sleep last night. I was pretty exhausted yesterday and sent a really sarcastic/angry email to all of my wife's friends that supported her during the affair. I shouldn't be allowed near computers when I'm tired.

My wife is still acting all turned around right now. Lots of "I'll pray for you" and "turn to God" business. One week out from sleeping with a dirtbag. I hope the best for her and that she does turn things around, but right now I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a ploy to fool everyone and let her continue her other life.

I'm not cut out for this mess. Sorry to hear you're in the same boat lamdown2010 :-(
Posted By: Iamdown2010 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/15/10 03:54 PM
It does seem like your WW is living another life. My WW is doing the same thing. It hurt me so much when I found out she slept with an ex-con, drug addict, bisexual, alcoholic POS!! I still have hope that she will snap out of her fantasy. I also have hope that your WW will get off her "Girls Gone Wild" crap and come back to reality.

Obr, when you get back home, keep that gun away from you. I gave mine to my dad when this all first started happening with me and my WW. Emotions run high and it is a real rollercoaster ride. I am not a violent or stupid person just like I'm sure you're not. We still need to take precautions though. Having a gun around can lead to bad things if emotions take over.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/17/10 02:41 AM
@lamdown2010

Man, that's awful. I'm sorry :-(

I gave my brother my gun. Knew it was bad to have around. I wasn't really worried about me using it.

I'm actually about to skip town for a while if I can get things together. I fly home tomorrow, will try to lay low for a week, then bolt. I'm actually getting quiet excited at the prospect. Bought $1,000 worth of gear to for my motorcycle, got a packing list together. I'm going to take something from the OM on my way out too. Completely legal too :-)

A friend said it won't make me feel any better, but I think he underestimates me. I want to do something that will make him think twice the next time he targets a married woman. Something he definitely won't forget. His world needs a little shaking.
Posted By: Iamdown2010 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/18/10 01:21 PM
What are you going to do to shake up his world? I really want to know so I can get some ideas. This guy has done this before and he is now breaking up my 20 yr marriage with 3 kids. He is a certifiable POS.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/29/10 06:32 PM
@lamdown2010
Well, I was going to send a letter to several key persons at his company. Then post flyers on all the employee vehicles exposing him for what he is. Amazingly enough, he bragged to so many people about sleeping with my wife that the department heads found out and fired him.

I've tediously constructed a list of every family that shares his last name within 300 miles. I'm going to be sending a letter to each of them, again exposing him and warning them that he may come after their wives.

I'm going to put roadside signs up at his home and every 1/8th of a mile from his home leading to the main highway.

He has a website now that is the first result when searching for his name and the city we're in. All true and free from anything that would nail me with slander and libel.

------------

On a separate note, my wife is still acting like she wants to work on us. I can't make heads or tails of the situation. At this point I'd be more surprised to find out that she's not lying to me about something. She's moving 2 hours away and looking for a new job. In the meantime she's been living at her sister's home.

She's either completely nuts, still lying, or honestly sorry right now. I have no idea which. I've been on a bit of a self-destructive course at times. Not being able to sleep without aid hasn't helped. She claims that she's going to prove that she's trustworthy again. I've been telling people that she won't make it more than a few weeks before she reverts back to the affair and/or lifestyle she'd fallen into.

I've not filed. Planning on waiting until I'm settled and sleeping again. I wonder at times if reconciliation is possible. For now, I don't want that. From what Harley says, she could never live in the same city as this guy without running back to him. How jacked up is that?

The thought of them together is sickening. I hate that man on a level I didn't know I could reach.
Posted By: imagine Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 09/30/10 11:11 PM
If the dirt bag spread his deed over the country, no wonder your wife is embarrassed.

He performed the exposure for you.

What does your wife want from you. Does her social life continue?
Posted By: Tom2010 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/04/10 09:52 PM
Hello obr3,

Well, you do what you want, but you seem to be ignoring any of the good and reasonable advice here, and keep coming back with your retaliatory measures. I can understand your feelings of wanting to turn this guy on his head. However, your mission at this time is not to save the world from this guy, but to work on yourself and attempt to save your M. You seem to be more interested in punishing this OM, rather than improving yourself and guiding your WW back to your M. Keying cars, posting signs, sending a mass mailing to probably hundreds of people who don't know the OM or your WW, or could care less, won't accomplish anything except land you in jail! Bolting from your home and your WW after you attempt to do these things will only show her that she IS entitled to a more secure and more rational partner.

Right now you need to back off, read and listen to the people here, and realize that destroying a rattlesnake with a bazooka is not a good idea.

Good luck.
Tom
Posted By: IHadEnough Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tom2010
Hello obr3,

Well, you do what you want, but you seem to be ignoring any of the good and reasonable advice here, and keep coming back with your retaliatory measures. I can understand your feelings of wanting to turn this guy on his head. However, your mission at this time is not to save the world from this guy, but to work on yourself and attempt to save your M. You seem to be more interested in punishing this OM, rather than improving yourself and guiding your WW back to your M. Keying cars, posting signs, sending a mass mailing to probably hundreds of people who don't know the OM or your WW, or could care less, won't accomplish anything except land you in jail! Bolting from your home and your WW after you attempt to do these things will only show her that she IS entitled to a more secure and more rational partner.

Right now you need to back off, read and listen to the people here, and realize that destroying a rattlesnake with a bazooka is not a good idea.

Good luck.
Tom

Actually what is happening right now is exactly what happened in my marriage.

It is amazing how cold a WW is in a marriage when her husband is sitting back and taking the abuse. When you think about it in her mind why shouldn't she sleep with the OM? She probably thought my H loves me so much he will take me back no matter what.

My XW did the same thing. She was entitled to sleep with the OM but she lied about everything. Her attitude changed when I gave her plan FU just as obr3 WW attitude has changed.

When a woman is having an affair and she thinks she has a fall back guy "H" waiting no matter what well lets just say she has no incentive to not cheat.

Of course I just don't think a man should take back a wife that sleeps with another man. I think men should protect themselves. There are too many bad things that can happen although in this case there are no children to worry about and assets.

Obr3 I know how this hurts. When I found out my wife slept with the dirt bag it was the worst day of my life. Start living your life again.

My XW was cold and lied when I caught her because she knew if she slept with the guy I was divorcing her. She did not know I had video of them in my bedroom and until I showed her that she still lied. When I moved on filed for divorce she begged me to take her back. That woman never begged me for anything in 20 years of marriage. At least in your case you found out earlier.

I am so sorry for what has happened. Gosh this sucks.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 06:56 PM
I've calmed down some at this point. My wife and I have spoken quiet a bit. She's still saying she wants to stay in the marriage, but is scared because our problems may continue.

She's moving two hours away today and has a job interview tomorrow. I don't know what I want beyond doing the Hokey Pokey on the OM's grave one day. I sincerely miss my wife from before all this mess, but much like IHadEnough, am jadded by being the fall back guy while she went out to get what she wanted despite our marriage or my imperfect efforts. Now she comes at me with this born-again sounding attitude.

I nearly slept with someone a couple of weeks ago just out of spite or self-hatred or revenge; I'm not sure which. Like I said, I've calmed down since then and am taking precautions to keep anything like that from happening again until this marriage is resolved.

At any rate, she sounds like the wife I used to know. She's been screened for some STDs and is waiting to hear back on others. She's doing an accountability log. She's cut off contact with friends that I thought were destructive. She finally read the Surviving an Affair book that she'd refused to pick up before. She's doing all of the stuff that she should have done months ago when I first found out.

The past week has felt transitional for me. I'm in a gray area and have agreed to counseling. The counseling I hope will in the least expose the source of our problems so that together or separate, we can avoid them in the future. Though she's now living 2 hours away, so I'm debating the MB telephone counseling.

When the bottom fell out completely and I discovered that the recovery was a sham, I planned entirely on filing. A long business trip delayed my actions. Now I only want to make the right choice. I'm scared of both paths. If she's finally snapped out of it and we can prevent this from ever happening again, I'd forever regret not trying. If we reconcile and it happens again, I'm going to go 100% mental, divorce asap, and likely develop a crippling trust issue for the rest of my life. God help us if kids are involved at that point.

Everyone everywhere now knows what happened, we're separated, I've recently come back into control of my emotions, I know I failed to heed some of the MB advice I received early on, and I don't know what to do. Friends and family don't know what to say. In an attempt to clear my head further, I'm trying to arrange a lengthy working vacation in which I can motorcycle around the southern states for a while and work remotely a few days a week. Otherwise, I'm just existing and trying to get help on conflict avoidance.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 07:24 PM
What do you want? In an ideal world where anything is possible, what is it you want?

If it is a happy marriage with the woman you once loved, Marriage Builders can give you that.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 07:40 PM
so I'm debating the MB telephone counseling.

I really hope you will make that call.

Most other counseling has the potential of being very damaging and wasting your time & $$.

We have coached with Jen and Steve and also talked to Dr H (on his radio show) and each time they have given ME (?maybe considered the reluctant one?) hope...while at the same time steering my H in the right direction. Things have progressively gotten better over the last 3 years and I am glad I stuck w/it, so I can't recommend the Harleys enough.

I have also heard that if they think that you need to prepare to move to Plan B/D, they won't hesitate to tell that either.

You need a plan instead of just being lead by your emotions.

I really hope you will make that call...
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 08:33 PM
In a world of all possibilities, I want a faithful and loving wife. I'm a bit shaken up right now as I just found something.

I finally got a good keylogger installed before loosing physical access. All I know, as of this afternoon, is that she Google searched for an email address with her name in it that I've never seen before and that she started a Private Browsing session and looked up the OM's profile and one of his relative's profiles on facebook last Sat for about 2-3 minutes.

That isn't good news.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 08:40 PM
That isn't surprising to me in the least. A wayward in the early stages especially needs a lot of accountability and a PLAN for recovering the M. The addictive nature of affairs is such that if you just leave a wayward alone, they will most likely not be able to adhere to NC on their own.

You need to decide if you want to work on R or not at this point. If you want to R, then you need to spend as much time as possible with your W, let her know she will be accountable for her actions and get a plan going with the Harleys.

Or you can just continue in Plan Confusion.

You need to make a decision. Soon.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 08:54 PM
Is recovery really possible? Is this really to be treated like substance addiction?

I've gotten to the point that if we can truly recover, I'd do it. But I need HER back. Not a wife teetering on the edge of fidelity. My hesitation is whether she's really all here, you know what I mean? It's hard, really really hard, to know that the love of your life is attached to another, disregarding your trust and marriage in the process. Especially after everyone knows and it was already taken as far as possible.

What would you do if you were me? I've ranted like a moron for a while on this forum. I've screwed up a lot along the way. You know my story. Can she ever turn her love fully towards me? Or will I be chasing down emails and chats for the rest of my life? Or worse, has she developed a propensity for infidelity?

She's moving 2 hours away as we speak. We're NOT going to be spending time together in this arrangement. If this is an addiction however, the answer must be that we get counseling and move far from the OM, right? If we're supposed to be spending time together.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 09:10 PM
Yes, recovery is possible. There are MANY here who have recovered. It REALLY is like a substance addiction. The same chemical reactions happen in the brain. She is an addict. She needs guides in place to help her overcome the addiction. She doesn't know what they are, but we can help you show them to her.

Yes, she can turn her love to you. Yes, you can recover IF she fully implements the MB program. You can have a healthy happy marriage. It is POSSIBLE, but it isn't GUARANTEED.

A lot of it hinges on her. But there are signs favorable to the marriage.

I can't say what I would do if I were you.

This is a leap of faith you're going to have to take. A gamble with your future and the payout can be big, can be EXACTLY what you want, but the cost of failure - only you can say if you're willing to take that cost.

The fact that she is moving away from OM is a good sign.

The only way you can do this is if you are together. Her moving 2 hours away WITHOUT you will be the death knell of your marriage.

Only you can make this choice Obr.

But the signs are favorable, others have done it, it is possible. Are you willing to try, or would you rather walk? There is no judgement on my part either way. This is your life. You have to live with the consequences of your decision, either way.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/05/10 10:06 PM
If there is a reasonable chance that recovery is possible, I want to try. This has been the most stressful and painful time of my life so far, but if there is a good chance we can put this behind us for good, I'm game.

If it is an addiction and I'm supposed to conceptualize it as such, that gives me motivation. The alternative is that my wife is nuts and doesn't care about me in the grand scheme of things; that I can't handle and leaves me drained.

I don't know what I should do from here. Leaving work is not going to be easy as I'm responsible for a lot right now. They might be willing to let me work remotely for a temporary length of time. If not, I could just leave. It's the middle of the holidays and both of our families are in the city she's moving to. I could perhaps move there with her, living together with family and friends until our apartment gets rented out. After the holidays we could move from there.

I've put a request in for the MB telephone conferencing to get professional help. Hopefully they'll be able to set up a session soon.

As far as effort goes. I'm not holding back any more as I did with some of the earlier MB advice. This experience has been soul crushing and I can't take any more.

Apart from the keylogger alerts, evenings are the worst. The silence is deafening.
Posted By: _SOL Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 06:16 AM
Prayin' for ya Orb. I know that silence too. Try to do something positive for yourself if you can.

That's great that you are scheduling with the Harley's. They are an incredible source of help.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 01:27 PM
Orb - recovery IS possible. I know you've been through h e double hockey sticks. Calling MB for coaching is one of the BEST things you could have done.

I will say - recovery is ONLY possible if you two are together. If you can, work from home and go with your wife. If your job will allow you, see what you can work out.

Give it a shot. In the end you will know that at least you did your best.

Have you been in contact with your wife? Is she willing to write a No Contact letter as described in SAA?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 02:37 PM
Thanks SickofLimbo.

@Vibrissa
She's done 2 NC letters in the past. Both broken. The second was terribly written and she didn't consult me on it. She's likely willing to write another, but after 2 previous ones, should I even bother asking? I doubt he'll take a third one seriously.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 03:53 PM
The other NC letters didn't count because she was still working with OM. Ask her to write one modeled after the one in SAA and it should be approved by you. It is a good first step to R if she is willing to do it in this way. As you can see, when they want to write their own letter, that is a good indication they aren't ready to let go of the affair. So ask her and see what she says.

Also:
Have you shown her the Requirements of Recovery from this website and is she willing to following them (be transparent, O&H, develop EPs and spend 15+ hrs UA/week with you)?

Has she agreed to coaching or the online program with the Harleys?

If she is willing to do the above, I would say it is a very good start for recovery, obr.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 04:42 PM
I'll ask about doing a NC letter.

She knows about the requirements of recovery and claims she's willing to follow everything, except she's now out of reach, so the 15+ hrs/wk is impossible. She signed the Marriage Recovery (not sure if that's the name) Agreement in the back of SAA. That was one week after she dumped the rest of the truth on me.

We're scheduled for telephone coaching tomorrow afternoon with Steve. I hope it helps.

She's interviewed for 2 positions today and it went well. One requires up to 50% travel, the other is practically no travel. I'm not too excited about the first. They are moving fast on filling the position.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 05:11 PM
She's interviewed for 2 positions today and it went well. One requires up to 50% travel, the other is practically no travel. I'm not too excited about the first.
This isn't going to work, obr. Dr. Harley says NO NIGHTS apart. It is invitation to affair and it is going to prevent you two from getting the UA time you need.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 05:15 PM
Let her know that a condition of recovery, for you, is no nights apart - for the rest of your lives.

Then let her decide which job she will pursue. Her decision will tell you a lot.
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 05:16 PM
Yeah, I know that won't fly. Better she hears it from a marriage coach than me right now. I'm going to make sure that's brought up during tomorrow's call.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 05:18 PM
Good idea. Good luck tomorrow!
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/06/10 11:09 PM
Tomorrow's call can't come soon enough.

I've got to tell you, it's really hard to watch this keylogger stuff pop up and all the while she claims to our families that she's "going to fight for me" and "do what it takes".

With the Internet today, I'm not sure how I can ever stop her from looking him up. I worry that if deciding between Facebook and our marriage, she'd end up choosing Facebook. Hopefully I am very wrong.
Posted By: Scotland Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/07/10 12:12 AM
Obr, I hope you get some good direction from the Harleys so we can help you get on a path.

You need to understand, your WW had the affair. You need to set that bar HIGH. You already had 2 FR's, don't set yourself up for more. Take care.
Posted By: Vibrissa Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/07/10 09:49 PM
How'd the coaching go, Obr? How you doing?
Posted By: obr3 Re: Help needed to end WW's EA - 10/08/10 02:12 AM
The coaching went well. We each got individual time to talk. She's supposed to be doing tasks between each session to care for the injury to our marriage. Emotional connectivity is supposed to be impossible until the damage from the affair is under control.

He assured me that she's addicted to the relationship. Most of our time was spent getting our story told.

As for spending time together, I'm going to inquire about remote working on a temporary basis for a few weeks/months. Fortunately my job rarely depends on me being anywhere specific. I'm close enough that I could drive up one day a week and also be here for critical meetings. If they aren't willing to play ball, I'll have to figure out something else.
© Marriage Builders® Forums